[GUIDE]How to port AOKP JB and Themed ROMs

Search This thread

-NickHalden-

Apr 19, 2012
Gotham
techgeekal.com
Many a people have asked me regarding how to port the famous AOKP Rom Based on Jellybean to their devices and also the method of porting themed ROMs, the easy way, without any hassles at all! Here we go!

How To Port AOKP JB

Prerequisites

1. You must use same versions of android.For example, both your port (AOKP) and base(usually Cyanogenmod) must be of same versions.In this case 4.1.1 or 4.2.1.
  2. Try to port from same manufacturer, though different manufacturers does not affect too much.

Procedure

1.Copy App, Media and Framework Folders from your to be ported AOKP Rom.
2.Delete App, Media and Framework Folders from your base Cm10 ROM.
3.Paste App, Media and Framework Folders in you base CM10 Rom.
4.It should work fine.Did i just say fine?Nahh... It should and it will work great :)
5.If it doesn't boot up, try replacing libandroid_runtime.so.That is copy it from system/lib of your AOKP rom to Cm10 ROM.
6.That's it.You have just successfully made an AOKP JB Rom of your own!!

Remember that suppose your base (CM10) rom has some issues like camera, gps, etc., your AOKP JB would have it as well as you have based it on CM10...

Now for Porting Themed ROMs

Remember That this is not necessarily for same android versions.You can use it to port themed roms of ICS to JB, or even from gingerbread to JB without any problems :)

Procedure

1.Copy app, media, framework and fonts folder from the themed rom(example Xperia JB).
3.Paste App, Media, FOnt and Framework Folders of you xperia jb rom(themed rom)in you base CM10 Rom.
4.Now, here lies the difference.See this carefully.

Go to build.prop in system of you themed Xperia JB ROM that has to be ported
Open it with Notepad++.
Copy the following lines (remember that this is for Xperia Jb in particular.It will differ for others such as sense themed,touchwizz themed,etc.What this does, is that it sets the theme as default...
persist.sys.themeId=xperias
persist.sys.themePackageName=com.jasonevil.theme.xperias

It would look something like the image below

xperia_zps02faff7f.png

5.Paste these in the build.prop of your base cm10 rom below the lines "like ro.config.ringtone, ro.config.alarm_alert.These are sometimes not present.So you generally add it below the ADDITIONAL BUILD PROPERTIES section

Something like the image guys ;)

pat_zps3f2be031.png

6.That's it, you just got an amazing themed ROM!!!

So, go ahead and make your own Sense, touchwizz, Xperia and other themed ROMS,,,
cheers :)

Last edited:

rishabh.raj37

Jul 29, 2012
Ranchi
techxtras.com

Open it with Notepad++.
Copy the following lines (remember that this is for Xperia Jb in particular.It will differ for others such as sense themed,touchwizz themed,etc.What this does, is that it sets the theme as default...

xperia_zps02faff7f.png

5.Copy these in the build.prop of you base cm10 rom below the lines "ro.config.ringtone, ro.config.alarm_alert.

Just like the image guys ;)

pat_zps3f2be031.png

One error
These lines(line associated with theme) can be copied anywhere in the build.prop but you should copy it after device configuration or in ADDITIONAL BUILD PROPERTIES SO THAT IT WOULD BE EASY FOR EVERYONE TO FIND THE LINE..

I am telling this to you because some Rom's build.prop file do not have these lines ro.config.ringtone, ro.config.alarm_alert.
:thumbup:

Last edited:

-NickHalden-

Apr 19, 2012
Gotham
techgeekal.com

One error
These lines(line associated with theme) can be copied anywhere in the build.prop but you should copy it after device configuration or in ADDITIONAL BUILD PROPERTIES SO THAT IT WOULD BE EASY FOR EVERYONE TO FIND THE LINE..

I am telling this to you because some Rom's build.prop file do not have these lines ro.config.ringtone, ro.config.alarm_alert.

thanks for suggesting..cheers:)

someone755

Sep 27, 2011
Ljubljana
Thanks for the guide!
I really only need the simple 6-step procedure at the beginning...
Yet I don't fully understand what I'm supposed to do.

Say I have an unzipped CM10 ROM, for a device codenamed 'nozomi', for instance, ready.
Then what? Do I download an AOKP ROM for a 'nozomi' and just copy/paste the folders listed above?
But does that change anything (excluding the files I haven't deleted), since AOKP uses the same CM ROM as I am (though the CM ROM is a bit updated, some stability improvements...). (Also, do the CM improvements disappear after deleting the folders?)

OR, do I download an AOKP ROM for a device with SPECS similar to the 'nozomi'?
That way, I actually change something, but the stability more or less depends on the stability of the AOKP ROM, no?

Sorry for being noob-ish, but to a non-native English speaker, that's a bit confusing :S

Last edited:

-NickHalden-

Apr 19, 2012
Gotham
techgeekal.com
Thanks for the guide!

Say I have an unzipped CM10 ROM, for a device codenamed 'nozomi', for instance, ready.
Then what? Do I download an AOKP ROM for a 'nozomi' and just copy/paste the folders listed above?
But does that change anything (excluding the files I haven't deleted), since AOKP uses the same CM ROM as I am (though the CM ROM is a bit updated, some stability improvements...). (Also, do the CM improvements disappear after deleting the folders?)

That way, I actually change something, but the stability more or less depends on the stability of the AOKP ROM, no?

Sorry for being noob-ish, but to a non-native English speaker, that's a bit confusing :S

you download an AOKP ROM for a device with SPECS similar to the 'nozomi'
No, the stability depends on your base rom, for instance your cm10 rom

Reactions: someone755

someone755

Sep 27, 2011
Ljubljana
Wow, thanks :D
So that's all there is to it? Copying?
Just one more question, with an example:
Say network doesn't work good on 'nozomi's' AOKP, but works perfectly on CM10.
If I do a port, does that make the new ported AOKP's network alright?

Also, the 'specs'; does that mean just the same motherboard or the exact same screen, motherboard, CPU clock etc.?
Because the Evo3d and the nozomi have the same motherboard...

Thanks again :D

-NickHalden-

Apr 19, 2012
Gotham
techgeekal.com

Also, the 'specs'; does that mean just the same motherboard or the exact same screen, motherboard, CPU clock etc.?

Yes if your base cm10 has perfect network your aokp will have perfect network as well.
Specs basically is resolution, and arm architecture.
No it isn't just copying mate. Try making from source ;)

Sent from my ST21i2 using xda premium

someone755

Sep 27, 2011
Ljubljana
Making from source... I've tried and I'm still trying, but my PC is too c**p to even do 'repo sync' correctly -.-'
Though building AOKP from CM sources can't be that hard, I've found a ton of tutorials...
Winzip porting however, is really simple as you present it in OP...
So, I need a phone with an ARMv7 Rev4 (v7l) CPU and 720p display... Anyone know where I can find that?
Or do I leave all the little bits of info out of there and only search for an ARMv7 CPU and 720p screen?
(So you're saying I can port AOKP from the HOX to a Sony phone? :eek:)

Sorry again -.-
And thanks :D

EDIT: Wait, nevermind... Wikipedia's 'Snapdragon' article helped me; the HTC Rezound's specs are almost identical to those of teh Xperia S :D
Thanks anyways :D

Last edited:

-NickHalden-

Apr 19, 2012
Gotham
techgeekal.com
Making from source... I've tried and I'm still trying, but my PC is too c**p to even do 'repo sync' correctly -.-'
Though building AOKP from CM sources can't be that hard, I've found a ton of tutorials...
Winzip porting however, is really simple as you present it in OP...
So, I need a phone with an ARMv7 Rev4 (v7l) CPU and 720p display... Anyone know where I can find that?
Or do I leave all the little bits of info out of there and only search for an ARMv7 CPU and 720p screen?
(So you're saying I can port AOKP from the HOX to a Sony phone? :eek:)

Sorry again -.-
And thanks :D

EDIT: Wait, nevermind... Wikipedia's 'Snapdragon' article helped me; the HTC Rezound's specs are almost identical to those of teh Xperia S :D

Give a shot at it. Hope that you port it successfully :)

someone755

Sep 27, 2011
Ljubljana
Thanks, I got the permissions to port this.
Great, so I started porting and I finished... adb push; flash; reboot; aaaand, I'm stuck at bootanimation...
Though I don't see any difference between the libandroid_runtime.so between the two ROMs, I'll try replacing them anyways...
I'll edit this post on next flash and let you know how it's going! :D

Thanks for all your help :D

EDIT: No luck even after changing the lib... Any ideas?
I'm just stuck at the bootanimation, no other signs of life on my phone...

Last edited:

-NickHalden-

Apr 19, 2012
Gotham
techgeekal.com
Thanks, I got the permissions to port this.
Great, so I started porting and I finished... adb push; flash; reboot; aaaand, I'm stuck at bootanimation...
Though I don't see any difference between the libandroid_runtime.so between the two ROMs, I'll try replacing them anyways...
I'll edit this post on next flash and let you know how it's going! :D

Thanks for all your help :D

EDIT: No luck even after changing the lib... Any ideas?
I'm just stuck at the bootanimation, no other signs of life on my phone...

give me the logcat

someone755

Sep 27, 2011
Ljubljana
Hmmm...
That needs adb, no? Well, I can't do adb unless the phone is inside Android. The recoveries are somewhat buggy and don't connect the phone to a PC, besides the official TWRP one, but I'd need the stock kernel for that, which I can't get since this is an AOSP ROM... ...Lesson learned; always buy a Nexus phone... Or an open HTC one... :p

Sorry, but there's really no way to get the logcat...

EDIT: I just found a couple of CM-only folders and files... Should I delete them?
They don't seem to fit any purpose, they just sit there, saying 'CM--something--'. None of the AOKP ROMs have the files or folders...

Last edited:

-NickHalden-

Apr 19, 2012
Gotham
techgeekal.com
Hmmm...
That needs adb, no? Well, I can't do adb unless the phone is inside Android. The recoveries are somewhat buggy and don't connect the phone to a PC, besides the official TWRP one, but I'd need the stock kernel for that, which I can't get since this is an AOSP ROM... ...Lesson learned; always buy a Nexus phone... Or an open HTC one... :p

Sorry, but there's really no way to get the logcat...

EDIT: I just found a couple of CM-only folders and files... Should I delete them?
They don't seem to fit any purpose, they just sit there, saying 'CM--something--'. None of the AOKP ROMs have the files or folders...

Ok go ahead

someone755

Sep 27, 2011
Ljubljana
Awlright!
After trying a lot of AOKP - CM combos, I've finally got it to boot. And it took me some bandwidth and time :p
It boots, but something seems to be wrong with the network, since com.android.phone keeps crashing. All the darn time. You press OK, it immediately comes back again.
Deleting it from /system/app obviously stops if from crashing, but now I have no network.
Also, it doesn't recognize my internal storage (the SDcard), so taking pics, screenshots, doing anything that would require the sdcard fails. Just a fc. Camera, gallery, probably more...
Any ideas? I'm just looking at the files inside the ROM and don't know what to replace. A driver, maybe? Or, perhaps something it the build.prop?
I'd give you the logcat, but I'm on my nexus tablet right now... (I'll update the post one I get to a PC)

EDIT: It would seem that because the SDcard can't be mounted, ADB isn't working (and what the heck, since when do you need an SDcard to get ADB?). Either that, or there's an issue with connecting to the PC BECAUSE of the SDcard error.
An update with the ROM development, tho,
I see that replacing various APKs won't get me anything fixed. Maybe replacing libs? [also, replacing libandroid_runtime doesn't boot the ROM, seems like I gotta use the one from my AOKP PORT folder]
And just in case you're not getting this message, I'm gonna tag you. @adityalahiri13 :D

Last edited:

-NickHalden-

Apr 19, 2012
Gotham
techgeekal.com
Awlright!
After trying a lot of AOKP - CM combos, I've finally got it to boot. And it took me some bandwidth and time :p
It boots, but something seems to be wrong with the network, since com.android.phone keeps crashing. All the darn time. You press OK, it immediately comes back again.
Deleting it from /system/app obviously stops if from crashing, but now I have no network.
Also, it doesn't recognize my internal storage (the SDcard), so taking pics, screenshots, doing anything that would require the sdcard fails. Just a fc. Camera, gallery, probably more...
Any ideas? I'm just looking at the files inside the ROM and don't know what to replace. A driver, maybe? Or, perhaps something it the build.prop?
I'd give you the logcat, but I'm on my nexus tablet right now... (I'll update the post one I get to a PC)

EDIT: It would seem that because the SDcard can't be mounted, ADB isn't working (and what the heck, since when do you need an SDcard to get ADB?). Either that, or there's an issue with connecting to the PC BECAUSE of the SDcard error.
An update with the ROM development, tho,
I see that replacing various APKs won't get me anything fixed. Maybe replacing libs? [also, replacing libandroid_runtime doesn't boot the ROM, seems like I gotta use the one from my AOKP PORT folder]
And just in case you're not getting this message, I'm gonna tag you. @adityalahiri13 :D

First of all, Iam glad that it worked for you.
Secondly, The error is a pretty common one. It has happened to me many a times, though i haven't been actually able to figure out why it happens. I just replace the framework folder and that does the trick. Have a try doing that.

someone755

Sep 27, 2011
Ljubljana
Thanks for the tip, BUT
Putting the framework folder from my CM base to my AOKP port doesn't work. I get to the bootanimation, it loops a few times, then it reboots.
Maybe I just have to replace the framework-res.apk with the one from AOKP?

wait_close

Jan 15, 2013
perth
can i do this between themed cm10.1 rom to cm10.1.3....??is it just copy and change build prop?
how about updater script..?

someone755

Sep 27, 2011
Ljubljana
I think porting another minor versino of CM should be easy.
You should just know which files are different and replace them/code them for your device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Many a people have asked me regarding how to port the famous AOKP Rom Based on Jellybean to their devices and also the method of porting themed ROMs, the easy way, without any hassles at all! Here we go!

How To Port AOKP JB

Prerequisites

1. You must use same versions of android.For example, both your port (AOKP) and base(usually Cyanogenmod) must be of same versions.In this case 4.1.1 or 4.2.1.
    2. Try to port from same manufacturer, though different manufacturers does not affect too much.

Procedure

1.Copy App, Media and Framework Folders from your to be ported AOKP Rom.
    3.Paste App, Media and Framework Folders in you base CM10 Rom.
    4.It should work fine.Did i just say fine?Nahh... It should and it will work great :)
    5.If it doesn't boot up, try replacing libandroid_runtime.so.That is copy it from system/lib of your AOKP rom to Cm10 ROM.
    6.That's it.You have just successfully made an AOKP JB Rom of your own!!

Remember that suppose your base (CM10) rom has some issues like camera, gps, etc., your AOKP JB would have it as well as you have based it on CM10...

Now for Porting Themed ROMs

Remember That this is not necessarily for same android versions.You can use it to port themed roms of ICS to JB, or even from gingerbread to JB without any problems :)

Procedure

1.Copy app, media, framework and fonts folder from the themed rom(example Xperia JB).
    3.Paste App, Media, FOnt and Framework Folders of you xperia jb rom(themed rom)in you base CM10 Rom.

Open it with Notepad++.
    persist.sys.themeId=xperias
    persist.sys.themePackageName=com.jasonevil.theme.xperias

xperia_zps02faff7f.png

5.Paste these in the build.prop of your base cm10 rom below the lines "like ro.config.ringtone, ro.config.alarm_alert.These are sometimes not present.So you generally add it below the ADDITIONAL BUILD PROPERTIES section

Something like the image guys ;)

pat_zps3f2be031.png

6.That's it, you just got an amazing themed ROM!!!

So, go ahead and make your own Sense, touchwizz, Xperia and other themed ROMS,,,
    cheers :)

Open it with Notepad++.

xperia_zps02faff7f.png

5.Copy these in the build.prop of you base cm10 rom below the lines "ro.config.ringtone, ro.config.alarm_alert.

Just like the image guys ;)

pat_zps3f2be031.png

One error

One error

thanks for suggesting..cheers:)
    Thanks for the guide!

you download an AOKP ROM for a device with SPECS similar to the 'nozomi'
    No, the stability depends on your base rom, for instance your cm10 rom

Yes if your base cm10 has perfect network your aokp will have perfect network as well.
    Specs basically is resolution, and arm architecture.
    No it isn't just copying mate. Try making from source ;)