Locked bootloader!?!

Search This thread

aimetti

Nov 23, 2011
My guess is due to the company position. Att needs the gs4 more than Samsung needing Att. They make billions anyways. Htc however is in search of some real profits and phone sales. Just bargaining positions.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

expertzero1

Sep 28, 2011
So Cal, California
Maybe they saw a rise of HTC phones being returned or being fixed under warranty and saw a lot of people messing up their devices. So they locked it down?

Maybe samsung phones were easy to fix? Idk but Verizon gs3 bootloader is locked and the note 2. So its carrier dependent.

Hell Verizon locks all boot loaders so nvm
Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

aimetti

Nov 23, 2011
they want you using their crap software , Block tethering, limit data on apps, blah blah blah. Its been like this for a while.

Sango2

Jun 13, 2012
Vancouver, BC / Seattle, WA
Aha! gotcha, Well. I tried to order the Dev edition but it got out of stock.. so i have no choice but to get one from ATT and hope for the best : D

Well, I was going to say, if you really want the Dev edition, go and order it and wait until it's back in stock. Patience is a virtue.

Sprint and tmobile versions are unlockable

Why do you think HTC is selling a developer edition that is using ATT bands.

Not just ATT Bands. Rogers, Fido and a few others Canadian providers as well which uses the same bands.

Last edited:

expertzero1

Sep 28, 2011
So Cal, California
You misread my post. Were talking about atts locked boot loader. They are selling a unlocked and developer edition for ATT customers mainly because of that. Since T-Mobile and sprint versions ARE unlockable, there is no dev versions for them.

Plus its sold only to a VALID US Address only. Gotta go through a lot of hoops to purchase it.
So...... Canada is ou

HTCFAN0923

Mar 19, 2007
NYC
I can also confirm from my sources that the AT&T ONe WILL ha e it's bootloader on lo brown which is why the Developer Edition is only available in the U.S.

As far as S-OFF, my One X isn't S-OFF yet I flash RIMs often without doing the kernal flash. I was unther the assumption that a unlocked bootloader and Root were all that was needed to flash ROMS.

Btw, I also got a Developer Edition.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

tehdef

Apr 30, 2012
ATX
I can also confirm from my sources that the AT&T ONe WILL ha e it's bootloader on lo brown which is why the Developer Edition is only available in the U.S.

As far as S-OFF, my One X isn't S-OFF yet I flash RIMs often without doing the kernal flash. I was unther the assumption that a unlocked bootloader and Root were all that was needed to flash ROMS.

Btw, I also got a Developer Edition.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Seems legit... Can't even string together a sentence without spelling errors, but seems legit.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
My guess is due to the company position. Att needs the gs4 more than Samsung needing Att. They make billions anyways. Htc however is in search of some real profits and phone sales. Just bargaining positions.

That's likely exactly the case. Samsung is doing amazingly well with their smartphones, and are by far the leading seller of Android phones, with the Galaxy S series in particular being wildly popular. So as you say, AT&T needs them more than vice versa.

Such is not the case with HTC, who has been really struggling financially for some time now. HTC needs to be able to sell their flagship on AT&T, or their chances of surviving (at least in the US market) are going to dwindle.

For all we know, AT&T even compensates HTC monetarily to keep the bootloader locked. Something HTC isn't in a financial position to refuse (and again, not the case for Samsung).

Its really a shame, as I think many of us can agree that HTC by far makes the better hardware, compared to Sammy's cheap looking/feeling plasticky devices. Really unfortunate that such a beautiful device may be marred with an unlockable bootloader.

Sango2

Jun 13, 2012
Vancouver, BC / Seattle, WA
You misread my post. Were talking about atts locked boot loader. They are selling a unlocked and developer edition for ATT customers mainly because of that. Since T-Mobile and sprint versions ARE unlockable, there is no dev versions for them.

Plus its sold only to a VALID US Address only. Gotta go through a lot of hoops to purchase it.
So...... Canada is ou

I was basing it on that post, but wans't realizing you're talking about the bootloader as I mistaken it by frequency bands.

I assume you meant to say Canada is out. Not for me, I was able to pre-order my developer edition from HTC.

Last edited:

lemonz23

Oct 6, 2009
Hold up so the HTC One from AT&T can't be rooted? I'm kind of confused about all these chats going on in this thread.

r34p3rex

Sep 20, 2008
Damn totally forgot about locked HTC bootloaders.. been using too many Sammys :eek:

Does the dev edition have LTE working on AT&T? If it does, I won't even bother with the AT&T version

YoungAceAtlanta

Feb 8, 2009
New York, NY
instagram.com
Hold up so the HTC One from AT&T can't be rooted? I'm kind of confused about all these chats going on in this thread.

It will be rooted. How many flagship devices can you name that wasn't rooted ?

I've been on this forum since the G1 days and I've bought almost every flagship HTC device with a lock bootloader n devs here always manage to unlock them

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007

If the Twitter comment in the OP is true, than an "official" bootloader unlock is not allowed through HTC's website. On the vast majority of the more recent HTC's devices, root is available out of the box, and simply a matter of unlocking the bootloader and flashing SU/SuperSU. AT&T is the only carrier to block this method, and on only one phone to date (One X).

If this turns out to be the case for the One, than as mentioned in the previous response, it will be up to the devs here to find an exploit to gain root, or otherwise unlock the bootloader.

expertzero1

Sep 28, 2011
So Cal, California
That Motorola guy whatever who exploits them said if you want a unlocked boot loader/root, purchase a unlocked device. Don't expect someone to find a exploit for you because its getting difficult and consumed a lot of time.

He is on point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

EboniK

Jan 13, 2013
las vegas
I can't even imagine how much I would make in donations if I were the one to unlock it... That's reason enough tbh

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    +1
    I won't believe it until I see that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Here... it's unlockable.

- Dan
    oh sweet mother of the root gods ....

Root indeed... I have it :)

Don't mind the crappy pictures... used my iPhone 5 to take them.
    I have the device and was able to generate a unlock.bin file on the htc dev website to unlock the bootloader.

- Dan

It will be rooted. How many flagship devices can you name that wasn't rooted ?

I've been on this forum since the G1 days and I've bought almost every flagship HTC device with a lock bootloader n devs here always manage to unlock them

That's likely exactly the case. Samsung is doing amazingly well with their smartphones, and are by far the leading seller of Android phones, with the Galaxy S series in particular being wildly popular. So as you say, AT&T needs them more than vice versa.

Such is not the case with HTC, who has been really struggling financially for some time now. HTC needs to be able to sell their flagship on AT&T, or their chances of surviving (at least in the US market) are going to dwindle.

For all we know, AT&T even compensates HTC monetarily to keep the bootloader locked. Something HTC isn't in a financial position to refuse (and again, not the case for Samsung).

Its really a shame, as I think many of us can agree that HTC by far makes the better hardware, compared to Sammy's cheap looking/feeling plasticky devices. Really unfortunate that such a beautiful device may be marred with an unlockable bootloader.