[APP][4.0+] TopNTP 1.1 - Achieve Rapid GPS Locks, Use more GPS Sats, Reliable NTP

Search This thread

crypted

Nov 20, 2007
Miami, FL
derekgordon.com

GPS.conf Profiles
This app does installs a customized gps.conf file for your GPS. It has several different profiles to choose from. We recommend to use the default Google profile but it is up to you. Apart from the general profiles, you can customize the one profile you choose to fit your own needs.

NTP Servers
Derek Gordon maintains a special NTP server pool for you. Dispite what everyone thinks, it is not necessarily the one closest to you which is the best. We consider Derek Gordon's server to be the best option to choose because it has the best data and is most frequently updated.
For more information about the NTP server check out the "About this app" section found under the settings of this app. Also, feel free to visit derekgordon.com for more in depth information.

aGPS Alamanacs
Derek Gordon maintains a special aGPS almanac for devices using Qualcomm or similar chipsets. This xtra.bin data file is updated every 30 minutes and is located on a content delivery system maintained by the generous donations of ther userbase.
For more information about the NTP server check out the "About this app" section found under the settings of this app. Also, feel free to visit derekgordon.com for more in depth information.

Donations
To maintain the server we need money. Donations through this app will be divided between Derek Gordon (Crypted) and Zatta on XDA.
Each star costs 2 Euro and will reduce the waiting time before you can install the patch. 0 star users wait 20 seconds, 1 star users 10, 2 star users only 5 and 3 star users and Premium users can install immediately.
You can become a premium user for only 5 Euro. This is a discount of 1 euro compared to a three star user! We choose this method to allow every one to use all features of this app and because we believe in XDA developers users. Please, don't leech!

Backup and Restore
On the first run of this app a backup is made on your SD card. Don't remove it because a backup is only made during the first run (or at an update if you choose to remove it anyway) and no other backup is found on your SD card.

ROM Updates
The patch this app provides is located on your /system partition so every time you do update your ROM the patch is overwritten and you will have to redo the patch.
Unless you are using a Cyanogenmod based ROM and your rom has addon.d support. In that case a script will be placed in the addon.d directory to preserve the patch.
It can be disabled in the app's settings but is enabled by default.

ASUS Users
On ASUS roms a typical file is present at /system/etc/gps, namely the gpsconfig.xml file. This app pathes that file as well, to be specific the PeriodicTimeOutSec parameter. Of course a backup is made of this file as well.

Get it on Google Play!

Thanks to Sneakyghost for German translation!

Last edited:

Zatta

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
Dec 22, 2010
Sneek
Changelog

Version 1.1:
  • Now also localized in Italian, translations by XDA Member @Kiba No Ou

Version 1.0.5:
  • Removed in-app donations, thanks to everyone who has donated!
  • improved mounting /system to RW

Version 1.0.4:
  • Added German translation. Huge thanks to @Sneakyghost for this!

Version 1.0.0:
  • Repaired addon.d file preservation function (thanks @karimrim)

Version 0.9.9:
  • Bugfix for the app FC after quickly checking donation options
  • Link to the app thread under settings
  • Updated database; removed empty items
  • Updated Dutch translations

Version 0.9.2:
  • Bugfix for the addon.d script
  • Added specific supl hosts spinner
  • Re-organised the database, less profiles, better names for them
  • Added a reset custom button in the preferences

Version 0.9.1:
  • First public beta
  • Minor changes to some strings

Version 0.6.6:
  • Reverted busybox downgrade from 7 to 9 (now it is cm9 again)
  • Addon.d support finished (enabled by default)

Version 0.6.3:
  • Using busybox from cm7 instead of cm9
  • Started implementing addon.d support
  • Started translating (to Dutch)

Version 0.6.2:
  • Using busybox from cm9 instead of cm10
  • bugfix: the setup screen not disappearing after showing the install dialog

Version 0.6.1:
  • Move away from using a script from the shell
  • Using a loader instead of AsyncTask
  • Speed improvements
  • Added permissions for super user acces and write external storage

Version 0.2.0:I
  • ntroduced a welcome screen
  • Introduced this changelog
  • Stringify it all
  • Introduced the backup and restore functionality

Version 0.1.0:
  • Updated database handeling.
  • In app billing fully tested.
  • Use of CM10's busybox binairy.
  • Implemented patching the gpsconfig.xml file for asus devices.
  • UI work.

Version 0.0.1:
  • Initial closed beta release.

Last edited:

Zatta

Dec 22, 2010
Sneek
Download the apk from the playstore of downoad it from here!

Personal note: I prefer if you download it from the paystore because I an highly interested in the statistics it provides to me. However, if you re unabe to download it from the laystore, feel free to use the download from xda. It is the exact same apk. All functions are for free, we just need your absolutely voluntarily donations to keep the server up in the air. We trust XDA users fully!

Attachments

• TopNTP099.apk
    656.3 KB · Views: 1,337
  • TopNTP100.apk
    656.5 KB · Views: 860
  • TopNTP104.apk
    665.7 KB · Views: 3,810
Last edited:

Nightshadow931

Oct 25, 2011
Belgrade
Xiaomi Mi 10
Installed.
I use GPS Status app for testing my GPS, and after installing this app, it needed <10 secs to find my exact location.And I wasn't even under the clear sky.It usually takes min or two to get lock.The thing is, when I opened maps, it wasn't so precise.The circle was around 1km big.Thats strange.I will test more tomorrow though.
Can you explain exactly how this app helps to get quicker gps lock?

Reactions: jordanpa and Zatta

Bull_Moose

Jul 4, 2011
Millsboro
Re: [APP][4.0+] TopNTP 0.9.2 - Achieve Rapid GPS Locks, Use more GPS Sats, Reliable N

Awesome job Bro. Crypted! I will definitely try this out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Zatta

.xxx.

Oct 8, 2011
Mumbai
Re: [APP][4.0+] TopNTP 0.9.2 - Achieve Rapid GPS Locks, Use more GPS Sats, Reliable N

Thanks crypted and zatta. As usual the patch works awesome. Got a gps lock in 1-2 secs in India :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

anuseb89

Nov 5, 2012
Bangalore

Gps lock in less than 6 sec..damn fast!!!! Thnks...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using xda app-developers app

Zatta

Dec 22, 2010
Sneek

Can you explain exactly how this app helps to get quicker gps lock?

I can't do that exactly because there are many variables that are tweaked. This has been a long process, Crypted spent roughly 2 years experimenting with the gps.conf file and maintains 30 (!!) threads for various devices all over XDA.
The main thing though is the excellent ntp server he maintains.

Thanks to all downloaders over the past two weeks. We are now on a steady 400 active installations of the app, that is a rate of 66 percent of the total downloads which is great!
What makes me even more proud is that I didn't get any bug reports so far..

Taptalked u see .. əəs n pəʞlɐʇdɐʇ

Reactions: jordanpa

AndroTech

Sep 30, 2007
On the first run it didn't creat the backup of original GPS.config file. It just created the empty topntp folder in sdcard.Also GPS lock improvements is not visible. I'm using job 4.1.1

Zatta

Dec 22, 2010
Sneek
On the first run it didn't creat the backup of original GPS.config file. It just created the empty topntp folder in sdcard.Also GPS lock improvements is not visible. I'm using job 4.1.1

Did it create an backup of the new file than? For which device?

Edit: can you sent a copy of your original /system/etc/gps.conf? Or has your rom the conf file somewhere else or something strange like that?

Last edited:

AndroTech

Sep 30, 2007
Did it create an backup of the new file than? For which device?

Edit: can you sent a copy of your original /system/etc/gps.conf? Or has your rom the conf file somewhere else or something strange like that?

No it didn't create the backup of original file. just the folder was created in the sdcard.The new file is created in system/etc folder. I will try to upload original GPS confg file from ROM dump. I'm on micromax a110 device. It is a rebranded Chinese phone available in Indian market

Just to give some more info if that will help. I'm using an extremely large host file to block ads. not sure if this has any connection.

Last edited:

PRGUY85

Jan 10, 2010
Been testing this on a Nexus 4 with Stock ROM and Franco Kernel. I've always had spotty GPS (if at all, specially inside buildings if I don't turn On WiFi). Yesterday, it locked me inside my house without WiFI after reboot in 3-4 seconds. Today, it has been kind of spotty. I flashed the General settings with no specific Country. I live in Puerto Rico. Do you recommend some specific settings?

Reactions: Coco@CCS

crypted

Nov 20, 2007
Miami, FL
derekgordon.com
Been testing this on a Nexus 4 with Stock ROM and Franco Kernel. I've always had spotty GPS (if at all, specially inside buildings if I don't turn On WiFi). Yesterday, it locked me inside my house without WiFI after reboot in 3-4 seconds. Today, it has been kind of spotty. I flashed the General settings with no specific Country. I live in Puerto Rico. Do you recommend some specific settings?

Describe your surroundings. Explain the comment that it always had spotty gps reception...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

PRGUY85

Jan 10, 2010
Sometimes it works others it doesn't. My surroundings change but its urban. At times it locks at a previous location.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

AndroTech

Sep 30, 2007
Yes it is rooted & even the GPS config file is getting updated. In the setting I choose Asia. India & Google profile

crypted

Nov 20, 2007
Miami, FL
derekgordon.com
Sometimes it works others it doesn't. My surroundings change but its urban. At times it locks at a previous location.

Come on now, don't be so vague...

When it doesn't work, where are you? When it works, where are you?

Do you have any non-standard Nexus 4 ROMs installed? Any other GPS tweaks installed?

If it locks at a previous location, it sounds like GPS isn't being activated and it uses cached coordinates.

PRGUY85

Jan 10, 2010
I have Stock ROM rooted with Franco Kernel, nexus 4. It doesn't work as well inside buildings which is to be expected. Yet I would like to have at least an estimate of my position. Couldn't this be done with network data? No other mods installed.

PRGUY85

Jan 10, 2010
I'm currently at home with WiFi off. The stock GPS icon shows my location is set however GPS status app nor Google maps Can lock on a location.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365480599485.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365480599485.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,138
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365480625838.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365480625838.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,093

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

GPS.conf Profiles
    This app does installs a customized gps.conf file for your GPS. It has several different profiles to choose from. We recommend to use the default Google profile but it is up to you. Apart from the general profiles, you can customize the one profile you choose to fit your own needs.

NTP Servers
    Derek Gordon maintains a special NTP server pool for you. Dispite what everyone thinks, it is not necessarily the one closest to you which is the best. We consider Derek Gordon's server to be the best option to choose because it has the best data and is most frequently updated.

aGPS Alamanacs
    Derek Gordon maintains a special aGPS almanac for devices using Qualcomm or similar chipsets. This xtra.bin data file is updated every 30 minutes and is located on a content delivery system maintained by the generous donations of ther userbase.

Donations
    To maintain the server we need money. Donations through this app will be divided between Derek Gordon (Crypted) and Zatta on XDA.
    Each star costs 2 Euro and will reduce the waiting time before you can install the patch. 0 star users wait 20 seconds, 1 star users 10, 2 star users only 5 and 3 star users and Premium users can install immediately.
    You can become a premium user for only 5 Euro. This is a discount of 1 euro compared to a three star user! We choose this method to allow every one to use all features of this app and because we believe in XDA developers users. Please, don't leech!

Backup and Restore
    On the first run of this app a backup is made on your SD card. Don't remove it because a backup is only made during the first run (or at an update if you choose to remove it anyway) and no other backup is found on your SD card.

ROM Updates
    The patch this app provides is located on your /system partition so every time you do update your ROM the patch is overwritten and you will have to redo the patch.
    Unless you are using a Cyanogenmod based ROM and your rom has addon.d support. In that case a script will be placed in the addon.d directory to preserve the patch.
    It can be disabled in the app's settings but is enabled by default.

ASUS Users
    On ASUS roms a typical file is present at /system/etc/gps, namely the gpsconfig.xml file. This app pathes that file as well, to be specific the PeriodicTimeOutSec parameter. Of course a backup is made of this file as well.

Get it on Google Play!

Thanks to Sneakyghost for German translation!
    Changelog

Version 1.1:
    • Now also localized in Italian, translations by XDA Member @Kiba No Ou

Version 1.0.5:
    • Removed in-app donations, thanks to everyone who has donated!
    • improved mounting /system to RW

Version 1.0.4:
    • Added German translation. Huge thanks to @Sneakyghost for this!

Version 1.0.0:
    • Repaired addon.d file preservation function (thanks @karimrim)

Version 0.9.9:
    • Bugfix for the app FC after quickly checking donation options
    • Link to the app thread under settings
    • Updated database; removed empty items
    • Updated Dutch translations

Version 0.9.2:
    • Bugfix for the addon.d script
    • Added specific supl hosts spinner
    • Re-organised the database, less profiles, better names for them
    • Added a reset custom button in the preferences

Version 0.9.1:
    • First public beta
    • Minor changes to some strings

Version 0.6.6:
    • Reverted busybox downgrade from 7 to 9 (now it is cm9 again)
    • Addon.d support finished (enabled by default)

Version 0.6.3:
    • Using busybox from cm7 instead of cm9
    • Started implementing addon.d support
    • Started translating (to Dutch)

Version 0.6.2:
    • Using busybox from cm9 instead of cm10
    • bugfix: the setup screen not disappearing after showing the install dialog

Version 0.6.1:
    • Move away from using a script from the shell
    • Using a loader instead of AsyncTask
    • Speed improvements
    • Added permissions for super user acces and write external storage

Version 0.2.0:I
    • ntroduced a welcome screen
    • Introduced this changelog
    • Stringify it all
    • Introduced the backup and restore functionality

Version 0.1.0:
    • Updated database handeling.
    • In app billing fully tested.
    • Use of CM10's busybox binairy.
    • Implemented patching the gpsconfig.xml file for asus devices.
    • UI work.

Version 0.0.1:
    • Initial closed beta release.
    Download the apk from the playstore of downoad it from here!

Personal note: I prefer if you download it from the paystore because I an highly interested in the statistics it provides to me. However, if you re unabe to download it from the laystore, feel free to use the download from xda. It is the exact same apk. All functions are for free, we just need your absolutely voluntarily donations to keep the server up in the air. We trust XDA users fully!
    It's been a couple? years since I've been on XDA. Let me say thank you to everyone who used the patches I made way back in 2011/2012 and kept going for years. It was an amazing adventure and I'm glad that some folks still find value in them. The NTP server pool I run is still top notch, by the way. Newer Android won't find much use for these patches, if any, but the correct time has always been the most important ingredient and still should be when you're modding GPS stuff. Cheers folks and thanks for all of those "thanks" clicks over the years.
    Bump..

I need the same. Or if someone could tell me how to write to the partition that would be great

I'm fully rooted on Note3, and of course, been having various GPS problems since upgrading to KitKat.

Seems that my TopNTP is not writing to gps.conf

Can someone please post TopNTP tweaked gps.conf using Derek Gordon servers ?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Ok, I did find gps.conf in /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files/ and copied it to \etc.

No changes. Still it takes forever to lock, most of the time doesn't lock at all.
    I'm just curious, should I change the permissions even after I copy it to \ETC ?

All comments above, I did some modifications to how the app mounts /system rw, please test attached APK and if it works or not, please report back with your ROM and device model.

Any test over intel socs?

QUE?!

How do I manually setup topntp to use addon.d scripts manually?
    It should install an addon.d script automatically if you check the check-box in the settings. If that doesn't work for one or another reason, you can find the script I wrote under /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files/67-topntp.sh and copy it manually to /system/addon.d and set the permissions accordingly.

Anyone can comment on this? A useful comment I mean ?
    maybe @crypted ?

I've removed the permission
    Code:
    <uses-permission android:name="com.android.vending.BILLING" />
    for two reasons:
    a) We @crypted and myself have reached our goals and the server can stay online for another decade with the donations received (Thanks a bunch everyone!)
    b) Google now wants independent developers to add their house address to the play store and I don't want that. The e-mail address I use for my developer account already gets flooded with spam because of the play store publication and I certainly don't want that with my home address. I develop apps for fun and it has to stay like this!