FORUMS

[Root][JB 4.2] Root your Nexus 7 without unlocking bootloader. (djrbliss motochopper)

2,068 posts
Thanks Meter: 573

By nhshah7, Senior Member on 14th April 2013, 12:21 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th May 2013, 11:03 AM |#111  
Flag Heidelberg
Thanks Meter: 4,302

More
Be careful! It depends much on how those modifications are done. If this program i.e. is modifying the wpa_supplicant.conf, this is a system modification, too. A factory reset will not reset those changes, because a factory reset principally erases only all data located on /data, but no modification done within /system.
20th May 2013, 11:09 AM |#112  
Flag Riyadh
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDiSa

Be careful! It depends much on how those modifications are done. If this program i.e. is modifying the wpa_supplicant.conf, this is a system modification, too. A factory reset will not reset those changes, because a factory reset principally erases only all data located on /data, but no modification done within /system.

I'll take note of that.
I'll do everything with care in making sure nothing will go wrong,
Thank you.
20th May 2013, 06:45 PM |#113  
Flag cardiff
Thanks Meter: 6

More
so when i connect my nexus do i need to run abd.exe or RUN BAT from the file
20th May 2013, 07:33 PM |#114  
Flag Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Thanks Meter: 609

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty2322

so when i connect my nexus do i need to run abd.exe or RUN BAT from the file

Ensure ADB debugging on your N7 is enabled in Developer Options and then run the run.bat file.

Rgrds,
Ged.
The Following User Says Thank You to GedBlake For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GedBlake Ad-Free
20th May 2013, 08:13 PM |#115  
Thanks Meter: 1,051

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorvital

I'll take note of that.
I'll do everything with care in making sure nothing will go wrong,
Thank you.

The simplest way to make sure that "nothing will go wrong" is to assume that something will go wrong, and you will therefore need a backup. Install a custom recovery and make a Nandroid Backup as soon as possible - before you start making any modifications.

You do not need an unlocked bootloader or fastboot to do this - all that is required is that you type a command or two in a root shell. You can do that from a terminal emulator app or from and ADB shell (from the PC) according to your preferences. This is a completely reversible operation.

You can even record your current (stock) recovery first using the same procedure to make sure that you have a copy of it, should you want to restore the stock recovery at a later date. (Frankly, this is the best way to apply an OTA, especially if there are radio firmware or bootloader updates as part of the OTA).

Code:
C:\here_i_am_using_windows> adb shell
$ su
# dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS of=/sdcard/stock-recovery-4.2.2-image.img
# dd if=/sdcard/name-of-custom-recovery-image-file.img of=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS
The custom recovery (image files) of your choice can be downloaded from here:

TWRP (grouper/WiFi-Only/nakasi)

TWRP (tilapia/WiFi+3G/nakasig)

CWM (note links for "Nexus 7" vs. "Nexus 7 (GSM)

The "touch" versions of the recovery use a touch-based graphical interface rather than the older text-menu + Power/Volume button navigation. Whether you choose touch, non-touch, TWRP, or CWM is up to you.

So - an outline of steps.

1) Make sure you can get a root shell using the "su" command with either "adb shell" or from a terminal emulator app
2) Download your preferred Custom Recovery, according to whether you have a grouper(WiFi) or tilapia(3G) Nexus 7
3) Get the custom recovery image file to the /sdcard of your device, and verify the MD5 sum is the same as given on the download page.
4) Run your terminal emulator (or "adb shell") command and get a root shell with the "su" command. (Use the pop-up dialog of SuperUser to allow this to happen)
5) as the root user, make a copy of your existing recovery image as shown above, but repeated here for emphasis:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS of=/sdcard/stock-recovery-4.2.2-image.img
6) flash the custom recovery file using the dd command as shown above, but repeated here for emphasis:
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/name-of-custom-recovery-image-file.img of=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS
7) Shut the tablet down and then reboot by holding Vol-Down + Power until the bootloader menu appears (about 3 seconds)
8) Use the Vol-Up/Down buttons to select "Start Recovery"
9) Use your recovery to create a full Nandroid Backup.
10) Reboot to the normal OS
11) GET A BACKUP OF THE NANDROID COPIED OFF THE TABLET (and the /sdcard/stock-recovery-4.2.2-image.img RECOVERY FILE TOO

good luck and enjoy.

Should you ever want/need to return to this lightly-rooted stock (with the minor addition of the SuperUser app and the "su" binary), you can:

- reinstall the stock recovery with the backup image you recorded, reversing the role of if= and of= (input and output file)
- restore your Nandroid backup

good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to bftb0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bftb0 Ad-Free
20th May 2013, 08:18 PM |#116  
Flag Riyadh
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftb0

The simplest way to make sure that "nothing will go wrong" is to assume that something will go wrong, and you will therefore need a backup. Install a custom recovery and make a Nandroid Backup as soon as possible - before you start making any modifications.

You do not need an unlocked bootloader or fastboot to do this - all that is required is that you type a command or two in a root shell. You can do that from a terminal emulator app or from and ADB shell (from the PC) according to your preferences. This is a completely reversible operation.

You can even record your current (stock) recovery first using the same procedure to make sure that you have a copy of it, should you want to restore the stock recovery at a later date. (Frankly, this is the best way to apply an OTA, especially if there are radio firmware or bootloader updates as part of the OTA).

Code:
C:\here_i_am_using_windows> adb shell
$ su
# dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS of=/sdcard/stock-recovery-4.2.2-image.img
# dd if=/sdcard/name-of-custom-recovery-image-file.img of=if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS
The custom recovery (image files) of your choice can be downloaded from here:

TWRP (grouper/WiFi-Only/nakasi)

TWRP (tilapia/WiFi+3G/nakasig)

CWM (note links for "Nexus 7" vs. "Nexus 7 (GSM)

The "touch" versions of the recovery use a touch-based graphical interface rather than the older text-menu + Power/Volume button navigation. Whether you choose touch, non-touch, TWRP, or CWM is up to you.

So - an outline of steps.

1) Make sure you can get a root shell using the "su" command with either "adb shell" or from a terminal emulator app
2) Download your preferred Custom Recovery, according to whether you have a grouper(WiFi) or tilapia(3G) Nexus 7
3) Get the custom recovery image file to the /sdcard of your device, and verify the MD5 sum is the same as given on the download page.
4) Run your terminal emulator (or "adb shell") command and get a root shell with the "su" command. (Use the pop-up dialog of SuperUser to allow this to happen)
5) as the root user, make a copy of your existing recovery image as shown above, but repeated here for emphasis:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS of=/sdcard/stock-recovery-4.2.2-image.img
6) flash the custom recovery file using the dd command as shown above, but repeated here for emphasis:
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/name-of-custom-recovery-image-file.img of=if=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS
7) Shut the tablet down and then reboot by holding Vol-Down + Power until the bootloader menu appears (about 3 seconds)
8) Use the Vol-Up/Down buttons to select "Start Recovery"
9) Use your recovery to create a full Nandroid Backup.
10) Reboot to the normal OS
11) GET A BACKUP OF THE NANDROID COPIED OFF THE TABLET (and the /sdcard/stock-recovery-4.2.2-image.img RECOVERY FILE TOO

good luck and enjoy.

Should you ever want/need to return to this lightly-rooted stock (with the minor addition of the SuperUser app and the "su" binary), you can:

- reinstall the stock recovery with the backup image you recorded, reversing the role of if= and of= (input and output file)
- restore your Nandroid backup

good luck

That's noted.....will keep that in mind.....
thank you so much for the assistance...
will keep you guys posted for any progress...
cheers
22nd May 2013, 04:09 AM |#117  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 26

More
May I ask, Does this work with Nexus 4 as well.
If I have Nexus 4 & 7, Can both device use the Nexus universal naked drivers, v0.72...?

Thanks...!
22nd May 2013, 04:12 AM |#118  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 573

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon88

May I ask, Does this work with Nexus 4 as well.
If I have Nexus 4 & 7, Can both device use the Nexus universal naked drivers, v0.72...?

Thanks...!

Probably will work for n4 as well. Try it and let me know and I can update the OP and maybe even post in the n4 forums.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
25th May 2013, 12:30 PM |#119  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up Really easy method
Thank U for helping
28th May 2013, 04:45 AM |#120  
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 121

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW686

Oddly enough, at one point on my grouper I was able to "fastboot oem unlock", install CWM + CM10.1, "fastboot oem lock", and boot the modified image. Others report similar experiences. It is somewhat surprising that a locked bootloader would execute a boot.img that lacks an official signature; this would be a big no-no on most bootloader locked phones.

This implies that you could probably root the tablet using motochopper or kernelchopper, then install a custom recovery image (via "dd" not fastboot) which will be usable without ever unlocking the bootloader.

Try it and see?

Can anyone confirm if this ever worked?
28th May 2013, 05:50 AM |#121  
Flag Heidelberg
Thanks Meter: 4,302

More
I didn't try, but it should work. The bootloader does not really care about the signature of an installed ROM. Checks (if they are done) take place only at the installation process.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)