Post Reply Email Thread
2nd May 2013, 08:22 AM |#6001  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,164

Donate to Me
More
"Galaxy S4 = No OTA FM: In with a bang, and out with a whimper."
There is no usable FM, on the GT-I9500, or Qualcomm S4s such as T-Mobile SGH-M919 or Vodaphone UK GT-I9505.

I examined Spirit debug logs from a rooted Indian GT-I9500, T-Mobile SGH-M919 & Vodaphone UK GT-I9505.

Spirit appears to work, as it does on so many devices with no usable FM, but RSSI is always 0 on GT-I9500, and on SGH-M919 & GT-I9505 it was 0 or -17.

This is on the Broadcom BCM4335 FM/combo chip that all S4 variants have. The FM antenna pin is likely grounded / disabled and unusable.

And, other than a tiny clue in the kernel source, there's no indication of a dedicated FM chip on the PCBs, like the SI470x chips on previous International GS1 / GS2 / GS3 / Player / Note / Note2.

Hypothetically, there could be a dedicated Silicon Labs FM chip, or the PCB space and traces for it, hidden on the GT-I9500 PCBs. But Samsung would be crazy to waste a dollar on a dedicated FM only chip when FM is not officially supported. Even if there was a space for a chip.

Hypothetically, FM might just be missing, or disabled, in the bcm4335.hcd "patchram, almost firmware" kind of file. But I've never seen this happen before.

Hypothetically, there could be a software controlled switch somewhere that magically connects the FM antenna pin to headset, but I've never seen this before either.

So, I consider this case closed, for now at least, unless someone comes up with some interesting new observations.

My predictions were wrong, whatever, keeps life interesting and educational.

EDIT: May 20:
I had thought the existence of FM specific voice command text in ROM dumps indicated that FM was planned at some point.

But the GS3 GT-I9300 has voice commands in the latest stock JB leaked ROM, and it includes support for FM. See http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=6078

I will be interested to eventually see the service manual schematics. Like those for the Nexus4 and Optimus G, I wouldn't be surprised to see evidence that an FM antenna connection to the BCM4335 had been planned, then scrapped. Then again, the kernel GPIO symbols imply an SI470x dedicated FM chip, so the schematic might show some dangling connections for that.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free

2nd May 2013, 10:26 AM |#6002  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

Hmmm, that's not possible at this time, though it should be easy to change, as far as frequency up/down buttons go anyway.

What's the purpose ? Emergency services ?

You can manually enter any frequency, down to 1 KHz increments, but 1 KHz only works on Broadcom chips. 50 KHz works on all.

You can also assign any frequency as a preset.

Yes there are some services in my country that use frequencies a bit out of the default channel range. Thanks for the hint with direct entering the frequency. What happens if 1 kHz increments are not supported? Is there no receiving at all or is there rounded to the next frequency? I have Galaxy S3 unbranded, how to I find out the chip of my device? It would be great if you could make a debug option for 50 kHz in the Japan frequenc range and even 1 kHz (if supported by current chip).
2nd May 2013, 09:34 PM |#6003  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungPisser

Yes there are some services in my country that use frequencies a bit out of the default channel range. Thanks for the hint with direct entering the frequency. What happens if 1 kHz increments are not supported? Is there no receiving at all or is there rounded to the next frequency? I have Galaxy S3 unbranded, how to I find out the chip of my device? It would be great if you could make a debug option for 50 kHz in the Japan frequenc range and even 1 kHz (if supported by current chip).

Frequencies are rounded down if they can't be exactly tuned.

The Silicon Labs Si470x FM chips in Galaxy S class devices are limited to 50 KHz increments.

I recently reduced the Band settings from over 30 countries to the 5 "real bands". I had planned to make the individual hidden settings, such as channel offset, visible and configurable.

I'll consider this next time I'm in that area of code, but yours is the first such request ever / in the last 2 years.

I'd also like to support a wide band from 65 (for some chips) or 76 - 108 MHz. I did at one point for TI FM chips that support this directly, but all the other chips would require software emulation for things like seeks, so I haven't.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
3rd May 2013, 01:34 AM |#6004  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Samsung S7562 Galaxy S Duos
Hi, may I ask if there is a compatibility hint for the variant Samsung S7562 Galaxy S Duos since this dual SIM seems quite appealing in my case. Do we know what kind of FM chip it includes?
3rd May 2013, 01:49 AM |#6005  
Thanks Meter: 158

More
Quote:

I only have stock Xperia P and I've not noticed any problems. It's CPU is not very high power, but it's dual core. I'm pretty sure dual and quad core really help prevent problems. A busy app or 2 may be able to run on different cores.

And, Xperia P is designed for digital audio. On stock, it works well for me.

For the rest, I just have to say I don't know, or I haven't noticed much, or I haven't had many reports.

Hello Mike

Until Ics stock 6.1.1.B.1.10 media buttons previous and next were recognized by Spirit FM.
But I've recently updated Xperia Go to Jelly Bean stock 6.2.A.0.400 and I noticed that on it Spirit FM has a bug that does not recognize the media buttons previous and next present on the headphones or even the widgets which have such a function media next or media previous. Thinking that the problem was the firmware from Sony I have test with other music players and I noticed that they all support properly the media buttons previous and next so I think it goes updated somewhere parts the Spirit Fm to fix this bug which does not support the media buttons previous and next on Jelly Bean.

As always look forward to your answers and hope for a speedy resolution of the bug.
Thank you so much!!!
3rd May 2013, 02:03 AM |#6006  
Flag Guatemala
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Quote:

Post 6000.

Samsung, Motorola and LG all seem to be removing or disabling FM on recent high end / flagship devices.

The ST-Ericsson proposed Android FM API continues to go nowhere after more than 2 years, and ST-Ericsson seems to be imploding.

And the much bally-hooed Sprint deal with US broadcasters to enable FM on 30 million smartphones in the US doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast either.

Someone such as myself, whose only income is from an OTA FM app, has got to wonder if the writing is on the wall.

Even if lower end phones still have FM, logic and experience dictate that high end phone owners are MUCH more likely to buy apps such as Spirit.

I'm pretty sure there's at least 1 year of life left in Spirit. As time goes on, more and more GS1, GS2, GS3 etc. owners will be installing custom ROMs, so there's a long tail effect I think.

But I have to keep my eyes open to what's going on, and consider what other or related app areas I might need to eventually transition to. Audio related makes sense.

At least 1 more year of life means that I'll have good time to get the bugs out of digital audio modes, and there are still many new features to come.

Since I'm not getting a GS4 this year, I'm considering an Xperia Z or HTC One or similar. The former is getting an AOSP, but Sony might abandon that after a year like they did for Xperia S.

HTC One seems to me better and will sell better, despite some issues with bootloader locks and less info from HTC. I see many more threads for HTC One than Xperia Z.

Strange thing though is that I've had very few queries about either phone yet, despite a few sales.

FreeXperia, the "CM variant" for Sony devices, has a working open source FM app; the first and only CM FM app since the GB days. So, I expect few sales on Sony's.

Maybe I won't even get a new phone this year. If I do it will likely be the HTC One, or a similar device, like the lesser M4.

But, if Spirit works reasonably well on the HTC One without me getting one, and/or if demand is low enough, I may not get a One or any phone at all this year.

In a way it will be nice to concentrate on the very popular phones I already have, instead of constantly having to reverse engineer and make fixes for new devices.

+1

I agree, unfortunately the s4 is not what I was hoping for, fm seems to be leaving the phone industry, at least high end, the only thing that gets my attention is sony xperia z or the flagship under the hood that is coming.

Anyway, thanks Mike, for helping me and others have fm support on the galaxy s1,s2 and now s3 on custom rom lik e cm.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
3rd May 2013, 02:03 AM |#6007  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiobuzzer

Hi, may I ask if there is a compatibility hint for the variant Samsung S7562 Galaxy S Duos since this dual SIM seems quite appealing in my case. Do we know what kind of FM chip it includes?

I don't know, and I don't have the resources to support this phone.

It's likely a Broadcom FM/combo chip though, which is fine, especially when rooted.

The tricky part is always enabling FM audio and making it co-operate with other audio.
3rd May 2013, 02:08 AM |#6008  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio89drop

updated Xperia Go to Jelly Bean stock 6.2.A.0.400 and I noticed that on it Spirit FM has a bug that does not recognize the media buttons previous and next present on the headphones or even the widgets which have such a function media next or media previous. Thinking that the problem was the firmware from Sony I have test with other music players and I noticed that they all support properly the media buttons previous and next so I think it goes updated somewhere parts the Spirit Fm to fix this bug which does not support the media buttons previous and next on Jelly Bean.

Thanks for testing. Let's just call it a "mis-understanding" rather than a bug. It seems kind of strange that this issue doesn't happen on other JB ROMs, AFAIK.

I'll try to get the stock JB running on my Xperia P.
3rd May 2013, 02:21 AM |#6009  
Thanks Meter: 158

More
Quote:

Thanks for testing. Let's just call it a "mis-understanding" rather than a bug. It seems kind of strange that this issue doesn't happen on other JB ROMs, AFAIK.

I'll try to get the stock JB running on my Xperia P.

Thanks Mike await your information shortly on the "mis-understanding" is a feature that I use often.

Thank you very much!
4th May 2013, 05:21 AM |#6010  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio89drop

Thanks Mike await your information shortly on the "mis-understanding" is a feature that I use often.

Thank you very much!

I'm unable so far to OTA Update My Xperia P to stock JB: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2981

My stock wired headset only has 1 media button for pause/play. I tried a Samsung GS3 headset and it worked OK. Next and Previous went to volume control for Spirit and Walkman.

I've never been able to over-ride volume on Samsung's and I wonder if I can't over-ride on Sony too.
5th May 2013, 05:37 AM |#6011  

Donate to Me
More
As my updated sig indicates, I badly need time off from Spirit to do the 100 jobs in the "job jar".

I ask you all to help yourselves to all the info in the first 3 posts of this thread, and links to FAQs and trouble-shooting tips and other info.

If it's not in the compatibility list, I can't support it.

If you're having annoying problems with audio, digital features, etc., please just be patient. They've probably proven difficult to fix.

The less email I get right now, the better. I might sign off for a while or add an auto-reply.

Thanks !

------------
Weather is nice; 24 C or 75 F and sunny; this year is a new personal record for earliest grass cut, garden starting and AG pool opening; and yet there was snow in the forest until 10 days ago, LOL.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
spirit fm radio receiver ota

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)