Thanks Meter: 517

By GabrialDestruir, Senior Member on 12th November 2011, 08:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th May 2013, 10:40 PM |#391  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by apap

Thanks for this Taninos. If I want to follow your advice where can I get the old 1.1.2 update (instead of the 1.2.1 which is downloadable from B&N website)?

Sorry for delaying in respond. The B&N official link for 1.1.2 is: http://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/nook2/1.1.2/byoyFa4tPqT3du0nSXTLrBeYy5CHbHS264o9Ujsh/nook_1_1_2_update.zip

If you use the new wifi implementations developed by kuskro, your TouchNooter will be near to become a 1.2.1.
The Following User Says Thank You to taninos For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift taninos Ad-Free

15th May 2013, 02:38 PM |#392  
Thanks Meter: 103

More
So... I've just bust my new nook simple touch on what turns out to be a "deprecated" thread with no backup because the FP doesn't say how to make a backup.

Would someone with power please update the first post to advise that the thread is deprecated and not good to follow.

Meanwhile I'll be looking for ways to fix this.

I tried method 3 here: http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch_restore_to_stock
but I still never get past the "Your NOOK is starting up..." screen
15th May 2013, 03:38 PM |#393  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samjam

So... I've just bust my new nook simple touch on what turns out to be a "deprecated" thread with no backup because the FP doesn't say how to make a backup.

Would someone with power please update the first post to advise that the thread is deprecated and not good to follow.

Meanwhile I'll be looking for ways to fix this.

I tried method 3 here: http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch_restore_to_stock
but I still never get past the "Your NOOK is starting up..." screen

Method 2 from http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch_restore_to_stock worked.

it helped to have the NST plugged into a windows PC so that I could tell from the USB connected bading bading sounds what was going on
The Following User Says Thank You to samjam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift samjam Ad-Free
16th May 2013, 09:44 AM |#394  
Thanks Meter: 317

More
Quote:

Method 2 from http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch_restore_to_stock worked.

it helped to have the NST plugged into a windows PC so that I could tell from the USB connected bading bading sounds what was going on

Since you already have your NST running again, you can make a backup easily with noogie, follow this thread: Backup/Restore N2E.

On the other hand, this thread was deprecated because the main developer was working in other projects, but TouchNooter 2.1.31 is the best options for those who use Norefresh instead of Fastmode. This rom flies because it consumes less resources and less battery drain. And, if you apply the wifi implementations, you will have a rom pretty similar than a 1.2.1. Also, with this rom you can have a least 130mb of free ram what let you work with so big PDFs files.

Inside of this thread (click on here) you can find some tweaks that help to have the TouchNooter in awesome conditions.

Best.
The Following User Says Thank You to kuskro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kuskro Ad-Free
16th May 2013, 12:04 PM |#395  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuskro

Since you already have your NST running again, you can make a backup easily with noogie, follow this thread: Backup/Restore N2E.

On the other hand, this thread was deprecated because the main developer was working in other projects, but TouchNooter 2.1.31 is the best options for those who use Norefresh instead of Fastmode. This rom flies because it consumes less resources and less battery drain. And, if you apply the wifi implementations, you will have a rom pretty similar than a 1.2.1. Also, with this rom you can have a least 130mb of free ram what let you work with so big PDFs files.

Inside of this thread (click on here) you can find some tweaks that help to have the TouchNooter in awesome conditions.

Best.

Thanks for those links. I wish the OP said in big letters: STOP, DON'T DO IT IF YOU HAVE 1.2 NOOK

I shall have to look at the difference between norefresh and fastmode to see which I would prefer.
16th May 2013, 02:23 PM |#396  

More
Quote:

Thanks for those links. I wish the OP said in big letters: STOP, DON'T DO IT IF YOU HAVE 1.2 NOOK

I shall have to look at the difference between norefresh and fastmode to see which I would prefer.

Fully agree.

Albeit, I guess the developer thought that with a thread titled as: [N2E][1.1] TouchNooter 2.1.31, it should be enough.

I've left this instructions for those who need help to downgrade from a 1.2.x to a 1.1.2 their NST and install TouchNooter 2.1.31. Also, I've included some good tweaks to optimize your NST.
The Following User Says Thank You to kuskro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kuskro Ad-Free
16th May 2013, 03:54 PM |#397  

More
[N2E][1.1] has only particular meaning to me BECAUSE of my troubles.

I didn't even know I had 1.2 or that I should check. Ah well. And your downgrade notes are appreciated
17th May 2013, 12:30 PM |#398  

More
Quote:

[N2E][1.1] has only particular meaning to me BECAUSE of my troubles.

I didn't even know I had 1.2 or that I should check. Ah well. And your downgrade notes are appreciated

If you accept an advice, whether you need an optimized performance (130mb ram memory available) and a good contrast screen rom on your NST it is better a 1.1.2 (rooted with touchnooter2.1.31 plus a multitouch kernel to be installed with CWM recovery and the NoRefreshToggle.apk) than a 1.2.1 with fastmode or norefresh.

Follow this instructions for downgrading and optimizing your NTS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kuskro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kuskro Ad-Free
19th May 2013, 03:17 PM |#399  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuskro

If you accept an advice, whether you need an optimized performance (130mb ram memory available) and a good contrast screen rom on your NST it is better a 1.1.2 (rooted with touchnooter2.1.31 plus a multitouch kernel to be installed with CWM recovery and the NoRefreshToggle.apk) than a 1.2.1 with fastmode or norefresh.

Follow this instructions for downgrading and optimizing your NTS.

Thanks Kuskro for this great tutorial. I have now downgraded from 1.2.0 (Graphical rooter). I have followed your tutorial to a t and I am pleased with the results. I do notice a substantial difference in contrast with refresh when reading pdf and this is important. It could be that I was unable to get the refresh toggle to work properly on 1.2.0 but I certainly did see a difference in contrast (fastmode and refresh toggle). Out of curiosity, is this 'contrast' improvement only apparent in pdf viewing with refresh? In general, what other advantages do you think 1.1.1 (nooter) has over 1.2.x (Graphical rooter)? Lastly, is there anyway to get the same launcher I had on Graphical rooter (I thought it was ReLauncher but the one I downloaded does not give me the same results)?

Thanks again for your help
21st May 2013, 09:29 AM |#400  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Market has stopped opening for some reason...any suggestions?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
21st May 2013, 05:13 PM |#401  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by apap

Thanks Kuskro for this great tutorial. I have now downgraded from 1.2.0 (Graphical rooter). I have followed your tutorial to a t and I am pleased with the results. I do notice a substantial difference in contrast with refresh when reading pdf and this is important. It could be that I was unable to get the refresh toggle to work properly on 1.2.0 but I certainly did see a difference in contrast (fastmode and refresh toggle). Out of curiosity, is this 'contrast' improvement only apparent in pdf viewing with refresh? In general, what other advantages do you think 1.1.1 (nooter) has over 1.2.x (Graphical rooter)? Lastly, is there anyway to get the same launcher I had on Graphical rooter (I thought it was ReLauncher but the one I downloaded does not give me the same results)?

Thanks again for your help

Thanks a lot for your feedbacks. Well, you can have similar result on a 1.2.1 if you install from the maket the "legacy launcher" and replace the v166 kernel by multitouch kernel.

Anyway I prefer a rooted 1.1.2 version because NoRefresh works better and this rom uses the ram memory in accurate way.

Today, I've found out that disabling the hardware rendering in a different way and forcing software rendering on /system/lib/egl/egl.cfg, we have better contrast on PDFs readings. Set it as:
Code:
1 1 android
0 1 POWERVR_SGX530_125
(Note: we used to disable hardware rendering deleting "0 0 android" on /system/lib/egl/egl.cfg, but the way above is much better despite it consumes a bit more memory).

Also, I've just updated my wifi implementations: 20130521wifiupdate.zip

Best.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)