gt-p1000 gps problems

Search This thread

Arlock

Jul 8, 2006
hi all,

I was just wondering if I was the only one with gps troubles.

I tried stock rom, overcome, ics miui, jb aokp, but rarely got satellites detected.

I once got some connexions while using tomtom but about 20 minutes (discontinued) on a 2 hours trip.

with some test apps I got 3 feeble satellites signals.

Does someone else had so much trouble ?

(I trying some gps fixes I found but just wanted to know if I was the only one)

thanks

schxx74

Apr 1, 2013
London
you are not the only one

hi all,

I was just wondering if I was the only one with gps troubles.

I tried stock rom, overcome, ics miui, jb aokp, but rarely got satellites detected.

I once got some connexions while using tomtom but about 20 minutes (discontinued) on a 2 hours trip.

with some test apps I got 3 feeble satellites signals.

Does someone else had so much trouble ?

(I trying some gps fixes I found but just wanted to know if I was the only one)

thanks

No you are not.
Did you GPS work at all?
Mine did and then stopped.. here is what I did before it stopped.

I rooted it with ODIN (ages ago)
for ICS I followed the widely available instructions to get ICS (How to install Stable ICS 4.0.4 on Galaxy TAB P1000 [CyanogenMod 9 Stable]) and everything worked well. Needed a different camera app but the GPS worked reliable and FAST.
When JB was available I used the ROM Based on Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Platform. This is the official CyanogenMod 10 Nightly but had issues with Gapps and did not have time back then (xmas time) so just restored my nandroid backup. And to be honest I have no idea if the GPS worked after that. I think I used the iPhone more for GPS stuff until March.
Fact was it did not get any satelite at all, only location is via WIFI.
My hypo was that I may have missed something or the nandroid backup / restore does not include all files.

To fix it I looked for a later ROM and used JB. I used the Android 4.2.1 CM10.1 for Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 P1000 [Filename: cm-10.1-20121229-EXPERIMENTAL-p1-cdesai.zip] and Google Apps [Filename: gapps-jb-20121130-signed.zip] and that rome is reported that GPS works (but remember it did not work before i used this rom)
All went well and the rom works with all other features but did not GPS and I still have 0 satelites with either GPS Test or GPS Fix.

That is when I found your post.
I had a good dig around XDS and well GPS issues are plentiful, but not quite like the one you or I experience.
It seems that you at least get "some" satelites which is an improvement over none.
re-stocking did not solve it for you so I may save myself the trouble.
that said, my only thought is the GPS module packed in and that is why I get not a single satelite...

did you get anywhere?

TIA

Arlock

Jul 8, 2006
No you are not.
Did you GPS work at all?
Mine did and then stopped.. here is what I did before it stopped.

I rooted it with ODIN (ages ago)
for ICS I followed the widely available instructions to get ICS (How to install Stable ICS 4.0.4 on Galaxy TAB P1000 [CyanogenMod 9 Stable]) and everything worked well. Needed a different camera app but the GPS worked reliable and FAST.
When JB was available I used the ROM Based on Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Platform. This is the official CyanogenMod 10 Nightly but had issues with Gapps and did not have time back then (xmas time) so just restored my nandroid backup. And to be honest I have no idea if the GPS worked after that. I think I used the iPhone more for GPS stuff until March.
Fact was it did not get any satelite at all, only location is via WIFI.
My hypo was that I may have missed something or the nandroid backup / restore does not include all files.

To fix it I looked for a later ROM and used JB. I used the Android 4.2.1 CM10.1 for Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 P1000 [Filename: cm-10.1-20121229-EXPERIMENTAL-p1-cdesai.zip] and Google Apps [Filename: gapps-jb-20121130-signed.zip] and that rome is reported that GPS works (but remember it did not work before i used this rom)
All went well and the rom works with all other features but did not GPS and I still have 0 satelites with either GPS Test or GPS Fix.

That is when I found your post.
I had a good dig around XDS and well GPS issues are plentiful, but not quite like the one you or I experience.
It seems that you at least get "some" satelites which is an improvement over none.
re-stocking did not solve it for you so I may save myself the trouble.
that said, my only thought is the GPS module packed in and that is why I get not a single satelite...

did you get anywhere?

TIA

hi there,

for my part, I bought this used tab some month ago. I didn't really liked it in gb, so almost immediatly tried to root it, changed recovery and rom, but never tested gps then.

I actually use miui ics rom and tried gps once. on a 2 hours long trip, sunny weather, nothing to disturb gps signal, I had 20mn of signal and not in a single straight connexion, but only just 1 or 2 mn from time to time.

I tried restock, but not bettre, even my chinese tab is more efficient. I'm still trying to understand and looking for answers but I nedd to restart my searches all over, too much things founds and now I'm quite lost.

The only thing I remember is that someone picked up gps files from his old samsung gsm and copied them on his GT as they had the same system.

I'll try to find that back, and maybe I'll try with my htc as they're all two on miui.

I'll send infos if I find something working

Last edited:

Lotter2909

Jan 9, 2011
The same problem

hi there,

for my part, I bought this used tab some month ago. I didn't really liked it in gb, so almost immediatly tried to root it, changed recovery and rom, but never tested gps then.

I actually use miui ics rom and tried gps once. on a 2 hours long trip, sunny weather, nothing to disturb gps signal, I had 20mn of signal and not in a single straight connexion, but only just 1 or 2 mn from time to time.

I tried restock, but not bettre, even my chinese tab is more efficient. I'm still trying to understand and looking for answers but I nedd to restart my searches all over, too much things founds and now I'm quite lost.

The only thing I remember is that someone picked up gps files from his old samsung gsm and copied them on his GT as they had the same system.

I'll try to find that back, and maybe I'll try with my htc as they're all two on miui.

I'll send infos if I find something working

Sorry for my english!
My GT-P1000 was to repair because it was unable to read the internal memory! After that I never tested the gps and rooted the tab with CM10.1 TWRP 20130802 Kernel 3.0.88 v1.35 (cm-10.1-20130802-UNOFFICIAL-p1)! I tried gps, but there is no gps signal and there are no satellites found!
Did ypu solved the problem?

Arlock

Jul 8, 2006
Sorry for my english!
My GT-P1000 was to repair because it was unable to read the internal memory! After that I never tested the gps and rooted the tab with CM10.1 TWRP 20130802 Kernel 3.0.88 v1.35 (cm-10.1-20130802-UNOFFICIAL-p1)! I tried gps, but there is no gps signal and there are no satellites found!
Did ypu solved the problem?

no, still not solved it, I suspect some hardware problem like gps chip dead, gps antenna unplugged or broken, but as I had troubles with electronics thèses days, I will wait to open my GT

pawelarc

Nov 20, 2012
install apps like Faster GPS, GPS Fix or similar from Play
define your NTP Server and load XTRA data (table of current satellite position)
this will help you!