FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Can ChromiumOS Run on this?

287 posts
Thanks Meter: 200

By runnirr, Senior Member on 2nd April 2013, 04:31 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
There are a lot of threads abut Ubuntu and other Linux distros. I was wondering if anyone has tried to port ChromiumOS (or something of the sort) to it.

I did fine this but not sure its helpful.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to runnirr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift runnirr Ad-Free

2nd April 2013, 05:50 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 99

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnirr

There are a lot of threads abut Ubuntu and other Linux distros. I was wondering if anyone has tried to port ChromiumOS (or something of the sort) to it.

I did fine this but not sure its helpful.

Thanks

Possible definitely. I'm not sure what the advantages would be over Android though.
2nd April 2013, 11:42 PM |#3  
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 766

More
Ubuntu adds functionality, ChromeOS doesn't. That's why Ubuntu ports are common, it isn't just another browser that Android already provides.
3rd April 2013, 10:05 AM |#4  
Flag Stafford
Thanks Meter: 18

Donate to Me
More
Chromium OS doesn't have a Virtual Keyboard so it's pointless on a tablet anyway...
3rd April 2013, 02:19 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 618

Donate to Me
More
Re: Can ChromiumOS Run on this?
Chrome and Chromium OS would look and feel cool.

But as others have said limited functionalities such as apps, no v keys, and plus precious coding time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
4th April 2013, 01:45 AM |#6  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 40

More
I know Chrome OS is limited, and although it is, it would be an interesting task to try, but would Chrome OS work on the Touchpad's armel processor? Because I know the Samsung Chromebook's Exynos processor is armhf, and I think Chromium OS does have an armel branch available, I haven't seen any armel based devices being able to run Chrom* OS.

Also recompiling drivers for a limited OS like Chrom* OS would probably be a lot harder than more common OSes. If someone does decide to make a build, it can't be distributed freely as plugins that Google has included are illegal to distribute publicly (like GApps on custom Android roms), so no Flash.
4th May 2013, 11:47 AM |#7  
Flag Manassas
Thanks Meter: 31

More
I have looking for opensuse builds and have not seen any. It would be nice if there was a boot loader like grub for the tp

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)