FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Flash Lite 3.1 & Internet Explorer?

1,421 posts
Thanks Meter: 104

By ADB100, Senior Member on 25th June 2009, 04:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Yes I have searched, however the results seem to be conflicting.

I have integrated into my ROM IE 6.0 as well as a Flash Lite 3.1 OEM package I found that I thought had the required ActiveX files and settings that would allow Flash support in Internet Explorer. After trying to view various sites with Flash in them it appears it doesn't work (you just get the banner 'This site requires Flash, click here to download' or something similar).
Now I have spent the last hour or so searching on here and via Google and can't seem to work out if this is actually possible. Some posts I have found seem to say it is possible with Opera but not IE, others say it isn't possible with either and others seem to say with the required ActiveX plugins it should work with IE 6.0?

Does anyone have any definitave answers?

Andy
25th June 2009, 07:08 PM |#2  
Flag SEA
Thanks Meter: 1

More
In Sakajati's HyperDragon IV ROM, the Flash Lite 3.1 ActiveX Player plugin works perfectly with both PIE8.12 & old PIE for WM6. It is a rumor that FL3.1 does not work with pie. The FL3.1 he used is 9.1.115.134. Edit: Try google 'official fliash lite 3.1 cab', you can find this build, a 2MB cab.

Edit: There are two layer's function of FL, HDIV ROM works on both of them, (for both pie & opera, in both FL3.1 cooked-in & seperately installed cases):
Layer 1: .swf files, e.g. www.cnet.com
Layer 2: Stream video like .flv on www.youtube.com

In many cases ppl say it does not work means it only does not work with layer 2. Many reason can cause this. Mostly is RAM issue, coz FL3.1 is a RAM intensive app, check HKLM > Software > Adobe > Flash Lite ActiveX > Memory Settings > Dynamic Memory (in MB), on default it was set to 32 MB. I doubt that if RAM not enought FL does not even launch layer 2.
Beside this there's some hardware driver (like D3D & OpenGL) and also software crash issue may also involved in the performance or functionality of FL3.1.
I'll attatch some screenshots later on.
If everything setting well (like in HDIV ROMs), the YouTube playback quality should be as same as the standalone player, at least I can not tell the difference from my eyes.

Edit: On HDIV Rhodium ROM for example, I don't need to do anything to ensure the playback quality for PIE. But I need to release memory for Opera to playing same quality (like disable m2d, large start menu, shutdown animation, etc.) I think it is because Opera Mobile 9.7b1 itself consumes about 9MB RAM, while PIE8.12 only around 1 MB, the ram needed for FL to play the same .flv is same on PIE & Opera.
25th June 2009, 08:41 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wg5566

In many cases ppl say it does not work means it only does not work with layer 2

I have the IE 6 OEM integrated into my ROM as well as the Juggalo Official Flash 3.1 OEM and I don't think any Flash sites are working in my ROM. I didn't think that IE 8 Mobile was 'real'?

Can you post some URLs with Flash content that you know work with the ROM you are running?

Andy
25th June 2009, 09:05 PM |#4  
Flag SEA

More
www.youtube.com
www.cnet.com (the main picture on middle of upper part of the home page.)
flash.tom.com
on this page, there are two embedded youtube videos:
http://my.opera.com/operamobile/blog/

I read that, FL3.1 only works with flash8 & minus, if the flash content is flash9, it does not work anyway.

And even for Flash 8,7, or lower, it still can not play back everything. But it plays most .swf and most popular .flv.

Some screenshots here.Most 9f them for Opera, but you can find several for PIE.
http://files.myopera.com/Wg5566/albu....jpg_thumb.jpgThis one is fullscreen in PIE.
25th June 2009, 09:40 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

www.youtube.com
www.cnet.com (the main picture on middle of upper part of the home page.)
flash.tom.com
on this page, there are two embedded youtube videos:
http://my.opera.com/operamobile/blog/

I read that, FL3.1 only works with flash8 & minus, if the flash content is flash9, it does not work anyway.

And even for Flash 8,7, or lower, it still can not play back everything. But it plays most .swf and most popular .flv.

Some screenshots here.Most 9f them for Opera, but you can find several for PIE.
http://files.myopera.com/Wg5566/albu....jpg_thumb.jpgThis one is fullscreen in PIE.

No, not happening with any of them
If I go here:
http://gallery.mobile9.com/f/788572
I eventually get a box where the Flash animation should be (compared to what I can see via the browser on my PC) and if I press and hold where the outline of the box is I see a popup menu that says 'About Flashlite 3.1 ActiveX Player' but I never get the animation to display. If I click 'About...' it says 'Player Version: 9,1,115,134'

Andy
25th June 2009, 10:16 PM |#6  
Flag SEA

More
What D3D/OpenGL driver are you using?
And did you cooked-in some graphic enhancement apps like gfxbooster?
25th June 2009, 11:07 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

What D3D/OpenGL driver are you using?
And did you cooked-in some graphic enhancement apps like gfxbooster?

I am using the Samsung Omnia D3D Driver as this worked much better with the various D3D sample applications than the HTC Class Action one. I also have gfxboost in the ROM, however disabling gfxboost gets the same results.

Andy
26th June 2009, 03:49 AM |#8  
Flag SEA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADB100

I am using the Samsung Omnia D3D Driver as this worked much better with the various D3D sample applications than the HTC Class Action one. I also have gfxboost in the ROM, however disabling gfxboost gets the same results.

Andy

The ROM I used also use Samsung Ominia driver, see also Samsung Ominia Goodies.

I did notice that on WM6.5 ROM, the gpxbooster crashes with flash.(Not tested on other ROMs yet)

Think you have someway to test the D3D driver work or not.

Then install the official FL3.1 distributable player to see does it works to play with local .swf files. (Need to use total commander to associate .swf with the exe)
Install of the distributable player also helps the plugin to work in some cases, & the distributable player itself works (at least as a plugin for .swf).

If it works then the problem is association between plugin and PIE.
If it does not work, you still need to sort it out what is crashed with FL.

In my experience PIE is much easier to work with FL3.1 than Opera.

Edit: BTW suggest to take out everything related to D3D, graphics enhancement, & flash plugin from your ROM. And then easier to test them, bcz all of them works if you install cab & you don't need to reflash the ROM again & again.
In otherways you build a 'naked' ROM, after flashed the ROM first install FL see deoes it work with PIE. If works then install your apps one by one & see which one crashes.

Another thing is that the official Flash7 Player (flash.dll) should also work with PIE.
27th June 2009, 05:03 AM |#9  
Flag SEA

More
Any further progress & can you share further information here?

Edit: Avother point is in PIE maybe you need to set in options to let the website know that you are using PIE & not a desktop IE, otherwise the site will ask to install the flash player for desktop. You can still use the 'desktop view' to 'view full versions' after did so.
27th June 2009, 10:44 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Any further progress & can you share further information here?

Edit: Avother point is in PIE maybe you need to set in options to let the website know that you are using PIE & not a desktop IE, otherwise the site will ask to install the flash player for desktop. You can still use the 'desktop view' to 'view full versions' after did so.

I have installed the official standalone player (FlashLite_DP_WM6Professional_EN.cab) and the results are still the same.

Andy
27th June 2009, 12:56 PM |#11  
Flag SEA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADB100

I have installed the official standalone player (FlashLite_DP_WM6Professional_EN.cab) and the results are still the same.

Do you have local .swf files to test on the StandAlone player? If not find some here:
http://www.leconcombre.com/board/dl/...adflas0us.html

Just click on the .swf file after download to the phone. If it's not associated withe player, can use Total Commander ( http://ghisler.fileburst.com/ce/tcmdpocketarm.cab ) or TaskMgr.exe ( http://www.dotfred.net/TM/TaskMgrv3.1_WM2005.zip ) to associate them with the exe found in the distributable player install folder.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)