My device is unlocked, rooted, with S-On.
I purchased and successfully used 4ext, tried two CM ROMs in the last week.
Before trying these Roms, I Nandroid backed up the ROM installed on the phone when I first got it, which was running ICS 4.0.3 / Sense 3.6. (Didn't like Sense UI - was dissatisfied with one UI over another); I like the mimimalism of the CM ROM, as I've gotten used to CM7 on my Nexus one.
Anyways, settled on a CM10 ROM. This too is backed up in addition to the first Sense Rom. Man.... wish the audio skip wasn't there when playing music and was really not thrilled with low speaker volume after putting up with that on my Nexus One for years.
So I decided to try CM9.
Downloaded a CM9 zip from Goo and the correct Gapps.
Before asking for help, I have Googled several variants of my problem until I see purple links highlighted: translation, I have not been lazy to not try and look and find a solution - the links on the page aren't blue anymore, but purple because I looked and read those. I have seen plenty of threads describing my problem; maybe I've overlooked something , but this is the first time in years I have decided to ask for help. Moreover, I spent a good week bookmarking over 40 threads - organized into specific headings - in order that I could fast search for typical problems like I have now. Hate being defensive, but I see the last couple years the landscape is rife with folks rightfully being told to search before asking questions.
'nuff talk, here's the problem.
I placed the CM9 and Gapps thread onto my internal sd card as usual, then booted into recovery, into 4ext no problem. Prepared to wipe "data/factory rest/wipe and wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache".
This is what I did different from previous flash. After wiping data/factory reset... I choose "format all partitions (except sdcard" I had read enough tutorials to see that was an additional option to the wipe cache/wipe dalvik cache. Also, I was prompted to - (and this was maybe the stupid thing I did differently) - prompted with an option to uninstall smartflash. I choose the tick box... big no-no? (But I have seen in several repeated attempts to recover and restore either Rom back up, the option to "enable or disable" smartflash.
So maybe it never was actually uninstalled from 4ext? since I can see it as an option when I return to recovery. Of course I have done this after my first attempt to reboot - after installing CM9... which is described next
So after wiping data/factory reset and "format all partitions (except sdcard" ...then I installed the CM9 zip and the gapps zip, then selected reboot.
Upon selecting 'reboot' - got the infamous HTC splash screen. Then I calmly read many threads, thinking I'd solve the problem.
So far, here's what I tried as an attempt to fix/restore or learn something useful that will help me with any future steps i need to take.
1) I tried to reflash the CM9 zip. (Still did the wipe/rest but then wiped cache/dalvik cache" (no change, got splash screen)
2) Tried to restore either back up a couple times. (Each time did the wipe/reset but then wiped cache/dalvik cache" (no change, got splash screen)
3) Tried to reflash the 4 ext zip. (Hmm... won't install it aborts installation)
4) I can toggle usb storage
5) Looked at all the options within the 4ext UI just to be a 'rat in the maze' and get familiar with all the options so when i ask fort help i can perhaps navigate their faster with some confidence.
6) Went to sleep at 4am... not complaining at all.. we all have done this playing with these devices. This is just an inconvenience, I get it. I'll be putting my sim card into my Nexus one to be phone functional today while I stay on the road to figuring this out. (I know I need a 4g sim card if I want to use wifi callling on my Amaze.... but I don't care about that right now)
7) Fully charged Ruby just in case battery power could be an issue. Tried to reflash again this morning. No dice.
I know there's an answer. I know I have probably read the answer.. or the steps I need to take are in a thread somewhere... but I am a rat in a maze and don't know where to turn.
Instead of wiping