Mime glass screen protectors

Search This thread

Coderedpl

Read through all 17 pages and debating getting it as my JLG protector went through a bit of a rough time recently.

Are any of you using the mime WITHOUT an extra home button stick-on? Is it "uncomfortable" to press the home button now or is it something silly/stupid that you can get used to/

gbk1

Jan 2, 2009
I can get used to it and I would prefer the home button being a little more recessed so that it won't get accidentally pressed when the phone is stowed.

Reactions: Coderedpl

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
Some kind of tape the first thing I looked to grab:laugh: but I only have duct tape :(

Does it really work? Will the tape's adhesive stuck to the glass?

I had to remove my protector a few times, got lots of dust under the protector, just stuck cellotape strip by strip to cover the whole protector (adhesive side) and the tape just peels off easily, does not affect the adhesive.

Reactions: gbk1

premiatul

Sep 25, 2010
I had to remove my protector a few times, got lots of dust under the protector, just stuck cellotape strip by strip to cover the whole protector (adhesive side) and the tape just peels off easily, does not affect the adhesive.

What is cellotape?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

bob52r

Mar 10, 2013
Miami, Fl
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
did install of the mime on note II today

Lots of bubbles that cannot be pushed out. I will have to wait a few days to see what happens. initially looks like bad install. i pulled the sp off a few times to try to improve the bubble situation.

i see zero lint using a magnifier glass. i did the install in the bathroom after running hot shower to steam up the room. used alcohol optical wipes designed fro cleaning my glasses. i made sure that the alcohol was fully evaporated before the install.

used this you tube re install of mime of the iphone5 as a general guide. this mime for iphone review of the actual install process was dome by everything4ipod. i am a newer member and cannot post links

the placement was easy, getting rib of the bubbles was a real challenge. i tried a number of different way to push the clusters of bubbles out the worked well with the ismooth sp.

if most of the bubbles do not disappear over the next few days, this mime sp will just drive me crazy. a few small bubbles would not disturb me.

the packaging is top shelf. the extra sp to the clean the screen is outstanding!!! mime seems to care about the details. i will not make any final judgement until i have a few days for bubble drying.

any suggestions on how to maximize the bubbles disappearing ie heat from hair dryer? i am just going to give the note II light use and hope for the best.

the note II looks great in my seido 2 part case. the edges of the mime match well with the case silicone soft liner. the look like they were designed to work together.

note re seido case's magnet and s pen. four ply rectangle of folded heavy aluminum foil was attached with packing tape--heavy duty tape to seal boxes--behind the magnet to the inside of the rigid harder tip frame. all interference from the magnet disappeared. this is a great fix that makes me same the this case work very well as a compromise between protection and the slender profile of the phone's design.

Last edited:

gbk1

Jan 2, 2009
Alcohol clean update

Just wanted to update my alcohol-clean-retry.

Before: On the onscreen bubbles can be moved.
I was able to push 50% of them out.
before.jpg

After: Almost all bubbles went away on their own.
There are no on-screen bubbles.
Top left edge still has lift. Near it is a bubble.
Bubbled to right of home button.
Notorious bottom edge has lift...
after.jpg

bob52r

Mar 10, 2013
Miami, Fl
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
i am 48 hours after install. works very well. except: bubbles. it is very difficult to push out bubbles with this mime glass sp. it was the first glass sp i have installed. a few tiny bubbles is not an issue for me. i have a cluster of bubbles maybe a 1/4 or 1/3 the size of a dime. i will contact mime.

the sp works well--i am pleased and have zero lint. the one large bubble cluster may be more than i can accept.:(

bob52r

Mar 10, 2013
Miami, Fl
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Mime and bubbles

In my frustartion, i tried a hair dryer: heat up the glass until tosty and press and push towards edge. i worked on this for a while this morning and now 7 hours later see a clear decrease in visiable larger bubble clusters--a major improvement. I will try this again tonight.

I am being slow and careful so as to not over heat the phone.:cool:

jbreeze228

Aug 12, 2011
Biloxi, Mississippi
I got all my bubbles out by just using the provided micro fiber cloth and pushing down really hard on the glass and did like scrubbing motions and I got them all out. But the top left corner doesn't stick at all. Contacted Mime a 8 days ago and haven't heard anything back.

eijisawakita

Sep 6, 2010
I got all the bubbles out in about 4 days. I had to rub and press the clusters of bubbles for a while. The only problem i have is also the top left corner. The bottom film didn't come off when tried to peel it so i had to use use my fingernails to kinda scratch the 1st film off which messed the sticker a little bit. I can live with that. The glass protector is perfect. I like how smooth it feels.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: crasher450

bob52r

Mar 10, 2013
Miami, Fl
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
4 days after application, small barely visible bubbles left

There is continuing improvement. I have been heating with hair dryer and pushing down. I only have tiny bubbles left now. I cannot see them except with a black screen.
IThe glass sp by mime is generally fabulous: typing, screen feel and using the stylus. i would rate it 4.5 as of this point because of the bubbles. This situation may still improve as I am only 4 days out and there have been very visible improvements over the last 24 hours.:laugh:

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------
My ---SEIDIO ACTIVE CASE--- a works very well, near perfect, with the mime glass sp. The soft rubber ridge frames the protector very well--thye just look good together. I have dark grey Note II and black-on-black active case.

Last edited:

jbreeze228

Aug 12, 2011
Biloxi, Mississippi
I contacted Mime again two days ago and told them about the top left corner and sent photos and there sending me a replacement for free! Top notch customer service and the guy I exchanged emails with was very nice.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

bob52r

Mar 10, 2013
Miami, Fl
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
OTTER BOX DEFENDER and MIME GLASS--FITS??????

Has anyone TRIED THE MIME GLASS WITH THE DEFENDER... does the denfender glass fit on the Note II with the Mime Glass?

Still love many things about the Mime glass BUT the dozen bubbles are not a satisfactory result. I try to ignore than, but they drive me crazy a few times per day. I love the feel and active of the real glass, BUT>>>>>>>>>>>...........

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
They shoulda made em smaller then so the whole thing adheres really well to the screen. Thats just me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Read through all the pages in this thread. I see a common problem of edges not sticking, obviously N2 screen is curved toward the edge and this is 9H hardened glass where edge will not bend to stick to the glass. Comment above summarize it really well - they should have made it smaller...

With all that said, I just got Vitreo temperated glass screen from Seidio, and it just covers the display area of the glass, not the whole thing. I haven't installed it yet, just aligned and took a few pictures (will post it in a review, whenever I get around installing it). But it's kind of a weird trade-off. You want your screen to have a maximum protection, and MIME looks great covering beyond display portion of the glass and going all the way around Home button - but as a drawback it doesn't stick at the edge and you need aluminum home stick-on button. Seidio shrunk the cutout of VITREO to where it maybe goes 1mm or less beyond the edge of display part of the screen and doesn't go all the way around home button (thus hoping I don't need to install aluminum stick-on button) - in theory it shouldn't have a problem sticking to the edge since margin is shrunk, but the trade off is that edge of the glass screen outside of display area will not be protected. Btw, anybody used Vitreo on their phone before?

crasher450

Feb 18, 2013
Read through all the pages in this thread. I see a common problem of edges not sticking, obviously N2 screen is curved toward the edge and this is 9H hardened glass where edge will not bend to stick to the glass. Comment above summarize it really well - they should have made it smaller...

With all that said, I just got Vitreo temperated glass screen from Seidio, and it just covers the display area of the glass, not the whole thing. I haven't installed it yet, just aligned and took a few pictures (will post it in a review, whenever I get around installing it). But it's kind of a weird trade-off. You want your screen to have a maximum protection, and MIME looks great covering beyond display portion of the glass and going all the way around Home button - but as a drawback it doesn't stick at the edge and you need aluminum home stick-on button. Seidio shrunk the cutout of VITREO to where it maybe goes 1mm or less beyond the edge of display part of the screen and doesn't go all the way around home button (thus hoping I don't need to install aluminum stick-on button) - in theory it shouldn't have a problem sticking to the edge since margin is shrunk, but the trade off is that edge of the glass screen outside of display area will not be protected. Btw, anybody used Vitreo on their phone before?

Hi Vectron, I'm trying to decide between MIME and Seidio for a glass protector for my Note 2 and hoping you can weigh in here. Do you happen to have a comparison between the two? The small size of the Seidio concerns me since it requires having more of the edge of the phone completely exposed.

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Hi Vectron, I'm trying to decide between MIME and Seidio for a glass protector for my Note 2 and hoping you can weigh in here. Do you happen to have a comparison between the two? The small size of the Seidio concerns me since it requires having more of the edge of the phone completely exposed.

That's a tough call because I never tried MIME and can only base my opinion from reading 18-pages of comments in this forum :D What I see in common, tempered glass is obviously rigid in comparison to PET film so the cut makes a BIG difference since GN2 glass is curved toward the edges. So if you have to make a call on how wide it should be and considering that glass is thicker and thus edges will be more noticeable - I think the cut right at the edge of visible LCD portion of the screen looks very clean (VITREO). Regarding not having a full screen protection, if you have a decent case with a lip - it won't matter much since the exposed part (with UAG case it's about 2.5-3mm) will not come in contact with surface and any impact directed at the glass has a lot higher probability of lending in the middle anyway (like if you drop it on a sharp or protruding object).

From what I gathered, people with MIME tempered glass have issues with bubbles around edges and some bubbles in the middle that take awhile to clear up, etc. But the product has a price advantage and offers a wider coverage, although at the expense of edges not always sticking (maybe it was in early version and fixed now?!?). Vitreo I believe is a higher quality product but it comes at a higher price as well, and also smaller cutout. I also heard from a few people that touch sensitivity of MIME is not the best, something I can't complain about with Vitreo. Actually the opposite, I feel it's a bit oversensitive which could be part of a slippery glass I still getting used to after having iSmooth protector for 3+ months. Maybe it's just a combination of slippery glass and oleophobic coating which might wear out after a while. But I have noticed on a few occasions with Vitreo where I have to touch'n'hold the link my fingers slides a little down so I have to respond faster in these situation.

Maybe someone who tried both can chime in? The problem is that with tempered glass being so expensive if it works for you, nobody going to lift it off and go on try something else :) With plastic screen protector it's easier especially when you get 2-3 in a pack. So unless you have problems or don't like it anymore, and decide to take it off and to try another one - it will be hard to find someone who played with both. And even if you have some issues with edges not sticking, some people just accept it and live with it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-SaNaXROG4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Www.mimeusa.com

This video helped me with the protector. Posted it and have had it about a week. It's kinda similar to another glad protector out there. I love it. The clarity is amazing and the finger flow on the glass is great. U do have to wipe the smudges off after a bit but no biggie. The function of the S pen is great. It was a concern for me but as soon as I got it on the S pen was the first thing I tried and no problems.
    I've gone through a couple other protectors because I use the S pen a lot and hated the marks left on the screens so paying the $30 didn't concern me. The only thing I have issue with us that at the edges it looks like it's not fully connected but it is. Don't really notice it unless I focus on it but all in all a great protector for someone like me that was looking for something that was sturdy and didn't leave marked when u use the pen.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
    Can someone post pictures of their actual MIME protector installed?

Here are a couple of pics of the Mime screen protector :)
    No I didn't buy the home button. It's a bit recessed but it's not bad and I don't have any problems with turning on the phone. So fast no loss in touch sensitivity, I love this protector. I wanted a protector like this for a long time and now that it is I'm happy. A lot of smudges but a quick wipe and clear as anything.
    I ordered another one for my wife and it seems the order is delayed. I haven't heard anything from the company but my last order took 4 days to get to me.

Hi

Is this what it looks like, this is the one I have and I'm like you very happy with it.

If you want me to remove this post just let me know, since it's not actually the mime protector.

This is what it looks like on my phone.

That's a tough call because I never tried MIME and can only base my opinion from reading 18-pages of comments in this forum :D What I see in common, tempered glass is obviously rigid in comparison to PET film so the cut makes a BIG difference since GN2 glass is curved toward the edges. So if you have to make a call on how wide it should be and considering that glass is thicker and thus edges will be more noticeable - I think the cut right at the edge of visible LCD portion of the screen looks very clean (VITREO). Regarding not having a full screen protection, if you have a decent case with a lip - it won't matter much since the exposed part (with UAG case it's about 2.5-3mm) will not come in contact with surface and any impact directed at the glass has a lot higher probability of lending in the middle anyway (like if you drop it on a sharp or protruding object).

From what I gathered, people with MIME tempered glass have issues with bubbles around edges and some bubbles in the middle that take awhile to clear up, etc. But the product has a price advantage and offers a wider coverage, although at the expense of edges not always sticking (maybe it was in early version and fixed now?!?). Vitreo I believe is a higher quality product but it comes at a higher price as well, and also smaller cutout. I also heard from a few people that touch sensitivity of MIME is not the best, something I can't complain about with Vitreo. Actually the opposite, I feel it's a bit oversensitive which could be part of a slippery glass I still getting used to after having iSmooth protector for 3+ months. Maybe it's just a combination of slippery glass and oleophobic coating which might wear out after a while. But I have noticed on a few occasions with Vitreo where I have to touch'n'hold the link my fingers slides a little down so I have to respond faster in these situation.

Maybe someone who tried both can chime in? The problem is that with tempered glass being so expensive if it works for you, nobody going to lift it off and go on try something else :) With plastic screen protector it's easier especially when you get 2-3 in a pack. So unless you have problems or don't like it anymore, and decide to take it off and to try another one - it will be hard to find someone who played with both. And even if you have some issues with edges not sticking, some people just accept it and live with it.
    Can someone post pictures of their actual MIME protector installed?

Here ya go.