229 posts
Thanks Meter: 228

By syintiphic, Senior Member on 22nd March 2013, 08:22 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th March 2013, 08:41 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Re-tighten?
I posted in another thread that this helped my gps lock significantly. I was getting around 10/21 locks with fluctuating accuracy, but after tightening the screws, I got 21/21 lock at 9 feet accuracy.

However, for me, it seems like I have to loosen and retighten the screws every 2-3 days because I notice my gps getting worse. But as soon as I retighten them, it's back to being great.

Does anyone else have to keep retightening the screws?

26th March 2013, 12:47 AM |#12  
Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 796

More
Re: Simple Fix for your GPS - Samsung Galaxy S III
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmudd

I posted in another thread that this helped my gps lock significantly. I was getting around 10/21 locks with fluctuating accuracy, but after tightening the screws, I got 21/21 lock at 9 feet accuracy.

However, for me, it seems like I have to loosen and retighten the screws every 2-3 days because I notice my gps getting worse. But as soon as I retighten them, it's back to being great.

Does anyone else have to keep retightening the screws?

Not yet on 2 GS3's. Hope I don't have to.

I did pose the question in another thread where this threads talked about beginning began : wonder what is happening when we tighten these screws....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to jbdan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jbdan Ad-Free
26th March 2013, 01:49 AM |#13  
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 197

More
Well here is my take on what I think the problem is and why the screw fix works.. Understand I'm not making any assertions that this is the cause or that I know what the hell I'm talking about..

The back of the case (not the battery cover) appears to have an antenna.. This area has a copper contact point which sits in the area where the GPS of the phone is located.. If this part of the phone is loose, it doesn't make a solid contact with what I believe is the GPS antenna..

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1364258888976.jpg
Views:	36547
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1833782

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1364258939864.jpg
Views:	31676
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1833783

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1364258958588.jpg
Views:	14693
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1833784

Sent from my Commodore 64..
READY.
load"*", 8,1
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Hypnosis4U2NV For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hypnosis4U2NV Ad-Free
26th March 2013, 03:20 AM |#14  
Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 796

More
Thanks Hypnosis for your insight. Makes sense to me! Appreciate you posting this

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
26th March 2013, 04:18 AM |#15  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 228

Donate to Me
More
Thanks Hypnosis for sharing, this makes sense to me too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
26th March 2013, 12:58 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Amazing. I saw this link in another thread. Intermittantly I have decent GPS with some serious issues where it won't work or doesn't work well. So last night right before I went to be I tried it in our basement. Normally I don't see more than 1 or 2 satellites when in the basement but last night I got lock on 13/18 in 20 seconds or less repeatedly. I checked my wife's s3 against mine as hers is usually better but it was still only getting 3-4 and no lock. So I quickly tried the same fix and again her phone could suddenly see more sats and got lock.

this was also an issue on the fascinate and some of the original galaxy's iirc.
27th March 2013, 10:10 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 190

More
Well thank you very much sir/madam! This worked like a charm!!!!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to nyyankees1237 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nyyankees1237 Ad-Free
27th March 2013, 10:23 PM |#18  
Flag Crestview FL
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by syintiphic

Hi,

I have a simple GPS fix that worked for me. After posting and sharing in other forums this fix has also worked for many others who were frustrated with their GPS' not working, not locking onto satellites, and their phones acting erratically while navigating. Although this method seems too easy to be true, trust me it works and many people have confirmed that this method worked for them too and are now happy that their phone has a functional GPS and in some cases improved call quality.

I as well as many others performed many of the other fixes such as flashing back to stock, performing numerous battery pulls, using aGPS patches, making numerous edits to the gps.conf file, reprovisioning our phones, checking different ROMs, uninstalling/reinstalling Google Maps, clearing data for Google Maps and Google Service Framework, and so on. So before you do all of that please give my method a try.

I discovered this simple fix when I was trying to perform one of the other GPS fix procedures. The procedure required me to pull my battery. I noticed that when I removed my back cover that the back frame that has all the screws (10 total) was slightly loose on the left side. Once I tightened them all up my GPS worked immediately! Like I said, this method has been tested by many people and most of them report great success just by tightening their screws. If this method works for you you'll also notice that in addition to getting faster locks your navigation will work and won't drop your GPS signal.

Like I said it may not work for everyone but I would recommend that if you have a Samsung Galaxy S III definitely check the back frame of your phone and make sure you tighten the screws and make sure everything is secure. You too should now be able to achieve GPS locks consistently.

I hope this helps. If it does, as it has many others, please click thanks.

Cheers,
Syintiphic

This is the funniest thing in the world!!!!! I was having problems with my weather apps not locating me and I did this and it took a whopping 1/2 sec and it locked. Who know that this would be a fix to GPS. LOL
Thanks for the share!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to timnexus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift timnexus Ad-Free
28th March 2013, 01:53 AM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Did anyone ever figure out how or why this works?
28th March 2013, 03:16 AM |#20  
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 197

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by soohyunk83

Did anyone ever figure out how or why this works?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=39570338

READY.
load"*", 8,1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hypnosis4U2NV For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hypnosis4U2NV Ad-Free
28th March 2013, 05:04 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis4U2NV

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=39570338

READY.
load"*", 8,1

Oh thanks!
So looks like there is some logic to this miracle.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gps, gps fix sgs3 sgsiii galaxy siii, screws, sgs3, tighten

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)