[MOD] EXT4All Continued + Now with TWRP 2.3 Support

Search This thread

iowabeakster

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks man. I appreciate the info (and everything else you've done).

I felt like having the dalvik moved w/ yaffs2 really did make certain things go quicker. But the mind often plays tricks. And it didn't really make much difference. Of course I never ran benchmarks to compare or anything...

For now, I just deleted some games and cleaned out their dalvik files. I also integrated some updated gapps into the /system and integrated their dalvik caches into /system too. I've now got 28 MBs free in the dalvik. We'll see how it works for a while.

Sir Lancelot

Dec 23, 2007
I'm having the exact same problem. Do we have a resolution to this?

Sent from my inc using xda app-developers app

Sir Lancelot

Dec 23, 2007
Which problem? As you're not quoting acting not described the problem, I don't know what you're taking about.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sorry Tiny. I should have proofed my text before sending.

I'm referring to not being able to add the nodatalimit mod. In TWERP it is not possible to mount cache so installing your latest ROM then nodatalimit then Pon's Gapps leaves me in boot loop(cyanogen circle hang). Returning to recovery shows I can't mount data or cache. I have to pull the battery and nandriod.

What needs to be mounted to install nodatalimit? What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my ADR6300 using xda app-developers app

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011

I'm referring to not being able to add the nodatalimit mod. In TWERP it is not possible to mount cache so installing your latest ROM then nodatalimit then Pon's Gapps leaves me in boot loop(cyanogen circle hang). Returning to recovery shows I can't mount data or cache. I have to pull the battery and nandriod.

Not being able to mount cache is a problem and it may be nothing you're doing wrong. I fear if a full wipe doesn't clear it you may need to RUU. I've seen it before where data or cache could not be mounted causing headaches for the users and it's a potential major issue. TWRP mounts data and cache fine for me. I can check and uncheck it.

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN

All of the ext4 mods have been updated to V2 to work with TWRP, so make sure your using the V2 no_data_limit_mod and not an older one. Or mabey one of the files got corrupted. I would try downloading all 3 files again and give it another try.

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
All of the ext4 mods have been updated to V2 to work with TWRP, so make sure your using the V2 no_data_limit_mod and not an older one. Or mabey one of the files got corrupted. I would try downloading all 3 files again and give it another try.
No, I believe he's got an actual issue with data and cache based on his description.

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
No, I believe he's got an actual issue with data and cache based on his description.

But he makes it sound as if when he restores a nandroid all is well with cache and data. If all is well with the nandroid restored, i assume one of the files hes flashing is messing things up. Mabey i misunderstood and it is an ongoing issue with cache and data.

Sir Lancelot

Dec 23, 2007
Wipe and install it all again worked

But he makes it sound as if when he restores a nandroid all is well with cache and data. If all is well with the nandroid restored, i assume one of the files hes flashing is messing things up. Mabey i misunderstood and it is an ongoing issue with cache and data.

I had to do a full wipe and clean install and now have the ext4 nodatalimit working. I can only assume it was something in my recent install that prevented me from selecting cache and data.

tekweezle

Jun 20, 2012
just wondering, if the file system is changed to ext4, is journaling enabled and would that cause issues down the road? i always thought the normal convention was to not use a journaling fs on flash memory due to excessive wear and tear.

of course for now, it;s the lesser of 2 evils as the stupid 149 mb app storage partition is just plain heinous...

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
just wondering, if the file system is changed to ext4, is journaling enabled and would that cause issues down the road? i always thought the normal convention was to not use a journaling fs on flash memory due to excessive wear and tear.

of course for now, it;s the lesser of 2 evils as the stupid 149 mb app storage partition is just plain heinous...
It's changed from ext3 which is journaled already to ext4 which is journaled, but data is set to writeback with the scripts in the zip to help improve performance.

The standard filesystem on Android has been ext4 for a while.

kirkers

Jan 1, 2011
Moto G6 Plus
Moto G7
What does Convert2Ext4 do with the Dalvik cache?

I hope this thread is still live, as the last post is a couple of weeks old. :fingers-crossed:

I think I have had complete success using Convert2ext4 (aka EXT4ALL). The version I used was "unlimited data normal dalvik"

My storage values changed as follows after running the fix:
Total Internal memory: 748MB --> 770MB (22MB increase)
ROM free space: <1MB --> 20MB (close to the value change of total internal memory)
Used internal memory: ~335MB --> 464MB (close to 128MB increase)
Remaining internal memory: ~420MB --> 306MB (close to 128MB decrease)

So, it seems that my ROM was being used to cache app data, which would explain why the value kept declining even though I NEVER added anything to it (using Titanium Backup Pro or anything like it). When free space on my ROM literally ran out, Android OS hit the proverbial panic button and warned me to free 512kb minimum to allow Gmail to download new mail. Now, it has 20MB free (and will hopefully stay that way, since I NEVER intend to transfer anything into the ROM!) -- The internal memory usage jump of 128MB probably indicates the Dalvik cache.

When I searched for anything called "dalvik" or "cache" using ASTRO file manager, I only came up with folders reporting "EMPTY". :confused:

Can anyone explain where to look or how to search properly?

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
I hope this thread is still live, as the last post is a couple of weeks old. :fingers-crossed:

I think I have had complete success using Convert2ext4 (aka EXT4ALL). The version I used was "unlimited data normal dalvik"

My storage values changed as follows after running the fix:
Total Internal memory: 748MB --> 770MB (22MB increase)
ROM free space: <1MB --> 20MB (close to the value change of total internal memory)
Used internal memory: ~335MB --> 464MB (close to 128MB increase)
Remaining internal memory: ~420MB --> 306MB (close to 128MB decrease)

So, it seems that my ROM was being used to cache app data, which would explain why the value kept declining even though I NEVER added anything to it (using Titanium Backup Pro or anything like it). When free space on my ROM literally ran out, Android OS hit the proverbial panic button and warned me to free 512kb minimum to allow Gmail to download new mail. Now, it has 20MB free (and will hopefully stay that way, since I NEVER intend to transfer anything into the ROM!) -- The internal memory usage jump of 128MB probably indicates the Dalvik cache.

When I searched for anything called "dalvik" or "cache" using ASTRO file manager, I only came up with folders reporting "EMPTY". :confused:

Can anyone explain where to look or how to search properly?
The MOD you're talking about doesn't touch dalvik at all but it does move all the app data in a partition called /datadata in the /data/data location to the main 750MB /data partition. The app data allows only 150MB of app data. Basically the 128MB you're seeing is the app data being moved to the larger partition and not loading the old app data location. This is done in a way that everything looks the same but internal memory reports more used due to app data. This is usually a good thing as now you don't have to worry about the silly 150 MB limit for app data.

Aug 11, 2011
Was looking to flash Tiny's CM10.1 builds and was wondering what the recommended Ext4 mod would be. Should I flash normal_data, no_data_limit_normal_dalvik, or no_data_limit_dalvik_moved? I'm new to this so pardon my ignorance.

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
So then it's sounding like I should go with no_data_limit_normal_dalvik... From what I've read, I would flash ROM, EXT4All mod, and then Gapps? Perhaps order doesn't even matter.

ROM first always. Then the order of the other two doesnt matter. Also if you update cm builds for instance you need to flash the no data limit mod again unless you're choosing to wipe to get rid of the mod.

Reactions: VisualPerfection
Aug 11, 2011
ROM first always. Then the order of the other two doesnt matter. Also if you update cm builds for instance you need to flash the no data limit mod again unless you're choosing to wipe to get rid of the mod.

Much appreciated, Tiny! Am looking forward to trying out your creations!

BelmontAl

Mar 21, 2013
I am having problems with my DInc (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2571761 ) but at least have it working again on Froyo.

I am already running into "Insufficient Storage Available" problems (Phone memory reads: Total Space 149MB, Available Space 18.63MB; Internal Phone Storage reads "unavailable")

Previously (before my phone died), I ran the Convert2Ext4_no_data_limit_normal_dalvik mod to address this problem.

Two questions:
1) My phone currently cannot flash via recovery as it cannot access the sd card. Is there a way to flash this mod using flashboot or abd?
2) Given my phones other memory related problems, is it recommended to even try this mod?

Thanks,
Al

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The purpose of this thread is to host a location and continue support for a really neat ext4 mod.

IMPORTANT: If you flash the no data limit mod you need to do it after every update or your data, which won't be lost will be hidden by the contents of the data data partition.

I'm going to keep this brief. The original thread was closed so I wanted to have a new location where everyone can find the files. But this is a new thread for Jermaine151's and my EXT4all mod.

Below is the original thread which already has a lot of useful information:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1315372

Here is where you can find most of if not all the EXT4All files:

http://dinc.does-it.net/EXT4_Mods/

Sorry this thread isn't too organized but I threw one together so people could post on it with their comments.

This mod should work on all AOSP ROMs including ICS ROMs and MIUI. It's been confirmed on CM7 and MIUI but I've also tested on CM9. It should also work on all Sense ROMs and does work on every Sense ROM I've tested. Be sure to flash a newer version of the gingertiny kernel if you use a Sense ROM as the kernel version flashed to add ext4 compatibility is out of date.

V2 Mods with TWRP 2.3+ support and proper support for filesystem tweaks for ROMs that are already set to use ext4 found below:

V2 EXT4All Mods

FAQ

Q. How do I know if the ext4 mod(s) worked?
    A. The best way is to do the following from terminal:
    su
    mount | grep /data

It should show a line with /data and ext4 and, if it has the no data limit, also a line with /data/data and ext4. If you're on an ICS/JB ROM it will show ext4 anyways. The best way to tell with the new version of the mod is to see if noauto_da_alloc shows in the results of the above commands.
    Hey, I've released a v2.0 of the ext4all mods with support for TWRP 2.3+. The ones starting with Convert2ext4(normal_data, no_data_limit_normal_data, no_data_limit_dalvik_moved, no_data_limit_dalvik_moved_revert) also fix the mount tweaks not applying on /data and /cache when they're already ext4:
    Below is my dropbox URL (please no abusing, cmlusco, feel free to mirror after doing any additional testing you want)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b6x8ld0rvq9glir/J8mH5hENoC/EXT4MOD
    the following thread contains very simple and plain english directions for using this MOD. it helped me, and it was my first time rooting. Thanks also to tiny4579 for posting this new thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1488351
    Question about this mod, I am running CM7.2, RC2, and onto rc3 soon.

I am having random resets, problems w/ my phone freezing, a mysterious message "sorry, process system is not responding", and other various issues. Could it be that the mod is causing some problems for my phone, or more about something that wasn't cleaned out when i flashed over a nightly?

Try a logcat before wiping which i would suggest in the end or else we won't know. I don't think the mod would cause that though.

Also pull /proc/last_kmsg.

So then it's sounding like I should go with no_data_limit_normal_dalvik... From what I've read, I would flash ROM, EXT4All mod, and then Gapps? Perhaps order doesn't even matter.