FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
OnePlus 6 On Sale

Galaxy Note 8 Battery Life

258 posts
Thanks Meter: 173

Post Reply Email Thread
After 2 weeks of using the 3G version of the Note 8 (GT-N5100), I could say a full battery charge gives me at least 7 hours of actual screen time for a 16-hour stretch for the day, using it for light to medium apps and social network sites. I also do drawing using Adobe Photoshop Touch, Autodesk Sketchbook Ink and Sketchbook Pro.

This is my first tablet as I think its compact size and weight is more ideal than the heavier Note 10.1. I simply love digital drawing with the Note 8. I'm coming from a Note II and the bigger screen just gives me more area for line strokes.

7 hours of actual screen time isn't a wow for me as I do my torrent downloads with my Note II with also the same screen time and be able to change to a fresh battery usually in 12 hours. I just find plugging in the Note 8 in the late afternoon to be confident that it really doesn't die on me for an evening in a cafe.

Some 80% of the charge goes to maintaning the TFT screen! Is this normal for TFT screens to guzzle up that much power? I set my brightness to 30% and even set it to power saving mode. Still the screen is the main battery drainer.

Anyway, I set up this thread in the hopes that people can share how to best optimize the battery with proven sound practices.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using XDA Premium HD app

12th May 2013, 12:28 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 468

More
Screens are always the main power drain on these type of devices...even your Note II.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2
12th May 2013, 02:46 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I have N5100 too. But I just have 5h onscreen and 20h stanby. Wifi and 3G allway on. Set auto brighness. Do you think my battery have problem???
12th May 2013, 02:47 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 173

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExploreMN

Screens are always the main power drain on these type of devices...even your Note II.

My Note II only takes roughly 30% of battery charge usage. I'm guessing AMOLED is just more efficient than TFT screen.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using XDA Premium HD app
12th May 2013, 04:06 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
What I noticed... the time shown in battery statistics seems to be wrong.

I was also getting approx. 5 hours on battery according to battery statistics. But this felt wrong for me. So I fully charged my Note 8 -> Usage statistic showed 0 hours. Then I was playing and reading for 2 hours (display always on, no reboots). But statistics where showing something around 1 hour and a few minutes. So don't trust your device.
The Following User Says Thank You to ranzassel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ranzassel Ad-Free
12th May 2013, 11:50 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 468

More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzassel

So don't trust your device.

Also, don't turn your back on them. They are out to kill us.
The Following User Says Thank You to ExploreMN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ExploreMN Ad-Free
13th May 2013, 03:31 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExploreMN

Also, don't turn your back on them. They are out to kill us.

That got a big laugh out of me!
The Following User Says Thank You to pluginalong For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pluginalong Ad-Free
13th May 2013, 11:28 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 211

More
I got my note 8 about two days ago and the battery life was truly horrible but after a couple of charging cycles it seems to be getting better now I get about five to six hours of screen on time

The Following User Says Thank You to janjannsen99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift janjannsen99 Ad-Free
14th May 2013, 06:32 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 243

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjannsen99

I got my note 8 about two days ago and the battery life was truly horrible but after a couple of charging cycles it seems to be getting better now I get about five to six hours of screen on time

Screen on time tells only part of the story. Its what you're doing with the screen that matters. Browsing and videos will drain the battery faster than reading a book.
15th May 2013, 12:35 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 211

More
Thanks?

The Following User Says Thank You to janjannsen99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift janjannsen99 Ad-Free
15th May 2013, 12:41 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1,399

More
It also depends on what apps have sync/auto update features turned on. I used my Note 8 on Mothers day to watch movies and I was able to watch 3 full movies and still had 30% left. Beanstown will be posting a rom soon and battery life we only improve.
The Following User Says Thank You to TechBSwift For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TechBSwift Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)