Thanks Meter: 516

By GabrialDestruir, Senior Member on 12th November 2011, 07:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st May 2013, 04:13 PM |#401  
Thanks Meter: 317

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by apap

Thanks Kuskro for this great tutorial. I have now downgraded from 1.2.0 (Graphical rooter). I have followed your tutorial to a t and I am pleased with the results. I do notice a substantial difference in contrast with refresh when reading pdf and this is important. It could be that I was unable to get the refresh toggle to work properly on 1.2.0 but I certainly did see a difference in contrast (fastmode and refresh toggle). Out of curiosity, is this 'contrast' improvement only apparent in pdf viewing with refresh? In general, what other advantages do you think 1.1.1 (nooter) has over 1.2.x (Graphical rooter)? Lastly, is there anyway to get the same launcher I had on Graphical rooter (I thought it was ReLauncher but the one I downloaded does not give me the same results)?

Thanks again for your help

Thanks a lot for your feedbacks. Well, you can have similar result on a 1.2.1 if you install from the maket the "legacy launcher" and replace the v166 kernel by multitouch kernel.

Anyway I prefer a rooted 1.1.2 version because NoRefresh works better and this rom uses the ram memory in accurate way.

Today, I've found out that disabling the hardware rendering in a different way and forcing software rendering on /system/lib/egl/egl.cfg, we have better contrast on PDFs readings. Set it as:
Code:
1 1 android
0 1 POWERVR_SGX530_125
(Note: we used to disable hardware rendering deleting "0 0 android" on /system/lib/egl/egl.cfg, but the way above is much better despite it consumes a bit more memory).

Also, I've just updated my wifi implementations: 20130521wifiupdate.zip

Best.
The Following User Says Thank You to kuskro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kuskro Ad-Free

21st May 2013, 06:45 PM |#402  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
I tried to edit egl.cfg but I get the warning that I cannot change a system file. This is strange since I was able to make the initial changes according to your tutorial.

Also, for some reason I am no longer able to access market...it just doesn't open. Any idea what I can do?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
21st May 2013, 07:23 PM |#403  

More
Quote:

I tried to edit egl.cfg but I get the warning that I cannot change a system file. This is strange since I was able to make the initial changes according to your tutorial.

Also, for some reason I am no longer able to access market...it just doesn't open. Any idea what I can do?

Thanks

If you are using Root Explorer you must set it as read-write (Mount R/W).

Or, modify the "egl.cfg" on your PC and after push it via ADB:
Code:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
adb push egl.cfg /system/lib/egl/egl.cfg
adb shell chmod 644 /system/lib/egl/egl.cfg
About the Market, with TouchNooter we still have to use searchmarket, you can find it enclosed in this post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip searchmarket.zip - [Click for QR Code] (20.6 KB, 68 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kuskro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kuskro Ad-Free
22nd May 2013, 09:26 AM |#404  

More
Thanks again. I have searchmarket installed and all worked well for a couple of days. Then for no apparent reason the market just won't open (whether I use search market) or tap on the market app. Strange...

The Following User Says Thank You to apap For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift apap Ad-Free
22nd May 2013, 10:29 AM |#405  

More
Quote:

Thanks again. I have searchmarket installed and all worked well for a couple of days. Then for no apparent reason the market just won't open (whether I use search market) or tap on the market app. Strange...

It never happened to me. Maybe you have disabled a system services by mistake.
The Following User Says Thank You to kuskro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kuskro Ad-Free
22nd May 2013, 11:00 AM |#406  

More
Could be that when I was disabling some of the system apps according to your tutorial I inadvertently disabled the wrong service...will check. Thankd

The Following User Says Thank You to apap For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift apap Ad-Free
24th May 2013, 08:30 AM |#407  

More
Kuskro, I managed to get market working again. I tried a restore of market with titanium backup which didn't go through...but somehow this unglitched the market.

Do you know how to modify quicknav buttons? I used a mod for that on 1.2.0 but don't think it works on 1.1.1?

24th May 2013, 11:32 AM |#408  

More
Quote:

Kuskro, I managed to get market working again. I tried a restore of market with titanium backup which didn't go through...but somehow this unglitched the market.

Do you know how to modify quicknav buttons? I used a mod for that on 1.2.0 but don't think it works on 1.1.1?

Hi, the Nook Touch Tools (1.0-beta2) included on TouchNooter 2.1.31, lets you modify the quicknav buttons. Open the app, click on "B&N buttons", unchecked ""n" button goes to home directly" and scroll down to modify B&N Quicknav settings.

On the other hand, after different test with SetCPU, the best governor is "userspace". Create two profiles on it for Screen On (Set Min AND Max clock freq. to 800 MHz, governor=userspace, no scheduler checked) and another for Screen Off (Set Min AND Max clock freq. To 300 MHz, governor=conservative, no scheduler checked). And check “Apply on boot”.

And despite the fact that the rendering mod I suggested post before gave us better screen contrast, it consumes more battery so our second option is in file /system/lib/egl/egl.cfg delete the line "0 0 android".

Also, for reading PDF from my viewpoint Repligo v4.0.2 is the best. I normally use two settings on NoRefresh, one for Repligo (contrast setting appear always and unchecked clear screen before applying and on SetCPU governor on userspace) and another for Opera Mobile (contrast setting always define automatically and checked clear screen before applying and on SetCPU governor on performance).

Best.
24th May 2013, 03:57 PM |#409  

More
The settings for repligo nofresh you set in setcpu? I don't have any other place to set more fresh settings...just a togglenorefresh.

Thanks again for your invaluable help!

24th May 2013, 08:30 PM |#410  

More
Quote:

The settings for repligo nofresh you set in setcpu? I don't have any other place to set more fresh settings...just a togglenorefresh.

Thanks again for your invaluable help!

Well, you can set distinct profiles for different situation on SetCPU. In my case, I have three profiles:

1. Opera Mobile ((Min. & max. clock freq. to 800 MHz, governor=performance, no scheduler checked) => priority 100
3. Screen On (Min. & max. clock freq. to 800 MHz, governor=userspace, no scheduler checked) => priority 99
4. Screen Off (Min. & max. clock freq. to 300 MHz, governor=conservative, no scheduler checked) => priority 98

For NoRefresh I just change the settings manually, I created a shortcut to the app on the main screen. It's not worth creating a script switcher. By the way, for better performance with NoRefresh reduce from 400 to 200 the "Auto Activate Time Window" (I modified the xml preferences tags for this app to have this setting on 150 but it has to be tested).

Also, I recommend you to use the "Reading Now Button" on the left side of the main status bar as "Orientation Switch". You can do that with Nook Touch Tools.

On the other hand, if you can afford buy a good task killer as "Advanced Task Killer Pro by Rechild", I recommend you to auto kill app when screen is off. (Note:Some task killer drain the battery, that the reason I recommend you Advanced Task Killer). Also, uninstall "Super Manager" and "Amazon Market", both drain the battery.
28th May 2013, 12:29 AM |#411  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello
I have a problem with rooting, it's almost the same as described below (last post):
http://androidforums.com/simple-touc...no-guides.html
Difference is that my NST freezes at the "Your NOOK is starting up..." screen.
What to do now? What am I doing wrong?
Need help please.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)