[Port] Doom 3 on Android! Now on the Play Store!!

Search This thread

traybourne

Aug 25, 2011
esunva.jpg

This has finally been officially released on the Play Store under the name DIII4A! And it is still free to download! You can download it from the follow link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.n0n3m4.DIII4A&hl=en

This new release does not have much for an increase in performance, but it does have a simplified installation. The gl2progs folder is no longer needed as the app installs it and the configuration files are also not really needed, but can still be used for more advanced tweaking. There are also new options to use ETC1 compression and cache, but I would recommend leaving those off as it increased loading times for me and also reduced performance by a little bit.

This game runs great on my Nexus 4 and other high-end devices! Playing with the onscreen controls is obviously not very good, but if you have a PS3 controller lying around you can get it to work perfectly with it using the Sixaxis Controller app. Just make sure to set it up to emulate a mouse and choose enable mouse in the app's control options (requires root). Purchase a GameKlip too for the ultimate gaming experience on the go! Mouse and keyboard also work great through either bluetooth or USB OTG.

1) Install Doom 3 on your PC and make sure it is updated to the latest version which is 1.3.1.

2) Copy over the base folder from the Doom 3 installation on your PC to your phone into a folder called diii4a. You can change the folder name if you like, just make sure you point the app to the new folder and you CANNOT put spaces in the folder name.

3) Install the app. The latest version is currently v1.1.

4) Start it up and you should have this amazing game running on your phone or tablet. Network features also work and you can even play games with people playing on PC! Here is a YouTube video showing this in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN26X93NUno
Thanks to InsaneNutter for pointing this out!

Also, if you're running it on an older device and the fps are too low, you can disable all the lighting effects by just selecting the "Disable lighting" option at the main menu of the app. The game will run MUCH smoother.

Here is a great step-by-step video tutorial by RolandDeschain79 that also shows some gameplay comparisons between having the lighting enabled and disabled on his Note 2. Thanks man!

This is the Russian thread where it originally came from: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=330329

Last edited:

shahabk818

Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I installed the game and it works on my PC but when I want to open it on my phone when I hit "Start the game" the app closes itself...
what is wrong?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 5,717
  • IMG_20130403_133052.jpg
    IMG_20130403_133052.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 6,613

traybourne

Aug 25, 2011
I installed the game and it works on my PC but when I want to open it on my phone when I hit "Start the game" the app closes itself...
what is wrong?

The gl2progs folder needs to be inside the base folder, not the diii4a folder. Also, you can delete all the other stuff in that folder. The only things that should be in the diii4a folder are the base folder and the stderr and stdout text documents.

Reactions: shahabk818

traybourne

Aug 25, 2011
Thanks its working now. It seems that graphics are on low setting and I can't change them

Yeah I don't think the graphics can be changed much in its current state. I looked a little at the Russian thread and it seemed like there was another version with all the lighting effects, but downloading it came up with a 404 error and I can't make anything out cause Google translate doesn't help very much.

Reactions: shahabk818

Deu5Vult

Apr 8, 2009
I just thought I'd share this on here. I came across this Doom 3 port a little while ago and it runs almost flawlessly on my Nexus 4. Playing with the onscreen controls is obviously not very good, but if you have a PS3 controller lying around you can get it to work perfectly with it using the Sixaxis Controller app. I also have a GameKlip to go with it and I absolutely love being able to play a good console game using a good console controller on the go. I've attached the apk needed. Once installed, just create a folder called diii4a on the root of your storage then copy over the base folder from your Doom 3 installation on your pc into that folder. Also make sure to extract the gl2progs folder I attached into your base folder. Here's the thread where it originally came from. It's all in Russian so I have no clue what's going on in the thread http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=330329&st=1160

Thanks, had been trying to get this working for ages but I didn't know I needed the Gl2progs folder too. Works almost perfectly and with a bluetooth controller too. Can't wait to see what the developer comes out with next.

Mael5trom

Jun 15, 2010
hey, this is amazing, must say however i'm a bit of a noob to configuring sixaxis, could you either share your six axis profile or give us a hint on how to configure it for best effect? all ive done atm is bind a/d and look up and down to the left and right sticks where appropriate, but its not the most pleasant experience to use, its quite jerky, have i gone about this the wrong way?

traybourne

Aug 25, 2011
Xda and android devs never cease to amaze me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I know right? This kind of stuff is what makes me love Android more and more.

hey, this is amazing, must say however i'm a bit of a noob to configuring sixaxis, could you either share your six axis profile or give us a hint on how to configure it for best effect? all ive done atm is bind a/d and look up and down to the left and right sticks where appropriate, but its not the most pleasant experience to use, its quite jerky, have i gone about this the wrong way?

In the Doom 3 app there is an option to hide on screen controls and use a mouse, and there is also an option in Sixaxis Controller to emulate a mouse using the right stick. It works great when you set it up that way.

Reactions: Mael5trom

Garridon

Apr 30, 2012
I get the game started fine, when I'm loading the game itself after selecting new game it gives me an in game error saying what's in the picture.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366556623377.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366556623377.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 1,344

Garridon

Apr 30, 2012
Never mind, I hadn't played it for so long I needed to update it lol

Sent from my Nexus 7

the4ndy

Jan 13, 2012
New Brunswick
Doom 3 BFG Edition?

Hey, I cant find my copy of Doom 3 from way back in 2005 or whatever. If I were to purchase the new (remake?) BFG Edition of Doom 3 do you think this would still work? Anyone try this or know the differences between the two game editions?

traybourne

Aug 25, 2011
Hey, I cant find my copy of Doom 3 from way back in 2005 or whatever. If I were to purchase the new (remake?) BFG Edition of Doom 3 do you think this would still work? Anyone try this or know the differences between the two game editions?

I haven't tried it but I wouldn't think it'd work because the original will only work on version 1.3.1 and I'm sure the remake has quite a bit more changes to it. Plus The graphics are better so it would have even more trouble running it. If you do end up buying it though, give it a shot and let us know.

Garridon

Apr 30, 2012
Finally figured out how to get lighting!

2 ways

1. Download ROM toolbox, go to the folder "base" and press the button "new" and hit file.

Name it "autoexec.cfg" (without quotes) now click on the newly created file and open it as a text file and choose the text editing app of your choice.

Now type in "set r_nolight 0" (again without quotes) and save it.

Enjoy!

2. Start up the app and where it says command add in so it looks like this "game.arm + set no_light 0" (without quotes)

I have not tested this so you may have to play around with it and report results :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You may have to lower you resolution to make it more playable, frame rate drops quite a bit with lighting.

Sent from my Nexus 7

---------- Post added at 05:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 AM ----------

And now I feel dumb because its in the op now xD

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:

traybourne

Aug 25, 2011
Finally figured out how to get lighting!

2 ways

1. Download ROM toolbox, go to the folder "base" and press the button "new" and hit file.

Name it "autoexec.cfg" (without quotes) now click on the newly created file and open it as a text file and choose the text editing app of your choice.

Now type in "set r_nolight 0" (again without quotes) and save it.

Enjoy!

2. Start up the app and where it says command add in so it looks like this "game.arm + set no_light 0" (without quotes)

I have not tested this so you may have to play around with it and report results :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You may have to lower you resolution to make it more playable, frame rate drops quite a bit with lighting.

Sent from my Nexus 7

---------- Post added at 05:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 AM ----------

And now I feel dumb because its in the op now xD

Sent from my Nexus 7

Lol yeah sorry I beat you to it. Just updated the OP the other day :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    esunva.jpg

This has finally been officially released on the Play Store under the name DIII4A! And it is still free to download! You can download it from the follow link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.n0n3m4.DIII4A&hl=en

This new release does not have much for an increase in performance, but it does have a simplified installation. The gl2progs folder is no longer needed as the app installs it and the configuration files are also not really needed, but can still be used for more advanced tweaking. There are also new options to use ETC1 compression and cache, but I would recommend leaving those off as it increased loading times for me and also reduced performance by a little bit.

This game runs great on my Nexus 4 and other high-end devices! Playing with the onscreen controls is obviously not very good, but if you have a PS3 controller lying around you can get it to work perfectly with it using the Sixaxis Controller app. Just make sure to set it up to emulate a mouse and choose enable mouse in the app's control options (requires root). Purchase a GameKlip too for the ultimate gaming experience on the go! Mouse and keyboard also work great through either bluetooth or USB OTG.

1) Install Doom 3 on your PC and make sure it is updated to the latest version which is 1.3.1.

2) Copy over the base folder from the Doom 3 installation on your PC to your phone into a folder called diii4a. You can change the folder name if you like, just make sure you point the app to the new folder and you CANNOT put spaces in the folder name.

3) Install the app. The latest version is currently v1.1.

4) Start it up and you should have this amazing game running on your phone or tablet. Network features also work and you can even play games with people playing on PC! Here is a YouTube video showing this in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN26X93NUno
    Thanks to InsaneNutter for pointing this out!

Also, if you're running it on an older device and the fps are too low, you can disable all the lighting effects by just selecting the "Disable lighting" option at the main menu of the app. The game will run MUCH smoother.

Here is a great step-by-step video tutorial by RolandDeschain79 that also shows some gameplay comparisons between having the lighting enabled and disabled on his Note 2. Thanks man!

This is the Russian thread where it originally came from: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=330329
    Compiles Maps Too!

Cool. It compiles maps too!

I had to relearn the editor just to do this. lol
    pc.jpg

Here is typing the command (dmap) which compiles the map:
    0.jpg

The game takes a few seconds, prints the compile log to console, and now we can run our freshly complied map:
    1.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out what is so dang hard for it to render. Two monsters, a box map, and two lights, and it runs the same as SP levels:
    2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
    How to play Doom 3 on Android video

I'm not sure then. My only suggestion would be to start over completely from scratch, read the OP very carefully, clear the data for the app, and maybe try another copy of Doom 3. It's been confirmed working on the Note 2 so it has to be your set up somehow.

EDIT: I was looking at your screenshot again and is your base folder inside a folder called diii4a or is it just at the root of your SD card?

Hey Traybourne It works fine on my Note 2:good: I made a little video explaining how to install Doom 3 onto Android, feel free to add it to your OP if you like. I tweaked my Doom 3 game a lot back in the day to squeeze out as much performance as possible. I liked how you included the autoexe config, I started to mess around with it a bit. I read a great Doom 3 tweaking guide, checkout the link below. I turned off little things like player shadows, further tweaking should be possible and I wanted to share the info. I included the configs I used in the video below. Thanks for great tweaking ideas:good:

Gameplay starts @ 7:00

Doom 3 Tweak guide:

Roland's High and Low quality config pack (Optional)
    This makes me wish valvewould port half life source to android!!!
    You can even play networks games with Doom 3 on the PC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN26X93NUno (Embedding YouTube videos appears to be broke?)

How to setup it on my note 2 some1 plss explain in details..

Have a read of this, it should help you out: Doom 3 Android Port Setup