AT&T S4 IS bootloader locked. CONFIRMED according to Samsung and others.

Search This thread

ste1164

Jan 16, 2010
Darlington
According to Koush on his G+ apparently the AT&T and Verizon S4 will be bootloader locked. Whilst the Verizon one probably will be the AT&T one would be a shock. I can't imagine this is true as the other galaxy devices on AT&T haven't been but I thought I'd let people know :) if this is the case I imagine it will be bypassed :p.

UPDATE: according to the engadget review they contacted Samsung who confirmed the s4 is bootloader locked. http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/24/samsung-galaxy-s-4-review/

UPDATE2: according to many sources one being Steve Kondik on he G+ the AT&T S4 is bootloader locked.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/100275307499530023476/posts/b4AqTzzVKVS

Last edited:
Reactions: fix-this!

rsmolen

May 7, 2011
According to Koush on his G+ apparently the AT&T and Verizon S4 will be bootloader locked. Whilst the Verizon one probably will be the AT&T one would be a shock. I can't imagine this is true as the other galaxy devices on AT&T haven't been but I thought I'd let people know :) if this is the case I imagine it will be bypassed :p.

I don't think we should be all that concerned if this is true. I am coming from the HTC One X, which was rooted on day 1 on XDA and the bootloader was unlocked on day 3 or day 4 on XDA. If it is locked, it is only a matter of time.

BeansTown106

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2011
BeanTown USA
if its locked im pretty sure adam will be more than willing to help unlock it like he did for the vzw s3 and note2 considering his main carrier is att ;)

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

I don't think we should be all that concerned if this is true. I am coming from the HTC One X, which was rooted on day 1 on XDA and the bootloader was unlocked on day 3 or day 4 on XDA. If it is locked, it is only a matter of time.

completely different than a htc. they are in no way locked the same way the htc unlock was basically a bypass of how htcdev worked. this will actually take hardware level scanning etc. and then finding an exploit somewhere in the bootloader or the pit

Reactions: BDHela and Simba501

mattdm

Dec 31, 2011
Yeah, where are you getting your information?

EDIT: Sorry, just saw the line about Koush on G+.

Last edited:

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest
Now thats a bit drastic lol. By no means does this mean, if its true, that it wouldnt be unlockable very shortly. I'd just like to read something about it though.

I guess its just me but i cant do phones that dont have root. But i heard this a week ago on android central too that the verizon & at&t models will be locked up. I was hoping it was wrong.

mg2195

Dec 5, 2011
RSM
If true its going back and ill pick up the htc one or just keep my note 2.

if the bootloader is locked you'll go to HTC Lololololol - you are aware that HTC locks all their bootloaders right?and if you wanna flash roms on the go you have to also s-off the device...otherwise you will need a computer for every Rom flash...or flashimagegui.apk if it supports your phone. And lately HTC s-off has required hardware tampering like my HTC vivid...you literally to short the phone while running a program with a wire...HTC is the worst android company (nice phones tho...) But they just lock everything down so hard

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

plmiller0905

Apr 25, 2010
Chicago
if the bootloader is locked you'll go to HTC Lololololol - you are aware that HTC locks all their bootloaders right?and if you wanna flash roms on the go you have to also s-off the device...otherwise you will need a computer for every Rom flash...or flashimagegui.apk if it supports your phone. And lately HTC s-off has required hardware tampering like my HTC vivid...you literally to short the phone while running a program with a wire...HTC is the worst android company (nice phones tho...) But they just lock everything down so hard

Im thinking about grabbing the GS4 on my other line, which I'm sure i will...I already bought a few cases for it.. :) But anyways, I currently have the HTC One and its unlocked and rooted and I can flash roms on the go. I can also flash international roms as they also work on the ATT HTC One with no issues. And for everyone that likes CM, it was posted on G+ that almost the entire CM team grabbed a HTC One.

Last edited:
Reactions: fix-this!

ste1164

Jan 16, 2010
Darlington

Koush said he had a source I do not know who it is & the HTC One is open after you use HTC Dev. The only disadvantage being you can't hide the fact you have done it until you get S-Off. Older HTC devices I agree flashing the boot.img on the One X was very annoying but the one isn't like this.

mg2195

Dec 5, 2011
RSM
Koush said he had a source I do not know who it is & the HTC One is open after you use HTC Dev. The only disadvantage being you can't hide the fact you have done it until you get S-Off. Older HTC devices I agree flashing the boot.img on the One X was very annoying but the one isn't like this.

Well thank god HTC finally has started to get the idea of what android is all about-great to know you no longer have to flash the boot.IMG separately

mojorisin7178

Wow I'm glad I never got an htc. I did hear they locked all bootloaders. I also heard that all verizon phones have locked bootloaders not too sure if that is true. But All I know is I have had the galaxy s, the galaxy 2 and 3 and the galaxy note 2. And oh yea then there was my first android phone the g2x (I wonder why I almost forgot about that one) I got to say I love my note2 it kicks ass and it sounds funny but my favorite was the s2 I don't know why but I just love that phone. Right now I am using the s3 because I dropped my note2. Its a nice phone but just not as good as the others. Plus its a picky processor. Unfortunately I regret the fact that I will not be getting an s4 because I am going to be tied up medically for the next year or so by the time I am around there will probably be an s5 or note 3 or 4 if they even go that far with them. Or who knows maybe samsung will start a new flagship. Sorry to go off topic fellas

jtc276

Jul 9, 2011
Ripley, WV
Wow I'm glad I never got an htc. I did hear they locked all bootloaders. I also heard that all verizon phones have locked bootloaders not too sure if that is true. But All I know is I have had the galaxy s, the galaxy 2 and 3 and the galaxy note 2. And oh yea then there was my first android phone the g2x (I wonder why I almost forgot about that one) I got to say I love my note2 it kicks ass and it sounds funny but my favorite was the s2 I don't know why but I just love that phone. Right now I am using the s3 because I dropped my note2. Its a nice phone but just not as good as the others. Plus its a picky processor. Unfortunately I regret the fact that I will not be getting an s4 because I am going to be tied up medically for the next year or so by the time I am around there will probably be an s5 or note 3 or 4 if they even go that far with them. Or who knows maybe samsung will start a new flagship. Sorry to go off topic fellas

The S2 was a perfect phone for the time. It's also been my favorite Android phone ever...but hopefully the S4 takes that title soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

02busa

Jul 29, 2010
Madison, MS
Im thinking about grabbing the GS4 on my other line, which I'm sure i will...I already bought a few cases for it.. :) But anyways, I currently have the HTC One and its unlocked and rooted and I can flash roms on the go. I can also flash international roms as they also work on the ATT HTC One with no issues. And for everyone that likes CM, it was posted on G+ that almost the entire CM team grabbed a HTC One.

While yes Steve Kondik himself got the AT&T HTC One... He also said he's going to carry both the S4 and the One in his review of the One. That being said... HTC has pissed away their chances with me. The One in my humble opinion is fugly, and the thing feels like a cheap toy.. I'm way more impressed by the build quality of my Nexus 4 or Optimus G.. Also I love having the ability to swap out the battery something I've missed having sold my S3 as well as the fact it has an SD card slot.. But that's just my opinion..

Sent from my Atrix HD Maxx...

TemporaryTester

Apr 23, 2013
While yes Steve Kondik himself got the AT&T HTC One... He also said he's going to carry both the S4 and the One in his review of the One. That being said... HTC has pissed away their chances with me. The One in my humble opinion is fugly, and the thing feels like a cheap toy.. I'm way more impressed by the build quality of my Nexus 4 or Optimus G.. Also I love having the ability to swap out the battery something I've missed having sold my S3 as well as the fact it has an SD card slot.. But that's just my opinion..

Same here. I'm absolutely done with HTC as a company after the Raider.

Who'd have thought that my decision to go with them because of solidly built devices and a good out-of-box experience would go so awry? Here I come, crawling back to Samsung (had an SGS1 previously).

02busa

Jul 29, 2010
Madison, MS
Same here. I'm absolutely done with HTC as a company after the Raider.

Who'd have thought that my decision to go with them because of solidly built devices and a good out-of-box experience would go so awry? Here I come, crawling back to Samsung (had an SGS1 previously).

The Nexus One was a great device, and I loved it.. But I've been quite disappointed with HTC ever since.. I like to give every company a fair shot, The One X (international version) was the last straw for me.. To be completely honest.. IF the Sony Xperia Z or ZL had the snapdragon 600 chipset, I would most likely be getting one instead. I can't justify spending more on that device with an older chipset for more money off contract. S4 is $639 before taxes.. Though I do have a Premier acct, so I'm going to TRY to get them to give me the $100 discount as well.. Never hurts to ask, ended up getting my launch date S3 for $49.99 after they matched Best Buy, and gave me the premier discount.. It's all in whom you talk to...

Reactions: Babydollll

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had my one and s4 side by side before i sold it and you cant tell the difference. What i can tell you there is zero lag on the one unlike the s4.

Whenever I see comments like this I feel totally alienated because who cares about whatever the stock experience is on Sense or Touchwiz? Maybe I'm crazy but my interest in the S4/One has nothing to do with whatever garbage skin it comes with, lag or not. As far as I'm concerned all those manufacturer skins pale enormously to the ones based off AOSP/CM here on xda and after owning numerous Android devices have no interest in suffering through more half baked excuses for an Android experience.

The whole reason I'd like to believe people on here want the s4 is for the hardware of the device. If I just wanted to experience a crippled manufacturer's skin with no expandable storage and no removable battery I feel like I'd just get an iPhone or something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium
    I doubt it, if its like the verizon s3 & note 2 it took a while because it was hardware.
    Verizon S3 didn't take long because Samsung SERIOUSLY ****ed up and didn't do signature checks on recovery when executing. That's a MASSIVE and epic mistake which they did NOT repeat in the Note2. In the end, the final unlock required a leak from someone in Samsung who (I believe) was in the process of losing their job. (e.g. it was effectively unlocked by a disgruntled employee.)

The Note2 was SIGNIFICANTLY more locked down than the GS3, but still had a serious "oops" flaw - Samsung used the same hardware root key for all Exynos 4412 variants AND there were some vulnerabilities in the original bootloader that could be exploited. They made FAR fewer mistakes with that device though.

Verizon GS3 was Samsung's alpha test. GN2 was the beta test.

If the GS4 is indeed locked - expect it to be MUCH more difficult to unlock than any previous device. See http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...d-of-an-era-for-motorola-rooting-and-modding/ - while that is talking about Motorolas, across the board, manufacturers have been getting better and better at NOT ****ing up their security.

Verizon note2 took less than a week after release thanks to adamnoutler and ralekdev just plan on purchasing them the phone I am

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    See above. Don't count on Samsung ****ing up their bootloader locks as badly as they have on previous devices.
    man.... I am thinking of getting a S4 but I have to say that the people at the One forums are a lot nicer. I see both phones being awesome. They target different users so some will LOVE the One and some will LOVE the S4. I don't understand why people feel like getting upset and saying things like I have read on this thread. You will like the phone that caters to your needs. If you hate the One or the S4 then don't buy it but some people will prefer one or the other because the features match their needs.

I'm excited to see both phones unlocked and to see the development for both. Competition is great because it will push both manufacturers to make better phones. Go get em devs!
    [ROOT] Root Samsung Galaxy S4 with Motochopper

this guy (djrbliss) found away to root the s4. do not give me any credit for this post but to him he is the link
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2252248
    if its locked im pretty sure adam will be more than willing to help unlock it like he did for the vzw s3 and note2 considering his main carrier is att ;)

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

completely different than a htc. they are in no way locked the same way the htc unlock was basically a bypass of how htcdev worked. this will actually take hardware level scanning etc. and then finding an exploit somewhere in the bootloader or the pit