Ubutnu Touch on P3100

Search This thread

5h1v4u

Dec 19, 2012
Hyderabad
OSo for those who wanted to test the Ubuntu Touch on those Galaxy Tab2 (P3100), here I give you the complete instructions.

As we're here discussing about Ubuntu, I am giving any pre requirements but will let you know what you need.
- Rooted and CWM (latest version) Installed Galaxy Tab 2 (P3100)
- Should be running on CM10.1 Nightly ROM
- Some concentration and some luck

Note : The credit goes to @thatguruguy and @Menelkir @ketut.kumajaya for those work towards getting you and me the Ubuntu version for tab2 so thank them.

If you are yet to root and install cwm, go online and find out about how to do it.

I nor anyone above are responsible for any damage caused to your device directly or indirectly.

1. Download the device specific part for p3100 (that I've edited) from https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6ZauHCT1LSwOTBKMW0wRkR2VDg/edit?usp=sharing
2. Download the latest Ubuntu nightly raring or quantal from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/daily-preinstalled/current/
3. Place both of these files to your external SD card (it's better to use external card instead of internal memory).
4. Backup your current Android to make sure you can come back at a later time. Use the CWM or the Rom Manager to backup the date. Keep the backup of data on external SD card and copy that to your computer for safety.
5. Reboot your P3100 into Recovery and do
- Data Wipe/Factory Reset
- Wipe the dalvik cache
- Format /System (this one is important)
6. Install quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip or raring-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (anyone of the file).
7. Install the device specif part that I've posted above.
8. Reboot System now and Enjoy the Ubunu

There is nothing much that you can do with the developer preview. So checkout how it is and feel happy that you could have a Ubuntu OS on your tab in future.

Cheers again to @Menelkir and @ketut.kumajaya and @thatguruguy for the device specific builds and the instructions.

Edit:
I was told the Ubuntu can be installed also on the devices that has CM10.1 kernel and doesn't have to have complete os installed. So give it try and let us know.

Edit2:
I have made a video about getting the Ubuntu on your tab. This should help those that are having problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQH2rlEgnJE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit3:
We're having a problem with porting ubuntu with the latest builds.the device specific part seems to be changed/modified.. our great devs are already working on it. If you still want to get a hands-on, try using the old version of ubuntu file.you will have to get into the parent directory to go back. I've tested the May 24th file and it was working. I will find a way to upload that build

Edit4: sorry it took a little long but here is the Ubuntu daily build of 24th may which was working with current build.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6ZauHCT1LSwaFc3aV9IcGNYWnc/edit?usp=docslist_api

Last edited:

BveilSman

Jan 20, 2013
Jaipur
Man :"( Didn't work. I did exactly everything. Even formatted my tab. But after showing the Samsung Galaxy tab 2 logo in the starting, the screen went blank and nothing happened. I left it for 30 ,minutes and still no show =( any suggestions? :confused:

5h1v4u

Dec 19, 2012
Hyderabad
What operating system do you have on your tab?
Remember you got to be in Cyanogenmod 10.1 nightly ROM to get the Ubuntu work.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

BveilSman

Jan 20, 2013
Jaipur

Is it really a compulsion?? Can't it work from the stock ROM?? :what:

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Alright man thanks for the suggestion. Flashing cm 10.1 nighty now :)

MikeCriggs

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 24, 2010
Catskills, NY
twitter.com

I believe you can run whatever you want before Ubuntu Touch, as long as it has an AOSP+ (CM/AOKP/PA) or AOSP 4.2.2 kernel. But in order to port it to a specific device, it's easiest if CM10.1 (or any other Android 4.2.2 firmware) has been ported to or is officially supported on that device.

uploadfromtaptalk1367243735687.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Last edited:

5h1v4u

Dec 19, 2012
Hyderabad
I really am not sure about that.. I'm no close to a developer (I've only collected everything and put it together).. However, I've read that ubuntu Touch is a nightly's version and should be running on Cyanogenmod nightly.. I've tried with stock rom and sung sonic hd (which none of them don't use cm code I guess) didn't work.. That's when I did a little research and figured out this.
Well, anyway thanks for the information. I'll put this across in the post so those that are running on cm based roms may try..

Reactions: MikeCriggs

BveilSman

Jan 20, 2013
Jaipur
I believe you can run whatever you want before Ubuntu Touch, as long as it has an AOSP+ (CM/AOKP/PA) or AOSP 4.2.2 kernel. But in order to port it to a specific device, it's easiest if CM10.1 (or any other Android 4.2.2 firmware) has been ported to or is officially supported on that device.

View attachment 1922039

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

damn.
4.2.2 is real important? I use a 4.1.2 cyanogenMod nightly :(

5h1v4u

Dec 19, 2012
Hyderabad
Ubuntu is a developer preview.. Which makes developers to show how it looks like and let them sort out to port to their device.. So you can't make calls or use Internet using 3G.. You can connect to Wifi though and access Internet.

surajsun22

May 26, 2010
Good job.... Really looking forward to it...

Can we have some screenies or pics of tab running ubuntu touch....

Really xcited can't wait to download and install....... :D

Will reply here once installed....

Last edited:

5h1v4u

Dec 19, 2012
Hyderabad
Sure.. Here are 2 of the pics..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369297966698.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369297966698.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 684
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369297983642.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369297983642.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 671

surajsun22

May 26, 2010
sad its not working fr me....... :(

i was running cm10.1-20130429-nightly build

and followed exact instructions as stated....

wat else could be the problem.....??????

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OSo for those who wanted to test the Ubuntu Touch on those Galaxy Tab2 (P3100), here I give you the complete instructions.

As we're here discussing about Ubuntu, I am giving any pre requirements but will let you know what you need.
    - Rooted and CWM (latest version) Installed Galaxy Tab 2 (P3100)
    - Should be running on CM10.1 Nightly ROM
    - Some concentration and some luck

Note : The credit goes to @thatguruguy and @Menelkir @ketut.kumajaya for those work towards getting you and me the Ubuntu version for tab2 so thank them.

If you are yet to root and install cwm, go online and find out about how to do it.

I nor anyone above are responsible for any damage caused to your device directly or indirectly.

1. Download the device specific part for p3100 (that I've edited) from https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6ZauHCT1LSwOTBKMW0wRkR2VDg/edit?usp=sharing
    2. Download the latest Ubuntu nightly raring or quantal from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/daily-preinstalled/current/
    3. Place both of these files to your external SD card (it's better to use external card instead of internal memory).
    4. Backup your current Android to make sure you can come back at a later time. Use the CWM or the Rom Manager to backup the date. Keep the backup of data on external SD card and copy that to your computer for safety.
    5. Reboot your P3100 into Recovery and do
    - Data Wipe/Factory Reset
    - Wipe the dalvik cache
    - Format /System (this one is important)
    6. Install quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip or raring-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (anyone of the file).
    7. Install the device specif part that I've posted above.
    8. Reboot System now and Enjoy the Ubunu

There is nothing much that you can do with the developer preview. So checkout how it is and feel happy that you could have a Ubuntu OS on your tab in future.

Cheers again to @Menelkir and @ketut.kumajaya and @thatguruguy for the device specific builds and the instructions.

Edit:
    I was told the Ubuntu can be installed also on the devices that has CM10.1 kernel and doesn't have to have complete os installed. So give it try and let us know.

Edit2:
    I have made a video about getting the Ubuntu on your tab. This should help those that are having problems.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQH2rlEgnJE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit3:
    We're having a problem with porting ubuntu with the latest builds.the device specific part seems to be changed/modified.. our great devs are already working on it. If you still want to get a hands-on, try using the old version of ubuntu file.you will have to get into the parent directory to go back. I've tested the May 24th file and it was working. I will find a way to upload that build

Edit4: sorry it took a little long but here is the Ubuntu daily build of 24th may which was working with current build.
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6ZauHCT1LSwaFc3aV9IcGNYWnc/edit?usp=docslist_api
    Any update on the status for the new build that supports saucy? @ketut.kumajaya @thatguruguy @Menelkir
    All of us are dying to see the saucy build and it's capabilities..

Thanks in advance..

A quick update. The Ubuntu Touch devs are completely changing the way that Ubuntu Touch runs on phones and tablets. Rather than running as a chrooted service within CyanagenMod, Ubuntu will boot first and run the necessary Android bits within an LXC container. They are supposed to be posting a new porting guide within a week or so. When that happens, I'll do a new build and announce it here.
    I'm uploading 20130510 daily image of ubuntu touch. That's the last image worked for me with the specific part for p3100.
    I will share the link once it finishes.

Rgrds.

EDIT:
    Canonical is using ubuntu touch as daily driver for his staff (dogfooding).

But they are working on nexus family, so devs here in xda have to port ubuntu to devices as p3100.

Now calls, 3G data, sms, and core apps are working. Some new apps are being added everyday.

The current state is that ubuntu devs are changing the way the OS runs in android based devices, trying to be independent of android part. This is why xda devs can't run ubuntu now in p31xx, until canonical publish a new porting guide, or they discover the key by themselves.

I've seen few videos of new ubuntu saucy builds.. they seem to have got the gsm network and service provider internet working.. just waiting for our devs to work on the device specific build.. thumbs up to our devs..