DroidWall - Android Firewall (iptables front-end) [v1.5.5] [Dec/01/11]

Search This thread

rodrigo.zr

Jul 25, 2009
I don't have an unlimited data plan, so I was quite frustrated to see that my G1 was consuming lots of megabytes in the background (also draining battery too fast).

To solve this problem, I wrote this iptables front-end to block undesired applications from accessing the network.

DroidWall - Android Firewall is a front-end application for the powerful iptables Linux firewall. It allows you to restrict which applications are permitted to access your data networks.

This is the perfect solution if you don't have an unlimited data plan, or just wants to see your battery lasting longer.

IMPORTANT: Root access required

Project home:
http://code.google.com/p/droidwall/
or
http://droidwall.googlecode.com/

Download from the Android Market:
chart

After installing, press menu and click Help for an explanation on how to use it.

UPDATE: Latest version: 1.5.5 - You can check the changelog here.

I hope this will help other people.
RZR

Last edited:

ubernicholi

May 6, 2009
arvada,co
madzorg.blogspot.com
I'm sure a lot of seople will find this useful, however you should move you post to the games and programs forum. This is for rom delvelopment. Not trying to be rude, just a PSA before the mods move it.

On the top righthand side of you post you will see a triangle with a exclimation mark. Click it and ask a mod to move your thread to the appropriate forum.

If I ever have to drop my unlimetd plan I will be looking for a program like yours. Keep it updated and good luck

g4m3rz

Jan 3, 2009
nice idea.. might even increase some battery life by preventing apps from accessing the net behind your back :)

rodrigo.zr

Jul 25, 2009
I'm sure a lot of seople will find this useful, however you should move you post to the games and programs forum. This is for rom delvelopment. Not trying to be rude, just a PSA before the mods move it.

On the top righthand side of you post you will see a triangle with a exclimation mark. Click it and ask a mod to move your thread to the appropriate forum.

If I ever have to drop my unlimetd plan I will be looking for a program like yours. Keep it updated and good luck
Sorry for the wrong place, I have already requested it to be moved to a more appropriate forum.
Thanks.

r_dub

Jun 2, 2009
Okay just a heads up you dont need adb to install this i can be done using package installer on the phone and its seems simple and easy to use I have the full data plan but im hoping it save my battery will definatley follow this for updates and keep you all updated on the battery life

rodrigo.zr

Jul 25, 2009
Sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately I can't install this on Cyanogen's 3.6.8.1 :confused:

"Droid Wall could not be installed on this phone."
I'm not sure why it won't install on Cyanogen. The only restriction for the application is android:minSdkVersion="3".
If anyone gimme a clue on this I'll surely modify it.

Geniusdog254

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
To the dev, if you don't have a market account I will gladly upload it using mine. Of course it would be as a free app (DUH! lol). I have an account that I don't use from buying my ADP1. Just mail me @ (email removed, author already mailed me) if you want it.

Last edited:

r_dub

Jun 2, 2009
This does NOT work on hero it blocks all web based apps without selecting them including the browser LOL love the idea though

rodrigo.zr

Jul 25, 2009
This does NOT work on hero it blocks all web based apps without selecting them including the browser LOL love the idea though
Droid Wall is white-list based, so you have to select the applications that you want to unblock, not the ones you want to block.

E.g.: to allow only the browser to access the internet, mark it and the click on "Apply rules".

Please let me know if it works on Hero since I have no oportunity to test it.
Thanks.

r_dub

Jun 2, 2009
Droid Wall is white-list based, so you have to select the applications that you want to unblock, not the ones you want to block.

E.g.: to allow only the browser to access the internet, mark it and the click on "Apply rules".

Please let me know if it works on Hero since I have no oportunity to test it.
Thanks.

OH okay i will try this again thats going to be kinda Important you should put that on the OP and i will gladly test this on hero any way to save battery is great for me

Last edited:

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
You talk about this as blocking ONLY data on the cell networks and NOT on wifi.

I suggest that it would also be good to be able to configure blockages on the wifi network, e.g. for semi-untrusted apps -- i.e. ones that want to communicate with homebase even though they work fine without it or ones that want to load ads.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't have an unlimited data plan, so I was quite frustrated to see that my G1 was consuming lots of megabytes in the background (also draining battery too fast).

To solve this problem, I wrote this iptables front-end to block undesired applications from accessing the network.

DroidWall - Android Firewall is a front-end application for the powerful iptables Linux firewall. It allows you to restrict which applications are permitted to access your data networks.

This is the perfect solution if you don't have an unlimited data plan, or just wants to see your battery lasting longer.

IMPORTANT: Root access required

Project home:
    http://code.google.com/p/droidwall/
    or
    http://droidwall.googlecode.com/

Download from the Android Market:
    chart

After installing, press menu and click Help for an explanation on how to use it.

UPDATE: Latest version: 1.5.5 - You can check the changelog here.

I hope this will help other people.
    RZR
    I have stock 2.2 rooted On HTC desire . Installed Droidwall ,enabled it .

Now only under whitelist ,clicked internet and did apply rules .Nothing else checked or clicked .

Now I go back and look the Blacklist ,the internet is clicked there also .why ? If I uncheck at whitelist ,it get unchecked at blacklist also .

I am not following this !.:confused:
    Why does the application gets checked at both the places ,when I check at only one place (either black or white list ) .?

thanks
    I believe you misunderstood the functionality... DroidWall does not keep two separated lists.
    You must select one of the two operation modes: either white-list or black-list

If you select black-list, it will block the selected apps.
    If you select white-list, it will allow the selected apps and block everything else.
    It's a great app and very useful but I have a problem with that!
    my VPNs don't work properly when the wall is active.
    they can connect to the server but when I'm using web browser or synching apps like gmail and other stuff they can't work and they say no connection is available...:(
    any idea friend?
    (the VPN networking is selected on white list for both wifi and 3g)
    btw tnx for this great app

Same Problem:
    Droidwall 1.5 & Samba

Dont' work.
    Must disable firewall to access the phone :-(

Those connections are handled by the kernel, you must allow kernel connections...
    If that doesn't work, use DroidWall's log to check what is being blocked.
    Hello all,

I have my own Android Market account now :)
    Many, many thanks to Jesse C for publishing DroidWall while I didn't have my account (it wasn't allowed on my country at that time).

I will now be able to update the market version more often than before. And I have many new features in mind for the next versions.

Unfortunately, we cannot move an application ownership on Market, so I had to publish DroidWall under a different package name. You can find the new version under the name DroidWall - Android Firewall or just scan the QR code on your phone:
    chart

Please, don't forget post a review of the new version ;)

Note that both versions will be installed in parallel, but I definitely don't recommend keeping both since they will "fight" with each other. Remember to remove the old version after installing the new one.

Just to make it clear, since some ppl asked me:
    The new version published on Market has the same signature of the APKs published on the website. However, you can't install the APKs from the website "over" the market version since the package name was changed on Market (if you try, they will install side-by-side).
    Thanks,
    I knew about the fix for wi-fi as I've posted here a while back, but I will update it for 3G as well.
    Cool!
    /AL

On the wiki about custom script is some info about the chains, I have found this by checking the script what is executed that applies the rules, its somewhere in /data/data/<package name droidwall> in one of the sub dirs. There is stand what interface belongs to what chain, all you do is add another interface to a chain, in this case the VPN interface

I hope this little thing will also make it to the wiki it could help some people, so that they don't have to spend the time to figure it out on there own.