Locked bootloader!?!

Search This thread

futuregerald

Jun 15, 2007
Bronx
I was hoping to pick up this phone in May but i'm one of those that would rather wait till the boot loader is unlocked first. I need to be able to tether and I want to UV for battery as well. hope they do it fast. I'm also open to buying the developer edition, the main reason i'd get the AT&T version over the developer is to get insurance on it..

droidiac13

Jul 19, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
I was hoping to pick up this phone in May but i'm one of those that would rather wait till the boot loader is unlocked first. I need to be able to tether and I want to UV for battery as well. hope they do it fast. I'm also open to buying the developer edition, the main reason i'd get the AT&T version over the developer is to get insurance on it..

Why not get Square Trade insurance. $125 up front and then a $99 deductible if you need to make a claim. Covers you for everything but losing it or having it stolen. You have to send it in if something happens, but if they can't fix it, they send you enough to buy a new one. It could be a problem if you didn't have a backup phone though.

EDIT: They also have a monthly option of $6.99/month.

Last edited:
Reactions: futuregerald

futuregerald

Jun 15, 2007
Bronx
Why not get Square Trade insurance. $125 up front and then a $99 deductible if you need to make a claim. Covers you for everything but losing it or having it stolen. You have to send it in if something happens, but if they can't fix it, they send you enough to buy a new one. It could be a problem if you didn't have a backup phone though.

Thanks I'll look in to that. I just hope they have developer phones in stock next month. sucks that I have to move this month or i'd buy it now...i probably still would but my wife would kill me :rolleyes:

nugzo

Apr 20, 2010
Fayetteville, NC.
www.capefearcomputer.com

Thanks I'll look in to that. I just hope they have developer phones in stock next month. sucks that I have to move this month or i'd buy it now...i probably still would but my wife would kill me :rolleyes:

check square trade on facebook. someone said they got a $25 discount from fb.

Reactions: droidiac13

DanMc85

Jan 6, 2008
USA
That's Fn awesome

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Yep, they also already released a OTA update for it, I'm not sure what was changed yet but hopefully the don't lock up the bootloader website once the phone officially launches. This one is my company phone, I have my own personal one coming on launch day and I will be heated if I cannot unlock the bootloader on it. lol

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2232549

Hunt3r.j2

Jun 6, 2011
Really though, the amount of modders who need SOFF to do what they want is like less than 5% of the mod community. Root typically handles most issues. Unlocked bootloader is just that barrier above root.

Though, I'm kind of mad that HTC isn't sticking it to ATT on this and telling them to bugger off. Tmobiles is unlocked...

Are you just deliberately trying to pretend that this is possible? When HTC's negotiators go into the room with ATT, they have no choice. They need to get the device on the carrier, and they can't afford to sacrifice things like the name and the design, so they had to add a logo and lock the bootloader.

If HTC didn't take that deal, there would be no One on AT&T.

DanMc85

Jan 6, 2008
USA

Attachments

• unlock.jpg
    unlock.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 286

DanMc85

Jan 6, 2008
USA
Can you take a picture of HBOOT with your phone? I wanna see whether it says "UNLOCKED" or not.

Also, if you are really unlocked, can you flash International HTC One ROMS?

I'm not trying to flash any international roms to this device unless there is a RUU for AT&T available in case I need to go back because this phone isn't mine. When I get my 64GB preorder I will flash android revolution by mike the day I get it.

Reactions: droidiac13

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    +1
    I won't believe it until I see that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Here... it's unlockable.

- Dan
    oh sweet mother of the root gods ....

Root indeed... I have it :)

Don't mind the crappy pictures... used my iPhone 5 to take them.
    I have the device and was able to generate a unlock.bin file on the htc dev website to unlock the bootloader.

- Dan
    Hold up so the HTC One from AT&T can't be rooted? I'm kind of confused about all these chats going on in this thread.

It will be rooted. How many flagship devices can you name that wasn't rooted ?

I've been on this forum since the G1 days and I've bought almost every flagship HTC device with a lock bootloader n devs here always manage to unlock them
    My guess is due to the company position. Att needs the gs4 more than Samsung needing Att. They make billions anyways. Htc however is in search of some real profits and phone sales. Just bargaining positions.

That's likely exactly the case. Samsung is doing amazingly well with their smartphones, and are by far the leading seller of Android phones, with the Galaxy S series in particular being wildly popular. So as you say, AT&T needs them more than vice versa.

Such is not the case with HTC, who has been really struggling financially for some time now. HTC needs to be able to sell their flagship on AT&T, or their chances of surviving (at least in the US market) are going to dwindle.

For all we know, AT&T even compensates HTC monetarily to keep the bootloader locked. Something HTC isn't in a financial position to refuse (and again, not the case for Samsung).

Its really a shame, as I think many of us can agree that HTC by far makes the better hardware, compared to Sammy's cheap looking/feeling plasticky devices. Really unfortunate that such a beautiful device may be marred with an unlockable bootloader.