[APP][2.3+] SDR Touch - Live radio on your Android device

Search This thread

drboose

Apr 5, 2013
I would definitely buy this app if it had a frequency manager, and a basic scanning function.

Really looks good so far. Keep up the great work!

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
I just recently learned there are GUI interfaces for GNU radio that allow building and connecting blocks.

I'm hopeful we'll see something like that on Android in the not too distant future. The app name "SDR Touch" almost seems to indicate that's what you had in mind.

any chance you could add an option to use rtl_tcp running on another machine?

i could probably modify the rtl_tcp app to forward a connection instead of looking for a dongle, but it'd be a lot simpler and more efficient if sdr touch could just talk to the remote rtl_tcp server directly.

martintzvetomirov

Dec 13, 2008
Vratsa
martinmarinov.info
any chance you could add an option to use rtl_tcp running on another machine?

i could probably modify the rtl_tcp app to forward a connection instead of looking for a dongle, but it'd be a lot simpler and more efficient if sdr touch could just talk to the remote rtl_tcp server directly.
SDR Touch has a "remote connect" option :)

Reactions: hotaru2k3
SDR Touch has a "remote connect" option :)

now i feel like an idiot... i was looking everywhere in the app for such an option, but didn't think to try pressing the menu button.
i think i'm going to blame google and the anti-menu-button phase they're going through for conditioning me against using the menu button.

EDIT: now it's giving me an error that says "Please input the address and port as h
1x1.png
ttp://hostname:
1x1.png
port". I've entered it exactly like that to test it: "h
1x1.png
ttp://hotaru-rpi:1234". if i leave off the "h
1x1.png
ttp://", it doesn't give me an error, but doesn't seem to be working either.

Last edited:

martintzvetomirov

Dec 13, 2008
Vratsa
martinmarinov.info
now i feel like an idiot... i was looking everywhere in the app for such an option, but didn't think to try pressing the menu button.
i think i'm going to blame google and the anti-menu-button phase they're going through for conditioning me against using the menu button.

EDIT: now it's giving me an error that says "Please input the address and port as ht[note][/note]tp://hostname:port". I've entered it exactly like that to test it: "ht[note][/note]tp://hotaru-rpi:1234". if i leave off the "ht[note][/note]tp://", it doesn't give me an error, but doesn't seem to be working either.

There is a "Remote connect" button in the latest version of SDR Touch. The buttons on the right are scrollable.

This is a mistake of mine, sorry. You should not enter http. Also keep in mind you need to have a good router and strong wireless signal since streaming the I/Q over network requires 2 MB/s bandwidth.

Reactions: hotaru2k3
There is a "Remote connect" button in the latest version of SDR Touch. The buttons on the right are scrollable.

This is a mistake of mine, sorry. You should not enter http. Also keep in mind you need to have a good router and strong wireless signal since streaming the I/Q over network requires 2 MB/s bandwidth.

thanks, i've got it working now.

Kuchar09

Apr 3, 2012
SDR Touch v.1.4 is out in the wild!

New features:

• Fine tuning via pinch-to-zoom
  • Improved AM, LSB and USB
  • minor GUI tweaks and bug fixes

Download

Wow just updated and WFM sounds so clear... Weird since it doesn't look like you did anything there lol.

The zoom feature looks like it could be handy.

If I just had a frequency manager for my car install this would be great!!!

Just an idea for the future maybe a widget with 6 presents would be awesome once that feature is added of course ;)

Keep up the good work!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
SDR Touch v.1.4 is out in the wild!

Thanks ! I was waiting for 1.4 before buying.

I didn't realize the key APK was automatically generated and sent. I've been happy to let Google get their 30% (42+% markup), but such ease makes me wonder.

It's still a bit of a struggle to get everything working together. Re-plugging the dongle seems to help.

Now, how about an API ? :) I'd recommend the open ST-Ericsson proposed Android FM API that Sony uses, despite it's unclear future.

Of course a few simple public Intents for tuning would be useful too.

martintzvetomirov

Dec 13, 2008
Vratsa
martinmarinov.info
Thanks ! I was waiting for 1.4 before buying.

I didn't realize the key APK was automatically generated and sent. I've been happy to let Google get their 30% (42+% markup), but such ease makes me wonder.

It's still a bit of a struggle to get everything working together. Re-plugging the dongle seems to help.

Now, how about an API ? :) I'd recommend the open ST-Ericsson proposed Android FM API that Sony uses, despite it's unclear future.

Of course a few simple public Intents for tuning would be useful too.

Well, Google removed SDR Touch from Google Play, a long story. So me and Google are not in good business conditions.

As for an API - I haven't thought about it. It is definitely something I should consider in future.

As for the WFM, there were actually a few small fixes applied to the whole DSP which might improve the quality on devices that have higher CPU usage.

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Well, Google removed SDR Touch from Google Play, a long story. So me and Google are not in good business conditions.

I'm well aware of the story, and similar stories of others for various crazy reasons. You have my utmost sympathy on that. I try my best to be "squeaky clean" because my apps are my only income. If Google shut me down I might not be able to continue.

You may know that Google refuses to respond to small developers for most issues we may have. Most emails I've sent get ignored or get a canned response.

AFAICT, Google acts on the DMCA request and that's it. A small dev can do nothing. Frankly, your story has "chilled" any thoughts I might have of doing SDR stuff in my app. It might be interesting, for example, if I could set frequency in your app from mine, but the complainant might come after me.

As for an API - I haven't thought about it. It is definitely something I should consider in future.

I'd be interested in frequency setting Intents or similar. But I'm very much the exception; pretty much nobody has asked for an API in my app.

martintzvetomirov

Dec 13, 2008
Vratsa
martinmarinov.info
You may know that Google refuses to respond to small developers for most issues we may have. Most emails I've sent get ignored or get a canned response.

AFAICT, Google acts on the DMCA request and that's it. A small dev can do nothing. Frankly, your story has "chilled" any thoughts I might have of doing SDR stuff in my app. It might be interesting, for example, if I could set frequency in your app from mine, but the complainant might come after me.ю

Google is not almighty. Frankly, I prefer using PayPal, my own updater and promoting my app with ads rather than having it on Google Play. I had so many issues with Google Play even before the complaint and it is too expensive anyways. I was even thinking of making a petition to raise public awareness of the issue after all Google are actually breaching DMCA section 512(g)(2)(C) by not reinsantiating access to the app they have removed. I mean, I am ready to reveal my source code in front of a lawyer or a judge just to prove that I haven't copied anything from anyone if required. But as an indie developer the time investment is not worth it, what is important is that people that really want ot have the app can download it and use it.

P.S. Presets and waterfall are on the top of the TODO list for the next version or two :)

Reactions: Kuchar09

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Google are actually breaching DMCA section 512(g)(2)(C) by not reinsantiating access to the app they have removed. I mean, I am ready to reveal my source code in front of a lawyer or a judge just to prove that I haven't copied anything from anyone if required. But as an indie developer the time investment is not worth it, what is important is that people that really want ot have the app can download it and use it.

P.S. Presets and waterfall are on the top of the TODO list for the next version or two :)

For frequency setting could one just send a packet to the rtl sdr dameon ?

---
OK, I feel I'm 100% on "your side" on this matter, so please don't misunderstand when I say this:

1 - Google tries to be an "almost everything is computerized" company. They do their best to minimize human contacts and the need for them. In a focused pursuit of money, this is an effective business strategy.

I refuse to be one of the many Internet "armchair CEOs" who think they know better how to run one of the few richest companies on Earth. I'm positive 99.9% of us couldn't run Google any better (strictly money wise) than they are. How can you argue with such success ? The "armchair CEOs" will say their way (IE being "nicer" to developers and users) is better in the long run.

So, in the strict pursuit of money, I think it likely makes sense that Google put very few resources into defending app devs against DMCA or similar requests. How many engineers and lawyers would it take for Google to analyze each situation and defend the devs ?

Yes, on the other side there may be more app sales which always helps Google. I'm sure they help defend larger devs, and/or the larger dev companies themselves are the DMCA target instead of Google.

2 - I don't know all DMCA particulars, but I'm not convinced Google is breaking any laws with their lack of response to DMCA counter claims.

If they ARE breaking laws, I hope and I'd expect that someone somewhere will take them to court, civil or criminal or whatever.

Each news item of a few I've read about this issue, sends some "shame" in Google's direction, but hasn't accomplished anything yet. Maybe some better "shaming" or "leverage" method is needed.

For apps, Google is not merely a file hosting provider, or a "You-tube" style provider. Google Play is very much more "curated", and they have a "contract" with all registered devs that is likely very one sided. I've never even bothered to read it, other than a few parts about bypassing Google's 30%, because I have zero leverage as a sole individual.

I think it's similar to this:

- In public spaces you cannot discriminate against people on the basis of race, religion etc.

- In a private business the owner is 100% within his legal rights to decide to admit people or not on the basis of race, religion, political affiliation, hair color, whatever they want. He may be a jerk, but it's his property and his choice.

Google is the private business owner on whose virtual Play property the apps are displayed.

Google can indefinitely pull apps for any or "no" reason.

Again, I'm not intending to defend Google; Except in the same way I defend free speech, even when I find that speech distasteful.

I, or the CM guys, or anybody can start their own app store and decide what apps will or won't be allowed.

---
Now, a further argument could be made that Google is dominant in the apps space. We could further argue that the apps space should be considered a public place for the good of all. We do the same (somewhat, still...) with the "public airways" of radio broadcasting.

But then, you've got some kind of governmental, or world body type entity that's deciding what apps to allow or not. LOL ! :)

Last edited:

martintzvetomirov

Dec 13, 2008
Vratsa
martinmarinov.info
True that! According to the DMCA any app that was removed due to a violation of DMCA must be returned within 15 days if not court order was presented by the side that filed the complaint. It is two months and a half now and I have received no court order. But of course if I file a case against Google they could always refer to the developer agreement that states that they could remove any app even without a reason whatsoever. I need to have really good lawyers to persuade the judge that my app was not reinstantiated and this was a breach of DMCA which can't really happen.

The unfortunate thing is that if you use other services like AdWords, there are tons of phone numbers and email addresses you could contact. Unlike Google Play in which, as you said, I'm not even sure whether either the original complaint or my counter-complaints was actually read by a human being.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Listen to live FM broadcasts on devices that don't have a built-in FM radio!

Description

SDR Touch turns your mobile phone or tablet into a cheap and portable software defined radio scanner. Allows you to listen to live on air FM radio stations, weather reports, police, fire department and emergency stations, taxi traffic, airplane communications, audio of analogue TV broadcasts, audio amateurs, digital broadcasts and many more! Depending on the hardware used, its radio frequency coverage could span between 50 MHz and 2.2 GHz. It currently demodulates WFM, AM, NFM, USB, LSB, DSB, CWU and CLW signals.
    You can get a compatible USB receiver for under $20 online from eBay. Just plug in your rtl-sdr compatible USB DVB-T tuner into your Android device using a USB OTG Cable and turn on SDR Touch. For list of supported Realtek RTL2832U based dongles, please see the end of the description.

Compatible USB DVB-T tuners

- Generic RTL2832U (e.g. hama nano)
    - ezcap USB 2.0 DVB-T/DAB/FM dongle
    - Terratec Cinergy T Stick Black (rev 1)
    - Terratec NOXON DAB/DAB+ USB dongle (rev 1)
    - Terratec Cinergy T Stick RC (Rev.3)
    - Terratec T Stick PLUS
    - Terratec NOXON DAB/DAB+ USB dongle (rev 2)
    - PixelView PV-DT235U(RN)
    - Compro Videomate U620F
    - Compro Videomate U650F
    - Compro Videomate U680F
    - Sweex DVB-T USB
    - GTek T803
    - Lifeview LV5TDeluxe
    - MyGica TD312
    - PROlectrix DV107669
    - Zaapa ZT-MINDVBZP
    - Twintech UT-40
    - Dexatek DK DVB-T Dongle (Logilink VG0002A)
    - Dexatek DK DVB-T Dongle (MSI DigiVox mini II V3.0)
    - Dexatek Technology Ltd. DK 5217 DVB-T Dongle
    - MSI DigiVox Micro HD
    - Genius TVGo DVB-T03 USB dongle (Ver. B)
    - GIGABYTE GT-U7300
    - DIKOM USB-DVBT HD
    - Peak 102569AGPK
    - SVEON STV20 DVB-T USB & FM

Interaction with battery savers

It turns out some manufacturers such as Huawei and Samsung have very aggressive power saving policies and force close background apps without notice. If the system decides to kill the RTL-SDR (or SdrPlay) driver while SDR Touch is running, the app will stop playing and become unresponsive eventually showing a "Disconnected unexpectedly" error message.

If you are experiencing this issue, the only solution that currently exists is to manually whitelist *both* the SDR driver app and SDR Touch in your phone's power saving settings to prevent the operating system from unexpectedly stopping the apps. More information and instructions on how to do this based on your particular phone make and model can be found on this website: dontkillmyapp.com

Feedback
    An article about SDR Touch - Android Meets the RTL2832U from HamRadioScience

A user submitted video showing off advanced features of SDR Touch running on a mobile phone:

Any additional feature suggestions, comments or feedback will be much appreciated!
    SDR Touch v.2.3 was just released!

New features:

• RDS radio text support
    • Improved RDS reception
    • Scanning continues when signal disappears
    • Improved FM Stereo quality
    • Performance tweaks
    • DSP tweaks

As usual, please report any bugs you find. I am also looking forward to feature suggestions for the supported demodulation modes.

Download
    SDR Touch v.2.0 was just released!

It took a while but it is finally here! The app has been completely rewritten from scratch. This will allow numerous future extensions - adjustable bandwidth, FFT size, plugins, separate GUI for in-car use and many more :) Stay tuned for SDR Touch 2.x versions!

New features:

• Rewritten from scratch
    • Improved reception sensitivity and quality
    • Optimized engine
    • GUI overhaul (Landscape mode, more flexible)
    • 16 bit audio
    • FIR filtering

Download

Note: If you have sent a query within the last couple of months and I haven't responded, try the new version and if your issues still persist, write to me again.
    SDR Touch v.1.7 was just released!

After nearly 3 months of development the new version is here and SDR Touch is better than before!

New features:

• FM is now in STEREO
    • New audio recording feature for PRO users
    • Improved reception and audio quality. All filters were tested for quality and all bugs discovered were removed.
    • The multi-threading logic was completely rewritten. Now it's faster than ever before.
    • Audio is now using NDK.
    • PPM correction, audio gain setting
    • A lot of bug fixes and UI enhancements
    • Experimental x86 support

Download
    Just wanted to let you know I love your app!! Now I can have my FM stations in my car with my nexus 7 car install!

Just out of curiosity do you have any plans to add present buttons (buttons memorize a station) to your app in the near future? I know your just starting this app and you are working things out but just think that would be a great addition.
    A setting to change the background color would also be nice too, not important at all though.

One thing that slight bothers me though is it possible to make the driver automatically enabled upon starting the app instead of having to turn it on, which you can see in the video?

Keep up the great work!!!

Here is a video of it working in my car.

And for those wondering how I installed a tablet in my car... LINK