FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Locked bootloader!?!

47 posts
Thanks Meter: 10
 
By saditch, Member on 9th April 2013, 04:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th April 2013, 03:11 PM |#31  
Senior Member
Flag ATX
Thanks Meter: 149
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCFAN0923

I can also confirm from my sources that the AT&T ONe WILL ha e it's bootloader on lo brown which is why the Developer Edition is only available in the U.S.

As far as S-OFF, my One X isn't S-OFF yet I flash RIMs often without doing the kernal flash. I was unther the assumption that a unlocked bootloader and Root were all that was needed to flash ROMS.

Btw, I also got a Developer Edition.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Seems legit... Can't even string together a sentence without spelling errors, but seems legit.
10th April 2013, 03:45 PM |#32  
redpoint73's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,926
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimetti

My guess is due to the company position. Att needs the gs4 more than Samsung needing Att. They make billions anyways. Htc however is in search of some real profits and phone sales. Just bargaining positions.

That's likely exactly the case. Samsung is doing amazingly well with their smartphones, and are by far the leading seller of Android phones, with the Galaxy S series in particular being wildly popular. So as you say, AT&T needs them more than vice versa.

Such is not the case with HTC, who has been really struggling financially for some time now. HTC needs to be able to sell their flagship on AT&T, or their chances of surviving (at least in the US market) are going to dwindle.

For all we know, AT&T even compensates HTC monetarily to keep the bootloader locked. Something HTC isn't in a financial position to refuse (and again, not the case for Samsung).

Its really a shame, as I think many of us can agree that HTC by far makes the better hardware, compared to Sammy's cheap looking/feeling plasticky devices. Really unfortunate that such a beautiful device may be marred with an unlockable bootloader.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
10th April 2013, 04:43 PM |#33  
Senior Member
Flag Vancouver, BC / Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 79
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by expertzero1

You misread my post. Were talking about atts locked boot loader. They are selling a unlocked and developer edition for ATT customers mainly because of that. Since T-Mobile and sprint versions ARE unlockable, there is no dev versions for them.

Plus its sold only to a VALID US Address only. Gotta go through a lot of hoops to purchase it.
So...... Canada is ou

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

I was basing it on that post, but wans't realizing you're talking about the bootloader as I mistaken it by frequency bands.

I assume you meant to say Canada is out. Not for me, I was able to pre-order my developer edition from HTC.
10th April 2013, 05:14 PM |#34  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Hold up so the HTC One from AT&T can't be rooted? I'm kind of confused about all these chats going on in this thread.
10th April 2013, 05:24 PM |#35  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 219
 
Donate to Me
More
Damn totally forgot about locked HTC bootloaders.. been using too many Sammys


Does the dev edition have LTE working on AT&T? If it does, I won't even bother with the AT&T version
10th April 2013, 05:24 PM |#36  
Senior Member
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 158
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonz23

Hold up so the HTC One from AT&T can't be rooted? I'm kind of confused about all these chats going on in this thread.

It will be rooted. How many flagship devices can you name that wasn't rooted ?

I've been on this forum since the G1 days and I've bought almost every flagship HTC device with a lock bootloader n devs here always manage to unlock them
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to YoungAceAtlanta For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift YoungAceAtlanta Ad-Free
10th April 2013, 06:04 PM |#37  
redpoint73's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,926
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonz23

Hold up so the HTC One from AT&T can't be rooted? I'm kind of confused about all these chats going on in this thread.

If the Twitter comment in the OP is true, than an "official" bootloader unlock is not allowed through HTC's website. On the vast majority of the more recent HTC's devices, root is available out of the box, and simply a matter of unlocking the bootloader and flashing SU/SuperSU. AT&T is the only carrier to block this method, and on only one phone to date (One X).

If this turns out to be the case for the One, than as mentioned in the previous response, it will be up to the devs here to find an exploit to gain root, or otherwise unlock the bootloader.
10th April 2013, 07:47 PM |#38  
Senior Member
Flag So Cal, California
Thanks Meter: 380
 
More
That Motorola guy whatever who exploits them said if you want a unlocked boot loader/root, purchase a unlocked device. Don't expect someone to find a exploit for you because its getting difficult and consumed a lot of time.


He is on point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
10th April 2013, 08:08 PM |#39  
Member
Flag las vegas
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I can't even imagine how much I would make in donations if I were the one to unlock it... That's reason enough tbh

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
10th April 2013, 09:46 PM |#40  
tylerdurdin's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 430
 
More
The One X bootloader was broken twice, on two different software versions....we will be fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to tylerdurdin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tylerdurdin Ad-Free
11th April 2013, 01:02 PM |#41  
Senior Member
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdef

Seems legit... Can't even string together a sentence without spelling errors, but seems legit.

Big hands and using my One X in portrait does make for some nasty spelling.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes