Screen goes black when I slide out keyboard

Search This thread

Erinc2005

Jul 18, 2009
Baton Rouge, La
My Xperia is messed up....

Has NO damage... No water damage, hasnt been dropped, overheated or anything...

Last night I was going to respond to a text and slid out the keyboard and the screen went blue... okay...weird... slid it back, still blue. So I restarted it. Heard the "ding" for the power off button. Turned it off. Turned it back on. Started to respond again. Slid it out... No blue screen, just had black and white lines, then went black, but it would never come back to the regular screen.

I have NO idea what triggered this. NONE. I've had no problems with my phone whatsoever.

What I've dont to try and fix it:
-Turn it on and off (obviously, to get the screen back on)
-battery pull
-sim pull
-hard reset

I bought the phone off of EBay. Has no warranty. I got a warranty with Squaretrade for my fiance's cell phone and when he needed to make a claim (it would power off when it was clammed shut...no damage to it. Also you couldnt hear out of the phone at all)) they said they couldnt do anything. I decided that was worthless and that I'm not going to get a warranty with them. Smart move not getting one period, but Ive had bad expierences with them anyways...

What else can I do? I'm @ a total loss... I don't know what else I can do since I've dont the hard reset. I'm trying to avoid taking it to a cell phone repair place b/c I have a hard time trusing people with electronics now (long story) unless I know you.

Thanks for reading and helping if you can!!

orelsi

Jan 1, 2009
My Xperia is messed up....

Has NO damage... No water damage, hasnt been dropped, overheated or anything...

Last night I was going to respond to a text and slid out the keyboard and the screen went blue... okay...weird... slid it back, still blue. So I restarted it. Heard the "ding" for the power off button. Turned it off. Turned it back on. Started to respond again. Slid it out... No blue screen, just had black and white lines, then went black, but it would never come back to the regular screen.

I have NO idea what triggered this. NONE. I've had no problems with my phone whatsoever.

What I've dont to try and fix it:
-Turn it on and off (obviously, to get the screen back on)
-battery pull
-sim pull
-hard reset

I bought the phone off of EBay. Has no warranty. I got a warranty with Squaretrade for my fiance's cell phone and when he needed to make a claim (it would power off when it was clammed shut...no damage to it. Also you couldnt hear out of the phone at all)) they said they couldnt do anything. I decided that was worthless and that I'm not going to get a warranty with them. Smart move not getting one period, but Ive had bad expierences with them anyways...

What else can I do? I'm @ a total loss... I don't know what else I can do since I've dont the hard reset. I'm trying to avoid taking it to a cell phone repair place b/c I have a hard time trusing people with electronics now (long story) unless I know you.

Thanks for reading and helping if you can!!

Search the forum?

W

Wild Child

I have this problem on one of mine also....it appears the flexribbon has gone bad...lcd is good....but when the keyboard slides out the screen goes black...tried another board and lcd in the phone problem still persists...this only leaves the ribbon as the culprit.

Regards,
WC

Erinc2005

Jul 18, 2009
Baton Rouge, La
I have this problem on one of mine also....it appears the flexribbon has gone bad...lcd is good....but when the keyboard slides out the screen goes black...tried another board and lcd in the phone problem still persists...this only leaves the ribbon as the culprit.

Regards,
WC

Ill be sure to tell the people @ the service center what the problem could be. That helps alot. Upsets me that I had to do a hard reset for no reason and mess my phone all up, oh well!

pacm23

May 29, 2009
same problem here wildchild is correct its the rigid flex ribbon. unfortunately it will take a month before the parts arrive since its not readily available at Sony Ericsson service centers...

M0eB

Aug 8, 2009
Unfortunately i just got this problem yesterday.
Suddenly, when i slide out the keyboard, screen fades and goes black.
When i slide it back screen is still on but black.
To bring it back i just click power button twice to put it to sleep and wake it up again. I assume this is the same problem and the ribbon cable is loose, correct ??

I was thinking of following one of the disassembly vids to try and open it and make sure the cable is connected correctly.
What do you guys think ? Give it a shot or too risky?
I am not sure if the ribbon cable is damaged and am assuming its just loose because the screen works fine without the keyboard out.
Any advice would be appreciated.

P.S - had the xperia 3 weeks now, bought it used (about 6 months) with no warranty, Its X1i running Energyrom 3.0 (05/08) build.

Erinc2005

Jul 18, 2009
Baton Rouge, La
A month?? Man, that's a long time... geeee wiz. I asked them asn they said about 7-10 busimess days, so we will see... but I trust it'll be about a month since you said they don't have the parts. :( I shipped it off Friday, put insurance on it, and said a prayer. I hate my Quickfire, its my backup phone... HATE, LOATHE.... DIEEEEE lol.

Ive been searching for other phones to replace this one if i continue to have other problems... but i cant find one I like. i Love WM, the QWERTY, and touch. Felt like i was send my child off to school or something.

W

Wild Child

I was actually able to find the flex ribbons on ebay took 6 days to get them from china, bought two of them since I have 2 sitting here with the same exact issue....they were about 60 dollars a piece and are here already...will report back after I repair the phones....

Regards,
WC

hazza001

Mar 21, 2009
hey man.. i got the same thing happened to my phone also.. slice keyboard out screen gose black... but phone is still running... why dont chu try the black card in ur box... give them a ring they should help u out... i bought my from ebay also... but lucky is a x1a so in melb which telstra sale it... check urs if is a x1a or not.. it should come with a warranty for 12 months... hope this can help...

tumpin

Mar 10, 2009
I have this also, my pghone is 5 months old. Senrt it away and they didnt have parts. After 3 weeks Sony sent an exchange unit. Opened up the box but the exchange unit is broken! The optical pad doesnt work at all and when I make calls no one can hear me at all.. :mad:

W

Wild Child

The flex cable fixed my issue....so to confirm this is the issue....repaired mine this evening, working perfect, abit tricky to get it all apart but is doable....

Regards,
WC

Erinc2005

Jul 18, 2009
Baton Rouge, La
I got my phone back from Sony on the 9th. They said there was a loose part. I sent it off on Aug 28, and got there on Sept 2, so it didnt take long at all like I thought it would. I was so tired of the other phone. Sad when a phone runs your life haha.

That was such a nice day...went and got fitted for contacts for the first time as well as a getting a new vision rx, came home with perfect vision and what was on my door step, my beloved X1i:p:p. I smiled sooooo big. I didnt expect it for a month! They said it should be 7-10 days at the service center though when I called them.

It was still under factory warranty, so I did'nt have to pay for the repair, but I sure would have paid if I had to... lol.

mtsingson

Jul 16, 2008
sigh having the same problem now

i used to be excited to put my treo 750 to sleep before when i changed to x1. but apparently i keep taking it out of the box again everytime i have to get my x1 repaired

i just got it back 2 weeks ago when i got fed up with the keyboard button problem.

now it seems i have to bring it back once again since the screen goes blank on me when i slide out the keyboard

hopefully they can fix it on the spot, maybe just a loose connection as compared to a broken ribbon.

was hoping to use the GPS when i go out of the country, paid and got the needed maps already. but i have only a week before i leave. hopefully itll get fixed by then