[Root] NookManager - graphical rooter for 1.2.x and beyond

Search This thread

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
Thank you so much for this. Picked up a Nook in the U.K. and have it rooted, running Smart Launcher Pro, Kindle, Drive, Doc's to Go and PDF Reader, modded with Button Saviour, LCD Density and Rotate. Using ES File and Task manager - with the latter have disabled gmail sync.

I understand search doesn't work in market - am I right that this is a system problem in other apps too?

Use 'youten.redo.searchmarket.apk' to look for Apk's in the market

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38323047&postcount=6

Reactions: MikeN68

cowbutt

Feb 11, 2010
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Moto G
Can't get the NookManager to load.
I have tried 2 different cards (2 &8Gb), erased both, dd'ed the image to them, checked that it was a 64Mb fat partition only.
Turned off the nook, (1.2 UK) inserted the cards into the slot, pressed the N, then unlocked it always returns me to the home screen.

What am I doing wrong?

If your Nook wakes when pressing the 'n' button, you haven't turned it off, merely put it to sleep. You need to push and hold the power-button until it turns off. The display will change, and the only way it'll wake is if you push and hold the power button again for 3+ seconds. The Nook will only boot from the SD card from a cold boot like this.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

Are your NST from UK? You have to downgrade to a 1.1.0 via CWM and then update to a 1.2.1. Don't wipe anything through CWM, because it should block your NST.

If you want to install the US 1.2.1, that seems to be the way to go. Alternatively, there's a UK 1.2.1 available from http://uk.nook.com/support/nook-simple-touch-software-updates which differs slightly from the US 1.2.1 and should upgrade a UK 1.2.0 without trouble.

Reactions: JJEgan

apap

Jan 31, 2003
I recently re rooted my nook. For some reason I cannot install apps directly from sdcard (apk). I get the message 'not enough space' but I assume I need to allow unknown sources but don't know how to do that (can't find developers options). Any idea how I can get the nook to install apks?

Thanks!

L_R_N

May 2, 2013
I recently re rooted my nook. For some reason I cannot install apps directly from sdcard (apk). I get the message 'not enough space' but I assume I need to allow unknown sources but don't know how to do that (can't find developers options). Any idea how I can get the nook to install apks?

Thanks!
Try installing via adb (from your own PC). I've had "not enough space" too, was unable to fix it.

Reactions: apap

Xadious

Mar 20, 2012
Once you've got AirDroid on there, it works great for side loading apps, books etc...
How did you get AidDroid to work on the NST? I installed it fine, but being that there's no camera on the NST, i tried signing in by creating an account, but every time i click the login link in AirDroid on the Nook, the screen just flashes and doesn't do anything.

How are you connecting AirDroid on your Nook to AirDroid on your computer?

kuskro

Sep 6, 2009
How did you get AidDroid to work on the NST? I installed it fine, but being that there's no camera on the NST, i tried signing in by creating an account, but every time i click the login link in AirDroid on the Nook, the screen just flashes and doesn't do anything.

How are you connecting AirDroid on your Nook to AirDroid on your computer?

Android2 works on NST v1.1.2 pretty well. Try to get the older version of AirDroid_1.1.0: http://www.airdroid.com/download/

Xadious

Mar 20, 2012
Android2 works on NST v1.1.2 pretty well. Try to get the older version of AirDroid_1.1.0: http://www.airdroid.com/download/
Probably what's causing the issue as i have firmware 1.2.1.

Tried AirDroid 1.1.0, but it doesn't allow sign in only the camera & code modes and the latter isn't available any more.

Guantonio, which firmware version are using? Are you using the sign in method to connect via AirDroid?

HarryCz

Apr 25, 2011
Airdroid 1.1 works fine. You need to use the IP address, though, not web.airdroid.com

I've just rooted my nook, so thanks very much, OP.

I've got one problem, though. When I try to download an app from the Amazon market it tells me the market isn't available in my region. This is despite me living in the UK.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reactions: Xadious

Xadious

Mar 20, 2012
Airdroid 1.1 works fine. You need to use the IP address, though, not web.airdroid.com

I've just rooted my nook, so thanks very much, OP.

I've got one problem, though. When I try to download an app from the Amazon market it tells me the market isn't available in my region. This is despite me living in the UK.

Any help would be much appreciated.
It worked using the IP address (and 1.1), thanks.

oursoul

Apr 11, 2010
Chippenham
gamersx.co.uk
Tried TouchNooter downgrading to 1.1 and all that but didn't really enjoy the feel of the device so had another go with 1.2 and NookManager and really like it, Gapps installed fine and the Market is working just great (no search of course but it works as advertised). Thanks very much for this :)

rfryar

May 27, 2008
Cottage Grove
rick.fryar.org
Launcher

How do you set up this launcher? It always just comes up with a file manager. Is there any way to configure the launcher to do something else? Can this launcher be replaced with others?

Thanks,

Rick

Eserim

Dec 4, 2012
How do you set up this launcher? It always just comes up with a file manager. Is there any way to configure the launcher to do something else? Can this launcher be replaced with others?

Thanks,

Rick
I'm sure it can - I was about to ask, which launchers people have used?

ALso, I have loaded Titanium Backup, it says it need USB debugging on, yet the setting isn't in the "normal" Android place. Any hints to where it is?

Cheers

Eserim

straygecko

Feb 20, 2009
I'm sure it can - I was about to ask, which launchers people have used?

ALso, I have loaded Titanium Backup, it says it need USB debugging on, yet the setting isn't in the "normal" Android place. Any hints to where it is?

Cheers

Eserim
There are a couple of threads on launchers under the Nook Touch Themes & Apps forum (e.g. Launcher 7 is Perfect, Best Launcher for Nook STR?).

NookManager turns USB debugging on but it doesn't flip a database setting that TiBu checks so TiBu throws up that message. But TiBu still works fine despite the message. If you want to get rid of that message you can use Nook Color Tools to flip the database setting.

Eserim

Dec 4, 2012
NookManager turns USB debugging on but it doesn't flip a database setting that TiBu checks so TiBu throws up that message. But TiBu still works fine despite the message. If you want to get rid of that message you can use Nook Color Tools to flip the database setting.

Odd - I just get the overview screen, can't get o the list of apps at all - I don't see the backupup and restore tab at the top.

Eserim

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań

Eserim

Dec 4, 2012
Lunchers?

- Legacy Launcher (pretty cool if you use fastmode)
- Launcher7
- ReLaunch (best for NST without fastmode)

Latest ADW Launcher has problems with color palette, hence my recommendation for Legacy Launcher.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wordpress.chislonchow.legacylauncher&hl=en

https://github.com/chislon/LegacyLauncher

Thanks - just tried Legacy and all looks good - except one thing - pressing the N button, then selecting home doesn't launch Legacy - it asks me if I want the B&N default or ReLauncher. Any ideas what's happened here?

Cheers

Eserim

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
Thanks - just tried Legacy and all looks good - except one thing - pressing the N button, then selecting home doesn't launch Legacy - it asks me if I want the B&N default or ReLauncher. Any ideas what's happened here?

Cheers

Eserim

Strange.
Have you tried installing it as a system app?

- adb shell
- mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
- exit
- adb push ./LegacyLauncher.apk /system/app/

Eserim

Dec 4, 2012
Strange.
Have you tried installing it as a system app?

- adb shell
- mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
- exit
- adb push ./LegacyLauncher.apk /system/app/

Nope - not gone that far (until your post didn't know it was an option) I'm sure it didn't behave like that when I first installed it. I've done a deinstal and reinsall, plus tried a few other launchers, none show up as an option for the Nook "home"

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a graphical, interactive rooting system with the ability to create/restore backups and factory settings.

This has been tested on systems 1.1.5, 1.2.0 (US/UK), and 1.2.1. It will probably work on earlier versions and should be safe to use on future versions. For best results, however, you should be on 1.2.1 before using this tool.

If you've tried rooting your nook unsuccessfully with another utility, it's best to do a factory restore (from NookManager, choose the "Rescue" option and then "Restore factory.zip") and, if your nook came with older firmware, upgrade to the latest 1.2.1 firmware.

Features:
    • Root your Nook
    • Backup/Restore
    • Restore to factory settings
    • Disable B&N Apps
    • Custom plugins

How to root:

1. Download NookManager.

2. Unzip the file you downloaded and write the NookManager.img file to an empty SD card. On Windows, you can use disk imager. Linux and mac users can use dd.
    Use a real SD card adapter when writing the image, DO NOT USE YOUR NOOK AS THE SDCARD ADAPTER.

If possible, you should use a dedicated SD card for the NookManager image (so you can easily restore from a backup should you ever screw up your Nook). A 512Mb card is big enough for the NookManager image plus a backup of your Nook.​

3. Power off your Nook, insert the SD card and power on.
    You should see the NookManager boot screen followed within 15 seconds by the welcome screen.​

4. Choose "No, continue without wireless"
    the wireless option is for advanced users looking to connect directly to their device​

5. Make a backup using NookManager! Choose "Rescue" then "Backup" then "Format remaining space on SD card" and finally "Create backup"
    Because NookManager cleans the empty space on the Nooks' internal partitions and compresses the backup, it will take at least 15 minutes (and up to 45 minutes) for the backup to complete. Be patient. The final backup file can be as small as only be a few hundred megabytes, depending on the number of downloaded or sideloaded books you have.​

6. Copy the backup image to your computer. Connect your Nook to your computer using the USB cable. Copy the 'backup.full.tgz' and 'backup.full.md5' files from the NookBackup drive to your computer.
    This is your backup in case anything happens to your SD card. This backup is tied to your individual Nook so keep it safe. It's important to copy this file while your Nook is still booted from the SD card because Windows will normally hide the NookBackup partition on the SD card. If you ever need access to the NookBackup partition again, just boot your Nook using the NookManager SD card and connect the Nook to your computer with the USB cable.​

7. Root! After your backup, press "Back" and "Back" to return to the Main Menu. Press "Root" and then "Root my device"

8. That's it! After rooting, pres "Back" and then "Exit". Remove the SD card and put it someplace safe, in case you need to restore to your backup later.

After rooting, you can install Google Apps using straygecko's excellent NTGAppsAttack package if you want to use Google Market/Gmail/Calendar/etc.
    [/LIST]

Technical stuff:

The actual rooting function is minimal and as non-invasive as possible:
    • uRamdisk is patched to enable ADB
    • the internal database setting is changed to allow installation of non-market apps
    • the DroidSansFallback font is replaced with the updated font from jellybean to add support for extended characters
    • the su/Superuser binary/package is installed
    • Relaunch is installed
    • ADB Konnect is installed for enabling/disabling ADB over wireless
    • on systems running firmware 1.2+, the ModManager jars and package are installed
    • on 1.2+ systems, the PackageInstaller.apk from the 1.1.2 firmware is installed to resolve issues with package installers
    • and, finally, the Amazon appstore is installed just to have some easy way of downloading new apps. You can uninstall it using ReLaunch if you don't use it.

The uRamdisk patching is done with scripts rather than copying pre-compiled binaries, so this should be safe for all existing versions of the Nook firmware and (hopefully) will be forward compatible with any new releases.

The rooting procedure is non-destructive and can be run multiple times without causing problems.

Under the hood, this is a minimal linux environment with the nook drivers/binaries and a few core android binaries. The display is generated with imagemagick and written directly to the framebuffer.

If you're connecting to NookManager wirelessly over SSH, the username/password is root/root

Wherever possible, the parts of this system are compiled from source including the Linux kernel, uBoot, and all of the buildroot utilities. The hardware drivers and associated binaries are extracted from the 1.2.0 upgrade package.

The source for the project, including an automated buildscript is available at GitHub.

Support for custom menu items and scripts is documented here.
    NTGAppsAttack - Google Apps Installer for NookManager

I just posted an addon for NookManager to install Google Apps. The thread is http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2086582 Hope you find it helpful.
    How long does it take to backup using NookManager?

I've selected it to backup (after rooting & restarting), but it's still on the "creating backup image" screen after 15 minutes.

Edit: Guess it's 18 minutes as it just finished.
    The only thing I miss besides gapps (it looks like we have a solution now) are the norefresh and multitouch from the older rooters. These are nice for pdf reading. Is there any alternative for smooth pdf reading or might these mods be upgraded?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Norefresh, FastMode and Multitouch works fine after you upload 'v166' kernel via CWR.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1906507
    straygecko, would it be possible for you to post a fix we could install over ADB? I apologize if you already have, I looked through the posts and I've not seen it.
    Sorry, I got busy with other things and forgot. Attached is the services.jar file with the fix for connecting to the wifi in a Barnes and Noble store. Use ADB or a root explorer like ES File Explorer to put this file in /system/framework. As always, its best to make a backup of your NST first or at least rename the current services.jar on your NST before installing so you can put it back with ADB if you have any problems.