FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Radio][RIL]HOXL Radios/RILs including CM10.x based ROMs (Flashable zips)

543 posts
Thanks Meter: 561

By taylor.fowler, Senior Member on 5th June 2012, 07:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th March 2013, 05:07 AM |#1311  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
I flashed the 3.18 radio with TWRP just like I had flashed the 3.17 radio, but I don't get any service. Using *#*#4636#*#* to get to the menu to enable LTE/GSM doesn't work. It says 'Unknown", and whenever I try to put it to something else, it immediately goes back to unknown. It also shows no APNs (until I reflash CM/3.17). Am I doing anything wrong? Reflashing CM and 3.17 lets me use my phone normally.

Running CM 10.1-20130308 nightly.

9th March 2013, 05:14 AM |#1312  
Flag Arecibo P.R.
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECEXCURSION

Do you have s-off?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Yes now I have it thanks
9th March 2013, 01:19 PM |#1313  
Flag Medellín
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkingery

I flashed 3.18 with ril and picked you another signal bar in general around the house.

What is RIL?
9th March 2013, 02:57 PM |#1314  
Flag Virginia, USA
Thanks Meter: 740

More
Re: [Radio][RIL]HOXL Radios/RILs including CM10.x based ROMs (Flashable zips)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEduar

What is RIL?

I'm sure someone will be able to explain this better, but it's basically files on your device in the /system partition that help the radio function better.
The Following User Says Thank You to RollTribe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RollTribe Ad-Free
9th March 2013, 03:12 PM |#1315  
Flag Medellín

More
Thx a lot, newbie here.

So i can flash 3.18 Ril included on cm 10.1.

First time only flashed 3.18 without ril.

Enviado desde mi One X usando Tapatalk 2
9th March 2013, 03:12 PM |#1316  
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter: 3,477

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTribe

I'm sure someone will be able to explain this better, but it's basically files on your device in the /system partition that help the radio function better.

That's pretty much it

A Radio Interface Layer (RIL) is a layer in an operating system which provides an interface to the hardware's radio and mobile phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to ronnie498 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ronnie498 Ad-Free
9th March 2013, 03:19 PM |#1317  
Thanks Meter: 91

More
People are too hung up on ril's imo. I never flash them or worry about them because when I did I seen zero difference. I say to Hell with this ril talk

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to NerdFurgison For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NerdFurgison Ad-Free
9th March 2013, 03:26 PM |#1318  
Thanks Meter: 568

More
Quote:

What is RIL?

Radio = firmware
RIL(radio interface layer) = driver
Android = operating system

All 3 are "programs" that are running at different "levels", I have listed them from top to bottom in the order typically considered for how they interact. It is important to understand that a program is just code and how they interact is a philosophy programmers created and are now use to and not because it has to be set out that way.

In the case of the RIL, the API rarely/never changes so it is rarely/never updated.
The actual changes HTC make happen in the "Radio" program.

This is opposite to how say Windows/Nvidia tackle things. The firmware rarely/never changes and they make their changes in the "driver".
In Nvidia's case they do this because there is no standard way in x86BIOS/Windows for GPU firmware to be loaded from something as simple as the installed HDD, the firmware is actually written to chips on the card itself. It is just simpler to make all the code that gets changed inside the "driver" which is easily updated.

For our phones "radio" its trivial for the changes in code to happen at the "driver" level or the "firmware" level, HTC/Google decided they would stick changes in the "firmware". They did this because they created a separate partition for the radio so that they can protect it separately to the OS. Android typically means the phones OS should be open for tweaking, so it must be assumed the driver could easily be replaced.
Countries and Carriers have licensed spectrum to protect and transmitters must be licensed to use it, running custom radio code would break laws in many countries. This leads to the radio firmware being protected much more heavily than the OS itself.

It is because HTC is lazy and because we have awesome devs that we can replace the radio firmware at all. As far as HTC, Country communication regulators and carriers are concerned the user should NEVER be altering the radio software.

Radio:
radio(fancy code stuff) <-> ril(boring translator) <-> Android OS
Nvidia:
firmware(advanced fixed code that allows for flexible access) <-> driver(fancy code stuff and translator) <-> Windows

Note:
Radio is about wireless communications
Nvidia is about graphics processings. They are not similar technologies just some tech you may be familiar with.

PS. API = application programming interface.. and lets just say if you do not understand what that is.. I cant be arsed trying to explain that, go Google it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to twistedddx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift twistedddx Ad-Free
9th March 2013, 03:34 PM |#1319  
Flag Medellín

More
Thx all is clear now.

as read is better flash using RIL.
9th March 2013, 04:00 PM |#1320  
Thanks Meter: 568

More
Firmware and drivers also gets more vague when a hardware component like a GPU becomes a "computer" in its own right that talks to the "main" computer..
Think of it as:
Is graphics card a tool such as a drill in a tradesman's hand or are we talking about a second person that has a drill helping.
Is the GPU a tool the CPU is using, or is it actually a CPU in it's own right itself.
9th March 2013, 04:19 PM |#1321  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:

Thx a lot, newbie here.

So i can flash 3.18 Ril included on cm 10.1.

First time only flashed 3.18 without ril.

Enviado desde mi One X usando Tapatalk 2

I don't believe you should flash a ril with cyanogen. Radio is a little different concerning location and proper functioning
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
baseband, radio, rodgers, stock, telus

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)