PS2 Emulator for Android

Search This thread

toka1232010

Jun 22, 2012
1. Would you pay $4.29 for a good PS2 emulator (google play wants 30% :( )?
2. Are you ok converting games from ntsc to pal, a link to an easy piece of software that will do it?
3. Would you download roms on your computer or phone directly?
4. Would you be open to donations, after it is released for possible future epic emulation (depending on how this does 100,000 downloads or more)?
In case you were wondering, I was think the next one would be a windows or gamecube.
5. What kind of phone(s) do you own? What do you think most android users own? What version of android does it have?
6. Do you pirate apps? What kinds of apps? How much are they on the store? (not necessary, but helpful to the development.)
YOU DON'T NEED TO ANSWER THEM ALL, ANY ANSWERS AT ALL ARE APPRECIATED

1. I would pay even more if I could (My country is not in Google support list). I hope there will be free licence (eg. no sound emulation, limited options, ads)
2. Of course, I'd personally do everything it takes to run a game.
3. I prefere downloading on PC. But both are very comfortable.
4. Donation would be the only way to show you my respect :D As i said, I won't be able to purchase it from google store.
5. I have GS3, JB 4.1.2. I think most people who are interested in emulators have high end devices. (tegra3/4, snapdragon Sseries or higher).
6. I sure do unfortunately. Pirating is the only way I can get payed apps. I can only purchase legally from Gameloft store and some apps from amazon appstore. I hope I'll manage to buy your emulator somehow.

You'd make me and other thousands of people very happy if you get your emulator working properly.
Good luck!
:angel:

Reactions: Octa-core

boss1019

Jan 26, 2013
Chicago
Thanks to all the people who answered; This is very helpful to our team.

I want to thank everyone who replied to my questions so far. Your answers especially the ones from toka1232010 will be extremely helpful in our development. I encourage you guys to continue answering the questions, and possibly additional ones I might add. By the way someone mentioned that we should use all 4 cores of the quads. To reply to that, we were already planning to. The person who is in charge of optimization found out that pcsx2 uses no more than two cores. Ours will use 3 on the quads, unless the 4th one is needed (drops below a certain fps.). The dual cores, like the qualcomm in the one xl and the exynos 5250 are going to be difficult, but we will definitely try. toka1232010, I will try to find a way to get this to people in countries that don't have the play store. I think I might publish on the amazon appstore also, but that will take a bit longer:(.
I'm glad that you think my assumption on what phones people use to emulate is correct.
Again, Thanks to all.

Octa-core

May 6, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S 4 Octa-core

Pretty sure you won't even buy the games and just pirate the ROMs from the internet if it does come out.

Anyways Android phones aren't at that point yet, wait for an Octa-core smartphone I guess. (We could probably do it with the Asus Padphone 2 but we want enjoyable gameplay won't we?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Samsung Galaxy S 4 with Exynos Octa-core

Octa-core

May 6, 2013
Okay cool, get started and tell me when you're done with the emulator.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Whoa hold on there jack I didn't say **** working on a PS2 emulator, I am just pointing out that we have a device that can cool down while running programs that eat allot of power.

Besides I don't know crap about programing so your **** out of luck.

boss1019

Jan 26, 2013
Chicago
any quad or higher will do

If you have a phone with a quad core processor , it shoul work fine with our emulator when it comes out at the end of the summer. If you have a strong dual core like the nexus 10, you might be able to run it, but no promises.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

If you look higer on the page you'll see an awesome person who answered the questions and answers from others is useful. The original questions are on page 18.
Thanks to the people who answer.

mrjaredbeta

Apr 5, 2012
I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, I'm just saying that they are a lot of fakers out there that try to get your hopes up for nothing. I'm not accusing him of being a faker at all, I just think that he would put up at least SOMETHING that shows that it is actually real and functional, you know what I'm saying?

Reactions: tavocabe

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah
I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, I'm just saying that they are a lot of fakers out there that try to get your hopes up for nothing. I'm not accusing him of being a faker at all, I just think that he would put up at least SOMETHING that shows that it is actually real and functional, you know what I'm saying?

+1.

It seems like most of the people cheering on have no technical background or think "phones are faster now, so it must be possible." Phones are still a long way from being able to replace let alone replicate the capabilites and power of conventional computer systems. It's not all "gigahertz and RAM."

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjaredbeta

bbrad

Sep 22, 2012
Lucedale
Yeah

+1.

It seems like most of the people cheering on have no technical background or think "phones are faster now, so it must be possible." Phones are still a long way from being able to replace let alone replicate the capabilites and power of conventional computer systems. It's not all "gigahertz and RAM."

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

I just thought it was rude he was calling him a faker I mean it could be but if somebody really is doing something for us its a little rude. I most certainly am from a "tecky" background I know this emu later would struggle to run on a 8 core android because the agriculture it completely different but that still doesn't mean its not possible that some dev with the right knowledge couldn't get one running that is smooth enough for atleast a little play.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

boss1019

Jan 26, 2013
Chicago
Seriously?!

Where is the proof of this new "emulator?" I'm calling fake until I see proof of it.
First of all, really, you think I would just go on one of the many threads on xda, then why would I
A. Announce an emulator with specifics such as pricing and support
B. Write paragraph long responses to people who ask questions about the emulator
C. Ask questions specifically to know what kind of things people want in the emulator
D. Thank the people for their answers.
E. Give updates on the overall process of what we have done
F. All of the above seems like quite the waste of time for someone who could easily make a fake app.
I as someone who IS making an actual emulator offended by this:(. If you want proof your going to have to wait a while, because all we have is a bios file compatible with arm a9,soon to be compatible with the other arm v7 architectures or to demonstrate my actual knowledge on this topic (which I don't thing is enough for sceptics). I don't think it would be proof enough if a month later, I gave you a piece of software which runs ps2 games, but has no GUI, and if in July I put up the app with a gui, I wouldn't feel right giving you an unoptimized app. Honestly, I was looking for a project to occupy/challenge (also could use a little cash) myself, and I realized I needed a few people to do things. Finally, while you might not trust this statement, wouldn't be a fraud and put fake emulator up. It is an evil thing to do, and would be a boring and unchallenging thing to do. I am mostly making this emulator to see if it is possible, which the way things are look it is with newer phones, though I would recommend for the best FPS rates, you should have a quad core processor that IS NOT a tegra 3, a rooted phone, and you should have the userspace governor selected. The first is the most important, but a tegra 3 would work, but the nice thing about userspace is I as the developer can program the app to control how the CPU behaves, but you sadly need a rooted phone to do that. YOU don't neccessarily need a rooted phone, and it should work fine without it, but it is a nice thing to have. You're might wondering why I am confident in this working when it seems like a lot of people who actually know what they're doing are confident this won't work. The first thing you should realize is that the main emulator people use for PS2 emulation, PCSX2 uses at max 2 cores unless you enable a very specific tweak. So for example the amd a8's(which they put in the reasonably playable, but not full speed category along with i5's and i7's core 2 quads, etc) geekbench at about 3000-4000, but since 2 cores aren't being used it would be like running it with a 1500-2000 pts geekbench which all the quad ARM hit or exceed. Even some quad i5's only get in the 4000, which would really be 2000. The tri core only works if you put an extra tweak on the emulator. Next, like most emulators PCSX2 has tweaks to help make your games run faster. On my computer, I was able to significantly speed up games frame rate with those more than overclocking my Graphics Card (it is a bit old and kind of slow) from 485mhz to 600mhz; I might have even put it to 725mhz. I think the only issue will be the graphics cards in the mobile processors, but the newer proccessors should be able to hand this. Honestly though whether or not, you think I'm a fraud and whether or not you think it will actually work is up to you, but all I can do is assure you that the development of this emulator is 100% genuine.

nikos5800

Nov 30, 2010
so the minimum requirement will be a dual core CPU like tegra 2 and snapdragon s3?
and your team are going to write arm jit(dynarec) for speed boost?
thanks

boss1019

Jan 26, 2013
Chicago
Since there seems to be a disconnect, here's a list of cpus that should work

This is a formal list of cpus that will work and won't. You preferably want a quad core, and I'll explain after the list. BTW don't expect 50-60fps speeds all the time.
Best Cpus (some of these are not out yet)
Tegra 4 (might even work perfectly)
Qualcomm 600 and 800 (the 800 could also do pretty well)
Exynos 5410 (the octa core one)
Great Cpus (will run, but not as well as the tegra 4, 600, etc)
Qualcomm Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064 (the 4 core one in the nexus 4)
Exynos 4412 (s3 international and note 2)
Good Cpus (quad core helps but the overall cpu power is kinda weak)
Tegra 3's
Decent Cpus (they have a good amount of power, but they are dual core so I'm not making promises)
Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 MSM8960 (in the s3 lte and one xl)
Exynos 5250 (in the nexus 10).

How it will work: Basically the ps2 has 4 major chips. The first one is the Emotion Engine, which is most comparable to a main cpu. It also has a gpu equivalent called the Graphic Synthesiser, and to Vector Units, which help the other two chips. The basic idea is that we will have the first core, call it core 0, emulate the EE, and be only devoted to that. The next two cores, call them cores 1 and 2, will emulate the two VU's, call them VU's 0 and 1. The gpu of the mobile chip will be devoted to the GS, and the last core of the CPU, core 3 will be used to help the other cores, and to emulate other chips kind of like as if it were a personal assistant to the other cores. It will also be used if the emulator drops below say 30 fps. The dual core processors would have trouble with half the cores to be used. Also the chips I said would work the best are actually as powerful as some of the processors the PCSX2 team says will work the best such as some of the i5's, the amd a8's even the quads. The greats will run as fast as the actual amount of the quad core chips that are used as the emulator, because as I mentioned before the chips that have 4 cores will only use 2 on pcsx2, unless a specific tweak is selected to make it use 3. All I'm saying is don't expect a qualcomm s3 pro or a tegra 2 to run it, because it will be obnoxiously slow. Also make sure your phone has at least 1gb of ram, but 2 is way better. The only thing I personally am concerned about is the gpu, but you guys don't have to worry about that.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

To the guy asking about speed boosts. We will probably use ARM versions of the PCSX2 tweaks to help the FPS and maybe add some of our own.

bbrad

Sep 22, 2012
Lucedale
This is a formal list of cpus that will work and won't. You preferably want a quad core, and I'll explain after the list. BTW don't expect 50-60fps speeds all the time.
Best Cpus (some of these are not out yet)
Tegra 4 (might even work perfectly)
Qualcomm 600 and 800 (the 800 could also do pretty well)
Exynos 5410 (the octa core one)
Great Cpus (will run, but not as well as the tegra 4, 600, etc)
Qualcomm Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064 (the 4 core one in the nexus 4)
Exynos 4412 (s3 international and note 2)
Good Cpus (quad core helps but the overall cpu power is kinda weak)
Tegra 3's
Decent Cpus (they have a good amount of power, but they are dual core so I'm not making promises)
Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 MSM8960 (in the s3 lte and one xl)
Exynos 5250 (in the nexus 10).

How it will work: Basically the ps2 has 4 major chips. The first one is the Emotion Engine, which is most comparable to a main cpu. It also has a gpu equivalent called the Graphic Synthesiser, and to Vector Units, which help the other two chips. The basic idea is that we will have the first core, call it core 0, emulate the EE, and be only devoted to that. The next two cores, call them cores 1 and 2, will emulate the two VU's, call them VU's 0 and 1. The gpu of the mobile chip will be devoted to the GS, and the last core of the CPU, core 3 will be used to help the other cores, and to emulate other chips kind of like as if it were a personal assistant to the other cores. It will also be used if the emulator drops below say 30 fps. The dual core processors would have trouble with half the cores to be used. Also the chips I said would work the best are actually as powerful as some of the processors the PCSX2 team says will work the best such as some of the i5's, the amd a8's even the quads. The greats will run as fast as the actual amount of the quad core chips that are used as the emulator, because as I mentioned before the chips that have 4 cores will only use 2 on pcsx2, unless a specific tweak is selected to make it use 3. All I'm saying is don't expect a qualcomm s3 pro or a tegra 2 to run it, because it will be obnoxiously slow. Also make sure your phone has at least 1gb of ram, but 2 is way better. The only thing I personally am concerned about is the gpu, but you guys don't have to worry about that.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

To the guy asking about speed boosts. We will probably use ARM versions of the PCSX2 tweaks to help the FPS and maybe add some of our own.

I'm so playing this in a single core

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There isn't and wont be one on current hardware. Wait at least a year or 2 and you'll be there.
    The whole discussion is entertaining. So many people have no idea what they're talking about and to make things even worse there are people that belive them blindly.

1. PS2's architecture is the issue in emulating it, not it's raw power (PSP had slightly faster cores yet PPSSPP can handle it nearly perfectly with no hassle). PS2 has a kind of architecture and computing philosphy that is very far away from standard/consumer PCs. So in order to emulate it you have to do many complex things that multiply again and again, one on top of the other the minimum requirements of the device you're about to emulate it.

2. PS2 and PCSX2's code needs RAW performance and a relatively good video card not much RAM (256-512MB of RAM are more than enough). The way that PS2 works and the way that PCSX2 code tries to emulate it (and obviously is the most acurate and correct way to do it) you need a processor which can pack as much RAW power on a SINGLE core as possible. PS2's architecture DOES NOT allow multiple CPUs and there is absolutely no way around it. You can lay off some work on other cores but that's nothing that has to do with core emulation of PS2 and nothing that would give alot (or any) extra speed on emulation. So you need more Hz in ONE core and the minimum requirements of PCSX2 state some frequencies on a single core that are so far from what we see today on mobile devices that even talking about it is a joke.

3. So with what I said above you understand that the way the mobile computing industry goes (so this includes Android too), every day that passes and with every new CPU that comes out like Exynos Octa Core etc, we get a step more far from an ideal CPU that could handle PS2 emulation instead of getting more near. PS2 does NOT really like multiple cores and does NOT really care about multithreading, actually the opposite, it can be proven a bottlenecking factor to it in alot/most of cases. This is because the industry right now tries to give saperate work on smaller cores and multiply those small cores to archieve simmilar frequencies (if you put them all together) with a previous gen CPU. So they trade off RAW power of a single core for more cores. That may work well on Android for example but it KILLS PS2 emulation, it's simply the worst thing that could happen to it.

4. Mobile GPUs are sooooo weak. And when I say soooo weak, I mean SOOOOOOOO weak. (lol) Even the least ideal GPUs for PCSX2 like Intel HD 3000 or Intel HD 4000 (I'm talking about integreated graphics here since they are the same thing mobile chipsets have) are LIGHT YEARS ahead and really much more powerful than anything that not only is out on the mobile computing market right now, but sure for atleast ~3 years from now. So to say it better, your phone's GPU and you future's phone GPU is/will be crappier that the crappiest GPU that PCSX2 needs to emulate PS2.

So now everyone's free to go on and try to say that what I say it's not true. Go on and discuss the same things I said above on PCSX2's official forum with the (over a decade) working and active devs of the emulator, you'll get exactly the same points I listed above.
    Omg just imagine San Andreas on ur handheld omg :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
    Thanks to all the people who answered; This is very helpful to our team.

I want to thank everyone who replied to my questions so far. Your answers especially the ones from toka1232010 will be extremely helpful in our development. I encourage you guys to continue answering the questions, and possibly additional ones I might add. By the way someone mentioned that we should use all 4 cores of the quads. To reply to that, we were already planning to. The person who is in charge of optimization found out that pcsx2 uses no more than two cores. Ours will use 3 on the quads, unless the 4th one is needed (drops below a certain fps.). The dual cores, like the qualcomm in the one xl and the exynos 5250 are going to be difficult, but we will definitely try. toka1232010, I will try to find a way to get this to people in countries that don't have the play store. I think I might publish on the amazon appstore also, but that will take a bit longer:(.
    I'm glad that you think my assumption on what phones people use to emulate is correct.
    Again, Thanks to all.
    He could just be playing copies of games he owns or owned and lost/broke over time. Why don't you go buy a ps2 and ignore this thread.