[UPDATED Feb14][How-To] Root AML8726-MX Generic Devices

Search This thread

JBolho

Nov 8, 2011
Porto
Oppo Reno8 Lite
This is a (very) small how-to regarding Root on Generic (unbranded, mostly called "MID") Android Tablets with aml8726-mx platform.

This file was made originally for Ainol Novo 7 Crystal tablet, but it works (or should work) on all devices based on the following platform:

AML8726-MX System-On-Chip, AMLogic Meson6 gXX costumer platform
Cortex A9 Dual-Core CPU @ 1.5Ghz
1Gb Ram
Dual-Core Mali400 GPU
Android ICS 4.0.4 or JB 4.1.1

Other exploits have been tried, like Bin4ary's method, Doomlord's method, SRS Root, One Click Root, but all of them can't seem to work (for now) for these devices when Android ICS 4.0.4 or Jelly Bean 4.1.1 is present. So, if you own one of these devices, use this file to gain Root access.

1 - Put the zip file on the root of your SD card
2 - Reboot to recovery (with the device off, press the Vol - and Power button together until it enters recovery)
3 - Select (using Vol keys) "apply update from EXT"
4 - Select the file and run it pressing the Power button
5 - Reboot your device

You should see before Android finishes loading a small notification saying "Android is updating", and after it finishes loading, if you go to the App drawer, you should see SuperSU installed.

UPDATE:

It seems that some of these devices that come with newer versions of Android have EXT4 FS instead of UBIFS.
XDA Member Lannig has managed to edit the META-INF file of the "Crystal-Root.zip", re-compress it and re-sign it.
With his permission, and by suggestion of XDA Member AbliB, i'm posting Lannig's root file here in the OP, so that users with these AmLogic devices with EXT4 File System can have root.

Credits for the original root file (Crystal-Root.zip) go to Soulflier @ Slatedroid.com

Credits for the alternative root file go to Lannig @ XDA

Attachments

• Crystal_Root.zip
    576.9 KB · Views: 41,472
  • utoo-root-signed.zip
    576.9 KB · Views: 30,449
Last edited:

thye666

May 25, 2010
This is a (very) small how-to regarding Root on Generic (unbranded, mostly called "MID") Android Tablets with aml8726-mx platform.

This file was made originally for Ainol Novo 7 Crystal tablet, but it works (or should work) on all devices based on the following platform:

1Gb Ram
Dual-Core Mali400 GPU

Other exploits have been tried, like Bin4ary's method, Doomlord's method, SRS Root, One Click Root, but all of them can't seem to work (for now) for these devices when Android ICS 4.0.4 or Jelly Bean 4.1.1 is present. So, if you own one of these devices, use this file to gain Root access.

2 - Reboot to recovery (with the device off, press the Vol - and Power button together until it enters recovery)
5 - Reboot your device

You should see before Android finishes loading a small notification saying "Android is updating", and after it finishes loading, if you go to the App drawer, you should see SuperSU installed.

Full credits for the file go to Soulflier @ Slatedroid.com

Thanks !!!!
This works for my Viewsonic VB100a pro using 4.1.1

Last edited:

thye666

May 25, 2010

1Gb Ram
Dual-Core Mali400 GPU

5 - Reboot your device

-------------------------------------
Need your help, i have use your root and it works find, but not sure what i did, after it reboot, the system hang and the screen gets lock up. I have use the factory default but still not working. Not sure if you have any way that can help me to see what happen.
the volume button still works. i.e. press up and down i can still hear the tone.

I must emphasize, i am not blaming your root program, as it was working fine
I am only seeking your help as i believe you may have some clue on how to troubleshoot. Thanks in advance.

JBolho

Nov 8, 2011
Porto
Oppo Reno8 Lite
-------------------------------------
Need your help, i have use your root and it works find, but not sure what i did, after it reboot, the system hang and the screen gets lock up. I have use the factory default but still not working. Not sure if you have any way that can help me to see what happen.
the volume button still works. i.e. press up and down i can still hear the tone.

I must emphasize, i am not blaming your root program, as it was working fine
I am only seeking your help as i believe you may have some clue on how to troubleshoot. Thanks in advance.

What happened exactly? Did the device boot properly after root? Or did this happen afterwards? If it happened on the first boot after root, than maybe this method is not suitable for your device, i suggest making a full factory reset (wipe cache and media partitions if the recovery has that option) and then do a factory reset in the recovery.

JBolho

Nov 8, 2011
Porto
Oppo Reno8 Lite
Thanks.,this worked with my coby kyros mid1060.,please tell me how to make system dump?.,then CWM?.,

I'm trying to find out that myself, since my tablet is a generic unbranded device. For now i only have root installed and nothing else, only the standard recovery. Since your device is not as generic, try searching Slatedroid.com for enything related to it, they have a ton of topics on most low-cost tablets on the market, including Ainol's, Coby's, Zenithink's, etc.

thye666

May 25, 2010
What happened exactly? Did the device boot properly after root? Or did this happen afterwards? If it happened on the first boot after root, than maybe this method is not suitable for your device, i suggest making a full factory reset (wipe cache and media partitions if the recovery has that option) and then do a factory reset in the recovery.

It did root properly, the root works very well. its my own fault that after root, i download lots of apps and change the "boot animation" and also run fix permission using Clockwork and all hell broke loose after reboot. It was "bricked" as it even factory default also cannot work.

- Luckly i search the web for 3 days and finally able to find the original ROM + the tools from a Chinese website and able to use PC -USB - Tablet to reload everything using ImageBurnTool.exe.

Now my tablet is back to normal and with this ImageBurnTool, i have make it "brick" few time and still able to restore to factory default.
Actually i was thinking of sharing the ROM and the website here, but not sure how to do it.
It seems there is no Forum on Viewsonic VB100a pro, i wish to setup one to help other and share my experience.

:victory:

Last edited:
Reactions: kangaroo666

tenspeedtodd

Mar 8, 2013
NEXT8D12F

I have tried this on my Nextbook NEXT8D12F which has AMLogic 8726-MX 1.5 Ghz and the ARM Mali TM-400 GPU but didn't have any luck.

I put the zip on the root of a formatted microSD and put it in the tablet whiles its off. Boot into recovery mode then it says:

E:Bad bootloader arguments
"(null)"
E:unknown volume for path [/udisk/factory_update_param.aml]
E:Can't mount /udisk/factory_update_param.aml

So I select the option 'apply update from sdcard' and select the Crystal_Root.zip and it starts doing something then says:

-- Install /sdcard ...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failes
Installation aborted.

Anyone know what's going on?

Cheers.

JBolho

Nov 8, 2011
Porto
Oppo Reno8 Lite
I have tried this on my Nextbook NEXT8D12F which has AMLogic 8726-MX 1.5 Ghz and the ARM Mali TM-400 GPU but didn't have any luck.

I put the zip on the root of a formatted microSD and put it in the tablet whiles its off. Boot into recovery mode then it says:

"(null)"

So I select the option 'apply update from sdcard' and select the Crystal_Root.zip and it starts doing something then says:

-- Install /sdcard ...
Installation aborted.

Cheers.

Have you tried to re-download the file? What Android version do you have on your device? This is designed for ICS 4.0.4 or JB 4.1.1 and possibly 4.1.2. The error you're getting suggests that the file is corrupted but there is a chance of your device manufacturer has it's own Android customized version and some paths may be different from the generic Google version. (This happens with Huawei for example)

rchevi

Mar 12, 2013
ROM Android 4.1

It did root properly, the root works very well. its my own fault that after root, i download lots of apps and change the "boot animation" and also run fix permission using Clockwork and all hell broke loose after reboot. It was "bricked" as it even factory default also cannot work.

- Luckly i search the web for 3 days and finally able to find the original ROM + the tools from a Chinese website and able to use PC -USB - Tablet to reload everything using ImageBurnTool.exe.

Now my tablet is back to normal and with this ImageBurnTool, i have make it "brick" few time and still able to restore to factory default.
Actually i was thinking of sharing the ROM and the website here, but not sure how to do it.
It seems there is no Forum on Viewsonic VB100a pro, i wish to setup one to help other and share my experience.

Could you pass me the link to download the rom of android 4.1 for tablet vb100a pro?
thank you very much

tenspeedtodd

Mar 8, 2013
Have you tried to re-download the file? What Android version do you have on your device? This is designed for ICS 4.0.4 or JB 4.1.1 and possibly 4.1.2. The error you're getting suggests that the file is corrupted but there is a chance of your device manufacturer has it's own Android customized version and some paths may be different from the generic Google version. (This happens with Huawei for example)

I'll give it a re-download and try again later.
Yeah mine is 4.0.4 ICS.

Edit:
I re-downloaded and put the zip on a different microSD but same things agian.

Last edited:

genisuresh

Jan 16, 2009
can u pls tell me how to put Nextbook Next8d12F into recovery mode?

hi,

can u pls tell me how to put Nextbook Next8d12F into recovery mode?
i have tried pressing Vol - button and power. it didnt work.
can u pls guide me?

"(null)"

-- Install /sdcard ...
Installation aborted.

Cheers.

jericho7993

Mar 14, 2013

i also need it Could you pass me the link to download the rom of android 4.1 for tablet vb100a pro?
thank you very much

thye666

May 25, 2010
For those who need the VB100a pro rom, go to below cloud to download. Note this doesn't belong to me, i just stumble upon it from a Chinese Forum
http://yunpan.360.cn
1390716520@qq.com
viewsonic
-- once login, double click on the third folder[安卓-平板-固件], you will see [VB100a pro] folder, there are 4.0 and 4.1 i test 4.1 it is working. 4.0 does not working on my vb100a pro

Last edited:
Reactions: 1982gmcP

thye666

May 25, 2010
线刷 == USB to tablet. it is the only method when you have brick(no recovery menu) your Tablet
TF == put to sim card and use recovery menu

joseph457

Aug 6, 2012
CWM

1Gb Ram
Dual-Core Mali400 GPU

5 - Reboot your device

-hello do you have CWM for aml8726-mx?

RicAndroid

Aug 5, 2012
Dude....you rock. I have been trying for days to root my dad's Zeki 7" 4.1.1 Jelly Bean tablet. This worked without any problems. Just flashed the zip and waited for Android to update and....rooted. Now, I got this bad boy looking like a Nexus 7. And with Google Play!!!

Thanks for your contribution....I will give donation once I have enough money because this is just plain awesome!!!! :good:

iluvatrix

Aug 23, 2012
For those who need the VB100a pro rom, go to below cloud to download. Note this doesn't belong to me, i just stumble upon it from a Chinese Forum
http://yunpan.360.cn
1390716520@qq.com
viewsonic
-- once login, double click on the third folder[安卓-平板-固件], you will see [VB100a pro] folder, there are 4.0 and 4.1 i test 4.1 it is working. 4.0 does not working on my vb100a pro

hi

i cant seem to get to the cloud
please help

thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1Gb Ram
    Dual-Core Mali400 GPU

5 - Reboot your device

UPDATE:

It seems that some of these devices that come with newer versions of Android have EXT4 FS instead of UBIFS.
    XDA Member Lannig has managed to edit the META-INF file of the "Crystal-Root.zip", re-compress it and re-sign it.
    With his permission, and by suggestion of XDA Member AbliB, i'm posting Lannig's root file here in the OP, so that users with these AmLogic devices with EXT4 File System can have root.

Credits for the original root file (Crystal-Root.zip) go to Soulflier @ Slatedroid.com

Credits for the alternative root file go to Lannig @ XDA
    Hi Lanning,
    As you have managed to get this updated and trusted, do you mind sharing the zip file which has the [mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/system", "/system");] in it?
    Thanks in advance. :good:
    Sorry for the late reply. Here it is: http://ge.tt/api/1/files/2ujyScg/0/blob?download
    Oh, and I'm Lannig, thanks. No 'n' before final 'g' :)
    Before I proceed to this rooting method, is this method possible for TM-MID730 4.1.1 tablet device?

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Anyway in 4.1 folder, which of those two is the ROM? the other one has a file size of 400+mb o_O that's huge

To know if this file will root your device, you have to see if your device's hardware matches the description (AML8726-MX board with Dual Mali MP400 GPU)
    If this is your hardware, it's 90% guaranteed it will work. It's not 100% guaranteed because some manufacturers tinker with their Roms and kernels and change some key permissions, system file locations, and partition managing. Anyway, even if it does not work, it should not brick your device.

The Rom link you are quoting is for Viewsonic VB100 tablets, not your device, so even if this root method works for VB100's, you should not try other manufacturer's Roms unless you REALLY know what you are doing. Just an advice...
    Dude....you rock. I have been trying for days to root my dad's Zeki 7" 4.1.1 Jelly Bean tablet. This worked without any problems. Just flashed the zip and waited for Android to update and....rooted. Now, I got this bad boy looking like a Nexus 7. And with Google Play!!!

Thanks for your contribution....I will give donation once I have enough money because this is just plain awesome!!!! :good:
    Hello - may I have some help here, guys?
    This zip does install on my tablet but it does nothing. I've figured out why: my UTOO tablet is AML8726-MX based but its 4.2.1 Android uses an ext4 /system filesystem, not ubifs.
    Based on update packages published by the manufacturer, I have figured out that I need to change one line in the updater-script to:
    Code:
    mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/system", "/system");
    Easy enough to modify the script and rebuild the zip file (yes I do this on a Linux box) but obviously I need to re-sign it.
    All my attempts based on various tools and tutorials found here and there have failed, I get an "installation aborted" at the package verification phase, so I presume that it's not properly signed.
    Can anyone please point me at the right way to re-sign the modified zip?
    Thanks in advance.

EDIT : made it ! eventually. I've found a small signer.zip archive made by a user called Skelton on a french-speaking forum that contains a bat file and all that's needed to resign an APK or an update ZIP file (I don't have the link at hand, biut Googling "signer.zip Skelton" will find it).
    What this script does really doesn't look very different from what I had been trying earlier, but obviously there must be a difference because it works !
    Comments on this still welcome.