Mar 29, 2011
Madurai-Chennai
Xiaomi 13
Xiaomi 13 Pro
Update: 6/5/2013
* replaced method 1 with new method
Update: 19/7/2013
* added new hardware level fix for 9500 users

As of now we all know that almost all s4 units is suffering from smearing issue. After fiddling with some apps here and there I found a temporary solution , this should be handy until Samsung fixes it.

I suggest two method for this issue, Method 1 adjusts the rgb values of the screen(overlays) .Method 2 adjusts the contrast levels of the screen.
With both the above mentioned methods the black levels are not pitch black but will be on par with the blacks of s3 or anyother amoled screens. I prefer method 1, if you guys face any problems with method 1 then you can try method 2.

Method 1:

1.install screen adjuster app from market.
2.Set the values of green, blue, red between 5 to10(I prefer 5) and turn on the filter
3.job done

Method 2:

2.change the contrast level from -0 to -10(you can go upto -20 depending on how far your eyes can balance between smearing and pitch black)
3.turn on the adjuster.
4.job done

Method 3: (HARDWARE LEVEL FIX ONLY FOR 9500 USERS)
This method fixes the smearing at hardware level and changes contrast level of black backgrounds without touching other colors and dosent drains battery like screen adjuster. Thankst to @AndreiLux and @Slimmer77 for their contribution on screen calibration for 9500

Original post by @AndreiLux
One is software and causes battery drain and applies to all colours if you want it or not, and the other is hardware, costs nothing and targets only black.
I doubt he does.

echo 4 > /sys/class/misc/mdnie/hook_control/scr_black_red
echo 4 > /sys/class/misc/mdnie/hook_control/scr_black_green
echo 4 > /sys/class/misc/mdnie/hook_control/scr_black_blue

Will give a 1.56% grey on blacks and removes all smearing. You need to set digital brightness reduction to 0 though since I didn't plan for this use-case and it negates the above "fix".

1.Install a custom kernel that supports screen calibration.
2.goto screen tab
*enable register hook
*set digital brightness reduction to 0.
3.Flash the attached zip file :)
4.job done

Users who hate the non black background(especially it looks poor when used along with smearing fix) introduced by samsung on newer roms can flash teh blac background mod attached in this post :)

Note: Running screen adjuster on background will disable the "install" button while installing apps manually, so disable screen adjuster before you start installing something and resume using screen filter after the installation is over
Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

topcat07

Mar 30, 2013
Does this mean it is software issue Samsung will fix? I have the pink tint on a solid black background I assume this is what method 1 fixes?

Sent from my XT890 using xda app-developers app

chippyuk

Mar 30, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Does this mean it is software issue Samsung will fix? I have the pink tint on a solid black background I assume this is what method 1 fixes?

Personally, if you can fix or at least hide the issue with the above then at the very worst Samsung may change some settings in later roms to the same effect. I am hoping that it is actually a driver issue and a proper fix will come along....

This is an assumption but as the above works then I cannot see it being a hardware issue but then I am no expert.....

play2lose

Aug 11, 2007
Won't this affect battery life? It seems to negate the power saving effect of AMOLED. I believe the smearing comes from the pixels going from off (black) to on (grey) and that switch time not happening fast enough. This app and workaround does definitely work, but it seems that it works because it's changing everything from black to veryyy very dark grey (still looks pretty black to me) however that means that the pixels aren't off if they're displaying grey instead of black right?

kultus

Jul 7, 2007
ok thx balagamer but its only patch for now hope samsung will fix it as i dont wanna blacks like on SGS3 and i really hope sammys fix wont be the same and they will steal the true black from us...that why i bought amoled right for the blacks

bala_gamer

Recognized Contributor
Mar 29, 2011
Madurai-Chennai
Xiaomi 13
Xiaomi 13 Pro
Won't this affect battery life? It seems to negate the power saving effect of AMOLED. I believe the smearing comes from the pixels going from off (black) to on (grey) and that switch time not happening fast enough. This app and workaround does definitely work, but it seems that it works because it's changing everything from black to veryyy very dark grey (still looks pretty black to me) however that means that the pixels aren't off if they're displaying grey instead of black right?

That's how the black looks on s3. Now I can understand why the blacks are pitch black in s4 compared to other galaxies to some extent.

DakiX

Mar 11, 2012
I hate my eyes, because I look so good, but fortunately there is a fix for it halfway. Now I longer scroll ever to go hahaha :good: many thanks!

topcat07

Mar 30, 2013
I have pink tinge and method one just makes a screen too green but thanks anyway!

szymon247

May 14, 2012
Warsaw

I believe this is indeed the case. Samsung could fix that by maintaining the pixels lit at the lowest power level, like with the previous Galaxy phones. I'm not sure if it's worth it though. Hopefully there'll be some even better work-around.

bala_gamer

Recognized Contributor
Mar 29, 2011
Madurai-Chennai
Xiaomi 13
Xiaomi 13 Pro

thats how samsung displayed the blacks in their past galaxy devices. With s4 the black pixels are completely turned off which is not the case with previous galaxy devices. hence even if samsung rolls out a fix they will simply make something similar to what we acheived with "screen adjuster". and dont forget you can still tweak the values in screen adjuster and find the best balance between black and smearing effect, the value "5" mentioned is suitable for me , it may or may not suit others.

kultus

Jul 7, 2007
so thay fu*ked up display also on previous phones and hide it behind the worse blacks really bravo samsung. I have my SGS4 from yesterday and have to say I see it clearly, the edges of grey lines are getting to purple colour. But I dont care because I can see it only if Im focusing on it. But for normal use you focus on text and what are you looking for and not to some grey lines right? So, Im rather happy with my super deep blacks...maybe some good AOSP/AOKP/Cyanogen will replace TW interface...

bala_gamer

Recognized Contributor
Mar 29, 2011
Madurai-Chennai
Xiaomi 13
Xiaomi 13 Pro
so thay fu*ked up display also on previous phones and hide it behind the worse blacks really bravo samsung. I have my SGS4 from yesterday and have to say I see it clearly, the edges of grey lines are getting to purple colour. But I dont care because I can see it only if Im focusing on it. But for normal use you focus on text and what are you looking for and not to some grey lines right? So, Im rather happy with my super deep blacks...maybe some good AOSP/AOKP/Cyanogen will replace TW interface...

It's not ****ed up but that's the way you can get the best out of amoled, lcd don't even have these features, even with this fix the black levels are way better than any other lcd screen in this world

Reactions: HassanM

Terrorantula

Apr 2, 2013
I'm not impressed by the screen at all, dead pixels, really bad ghosting and the screen turns pink at the bottom.

HTC One screen at least only had dead pixels.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: 6/5/2013
    * replaced method 1 with new method
    Update: 19/7/2013
    * added new hardware level fix for 9500 users

As of now we all know that almost all s4 units is suffering from smearing issue. After fiddling with some apps here and there I found a temporary solution , this should be handy until Samsung fixes it.

I suggest two method for this issue, Method 1 adjusts the rgb values of the screen(overlays) .Method 2 adjusts the contrast levels of the screen.
    With both the above mentioned methods the black levels are not pitch black but will be on par with the blacks of s3 or anyother amoled screens. I prefer method 1, if you guys face any problems with method 1 then you can try method 2.

Method 1:

2.Set the values of green, blue, red between 5 to10(I prefer 5) and turn on the filter
    3.job done

Method 2:

2.change the contrast level from -0 to -10(you can go upto -20 depending on how far your eyes can balance between smearing and pitch black)
    3.turn on the adjuster.
    4.job done

Method 3: (HARDWARE LEVEL FIX ONLY FOR 9500 USERS)
    This method fixes the smearing at hardware level and changes contrast level of black backgrounds without touching other colors and dosent drains battery like screen adjuster. Thankst to @AndreiLux and @Slimmer77 for their contribution on screen calibration for 9500

Original post by @AndreiLux
    One is software and causes battery drain and applies to all colours if you want it or not, and the other is hardware, costs nothing and targets only black.
    I doubt he does.

Will give a 1.56% grey on blacks and removes all smearing. You need to set digital brightness reduction to 0 though since I didn't plan for this use-case and it negates the above "fix".

1.Install a custom kernel that supports screen calibration.
    2.goto screen tab
    *enable register hook
    *set digital brightness reduction to 0.
    3.Flash the attached zip file :)
    4.job done

Users who hate the non black background(especially it looks poor when used along with smearing fix) introduced by samsung on newer roms can flash teh blac background mod attached in this post :)

Note: Running screen adjuster on background will disable the "install" button while installing apps manually, so disable screen adjuster before you start installing something and resume using screen filter after the installation is over
    @bala_gamer any idea as to how to remove screen smearing using perseus kernel? :)
    I doubt he does.

Thid is screen smearing my video and the fix
    http://youtu.be/qgxZfT0yXyY

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium
    The problem with applying the above fixes is that the phone is not as fluid anymore .

To test what im saying.. turn on the screen adjuster and yes it fixes the smearing but go to home screen and swipe through your home screens back and forth and notice how it is slower. Its almost like cpu has just became slower... I dont like it. I really cant wait till samsung fixes this.. unbelievable how they missee that

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

Let the sliders at 0 and ONLY change the contrast to like -20. Fixed