[GUIDE] How to UNBRICK your Optimus G - security error, bootloop etc

Search This thread

stubull05

Jun 12, 2010
great

I got the same "Android on the operating table" bootscreen, but eventually it booted up without me touching it. Optimus G resurrected in Korean, I'll take thanks a mil!!!! Now I just need to flash cynagenmod 10 :laugh:

Last edited:

JUSTXHOPE

Jan 27, 2013
6) Unzip the downloaded updater zip file and run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe. Use the settings below

Type: 3GQCT
Phone Mode: CS_Emergency
KDZ file: navigate to the folder which you have saved the downloaded KDZ from the step (1)

EDIT : i don't see no KDZ file, its a Original LG Firmware.exe

and when i navigate to put KDZ file, nothing seems to show up.................. any idea ? thanks.

brownsmell

Jun 21, 2011
anyone else on windows 8 that when you go into download mode on the g windows crashes?

No. I see it in device manager under modems > LGE AndroidNet USB Modem

---------- Post added at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 AM ----------

I would like to mention what happened to me. I accidentally wiped my sdcard on my e971, which has no external sdcard. So I lost my backups and had no rom on it I could flash, all wiped, and stuck in bootloops. I was able to boot into fast mode by holding power + vol up. Then pressed Vol down, Vol down, Power to get into CWM. I already had my CWM updated to 6.0.2.3 and you will need to do this if you want to be able to make a proper nandroid backup that you can actually restore from. Once in CWM, ADB will work to communicate with the phone.
# adb shell
# mkdir /sdcard/AAA
# exit
# adb push /windows/users/MYROM.zip /sdcard/AAA
wait 5-10 mins for windows to move the rom to the phone
after that you can do the factory and cache wipes, format /system, and then flash your zip file.
All good now.

I am glad I got to wipe my sdcard, there was too many garbage folder trees when I tried to flash a new rom in CWM I had to navigate more :) Nice and clean now.

SeekerofLight.iz

Jan 30, 2013
Texas, US
Really quick favor!!

Can someone please enter my information into the "Original LG Firmware" program in the first step and give me the link to the KDZ? I've been getting an (Unhandled Exception) error on both my computers and it doesn't output a link or anything, I can only continue (which does nothing) or quit. :/

Model: LGE970

IMEI: 013287000748556
or
Serial #: 211KPVH074855

Thanks in advance. I've been looking for workarounds to unbricking my Optimus G for hours and I'm beginning to freak out. :/ I'll make sure to give you a +1 Thanks ^^

BloodBaron

Dec 3, 2010
Winnipeg
Can someone please enter my information into the "Original LG Firmware" program in the first step and give me the link to the KDZ? I've been getting an (Unhandled Exception) error on both my computers and it doesn't output a link or anything, I can only continue (which does nothing) or quit. :/

Model: LGE970

IMEI: 013287000748556
or
Serial #: 211KPVH074855

Thanks in advance. I've been looking for workarounds to unbricking my Optimus G for hours and I'm beginning to freak out. :/ I'll make sure to give you a +1 Thanks ^^

i believe att phones use lgnpst to unbrick

see
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2006946&highlight=lgnpst

SeekerofLight.iz

Jan 30, 2013
Texas, US
Thanks!

as far as i know this this methode may work for sprint/att altho i think lgnpst is better/easier but only available for sprint and att phones

the kdz method is what roger/bell/telus, korean, japan use to recover

Thanks! You've actually have helped me a lot! I FINALLY found the proper links that I needed to unbrick my phone, and having you rule out the kdz method saved me a lot of time! ^^

For anyone having as much trouble as I did finding the links to unbrick the AT&T LG Optimus G, here's a link with instructions and the download link. :laugh:
http://pastebin.com/g8hXBaaA

Last edited:
Reactions: jj247 and fuzzy3000

willfill

Jan 27, 2013
App for KDV not working

So whenever I use the app to get the KDZ I get this error

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: index."

This is entering my model number as E970, and my IMEI number (013287000505477)

*Also I just tried entering the IMEI without the last digit, and without the last zero, with and without the -dashes- , and got the same error as when I enter S/N.

If I enter my serial number (210KPMz050547) I get the error

"Unsuccessful in connecting to server or phone informations is wrong!"

Can you guys help me out?

EDIT: Found out that ATT and Sprint do not work with this, should have read the thread more thoroughly, noob mistake. Using LGNPST now, hopefully it will work. Update: it worked =D

Last edited:

ruaknight

Dec 26, 2012
I've just format system and unfortunately the rom isn't installing and now it show nothing when booting up but blank screen. I still have access to boot loader and recovery mode (no backup). Is there anyway to unbrick it?

easy_hk

Mar 11, 2012
Vivo X60
will this unbrick method delete all the user data ?

btw, if do a factory restore, all data will be delete ? or only data under certain folder will be delete ? anything/folder will left after factory reset ?

thanks

ManyouRisms

Jan 12, 2012
Computer crashes

Hey guys, I was having some issues with the computer crashing with usbxhci errors, which sounded like driver errors so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the usb drivers, (using asus gaming laptop with usb 3.0, windows 8 64 bit), was still blue screening when I entered download mode, what ended up working was using the download mode technique using the usb slot on my nintendo wii, unplugging it and plugging into my computer as it was in download mode. The problem I am having now, is its not wiping, adb wipe just enters recovery, so i'm wondering if theres a way i can wipe using total commander? I tried renaming the /data folder but its read-only, so i'm not sure what else to try.

Regards!

edit: I wasn't able to get into factory reset using volume down and power, but for some reason now it worked. looks good now, thanks.

edit #2 a million years later

Also found some seemingly more stable intel drivers for any Windows 8 users out there having this problem. Check out http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers

Last edited:
Reactions: theniel

durkvenema

Feb 16, 2013
Original LG firmware

Hi,
As you have the Korean version and you have to file the serial number and type I assume you will get the Korean software again?
Rgrds, Durk

tankzar

Oct 2, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Does anyone know how to retrieve an older KDZ file for Bell E973? The URL generates a link for H firmware, I need F to downgrade to root. Thanks in advance for the help!

cryolithic

Aug 21, 2010
Vancouver
So, if you get stuck on a boot loop like I did, you can press Vol Down and Power to wipe the data on the phone, as the wipe.bat in the first part is broken.

Reactions: mastor10

Jamessr79

Mar 1, 2013
cab file to kdz file

Ok I have the file downloaded to do the fix, but the file is a cab file but the software wants a kdz file. How do I change the file format?

sdhanve

Dec 13, 2012
Phone is not starting after taking backup from rom mangaer, showing security error

Please help me.

My lg optimus black p970 is dead

When i was take rom backup from rom manger it reboot and stuct.at lg logo.

Showing security error.:crying:

rubbertoes

Mar 4, 2013
I have a Sprint LG LS970, but it says made in Korea, so does that mean I have the Korean version?

Also when I try the steps on the first page, I get a cab file. I tried using the app and the link (csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=MEID) way. You can also see in the file it shows it as a .cab file.
and my MEID number on back of phone is only 14 digits.

Any ideas? Thanks for all you do!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For whatever reasons (improper rooting/flashing, power outage during updating, freezing/removal of LG bloatwares or simple bad luck etc), if you bricked your Optimus G and is stuck with a Security Error or in a bootloop, fear not, as long as you can put it into Download and Recovery Mode, all is not lost.

I got the korean version of the (almost) Optimus G (Optimus LTE2, f160k) and ran into the same security error problem that happened out of the blue.

The steps that I undertook below resolved the problem for me and has been proven to work on Optimus G by fellow members.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34516791&postcount=29

1) Download the latest KDZ from LG's server for your phone via the app below (kudos to the creator)

http://www.mediafire.com/?cgeb6o5osy2yl9c

2) Make sure you have LG United Drivers already installed, otherwise download from below

http://www.mediafire.com/?82nt1aeh04aqa3m

3) Download LG KDZ Updater

http://www.mediafire.com/?sj5y073xal03ntw

4) Download the manual adb wipe batch file

http://www.mediafire.com/?ru7erfxsz7p7s3p

5) Put your Optimus G into Download Mode by switching it off, attaching the usb cable to the phone, holding both the up and down volume buttons at the same time and lastly inserting the usb cable into the computer; wait for the drivers to finish loading if doing it for the first time.

6) Unzip the downloaded updater zip file and run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe. Use the settings below

Type: 3GQCT
    Phone Mode: CS_Emergency
    KDZ file: navigate to the folder which you have saved the downloaded KDZ from the step (1)

Click Launch Software Update and wait for the flash process to finish

7) Your phone will restart itself when IParam = 90 is displayed and proceed slower until you see IParam=1 again (which signals the end of flash, you can safely exit the program then and remove the cable from the phone). If phone boots up normally, congrats, skip the steps below and proceed to use the phone as per normal.

However, this most probably will not be the case for newer Optimus-es, as the data partition somehow wasn't wiped even when KDZ-ed, remaining 'dirty', thus causing bootloop or security infringement.

8) If the phone is stuck at the booting up LG/Telco logo, you will need to manually wipe the data partition.

9) Force the phone off by holding the power button for appx 15secs.

10) Put the phone into recovery mode by holding the volume up and home button concurrently, then press the power button. Let go of all the buttons after you see the LG logo on screen for the 2nd time and the screen goes blank thereafter (backlight may still be on). The phone will kind of reboot and then enters recovery mode. Repeat the process if you did not get it the first time.

11) With the phone in Recovery Mode, connect it to the computer, wait for the drivers to load (if doing it for the first time), unzip the wipe batch file downloaded earlier from step (4), double click on wipe.bat to execute the wipe command.

12) Your phone will auto reboot when wiped and (hopefully) boot as per normal.

Hope with this simple guide fellow members will feel safer when rooting or removing non essential LG wares from their Optimus G.

:)
    Ok I have figured it out. If anyone is having a similar issue here is what you do:

First follow the guide in this thread, if you are still stuck at boot logo even after the manual wipe power off your phone, hold down the power and volume down keys to enter factory reset mode and click power again to confirm a factory reset. This worked like a charm for me :)
    I have E973 from Bell and it's been bricked since sunday after renaming couple of system apps.
    I am trying to follow the instruction above but i can't download KDZ file with LG firmware downloader bc it just would not take my SN.
    Error msg is "unsuccessful in connecting to server orphone infomations is wrong!"
    Could anyone upload KDZ file for Bell E973 somewhere on the net that i can download?

It would be much appreciated..

Go here, replacing <yourimei> with your actual imei (just numbers, nothing else), it'll spit out a bunch of text including an address with the kdz.

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=<yourimei>
    Thanks for your response! So this method only works for the Sprint version??

as far as i know this this methode may work for sprint/att altho i think lgnpst is better/easier but only available for sprint and att phones

the kdz method is what roger/bell/telus, korean, japan use to recover
    I have E973 from Bell and it's been bricked since sunday after renaming couple of system apps.
    I am trying to follow the instruction above but i can't download KDZ file with LG firmware downloader bc it just would not take my SN.
    Error msg is "unsuccessful in connecting to server orphone infomations is wrong!"
    Could anyone upload KDZ file for Bell E973 somewhere on the net that i can download?

It would be much appreciated..

2nd thracky's view.

would recommend u do it on the PC, use the app, enter your model E973, enter your imei (15 digits, usually means omitting the the last 0 or digit), shd be able to download your KDZ.

:)