FORUMS

[GUIDE][TW][AOSPA] Swap Internal Memory with External & External with Internal

1,005 posts
Thanks Meter: 211

By chandrus1983, Senior Member on 23rd April 2013, 10:10 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi guys

Many people here want to swap memory i.e. making Internal Storage to act as External Storage and External Storage as Internal Storage... for example your 16Gb inbuilt storage will be external storage and 8/16/32/64Gb memory card will be Internal storage, so that you can play all the HD Games

I have searched many threads regarding this, but i did not find the EASY steps to swap it.

I found a couple of Easy things which works only for GB/JB

I AGREE THERE ARE THREADS FOR JELLYBEAN

but they are very complicated, like using ADB Shell and all , which newbies like me dont know what to do with it.

I have searched a lot to get this thing, i dont want people to search for it like i did, so i'm creating a new and easy thread.

THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH ICS/GB & I DONT KNOW IF IT WORKS WITH NON TW ROMS LIKE CM

THIS WORKS PERFECTLY WITH TW JELLYBEAN ROMS

Here i present you the easiest way to swap memory, Ofcourse you need a ROOTED phone

You have got 2 options to swap the memory,

1. Download the rar file attached to this thread and extract it, you will get vold.fstab file, now transfer it to your phone and paste it in /system/etc using ROOT EXPLORER or any similar file manager and reboot (this is very very easy)
Permission must be: RWX,R-X,R-X
Make sure you have mounted to R/W before pasting the file

OR

2. Manually edit the vold.fstab and save it. (a bit tricky )

a) Install ROOT EXPLORER (i am sure you know where to get it) or any other file manager, but here i used Root Explorer as its very easy n friendly.

b) open root explorer and navigate to /system/etc and find vold.fstab, tap and hold on it and then click open with and choose ''TEXT EDITOR''

Now replace these lines

Code:
# internal sdcard
{ 
	ums_sys_path = /sys/class/android_usb/f_mass_storage/lun0/file
	secure_format = enable
	discard = enable
	supported_exfat = disable
}
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 11 /devices/platform/dw_mmc/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0 encryptable_nonremovable

# external sdcard
{
	ums_sys_path = /sys/class/android_usb/f_mass_storage/lun1/file
	android_secure_containers = enable
}
dev_mount sdcard1 /storage/extSdCard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1

WITH

Code:
# internal sdcard
{ 
	ums_sys_path = /sys/class/android_usb/f_mass_storage/lun1/file
android_secure_containers = enable
}
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1

# external sdcard
{
	ums_sys_path = /sys/class/android_usb/f_mass_storage/lun0/file
discard = enable
}
dev_mount sdcard1 /storage/extSdCard 11 /devices/platform/dw_mmc/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0 encryptable_nonremovable
Refer this image - http://bit.ly/ZhV6PM

after replacing , tap on menu key (soft key) and select ''Save and Exit''

After you tap on it, it comes back to folder, dont do anything, just REBOOT your phone.

TA DAAAAAAAAAAAA Memory is swapped.
for confirmation go to settings --> storage and check it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For AOSPA ROM Android Version 4.3 and Above
This also works with ROM's which doesn't has the vold.fstab file. Generally Android 4.3 ROM's doesnt have vold.fstab file, so do the following to swap memory.

There are two ways to do it.

1. If you are using ParanoidAndroid (Android Version 4.3 n Above), you can just replace the ''build.prop'' file. Replace only if using Paranoid Android, If you use any other 4.3 ROM, please do as instructed in 2nd method.

Download the file from here http://goo.gl/O16frm or download from the attachment and paste it in /system with the help of root explorer or any file manager.
Make sure permission is
RW-
R--
R--

Now reboot the device, its done

2. If you do not want to copy paste my build.prop or if you use other 4.3 ROM you can do the following.

open build.prop file using root explorer or any file manager and paste the following lines at the end of the existing build.prop

Code:
# Change to 1 for swapping SD cards
persist.sys.vold.switchexternal=1

# Storage configuration
ro.vold.switchablepair=/storage/sdcard0,/storage/sdcard1
Refer this image ---> http://goo.gl/sBqFCw
it should match with your build.prop

now after editing the build.prop, save and exit, make sure permissions is
RW-
R--
R--

Now reboot the device and its done

I don't know if any of these methods work in 4.2.2 ROM, If you want you should try it at your own risk

I have tested the above methods in Android 4.1.2 ROM and AOSPA Android Version 4.3 ROM, It works perfectly.

and the last and important thing is THIS IS ONLY FOR GALAXY NOTE N7000

Notes:

1. ITS RECOMMENDED TO DO THIS MODIFICATION JUST AFTER YOU INSTALL NEW ROM

2. PLEASE PLEASE take a backup of your internal memory and external memory before doing this modification, just in case if anything goes wrong (99.9% nothing will go wrong) but still to be on safer side, its recommended

3. If you have skipped the #1 then copy all the Android folder and paste it into memory card (yes memory card), so that your pre installed apps works perfectly.

4. Please take a backup of your stock vold.fstab file before trying this

5. CWM Recovery will NOT recognise this SWAP, you will see no change in memory in CWM Recovery, Internal is Internal and External is External there, just like stock.

I have tested it on my and my friend's Samsung Galaxy Note GT - N7000 and it is working perfectly

Thanks to: anoopva, sarjarim, Adi_Pat.
and also to my Phone for testing it..lol

Thank You
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	8183
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	1904687  
Attached Files
File Type: rar vold.fstab.rar - [Click for QR Code] (698 Bytes, 6570 views)
File Type: rar build.prop AOSPA 4.3.rar - [Click for QR Code] (1.3 KB, 1564 views)
The Following 48 Users Say Thank You to chandrus1983 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chandrus1983 Ad-Free
23rd April 2013, 01:06 PM |#2  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 5

More
swap internal with external card
Hi! I appreciate this thread but it was to late for me! I searched a lot of times this thing, spending days by days trying to find this sollution when i had a Galaxy s2. One day, i finally founded this sollution on a Galaxy s2 thread. When i switched to Galaxy Note i had no ideea how to do that for this model but i tryied with that vold.fstab file moded for galaxy s2 and it worked. So,every time i flash a new rom i replace the original file with the modded one and it works. So,for me this doesn't help me at all! I really thing that this will be verde useful for many people who don't know that! Bravo! Congratulations!
The Following User Says Thank You to maryius For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift maryius Ad-Free
23rd April 2013, 03:25 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Somewhere In India

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryius

Hi! I appreciate this thread but it was to late for me! I searched a lot of times this thing, spending days by days trying to find this sollution when i had a Galaxy s2. One day, i finally founded this sollution on a Galaxy s2 thread. When i switched to Galaxy Note i had no ideea how to do that for this model but i tryied with that vold.fstab file moded for galaxy s2 and it worked. So,every time i flash a new rom i replace the original file with the modded one and it works. So,for me this doesn't help me at all! I really thing that this will be verde useful for many people who don't know that! Bravo! Congratulations!

Thanks mate, Yes, i did search a lot like you, hours together to find this
But finally i got it
and you say you are using vold.fstab of Galaxy S2, well mate, you did risk your phone..lol...anyways you have it, Enjoy!! As you said, this might be useful for others
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chandrus1983 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chandrus1983 Ad-Free
26th April 2013, 01:43 AM |#4  
Southport
Thanks Meter: 187

More
Some one has done this with 2 apk's. One to swap. One to swap back

SENT BY POST...
28th April 2013, 06:25 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Somewhere In India

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard bamber

Some one has done this with 2 apk's. One to swap. One to swap back

SENT BY POST...

Those apk's are bit tricky to use so i have found this which is very easy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chandrus1983 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chandrus1983 Ad-Free
29th April 2013, 12:55 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 681

More
can we use this for other devices ?
29th April 2013, 02:55 PM |#7  
Flag Delhi
Thanks Meter: 77

More
1. Will it work for LG Optimus L9?
2. With 32GB Class 10 sd card?

Sent from my unrooted LG-P765 using xda app-developers app
29th April 2013, 04:28 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Somewhere In India

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraaka

can we use this for other devices ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardeep_Singh

1. Will it work for LG Optimus L9?
2. With 32GB Class 10 sd card?

Sent from my unrooted LG-P765 using xda app-developers app

Single answer for both questions

Contact some dev's in your forum they can modify the VOLD.FSTAB file for sure.
they have knowledge about your respective phones.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chandrus1983 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chandrus1983 Ad-Free
zylor
12th May 2013, 03:17 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
vold.fstab NEEDS TO BE MODIFIED TO EVERY PHONE AND EVERY ROM VERSION!

The method that @chandrus1983 is presenting here WORKS ONLY IN TOUCHWIZ 4.1.2 ROMS FOR GT-N7000

If you want it to work in CyanogenMOD roms, AOSP, PAOSP, AOKP you need to go into: /system/etc/vold.fstab and MODIFY IT MANUALLY!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
12th May 2013, 03:54 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Somewhere In India

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zylor

vold.fstab NEEDS TO BE MODIFIED TO EVERY PHONE AND EVERY ROM VERSION!

The method that @chandrus1983 is presenting here WORKS ONLY IN TOUCHWIZ 4.1.2 ROMS FOR GT-N7000

If you want it to work in CyanogenMOD roms, AOSP, PAOSP, AOKP you need to go into: /system/etc/vold.fstab and MODIFY IT MANUALLY!

I have already mentioned it Please have a look at it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chandrus1983 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chandrus1983 Ad-Free
18th May 2013, 10:46 PM |#11  
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Excellent Method Bro. I was scratching my head over options like CronMod, Folder Mount and Directory Bind. I also have Galaxy Note 2 and Note 10.1. both with Samsung Touchwiz 4.1.2. Will the same file and text work there also.?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)