Remove All Ads from XDA

Galaxy Note 8 Battery Life

258 posts
Thanks Meter: 173

Post Reply Email Thread
15th May 2013, 12:41 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1,399

More
It also depends on what apps have sync/auto update features turned on. I used my Note 8 on Mothers day to watch movies and I was able to watch 3 full movies and still had 30% left. Beanstown will be posting a rom soon and battery life we only improve.
The Following User Says Thank You to TechBSwift For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TechBSwift Ad-Free

16th May 2013, 01:12 AM |#12  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by duyminhphan

I have N5100 too. But I just have 5h onscreen and 20h stanby. Wifi and 3G allway on. Set auto brighness. Do you think my battery have problem???

That's normal. I sometimes get 6 hours+ screen on, other times with 7 hours screen on time. I have yetto serif this baby can make it over 9 hours screenon. I'm trying out Greenify app as it hibernates apps from wake-ups to sync. I'll let everyone how it's working out in a few days.

Still, the majority of the power would still go to the screen. Having a dark theme wouldn't help as the ambient lighting would still take the same amount of power. It's there a way to turn off half the LED lights? I really wished the screen is really Super AMOLED for energy efficiency.

I still find the Note 8 handy as a sketching device.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using XDA Premium HD app
19th May 2013, 04:17 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 243

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjannsen99

Thanks?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2

Point being that if you get 6 hours of screen time and I get 9 hours of screen time, doesn't mean that my battery life is better than yours. I was at 8 hours screen time at 25% battery last night, but I'm not going to say that this is average for me. Depending on my specific usage, I can get anywhere from 6 to 10 hours of screen time. This is why user reported battery life must be taken with a huge grain of salt.
The Following User Says Thank You to sputnik767 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sputnik767 Ad-Free
28th May 2013, 10:49 PM |#14  
OP Senior Member

More
I dozed off and forgot to charge my Note 8 last night. My stats below show a 24-hour unplugged use with phone, wifi and bluetooth on. I had used my Note 8 with 4 hours of screen on time with just Chrome browsing, a few minutes of S Note, and 5 22-minute tv episodes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1369776480849.jpg
Views:	2177
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1999248

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1369776506140.jpg
Views:	2056
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1999249

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1369776536945.jpg
Views:	1888
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1999252

I still had 35% of battery left. I use Greenify to have my wakeups off when screen is off. It also hibernates apps if you don't activate them, like my Facebook doesn't update unless I check.

The screen still is the highest consumer of battery reserves at nearing 80%. I usually have auto brightness or keep it at 30% bright. Is there a way to reduce the power consumption further other than tune the brightness down?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using XDA Premium HD app
29th May 2013, 05:45 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 213

More
Also, take a look at Civato's kernel in the dev forum. To install it you need to first install Clockwork (I used Odin for that), then boot into your new custom recovery and flash the zip file.

The kernel supports underclocking (down to 100 mhz at cpu idle) and undervolting as well as a ~20% overclock and some other very nice features.

It's been stable for me using a 75 mvolt underclock, and I use some governor tweaks to avoid spinning the CPUs too hard when they're working on "nice" processes.

My battery life is often in the 9-10 hour range.
29th May 2013, 09:22 PM |#16  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roustabout

Also, take a look at Civato's kernel in the dev forum. To install it you need to first install Clockwork (I used Odin for that), then boot into your new custom recovery and flash the zip file.

The kernel supports underclocking (down to 100 mhz at cpu idle) and undervolting as well as a ~20% overclock and some other very nice features.

It's been stable for me using a 75 mvolt underclock, and I use some governor tweaks to avoid spinning the CPUs too hard when they're working on "nice" processes.

My battery life is often in the 9-10 hour range.

I have One Power Guard to lower the CPU with its governor tweaks.

Is it 9-10 hour range of screen on time or just the device use per charge?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium HD app
29th May 2013, 10:33 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 213

More
9-10 screen on. And my impression this weekend was that if I leave wifi off, longer than that.

Most of my use is evening, so minimal screen brightness. And probably 70% reading, rather than primarily videos.
31st May 2013, 11:44 PM |#18  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roustabout

9-10 screen on. And my impression this weekend was that if I leave wifi off, longer than that.

Most of my use is evening, so minimal screen brightness. And probably 70% reading, rather than primarily videos.

Good. I carry my Note 8 as a secondary device with my Note II as my primary device for communications and downloading torrents on the go. When I do need a bigger screen, I transfer media via wifi-direct. The 8 pretty much is my drawing tablet and productive tool for thinking through sketching architectural ideas. I still switch to paper for permanent recording on my sketchbooks.

8 hours isn't that good for me. I wish the screen consumption shouldn't reach to 80%.

rooted stock Galaxy Note 8 GT-N5100
1st June 2013, 11:05 AM |#19  
Flag Hertfordshire (Herts)
Thanks Meter: 67

More
I've found the battery life to be much better than anticipated. but since i've mostly been using away from home, I've had all the connections turned off and when I am at home I have auto airoplane mode activated that turns off the connections when the screen is turned off.

I also have been using the power saving mode at all times other than when playing graphics intensive games as I have no need for intensive CPU usage when browsing, drawing or taking notes etc...

Im hoping that when I root and add some custom profiles my batterylife will improve further.
5th June 2013, 01:07 PM |#20  
OP Senior Member

More
I had the time to test out the Note 8's battery life on a continuous usage with mainly browsing, note and sketching with the S Note for 3 hours, about an hour's with of video watching, wifi and bluetooth connected. I've had 7 hours of actual screen on over an 8 hour period, from 8 am to 4 pm with 5% of battery left. I didn't want to fully drain it to avoid ruining the battery charging capability.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1370432455916.jpg
Views:	1307
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	2018838

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1370432517634.jpg
Views:	1302
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	2018841

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1370432607676.jpg
Views:	1184
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	2018844

I had the screen at only 20% brightness with phone function on. The battery could be easily be drained in about 4 hours if with a brighter screen and heavier processor based tasks like games. The screen still ate away 80% of the battery charge despite being toned down to a 20% screen brightness.

rooted stock Galaxy Note 8 GT-N5100
21st August 2013, 11:59 AM |#21  
OP Senior Member

More
I noticed my battery charging funny. Power level dropped from 60% to 40% in a second, and charge goes 100% when it reaches 92%. Lithium ion has some charging memory issues unlike it was thought before.

I had a friend who told me he ruined his battery's ability to hold a charge from the constant charging at work and at home, even with the indicator saying it's fully charged.

And so, I've started strictly implementing plug charging at 20% and pulling out the plug at 80% charged, 3 weeks ago for this 4-month old Note 8.

Have a watch here why this is a better way to manage your charges so you get more life with your device:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOi1...e_gdata_player

AndroidGuy explains the whys.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium HD app
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheNeighbor101 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheNeighbor101 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)