[root]Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G

Search This thread

Jay Dogg

Mar 20, 2011
Hello everyone, Im making a new rooting tutorial for the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G as the last tutorial [root]\{cm9} samsung galaxy relay 4g (updated 11/19) wasn't working for me. This tutorial will also have more details so will be easier to follow for the less technical.

BEFORE I START I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE. ROOTING YOUR PHONE WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY..

1. Follow this guide for setting up the SDK. If you already have SDK, great move on to step 2
2. Download Drivers and install them. If you already have your drives installed move on to stop 3
3. Download Odin v3.04
4. Unzip the Odin archive. Put it somewhere you can find it, on the root of your C:\ drive is a good place.
5. Download ClockworkMod-based Recovery
6. Unzip cwm.tar.zip into Odin3-v3.04 folder that you unzipped in step 4
7. Download Super User
8. Place UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip on your phones sdcard.
9. Run the Odin executable "Odin3 v3.04.exe" in the Odin3-v3 folder
9.5 Go into your phone settings and click on Develop Option then make sure USB Debugging is checked.
10. Power off your Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G and connect the USB adapter to the computer and to your Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G
11. Boot the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G into download mode by holding down Home, Volume Down and Power
NOTE: To confirm the device is connected and working, look for the blue COM box with the word Added!! inside
12. Uncheck the box labeled Auto Reboot
13. Press the dialog box labeled PDA and select the ClockworkMod-based Recovery named "cwm.tar.md5"
14. Press start and a blue transfer bar will appear on the device showing the recovery being transferred
15. Once the recovery has been transferred you should see a Green PASSED. At his point disconnect the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G and remove the battery
14. Put your battery back in your Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G and Immediately boot into recovery by holding down Home, Volume Up and Power
15. Once in recovery use volume down to select install zip from sdcard and hit power
16. Use volume down key to select UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip and hit power.
17. Now you are rooted but we are not done yet, Reboot your phone and make sure super user is showing up in the app drawer.
18. Now open up a cmd window by going to the start menu of windows and typing in cmd in the search or by clicking on run on the right hand side.
19. In the cmd window navigate to adb which is part of the SDK kit you installed in step one.
20. Once you are in the same directory as adb.exe type adb shell.
21. Now type su and a pop up will show up on your phone
22. Click grant permission yes
23. Now type mount -o remount rw /system
24. Type cd system
25. Type rm recovery-from-boot.p
26. Type cd etc
27. Type rm install-recovery.sh
28. Repeat steps 9 to 14 BUT SKIP STEP 12

10. Power off your Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G and connect the USB adapter to the computer and to your Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G
11. Boot the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G into download mode by holding down Home, Volume Down and Power
NOTE: To confirm the device is connected and working, look for the blue COM box with the word Added!! inside
13. Press the dialog box labeled PDA and select the ClockworkMod-based Recovery named "cwm.tar.md5"
14. Press start and a blue transfer bar will appear on the device showing the recovery being transferred.

Phone will restart and you now have a custom recovery and are rooted.

Thanks Jay

Last edited:

Chrizuki

Feb 25, 2013
Southampton
Hello everyone, Im making a new rooting tutorial for the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G as the last tutorial [root]\{cm9} samsung galaxy relay 4g (updated 11/19) wasn't working for me. This tutorial will also have more details so will be easier to follow for the less technical.

BEFORE I START I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE. ROOTING YOUR PHONE WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY..

1. Follow this guide for setting up the SDK. If you already have SDK, great move on to step 2
2. Download Drivers and install them. If you already have your drives installed move on to stop 3
3. Download Odin v3.04
4. Unzip the Odin archive. Put it somewhere you can find it, on the root of your C:\ drive is a good place.
7. Download Super User
9.5 Go into your phone settings and click on Develop Option then make sure USB Debugging is checked.
14. Press start and a blue transfer bar will appear on the device showing the recovery being transferred
15. Once the recovery has been transferred you should see a Green PASSED. At his point disconnect the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G and remove the battery
14. Put your battery back in your Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G and Immediately boot into recovery by holding down Home, Volume Up and Power
15. Once in recovery use volume down to select install zip from sdcard and hit power
17. Now you are rooted but we are not done yet, Reboot your phone and make sure super user is showing up in the app drawer.
18. Now open up a cmd window by going to the start menu of windows and typing in cmd in the search or by clicking on run on the right hand side.
19. In the cmd window navigate to adb which is part of the SDK kit you installed in step one.
24. Type cd system
26. Type cd etc

14. Press start and a blue transfer bar will appear on the device showing the recovery being transferred.

Does this root method work for Jelly Bean 4.1.2 running Relay devices?

Sent from my SGH-T699 using xda app-developers app

Chrizuki

Feb 25, 2013
Southampton

3. Download Odin v3.04
7. Download Super User
24. Type cd system
26. Type cd etc

Thanks Jay

I've done most of the instructions said and everything seems fine with my phone. I have SU and it is rooted, but I'm stuck on "25. Type rm recovery-from-boot.p" because when I type it in, it says that the rm failed because there was no such file or directory. Is it really important/necessary to have a custom recovery?

Last edited:
Reactions: C3POID

Jay Dogg

Mar 20, 2011
I've done most of the instructions said and everything seems fine with my phone. I have SU and it is rooted, but I'm stuck on "25. Type rm recovery-from-boot.p" because when I type it in, it says that the rm failed because there was no such file or directory. Is it really important/necessary to have a custom recovery?

Quick answer is no you do not need the custom recovery but it is a good idea to have it. As far as step 25 goes make sure you are in the correct directory. Once you have gotten into your phone using adb shell type cd system. Then type pwd and make sure you are in /system. If you are in system type "ls" and see if the file "recovery-from-boot.p" is there. Repeat these steps for the "install-recovery.sh" file. Now if both file are gone off your phone you can Repeat steps 9 to 14 BUT SKIP STEP 12 or even better if the files didn't exist at all then your should be rooted and already have the custom recovery. You can check to see if you have the custom recovery by booting into recovery by holding down Home, Volume Up and Power or by typing adb reboot recovery but make sure you are not in adb shell.

I wrote this tutorial because the Samsung Galaxy Relay 4g I was rooting had these files "recovery-from-boot.p" and "install-recovery.sh" which was more or less a fail safe for the phones recovery. Every time the phone booted it was checking the recovery and replacing it with the stock recovery by using those two files. So my work around was to get the phone rooted and delete those two files then reflash the custom recovery.

Reactions: Chrizuki
This procedure worked perfectly for me, thanks. I just bought this phone for my Wife. It auto-upgraded to Jelly Bean OTA, and I was ready to root and load recovery. I'm now rooted, and took my first nandroid backup.

The only thing I had to figure out, was how to boot to download mode and recovery. I've done this procedure on many phones and tablets, including a Samsung Galaxy S2, but this phone was a little different. After pressing the volume key, home, and power, you have to release all buttons as soon as you see any text on the screen. For download mode, I had to immediately press volume up within 2 seconds, or it would continue to something else.

I'm curious about this clockwork recovery too. Was it originally written for another device? It works good. I just don't see it offered for this phone in Rom Manager.

Again thanks for taking time to type up this procedure, and for the extra steps at the end for the override. :)

N

Nardholio

CWM isn't in ROM Manager probably because we haven't submitted it to them :D

Reactions: Chrizuki

devis

Aug 2, 2005
San Francisco
cannot cannot for the life of me get this phone to go in recovery. Basically stuck right at step 11. Nothing doing. I hold V down, power, home then I get a msg that tells me V down to power off and V up to start download. Anything I do, phone will just reboot. What am I missing?

Jay Dogg

Mar 20, 2011
cannot cannot for the life of me get this phone to go in recovery. Basically stuck right at step 11. Nothing doing. I hold V down, power, home then I get a msg that tells me V down to power off and V up to start download. Anything I do, phone will just reboot. What am I missing?

Step 11 is to boot into download mode not recovery but in post 6 Jorakal said "The only thing I had to figure out, was how to boot to download mode and recovery. I've done this procedure on many phones and tablets, including a Samsung Galaxy S2, but this phone was a little different. After pressing the volume key, home, and power, you have to release all buttons as soon as you see any text on the screen. For download mode, I had to immediately press volume up within 2 seconds, or it would continue to something else." I didn't have to do it that way but if it worked for Jorakal it may work for you.

If that doesn't work for you, you can always try using adb to reboot into download mode the command is "adb reboot download", this will work for you but you may run into problems on step 14 if you can't boot into recovery using "Home, Volume Up and Power" because by the time you can use adb to boot into recovery the phone has already replaced your custom recovery with the stock one.

Reactions: esilence

mazak23

Oct 21, 2010
15. Once the recovery has been transferred you should see a Green PASSED.
I conclude it is in Odin program.
But on the phone even when its finished in Odin, still white Downloading... And green : Do not turn off target.
Is it right, as I have some problems after reboot.
It is like crashing 3 or 4 times, you can see that on my video.
http://youtu.be/3V24FbY0jH8

I used Odin 3.07 and Super User 1.34
In phone I can see :
Qualcomm secureboot : enable - is that OK?

UPDATE:
All is working fine now.
I follow all steps again.
We don't need to do it with adb, all related commands to adb could be done in shell apk.
Regards and thanks for tutorial.

Last edited:

esilence

Aug 1, 2013
Vienna

3. Download Odin v3.04
7. Download Super User
24. Type cd system
26. Type cd etc

Thanks Jay

I had to struggle with two points. But got them afterwards. Hence it would be great if you update the instructions:

For me, I also had to need to hold down these buttons, but then after message text is coming up, I also then had to release all the buttons and then press Volume up within one second, 2 seconds are too late. Please for that reason just give a note mentioning this in case if its not enough.

please also complete the notice:
NOTE: To confirm the device is connected and working, look for the blue COM box with the word Added!! inside the message box
otherwise I was really confused because in the COM box there is no such text coming in it, and didnt know if I can go ahead or not.

Please check and rewrite the numbers in correct order after 14 - 15 - 14
also because of this:

16. Use volume down key to select UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip and hit power.​

That was the most difficult part for me as I was getting the message: "E: failed to verify whole-file signature" and the installation failed. I found the solution after many google tries. which is in our case to restart the instruction from 15. and go ahead without failing each steps till 16.
Hence, note: In case of failure, repeat the steps from 15 again.

Last edited:

Ziida

Jul 18, 2011

Can I ask what the significance of running step 28 (the repeat step) is?

Is it necessary for recovery to work properly? I only ask because i installed the recovery following these steps up to but not including step 16, and then tried installing the new bootloader, modem, and latest CM nightly, but it's not getting past the CM splash screen

well I got CM to boot by just rewiping and reflashing, but I'm still curious about step 28. I find every phone can have their quirks and it's important to learn them if your'e going to be flashing :eek:

Last edited:

robuser007

Jan 7, 2010
Do I need to root te device to flash other roms ? I've red somewhere that I don't have to do this on this device.

My device has the latest official jelly been, so it has the latest radio & bootloader.

edit: It this the correct order ? (I always wipe all partitions before flashing a rom, expect recovery):

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=46578334&postcount=8

Last edited:

Jay Dogg

Mar 20, 2011

Is it necessary for recovery to work properly? I only ask because i installed the recovery following these steps up to but not including step 16, and then tried installing the new bootloader, modem, and latest CM nightly, but it's not getting past the CM splash screen

well I got CM to boot by just rewiping and reflashing, but I'm still curious about step 28. I find every phone can have their quirks and it's important to learn them if your'e going to be flashing :eek:

Because of these files "recovery-from-boot.p" and "install-recovery.sh" which was more or less a fail safe for the phones recovery. Every time the phone booted it was checking the recovery and replacing it with the stock recovery by using those two files. So my work around was to get the phone rooted and delete those two files then reflash the custom recovery. Because at this point when you reboot the phone to delete those to files they have already ran and you don't have a custom recovery, all you have is root which is what you need to delete those two files =). It appears some people didn't have these files because they had already rooted there phone be for or where not on the most current OTA. If they didn't have the files then they were done at step 17 and if they had tried to go further would of gotten a errors at steps 25 and 27. But if they had the files and stopped at 17 they would no longer have a custom recovery after they had rebooted the phone. So over all steps repeat steps are just to make sure you have a custom recovery installed.

Thanks Jay

Reactions: endolith and Ziida

Ziida

Jul 18, 2011
Because of these files "recovery-from-boot.p" and "install-recovery.sh" which was more or less a fail safe for the phones recovery. Every time the phone booted it was checking the recovery and replacing it with the stock recovery by using those two files. So my work around was to get the phone rooted and delete those two files then reflash the custom recovery. Because at this point when you reboot the phone to delete those to files they have already ran and you don't have a custom recovery, all you have is root which is what you need to delete those two files =). It appears some people didn't have these files because they had already rooted there phone be for or where not on the most current OTA. If they didn't have the files then they were done at step 17 and if they had tried to go further would of gotten a errors at steps 25 and 27. But if they had the files and stopped at 17 they would no longer have a custom recovery after they had rebooted the phone. So over all steps repeat steps are just to make sure you have a custom recovery installed.

Thanks Jay

That's very informative. Thank you so much for the response! I guess I just didn't have to continue past step 17!

robuser007

Jan 7, 2010
I get pit error: on heimdall and odin, what's the problem ?

Get PIT for mapping:
Complete(Write) operation failed!
Added!

edit: using another pc and it worked fine with heimdall (very easy to use).

Last edited:

kilo94

Jan 15, 2011
Worked like a champ for me this morning, followed the steps closely. 4th phone rooted...still going strong...

xheretic

Apr 15, 2008
Hello root experts! :D
I just downloaded all files needed for root and I've got one last question...after these 28 steps procedure whats about my personal data? It will be deleted? Like call log,sms, emails, settings etc... Or it will be untouched?
If no...please can You give me advice for any useful backup app

Many thanks in advance!

EDIT: Already rooted and everything seems to be fine

Last edited:

jwainner

Jun 17, 2009
Having trouble getting superuser zip to intall

I keep getting signature verification failed. tried several places to get superuser zip; same error no matter where. Anyone had this issue?

Thx!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

3. Download Odin v3.04
    7. Download Super User
    24. Type cd system
    26. Type cd etc

Thanks Jay
    Yes, that linked updated CWM is still good. Updating this thread would probably be a good idea, and I will include an ODIN compatible tar.md5 version of TWRP when I make a release of 2.7.0.0 later this evening.

Thanks Jay
    Does this root method work for Jelly Bean 4.1.2 running Relay devices?

Sent from my SGH-T699 using xda app-developers app

yes this should would with any firmware
    Yes, I rooted the phone ages ago from the stock Relay 4G Android (4.0.4, I think, which is what it is now) and only in the last week finally decided to flash CM11. I didn't upgrade the baseband or bootloader (at least I don't remember doing an upgrade for either). What is the process for doing that and will that solve my issue?

Cyangenmod used to have a really good set of installation instructions - that's what I used, though I also learned just enough IRC to get some help from, I believe Magamo, when I first installed. IIRC, and that's a big "if", I believe that the line is at Android 4.1. If you're earlier than Android 4.1, you will need to flash both bootloader and baseband. My phone was at some sort of 4.1, but my wife's may well have been at the same 4.0.4 as yours. So I've done it both ways, but that was YEARS ago.

I would suggest going to the Wayback Machine to see if you find the old Cyanogenmod pages for installation on the Relay. I've put my "last-ever Relay CM11" builds up on my Google Drive, and published a link somewhere around here. I'll have to look around and see if I can find bootloader and baseband updates, somewhere on my hard drive at home.