[Q] Nexus 10 or Galaxy Note 10.1

Search This thread

rakgitarmen

Apr 14, 2011
Well, after reading countless reviews, forum posts, Amazon reviews and reddit threads I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Note 10.1. A totally unexpected situation considering after waiting for Note 10.1 to release and then being turned off by the negative reviews, I was waiting for the next big thing and Nexus 10 was just that.

After all those research, I came to the conclusion that it all comes to the simple question of what do you want to do with it? Do you want to consume, create or both? If the former then Nexus 10, no contest. Google, much like Amazon is trying to sell it's ecosystem and Nexus 10 is just made for that; to consume and consume easier. That's why it has to have all that PPI screen and phablet interface.

Note 10.1 though, it's aimed towards productivity just because of it's pen and apps that it has for it. I'm an engineering student so I have a need for a device like this. I happen to like consuming stuff(music, videos, web) too though and that's where I got confused; I didn't want to comprimise. I wanted the 300 PPI screen, the pen, latest hardware and for a good price. If you want to buy a tablet now though, you have to. And the best way to know if you can live with it or not is to try it. After I tried the (ab)used Note 10.1 at a Saturn I saw ,that most of the things the reviews complained about either didn't exist or didn't bother me. The interface was very fluid, the S-Pen was responsive with minimal lag and although the build quality and the "feel" of the tablet was lacking compared to Asus and Apple tablets, it wasn't that horrible. The screen could definitely use some more pixels, but had decent colours.

In the end what you get is a classic Samsung, powerful and attractive internals married with mediocre build quality. But at least It can be useful for me during the day rather than being a 400€ toy, unlike the Nexus 10.

Last edited:

cowabunga

Oct 7, 2006
Was just at Costco and playing with the Note 10.1 they had set up as demo. Damn is that a nice looking device. Why couldn't the N10 have been in the body of the Note 10.1? The pen, the expandable storage, the list goes on. To be honest, I jumped on the bandwagon for the high rez screen of the N10 but so far between the light bleed and the lack of good high rez apps, it's just not worth it.

Seriously, the Note 10.1 was one nice looking tablet. Have not seen the TF Infinity yet. Pretty sure that would beat the N10 on looks hands down.

bp328i

May 22, 2010
Tampa Bay
I'll throw in a quick comment as well. My current phone is a Note II, prior to that was the GSIII and prior to that was the Galaxy Nexus.

I looked at both and bought the Nexus 10 because of the screen, fast updates, processor, and well, it's a Nexus and I missed my Nexus. Had it all of 2 days and returned it for the 32gb Note 10.1.

Reason why I returned the Nexus 10:
The screen resolution is AMAZING! Now with that said, the light bleed KILLS it, and the one I had based on the images I found of others was damn near perfect. It really shows when your in a dark room...sad just sad.

I guess since my Galaxy Nexus I have gotten use to TouchWiz because pure Android is now...I guess the best way to say it is...well, boring and plain.

On my Note 10.1 if I want to run TouchWiz I run TouchWiz. If I want to run AOSP I can do that as well. On the Nexus 10 it's AOSP.

xbill9

Feb 2, 2011
I have several models of the 10.1 note and a nexus 10. All are running CM10.1 nightlies.
(except the Verizion LTE which still has stock due to the locked Verizon bootloader).

Both the 10.1 and Nexus 10 should be able to run Key Lime pie when it is released.

I end up using the 10.1 note more - mainly for these reasons:

-the SD Card Support (backups like Carbon, Titanium can go right to the sd)
-3G/LTE support (n8000 works on ATT, SGH-i925 works on LTE Verizon)
-accessories (the 10.1 book note case is worth the money)
-the wifi 10.1 can be found cheap used on Amazon (350 ish for 16GB)

This comparision may change at Google IO- if the Nexus 10 adds
ATT LTE band capable radios and/or SD card support.

I finally found a decent book case cover for the Nexus 10 on Amazon -
but the official Samsung book cases for the Note 10.1 are still nicer.

But - compared to most other 10 inch class android tablets - you can't go wrong with
either the Nexus 10 or the Note 10.1.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same boat

I'm in almost the same boat as the OP, except that I actually currently have a Note 10.1 that is still in its 30 day return period. I've also been trying to figure out what I should do, but I have the advantage that I've actually been using the Note 10.1 for a few days now.

I'm already on my second tablet, as I returned my first choice, the TF700, because of its terrible IO performance which made my experience with it very frustrating.

It's a difficult decision as the Note 10.1 is a great device. However, I think I've pretty much decided that I'm going to return it and get a Nexus 10 instead, for the following reasons:

• The biggest reason: I really do miss the TF700's screen! The Nexus' is going to be even better, and the Note's is blatantly nowhere near as good as either of them.
    • I doubt I'm going to use more than 32G of storage (for my use case: I understand that this is a problem for others)
    • Having more prompt updates is definitely a plus! This obviously includes getting 4.2 *now*, while the Note 10.1 is still waiting for 4.1.
    • The standard connector is appealing to me
    • I really don't use the stylus that much. It's cool, and is well implemented, but it doesn't justify the next point
    • I'll be saving money!

Again, this is very much a personal decision. If you're someone who would make a lot of use of the stylus, then the Note 10.1 is probably the better choice for you. But for me, I think the Nexus is going to make me more happy. The first point above is my primary reason really: I'm probably going to be using it to read things most of the time, so a better screen makes all the difference there.

My only fear really is that it's going to have similar performance problems to the TF700, but I think that's probably a very Asus-specific issue, and since this is Samsung-manufactured anyway, I doubt it's going to be an issue.

Good luck with your choice!
    People really do just find ways to ***** and complain about products. If you don't want the product then get off the forum.
    No point to keep *****ing about useless BS.

Sound advice. Let's never let others know to avoid a product that sucks.

via Tapatalk
    because I don't rent. period. and again what part of this "ONLY HAS WIFI" was unclear here.

how exactly you going to access that useless 16tb of storage ? any idea how god awful long it would TAKE YOU to upload what you want to 16tb of storage?

heck I could not even enjoy this for music alone since I carry more than 12gb of music with me.

and I am "*****in" because its a potentially amazing product DESTROYED by the lack of $3 in plastic and metal. I want to know WHY they would make such an insanely nice device and DESTROY it by not having any memory in the stinking thing.
    Even though nexus is Dualcore vs Quadcore in note? why should nexus be better?

Quad core doesn't mean its better as people have said. Even dual core computers are faster than quad core.

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

Also, Nexus is pure Google/android.
    I just played with the Note because I'm considering the N10... and I couldn't believe how cheap it felt. Like... I was practically floored. Sure, it's nice and light, but if you pinch it, the back flexes. On the other kiosk sat a tab 2, which felt 10x better built, but neither felt as sturdy as my $200 Nexus 7. If I'm going to spend 500 dollars on a gadget, it better not feel like a toy, and the reviews (thankfully) suggest the Nexus10 has a superior build to the note.

The plastic on the Galaxy s3 does't bother me because it still feels well built... no flex. But on the Note 10.1? I was scared of breaking it just picking it up. (It was pretty zippy though- surprisingly good performance)

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

because I don't rent. period. and again what part of this "ONLY HAS WIFI" was unclear here.

how exactly you going to access that useless 16tb of storage ? any idea how god awful long it would TAKE YOU to upload what you want to 16tb of storage?

heck I could not even enjoy this for music alone since I carry more than 12gb of music with me.

and I am "*****in" because its a potentially amazing product DESTROYED by the lack of $3 in plastic and metal. I want to know WHY they would make such an insanely nice device and DESTROY it by not having any memory in the stinking thing.

I agree, SD card would be nice. But to my knowledge, no Nexus device has come with one so far. I recall reading something from Google about how external storage leads to performance issues or something for certain users or complicates the experience.... Not sure I buy that, it could be a money grab to get you to buy the 500 dollar model. I used to be the guy who had to carry ALL his music around, wanted every device to have the biggest card available in it. However, it has gotten a lot, lot easier to move things back and forth from tablet to computer. Also, I think a lot of people have access to tethering from their phone (in fact, I've got unlimited access :p) I started to wonder.... Do I really need to have 18 days worth of music with me at all times? Or could I get by with 100 albums, and swap em when I need to? And even then, you can do it with an OTG if you're going on a long trip, etc.

I'm not disagreeing with you, it's a shame it doesnt have it. I said the same thing about the Nexus 7. But honestly, I haven't missed it like I thought I would. And If I really decide I need to have more space, I can always load a big microSD into my phone for music,

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

also, you mentioned worrying about breaking the micro USB by using OTG.... but you can transfer files to the tablet with it. You don't have to leave it hanging out there while you watch the movie, you just have to have it on for the 5-10 minutes it takes you to swap in whatever content you want. I've never been terribly worried about breaking my Nexus 7 this way.