FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

ROOTED - Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available.?

15 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By ElvinWasHere, Junior Member on 26th May 2013, 07:03 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
[Have seen this in other forums but wasn't sure if the solutions there applied to the S4]

Anyways, the only thing I've done on my S4 is 1) sim-unlock the device via (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2282683) and 2) root the device via KIES.

I have not installed any custom firmware or whatnot, I've only done the above 2. When I try to hit System Update, I get the message "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available."

I even ran Triangle Away to bring my counter back down to 0 (even if I didn't install any custom firmware) and I'm still getting this error. Does anyone have any solutions?
Should I unroot the device and will that bring it back to normal?

Thanks in advance!

26th May 2013, 07:10 PM |#2  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 1,496

More
It's because you rooted your phone

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
26th May 2013, 09:39 PM |#3  
Flag Lockport,IL
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Just flash a new ROM. As software updates become available the devs will base ROMs off of the latest update.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Brock Samson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Brock Samson Ad-Free
24th June 2013, 05:49 AM |#4  

More
no updates
I got the same message. I removed root and tried to update and got the same thing. I was wondering if a factory reset would restore my updates.

Bell, GS4, Qualcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvinWasHere

[Have seen this in other forums but wasn't sure if the solutions there applied to the S4]

Anyways, the only thing I've done on my S4 is 1) sim-unlock the device via (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2282683) and 2) root the device via KIES.

I have not installed any custom firmware or whatnot, I've only done the above 2. When I try to hit System Update, I get the message "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available."

I even ran Triangle Away to bring my counter back down to 0 (even if I didn't install any custom firmware) and I'm still getting this error. Does anyone have any solutions?
Should I unroot the device and will that bring it back to normal?

Thanks in advance!

24th June 2013, 06:04 AM |#5  
Flag ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Thanks Meter: 574

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnexMatic

I got the same message. I removed root and tried to update and got the same thing. I was wondering if a factory reset would restore my updates.

Bell, GS4, Qualcomm

Try using Triangle-Away.
The Following User Says Thank You to lordcheeto03 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lordcheeto03 Ad-Free
24th June 2013, 12:33 PM |#6  
Flag Boynton Beach
Thanks Meter: 545

More
In triangle away there is an option to disable root for a minute or so when booting, this will have the stock rom think its not rooted, enabling software updates.
26th June 2013, 03:35 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
same issue
I had the same issue. I had rooted my phone and got that message when trying to update OTA.
I really wanted the ability to put apps on the sd card from the phone itself and not have to use some fancy app to do it for me and make symbolic links (Linux stuff)
What I did was goto settings-accounts-backup and reset- and selected factory data reset.

This completely returns your phone to stock like it came out of the box. afterward I didn't get the message but I kept getting server communication errors so I connected my phone through usb to kies and it is doing the firmware upgrade as I type and OMFG is it the slowest ****ing thing I have ever had the misfortune to do. Its been on for about 3 hours and its only at 42%
And strangely my phone is still completely usable while this is going on.
27th June 2013, 12:40 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 5,209

Donate to Me
More
Wait, is the update available for the T-Mobile devices now?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
24th July 2013, 03:35 AM |#9  
Flag San Francisco, CA, USA
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevessvt

In triangle away there is an option to disable root for a minute or so when booting, this will have the stock rom think its not rooted, enabling software updates.

Does anyone know if it works?
I've just rooted my phone a few days ago, and removed some Sumsang and t-mobile bloatware, and that message appeared.

Thanks in advance.
24th July 2013, 01:39 PM |#10  
Flag Boynton Beach
Thanks Meter: 545

More
Anyone of us will be answer. Soon as an update is released. But in order to get an update, you MUST be completely stock, down to the bloatware.
22nd August 2013, 09:08 PM |#11  

More
Unhappy your system has been modified
Hi, I have successfully installed cynogen mod 10.1 nightly. And I again restored my original 4.1.2 but now when I trying to check OTA update it says "your system has been modified, software update is not available. Please please please help me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-23-01-11-51-1.png
Views:	728
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	2206859  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)