FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Been reading about the battery situation...

35 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By 2BNDatte, Member on 11th March 2013, 07:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Okay, I have been reading about how there is supposedly NO WAY you can change out the stock battery inside the case with a larger one. I understand that is so, but WHY exactly can you not solder in a new, larger unit instead please? Is there some sort of firmware that will only support the stock battery or is it another kind of issue?

Can anyone please explain it to me? I have advanced skills for soldering, so I can handle pretty much anything barring a motherboard issue...

11th March 2013, 08:51 PM |#2  
Flag Caldwell, ID
Thanks Meter: 1,560

Donate to Me
More
Its a kernel issue. The battery is controlled by a custom driver.
11th March 2013, 09:53 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by giveen

Its a kernel issue. The battery is controlled by a custom driver.

I see, that is disappointing. Has anyone tried to tackle this? I'm guessing a resounding "NO". heh
12th March 2013, 04:35 AM |#4  
Warren, MI
Thanks Meter: 157

More
I'm not positive that you couldn't use a larger capacity battery but it probably would be physically larger and probably wouldn't fit.

Not Li-Ion battery but I have replaced a 3800mAh battery with a 5000mAh with no problem at all. This was a Ni-MH battery but a Li-Ion battery charging is a far simpler than a Ni-MH. I was able to install a larger capacity battery cheaper then an OEM. I've been doing this for years.
12th March 2013, 08:22 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
As far as I can tell, there is plenty of room for a larger battery inside the unit, the main problem seems to be getting it to work, yet I cannot find a single instance of ANYONE actually trying to put one in...

Are you quite sure it could be that easy? I really like this little tablet, but two things bother me: The battery life -SUCKS- and I don't like carrying external batteries with me.

As it is now I can get it fully booted and online in under a minute and all that is needed is to keep it running for more than a few hours and I will be very happy. (Well, until we get a finished version of ICS I won't be really really happy, but LOL)
12th March 2013, 02:05 PM |#6  
Flag Caldwell, ID
Thanks Meter: 1,560

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNDatte

As far as I can tell, there is plenty of room for a larger battery inside the unit, the main problem seems to be getting it to work, yet I cannot find a single instance of ANYONE actually trying to put one in...

Are you quite sure it could be that easy? I really like this little tablet, but two things bother me: The battery life -SUCKS- and I don't like carrying external batteries with me.

As it is now I can get it fully booted and online in under a minute and all that is needed is to keep it running for more than a few hours and I will be very happy. (Well, until we get a finished version of ICS I won't be really really happy, but LOL)

Why bother with ICS, when CM10.1 (Android 4.2.1) is more complete, better performance and battery life?

Also, look into your wifi sleep policy settings, this has a huge impact on battery usage when in standby.
12th March 2013, 03:10 PM |#7  
Warren, MI
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNDatte

The algorithm for charging a Li-Ion cell is simple. It won't matter what the capacity of the cell is but the charging rate is something that you can't change so it'll take longer to charge.

I have a automotive scope that uses 1600 mAh 7.2V Ni-MH pack stuck inside the unit. A PITA to change, it had standard RC type connectors so I installed a extender to go outside the unit. The OEM packs use "AA" cells but I had a 7.2V pack built using 5000 mAh sub "C" cells which I Velcro to the case. I could have used "D" cells which are up to 12000 mAh now but it would have way too bulky. I normally charge the packs on an external charger for speed although I do have it charge with the unit at times.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)