FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Port] Doom 3 on Android! Now on the Play Store!!

110 posts
Thanks Meter: 41

By traybourne, Senior Member on 2nd April 2013, 11:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread

This has finally been officially released on the Play Store under the name DIII4A! And it is still free to download! You can download it from the follow link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...4.DIII4A&hl=en

This new release does not have much for an increase in performance, but it does have a simplified installation. The gl2progs folder is no longer needed as the app installs it and the configuration files are also not really needed, but can still be used for more advanced tweaking. There are also new options to use ETC1 compression and cache, but I would recommend leaving those off as it increased loading times for me and also reduced performance by a little bit.

This game runs great on my Nexus 4 and other high-end devices! Playing with the onscreen controls is obviously not very good, but if you have a PS3 controller lying around you can get it to work perfectly with it using the Sixaxis Controller app. Just make sure to set it up to emulate a mouse and choose enable mouse in the app's control options (requires root). Purchase a GameKlip too for the ultimate gaming experience on the go! Mouse and keyboard also work great through either bluetooth or USB OTG.

1) Install Doom 3 on your PC and make sure it is updated to the latest version which is 1.3.1.

2) Copy over the base folder from the Doom 3 installation on your PC to your phone into a folder called diii4a. You can change the folder name if you like, just make sure you point the app to the new folder and you CANNOT put spaces in the folder name.

3) Install the app. The latest version is currently v1.1.

4) Start it up and you should have this amazing game running on your phone or tablet. Network features also work and you can even play games with people playing on PC! Here is a YouTube video showing this in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN26X93NUno
Thanks to InsaneNutter for pointing this out!

Also, if you're running it on an older device and the fps are too low, you can disable all the lighting effects by just selecting the "Disable lighting" option at the main menu of the app. The game will run MUCH smoother.

Here is a great step-by-step video tutorial by RolandDeschain79 that also shows some gameplay comparisons between having the lighting enabled and disabled on his Note 2. Thanks man!

This is the Russian thread where it originally came from: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=330329
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to traybourne For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift traybourne Ad-Free
3rd April 2013, 10:36 PM |#2  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 84

More
I installed the game and it works on my PC but when I want to open it on my phone when I hit "Start the game" the app closes itself...
what is wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	5619
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1856298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130403_133052.jpg
Views:	6516
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	1856299  
3rd April 2013, 11:06 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahabk818

I installed the game and it works on my PC but when I want to open it on my phone when I hit "Start the game" the app closes itself...
what is wrong?

The gl2progs folder needs to be inside the base folder, not the diii4a folder. Also, you can delete all the other stuff in that folder. The only things that should be in the diii4a folder are the base folder and the stderr and stdout text documents.
The Following User Says Thank You to traybourne For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift traybourne Ad-Free
3rd April 2013, 11:41 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Sounds promising. I'll try this out after I buy the PS3 controller app.

Thanks.
3rd April 2013, 11:46 PM |#5  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Thanks its working now. It seems that graphics are on low setting and I can't change them
4th April 2013, 02:01 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahabk818

Thanks its working now. It seems that graphics are on low setting and I can't change them

Yeah I don't think the graphics can be changed much in its current state. I looked a little at the Russian thread and it seemed like there was another version with all the lighting effects, but downloading it came up with a 404 error and I can't make anything out cause Google translate doesn't help very much.
The Following User Says Thank You to traybourne For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift traybourne Ad-Free
17th April 2013, 12:25 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by traybourne

I just thought I'd share this on here. I came across this Doom 3 port a little while ago and it runs almost flawlessly on my Nexus 4. Playing with the onscreen controls is obviously not very good, but if you have a PS3 controller lying around you can get it to work perfectly with it using the Sixaxis Controller app. I also have a GameKlip to go with it and I absolutely love being able to play a good console game using a good console controller on the go. I've attached the apk needed. Once installed, just create a folder called diii4a on the root of your storage then copy over the base folder from your Doom 3 installation on your pc into that folder. Also make sure to extract the gl2progs folder I attached into your base folder. Here's the thread where it originally came from. It's all in Russian so I have no clue what's going on in the thread http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=330329&st=1160

Thanks, had been trying to get this working for ages but I didn't know I needed the Gl2progs folder too. Works almost perfectly and with a bluetooth controller too. Can't wait to see what the developer comes out with next.
17th April 2013, 04:48 PM |#8  
NC
Thanks Meter: 186

More
Anyone provide the PC folder/files that are necessary?
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium
21st April 2013, 01:39 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsthecat3

Anyone provide the PC folder/files that are necessary?
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium

Sorry that would be piracy so no dice.
21st April 2013, 06:02 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Xda and android devs never cease to amaze me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
The Following User Says Thank You to Garridon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Garridon Ad-Free
21st April 2013, 06:56 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
hey, this is amazing, must say however i'm a bit of a noob to configuring sixaxis, could you either share your six axis profile or give us a hint on how to configure it for best effect? all ive done atm is bind a/d and look up and down to the left and right sticks where appropriate, but its not the most pleasant experience to use, its quite jerky, have i gone about this the wrong way?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)