FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Make your Surface RT faster by disabling Windows Defender!

474 posts
Thanks Meter: 311

Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,
I found out that my Surface lagged alot and Antimalware Service (or something like that) was eating a lot of resources. I went and opened Windows Defender configuration, but there was no disable option like on desktop. Then I started looking from registry and found a way to disable Windows Defender. Here's how:

If you have jailbroken your device, you can download the attached app that does everything for you. Source code can be found here.

If you have win86emu running, you have to right click and select Run as administrator or otherwise win86emu thinks it's a x86 program.

For manual registry editing:
1. Open regedit. Find HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender
2. Take ownership of the key and add write permissions to yourself (Right click Windows Defender key, click Permissions, click Additional settings, click Owner, type your username and accept. Now on the Permissions window click Add, type your username and check Full Access and click OK)
3. Change the value of DisableAntispyware to 1
4. Reboot

Now apps start instantly and no lag is noticeable. I may be imagining but before I did this all apps took forever to start. Please try and share your results. Would someone make a comparsion of app open times before&after?
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisableDefender.zip - [Click for QR Code] (98.1 KB, 4473 views)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jessenic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jessenic Ad-Free

5th May 2013, 11:28 PM |#2  
Flag Cupertino
Thanks Meter: 162

More
Thanks for the tip! It does seem to be a bit more responsive.
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverHedgehog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SilverHedgehog Ad-Free
6th May 2013, 02:08 AM |#3  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Id agree. My Vivo Tab runs a bit quicker now.
The Following User Says Thank You to carguy303 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift carguy303 Ad-Free
6th May 2013, 02:58 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 432

More
switches back to 0 after reboot on mine. It's ok though.
6th May 2013, 05:25 AM |#5  
Flag Redlands, CA
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Dope! I'll do a video comparison hopefully tomorrow, and post it. Thanks much!
The Following User Says Thank You to C-Lang For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift C-Lang Ad-Free
6th May 2013, 08:29 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
After a bit of use to confirm that I wasn't just seeing the placebo effect, this tweak does seems like it grants a SLIGHT smoothness-under-operation bump. If I had to give it a completely unscientific percentage of improvement, I'd say around 10%

About the same kind of improvement you get from disabling the SuperFetch service. Which I highly recommend doing as well.

Good work.
6th May 2013, 10:53 AM |#7  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 548

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Yield

After a bit of use to confirm that I wasn't just seeing the placebo effect, this tweak does seems like it grants a SLIGHT smoothness-under-operation bump. If I had to give it a completely unscientific percentage of improvement, I'd say around 10%

About the same kind of improvement you get from disabling the SuperFetch service. Which I highly recommend doing as well.

Good work.

Any details about how much performance you gain from disabling SuperFetch? Shouldn't it already be disabled on an SSD device, anyway?
6th May 2013, 03:09 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxbot

Any details about how much performance you gain from disabling SuperFetch? Shouldn't it already be disabled on an SSD device, anyway?

Well the function of superfetch is, as far as I've ever understood it, to preload your ram with things the OS thinks you might use. I don't think its disabled on SSDs and its definitely a service that seems to be running on RT. I'll do some digging into just how much good it does us on the surface to disable it - but its always been a slight gain in perceived performance to disable it on low end machines since Win7.
6th May 2013, 06:01 PM |#9  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,921

More
Eh... all the way back on Vista, it was quite the opposite; I got vastly better perf with SuperFetch running even on a fairly low-end machine (2.8GHz single-core P4, 1280MB of RAM + 1GB ReadyBoost SD card, 7200RPM 80GB HDD). I think it largely depends on your RAM+ReadyBoost amount - with too little, yeah it could definitely impact the system performance negatively, although I'd have hoped MS would tune it well enough to avoid that problem. As a general rule, disabling caching to improve performance is like removing your car's turbo to improve performance; yes, the turbo does sap a little power from the engine when you aren't really using it, but most of the time it's a big improvement.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GoodDayToDie Ad-Free
6th May 2013, 09:07 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 548

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Yield

Well the function of superfetch is, as far as I've ever understood it, to preload your ram with things the OS thinks you might use. I don't think its disabled on SSDs and its definitely a service that seems to be running on RT. I'll do some digging into just how much good it does us on the surface to disable it - but its always been a slight gain in perceived performance to disable it on low end machines since Win7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie

Eh... all the way back on Vista, it was quite the opposite; I got vastly better perf with SuperFetch running even on a fairly low-end machine (2.8GHz single-core P4, 1280MB of RAM + 1GB ReadyBoost SD card, 7200RPM 80GB HDD). I think it largely depends on your RAM+ReadyBoost amount - with too little, yeah it could definitely impact the system performance negatively, although I'd have hoped MS would tune it well enough to avoid that problem. As a general rule, disabling caching to improve performance is like removing your car's turbo to improve performance; yes, the turbo does sap a little power from the engine when you aren't really using it, but most of the time it's a big improvement.

I understand what Superfetch is and what the pros/cons of disabling it are, but from what I've read, on 7/8 it's auto disabled for SSDs, and it was for me, so that's a little odd that it's enabled on the Surface. Mileage varies, I suppose.
8th May 2013, 08:49 PM |#11  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 20

More
In Windows 8 both superfetch and defrag are enabled by default and just work dynamically. If you check on surface, defrag is enabled to run on a weekly schedule yet should have never run. I believe same thing with superfetch.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
antispyware, antivirus, fast, surface rt, windows defender

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)