Can't set wallpaper after latest ota update

Search This thread

evildread

Nov 26, 2012
I found that I couldn't add any new widgets to certain launchers without installing AppWidgetPicker.apk, and I had some challenges during my lengthy reinstalls of Play Store, but that was it. I honestly am not sure when that broke; it might've been during my initial rooting. But it's been so long since I'd added a widget anywhere that I wouldn't know if 7.4.1 broke it or me rooting 7.4.1 broke it.

Rooting to 7.4 did, as it removed everything but the default apps in the system/app folder.

To fix it so widgets work again just download the widgetpicker, pop it back on the system/app folder and apply the permissions again.
It should then work, or at least it still continues to work for me.

The only problem I've had so far with the new update is wallpapers.

Ok thanks fir trying but one more question. My kindle never disconects from the normal drivers in the pc. It just says in the driver info device cant start. Even though adb isnt working my kundle is having no problem staying connected to my computer is this a plus meaning my kundle isnt bricked that bad. Because it dostant disconnnect from the computer theres got to be some way to get fastboot working right.

PS my comouter us windows 7 home premium 64bit with an amd processor

I have the same setup, win7 64 bit. There's a thread over in development forums on gettingnadb working. I would say that should be your first step, get that working. Can you hold down the power button for the 20 seconds to completely power off and get into recovery? You're not bricked very bad. You should really have a factory cable to, I've had that save my kindle a couple times. After making sure your drivers are good plug the kindle in and see if the computer recognizes it. After that, head over to onemeila's system IMG restore thread again in development section. Follow that step by step and then you should be back up and running.

Last edited:

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
ok i have the alpha of the script just about complete, though i hit a snag i cant seem to get past tonightil work on it tomarrow probably. I will need some testers so if u have an 8.9 or a kf2 with a surefire way to restore from a bad framework please send me a pm, i will sendu the script for testing, not going to post the base script online becasue its still very rough, needs soem safety implementations, and its not finished. Could someone please tell me how to push something onto the system partition, i did this

Code:
adb.exe shell "su -c 'busybox mount -o remount,rw /system'"
adb.exe push framework-res.apk /data/local/tmp/framework-res.apk
adb.exe shell "su -c 'mv /data/local/tmp/framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk'"

but alas its not working, pushing directly didn't work either, any ideas?

Edit: unless theres a better method im using the cat command for now.

Last edited:

JORDANZ1998

May 30, 2013
New England
Yeah, that was a bad idea. ;) Better to use "/system/app mover" app for that stuff, just install normally and then move it. I only put stuff in system/app by hand if somebody else has said it's the only way to do something. And then I triple-check permissions. If by "putting" you mean you just copied it there w/out changing permissions, that's probably your problem. I would just delete it and not do that again, but w/out knowing exactly what you did, and factoring in the part where I've only been doing this since yesterday... well, good luck. ;)

Use KFFirstAide. Uninstall every driver related to Kindle or other android device you can find. If necessary, hook up the Kindle to do it.

Use KFFirstAide to install the Amazon drivers first - I think it's option 12. Try options 15 and 16 (the two fastboot methods) to try and get into your device. 15 only works if you have adb working, 16 can work without it. In all cases make sure that you follow what KFFirstAide says to do exactly, i.e. what to have on, off, connected, disconnected, etc. It's not like outsourced tech support telling you BS about rebooting your computer to fix your modem. ;)

Anyway, fastboot is a success if you get to a screen with a logo on it. Nothing else is going to happen, but the KFFA diagnostics should tell you "yep, it's in fastboot".

In my case, I then recovered by getting into the adb shell after this, by telling KFFirstAid to reboot it normally. And from there I fixed my goofs in adb. (But this *only* worked after I'd gone through many loops of making sure I got ALL the drivers out.

In general, when I had devices not starting, I could usually fix by uninstalling drivers again (be sure to go to add/remove programs and search thoroughly, refresh the screen w/F5 if you've left it open between removing things). Between yesterday and today I reinstalled those things a dozen times in order to get back in. The problem I think is that at some point if the device doesn't boot up properly, it stops in a mode where Windows thinks it's a different device.

Oh yeah, to get into adb, I sometimes had to update the driver from "ADB device" to "ADB composite Device", by telling Windows to hunt in the KFFirstAide directory for a driver. Sometimes you have to wait for the Kindle to fully boot up (and almost a minute later) before you get to adb, but when I did "boot normal" from fastboot mode (using KFFirstAide), I could get into adb only *before* the boot-up finished; after that it'd disconnect and it'd be too late to use the shell to undo my screwups.

I found out most of the above by searching the forums here, and occasionally by trial and error.

My advice: don't brick it in the first place if you can avoid it. Getting things back is a royal pain. ;)

(Today, after all the junk I tried, I had apparently messed up my Google Play, so I spent many more reboots getting that working properly again, only to lose all my desktop icons and widgets from my launcher. All of that is more-or-less fixed, but I'm exhausted and don't want to have to touch anything else ever again. If I'd known it would all be this much trouble I probably wouldn't have bothered rooting, or at least not trying to fix the wallpaper. I now know far more about how this stuff works than I ever wanted to.)

What widgets, and what do you mean by "load"?

I found that I couldn't add any new widgets to certain launchers without installing AppWidgetPicker.apk, and I had some challenges during my lengthy reinstalls of Play Store, but that was it. I honestly am not sure when that broke; it might've been during my initial rooting. But it's been so long since I'd added a widget anywhere that I wouldn't know if 7.4.1 broke it or me rooting 7.4.1 broke it.
Yay I'm officially unbricked and you won't believe how. As you know I was stuck in the dreaded bootloop because I put next launcher 3d into the systems app folder. Just as I suspected the reason i was in the bootloop state was because next launcher couldn't load and since it was my default launcher the Kindle couldn't turn on properly. Well I woke up this morning and went to go try pjebby's idia. turned the Kindle on and by some stroke of Luck next launcher was able to turn enough for my kindle to turn on. Even though all I could do was pull down the notification bar it was enough. I just took it off of default launcher. Went back to are and deleted it now my kindle is working perfectly. Never going to install that app again. Thanks for all you guys who tried to help I really appreciate it.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Oh that was just a snippet, after that it chowns and chmods it, permissions are fine. I however fell asleep at 7 am and was woken up at 10 am... sooooooo sleeeeepy......

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

Reactions: JORDANZ1998

pjeby

May 31, 2013
Installation steps for framework-res.apk

ok i have the alpha of the script just about complete, though i hit a snag i cant seem to get past tonightil work on it tomarrow probably. I will need some testers so if u have an 8.9 or a kf2 with a surefire way to restore from a bad framework please send me a pm, i will sendu the script for testing, not going to post the base script online becasue its still very rough, needs soem safety implementations, and its not finished. Could someone please tell me how to push something onto the system partition, i did this

Code:
adb.exe shell "su -c 'busybox mount -o remount,rw /system'"
adb.exe push framework-res.apk /data/local/tmp/framework-res.apk
adb.exe shell "su -c 'mv /data/local/tmp/framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk'"

but alas its not working, pushing directly didn't work either, any ideas?

Edit: unless theres a better method im using the cat command for now.

The sequence I always used was to:

1. Put it on /sdcard
2. Use "busybox cp" to put it somewhere under /system with a different name than the final name (after mount rw)
3. chmod 644 it
4. Use "mv" to put it in the right place with the right name

Also, step 0: save the original on /sdcard somewhere, so I could quickly reinstall it if it broke something. ;)

The reason for that sequence above is that I found that adb shell's "mv" won't move across partitions. And if you use busybox's mv or cp -p, it keeps the "sdcard_rw" group on the file (which I could never figure out how to get rid of). No matter what, you're going to end up w/bad perms on the result, too. So, I eventually worked out that cp (without -p), followed by chmod 644 and mv, was the least problematic sequence to get the file where it needed to be with the right perms, quickly. (Because sometimes I had to do that same sequence in a hurry while the device was booting to put the original one back.)

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Its working

Ok tiem for the good news, we do indeed have a fix, i just got my automated script for fixing this working the kindle fire hd 7", took me a while to work out a stupid bug in my script but i finally foudn the reason behidn it. Anyways my script right now is still what i call an alpha script, it has no safety measures in it to guarentee it to work on other kindle models, nor future updates that will probably be just like this one. Also it has no fancy ui or restore option in case we start noticing any problems with the recompiled framework-res.apk, right now it is simple u clik it an dit does the process, so i need to give it some work. I am literally exhausted for today, havnt gotten hardly nay sleep and my eyes hurt from staring at my pc, im going to go lie down and ty to sleep. If you want to test out my fix for this its advised u have 2nd bootloader + twrp incase of brick, i'm currently in need of people to test this script out on their kfhd 8.9' and kf2's, so plz pm me if u can test it out. Also to those that do test it out:

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any bricked devices or anything else that this might cause your kindle to do. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Their really isn't any risk on a kindle fire hd 7' so far, its just the other models i'm worried about, also don't run the script more than once, it'll overwrite the backup of your original framework-res.apk, i will fix this in the refined script.
Oh and yea you need to be rooted to use this, i read somewhere some people found a way to use alternate launchers without rooting, but i don't feel like including a rooting exploit script inside of mine.

I'm not posting this on here since its incomplete, like i said pm me if you want to test it, i still need to refine it. Preferably want testers of the other kindles besides the 7 inch model, preferably with 2nd bootloader and twrp.

One last note i can confirm live wallpaper works as well if u have the livewallpaperpicker apk installed.

Last edited:

pjeby

May 31, 2013
Their really isn't any risk on a kindle fire hd 7' so far, its just the other models i'm worried about, also don't run the script more than once, it'll overwrite the backup of your original framework-res.apk, i will fix this in the refined script.

If you use the sequence from the script in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=889963

It'll take care of not overwriting its own backup.

Also, just a heads-up to any testers: I personally was only able to set my first wallpaper by picking from a non-standard wallpaper set (specifically, the wallpapers from Espier Launcher, which I had installed as a system app). After I did that, I was always able to set any other wallpaper again.

However, I'm not 100% sure that this sequence had anything to do with the wallpaper set, or whether it's simply a matter of needing to wait a minute or two after the first reboot with the mod in place. On the first try to pick the wallpaper, there is a long wait and it would fail, and then I'd try again and it would have a somewhat shorter wait and succeed, and then from there it was usually pretty quick. So it's possible that while the system is starting the needed service is slow responding and just fails. So if you don't have any other wallpaper sets to try, you may want to try waiting a minute ore two to be sure the device has fully booted up and all the startup crap is done running, just in case the problem I experienced has nothing to do w/default vs. non-default wallpaper sets. Heck, for all I know it was a problem with the one specific (high-def) wallpaper I was trying to set.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Just thought I'd post an update, the automated wallpaper fix is pretty much done, I am going to fancify the menus tomorrow to make it look more like binaries root menus, but I have the restore function implemented, and also implemented a way to make this theoretically work on all kindles plus future updates if the bools.xml is different than mine. Still need a HD 8.9" tester, and my kf2 tester should be testing my latest revision tomorrow ( as in when I wake up because its almost 6 am). Also out of curiosity what forum should I post the wallpaper fix in when its done, the general one? Oh and I will make the Linux script when I'm done with the windows batch version. The Linux version should take all of 5 min to create because I used a few Linux commands included in windows binaries, made my life so much easier. But I learned one thing throughout this process, I hate batch file coding. After using bash for a while, you notice how much more flexible bash is than batch, took me the better part of an hour to figure out how to store a programs' output as a variable in windows... Now that I'm done ranting, Plz give me a 8.9 inch tester!

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using xda app-developers app

JORDANZ1998

May 30, 2013
New England
Just thought I'd post an update, the automated wallpaper fix is pretty much done, I am going to fancify the menus tomorrow to make it look more like binaries root menus, but I have the restore function implemented, and also implemented a way to make this theoretically work on all kindles plus future updates if the bools.xml is different than mine. Still need a HD 8.9" tester, and my kf2 tester should be testing my latest revision tomorrow ( as in when I wake up because its almost 6 am). Also out of curiosity what forum should I post the wallpaper fix in when its done, the general one? Oh and I will make the Linux script when I'm done with the windows batch version. The Linux version should take all of 5 min to create because I used a few Linux commands included in windows binaries, made my life so much easier. But I learned one thing throughout this process, I hate batch file coding. After using bash for a while, you notice how much more flexible bash is than batch, took me the better part of an hour to figure out how to store a programs' output as a variable in windows... Now that I'm done ranting, Plz give me a 8.9 inch tester!

I would just post the file right here. Since the people are looking up a way to fix this issue will probably find this thread. I did

Geckodudes

Apr 22, 2013
Petaluma
Yes!

I would just post the file right here. Since the people are looking up a way to fix this issue will probably find this thread. I did

Ditto!

btw, is there any thread that shows which files change the battery indicators for the new Kindle stock ROM? I'd like to have the new battery indicators, but I don't know if/how I can get them without updated, rooting, and doing the wallpaper thing.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Its probably in the new systemui.apk you'd have to mod the old one with an image from the new I guess, probably using the same method my automation script does for this fix. On a side note I am confirming my script works on kindle fire 2.

JORDANZ1998

May 30, 2013
New England

Hey, how's everything going so far. I have a few questions if you don't mind answering them!!!

1. Is it safe on the Kindle Fire HD 7? Will it brick it. From yesterday's experience I don't want it happening again.
2. Is the new framework-res overwriting the current one do I have to cut the old one out and past the new one?
3. What directory is it In can't seem to find it.
Thanks for all your help and I can't wait to try it out IF ITS SAFE :)

pjeby

May 31, 2013
No such thing as "safe" when modding

Hey, how's everything going so far. I have a few questions if you don't mind answering them!!!
1. Is it safe on the Kindle Fire HD 7?

As safe as modifying your Kindle in general is, which is to say, not very. ;)

If you mean, "does it work on the KFHD7?", the answer is yes, because that's what I used to work this out on.

Will it brick it. From yesterday's experience I don't want it happening again.

I hear you. I bricked my machine more than once figuring this out, but the steps I've given should be sufficient for someone who understands what they're doing to avoid repeating my mistakes.

2. Is the new framework-res overwriting the current one do I have to cut the old one out and past the new one?

You should not install this by copy and paste. Not because it can't be done (my first attempt was done that way), but because if it's too much trouble to set up and use adb first, then you're not going to be in a position to recover if you make a mistake. ;) Set up adb and make darn sure you can get in. Better yet, use KFFirstAide and back everything the hell up before you start, use it to install drivers and test adb communication, etc., before you start.

The file is /system/framework/framework-res.apk. It has to be copied, decompiled, altered, recompiled, and a specific file re-merged with the original version in order to create a new version. It is not something you can edit by hand, you need apktool and a good zip utility. I believe stunts513 is including all the needed tools with his script.

There are no guarantees here, and always the possibility of *something* breaking. I've been reviewing stunts513's scripts as he works on them, identifying places where things could break (as is he), and we're trying to make it bulletproof, but there is still no such thing as 100% bulletproof, not on a hobbyist budget. No way to know if something will be different about your specific PC or Kindle, which is part of why I wouldn't upload my working modded file. The script stunts513 is writing should hopefully work even if the framework-res.apk file on your machine is 100% unique, because it pulls the file off first and then only modifies the smallest possible part that needs changing.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Version 2.1 Released!

Disclaimer: By using my script, you understand and accepts that I, and any people mentioned, will NOT be held responsible in the event that your device bricks, get stuck in boot loops, or any other damage.

Ok after debugging my script and making it better for 3-4 days, i finally have a safe version for the general public. Things you should know:

• Highly recommended that you have 2nd boot loader + twrp in the rare chance this bricks your kindle, because you can adb from twrp and restore the backup
  • If you have any alternative launchers installed, the widget picker apk, and/or the live wallpaper apk, it's suggested removing these before running my script or it may tell you your system partition is too low on disk space to continue.
  • This is for OS 10.4.1, 7.4.1, and 8.41 and probably up if they keep this feature disabled
  • You need a rooted device for this to work
  • You need java installed
  • You need Microsoft Visual C++ Redist installed
  • If it stays on "waiting for device" you have adb driver problems, I would suggest perusing the forums for a solution
  • DON"T PULL YOUR CABLE DURING THE PROCEDURE! < very important
I have learned a lot through making this, such as you have to make this n00b proof in terms of safety features. I also learned that i hate batch coding with a passion. I will release an update soon with the Linux bash script version of this in it, it may or may not work for mac users, I don't have any OS X macs around to check for commands like awk, but base don the last time i used one in school they didn't have half of the busybox commands I'm used to in them.

Compatible Devices:
  1. Kindle Fire HD 7"
  2. Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
  3. Kindle Fire 2
  4. Kindle Fire HDX 7"
  5. Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"

Many thanks to pjeby, who worked with me to make sure it had plenty of safeties to prevent bricks,and gave me the process to know how to do this so i could figure out a way to automate it, as well as checking my script every few updates. Also would like to give credit to JulianPaoloThiry, who noticed where the problem resided. Have to give some credit to a friend of a friend of mine who helped me overcome a really stupid error that i couldn't figure out because i didn't read the debugging text properly, his name is probably Matei, we communicated through email. And final thanks to awidawad and vashypooh, because i based most of this on the kindle fire utilities ui code, must say their tmp variable was the source of my agony with a java bug. Also to thank my testers lordhavemercy, and thekid41, and halfvast. Have to thank soupmagnet for some recent advice on transferring a error code over adb. Another huge thanks to starstremr for having the patience to help me work out a number of bugs introduced in 2.1 update changes that were made before release.

Now with credit given where due here is the wallpaper fix. I will add a readme file later. Just unzip the file and click the file called RunMe. Linux users run the RunMe.sh, you may have to fix permissions to give it execute permissions though.

Oh thought I'd add if a mod also might want to move this post as a new thread in the general section, I'm ok with that. If that happens i figured more people would see this since it affects 3 different models and this is only listed in the 7' hd section.

Edit:Confirmed this works on the 8.9' HD as well!

For now to help me with any problems you may have with this upon release I unhid the extra text that the programs and such are putting out and included a really crappy debugging script that logs the output. So if you run the program and it completes "successfully" but your wallpaper still wont apply do this:
1. Run the script again, choose restore
2. Right click runme.bat and hit edit, change the first line to say "@echo on" (without quotes). Save and exit.
3.Run the debugger.bat and give it a 5 count then hit 1 and enter, the console's going to remain blank, couldn't find a work around.
4. Wait until your kindle reboots, give your pc a 10 count, then press enter one or two times and send me the debuglog.txt that was created or just send me it in a pm using code tags

Once all the bugs have settled down I'll update with a copy without the extra text showing up.
Anyways try the new version!

Changelog:
-fixed a syntax bug in the Linux script.
-Got rid of awk bug in windows by switching to findstr
-Fixed broken safeties bug due to previously mentioned awk bug fix
-Fixed restore function again so it works and is safe
-Temporarily disabled the sdcard check for the backup, due to new method being a bit buggy with partitions over 1gb
-Changed backup path to help people with "system partition is low on disk space" messages
-Complete overhaul and cleanup of the Linux script (thanks soupmagnet)
-Fixed ./adb.exe in the Linux script
-Fixed patching bools from \ to / in Linux script
-Added a chmod line to Linux script to run at startup to make sure binaries have execute permissions
-Fixed Linux script Unexpected EOF error
-Fixed some clumsy mistakes in the low disk space warning in Linux script
-Think i fixed a stupid bug in the Linux script randomly trying to download xmlstarlet from source after a bad exit status from script.
-Added latest adb binary to Linux version(windows already had the latest version)
-Fixed safeties i previously implemented in a way that didn't work
-added some safeties for preventing brick if your sd card or system partition is low on disk space. Some of these safeties may be duds, as i
haven't had the opportunity to test whether an error code from android carries over adb to windows as a bad exit code, and I'm doubtful that
it does, so i will work on making safeties work if they don't in this release.
-added first revision of linux bash script (plan on updating it to be better later on)
-Added a safety to reduce bricking devices with low disk space on data partition. I have a feeling this is also a possibility of what was
causing some of the initial bricks that were reported on here after release.
-added a makeshift fix for people with java path issues, lets see how the fix works!
-Copied a set path function i forgot to originally that may or may not at some point could have caused problems, not too sure though.
-Changed the Microsoft visual C++ check to use %windir% instead of c:\windows
-Enabled more output for debugging purposes
-Included a crappy debugger script for helping me improve on errors
-Initial Release

Attachments

• Stunts_Wallpaper_Fix_v2.11.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 942
Last edited:

JORDANZ1998

May 30, 2013
New England
Disclaimer: By using my script, you understand and accepts that I, and any people mentioned, will NOT be held responsible in the event that your device bricks, get stuck in boot loops, or any other damage.

Ok after debugging my script and making it better for 3-4 days, i finally have a safe version for the general public, hasn't been tested on the Kindle 8.9", but i have someone willing to volunteer, just waiting for their results. Things you should know:

• This is for OS 10.4.1, 7.4.1, and 8.41 and probably up if they keep this feature disabled
  • If it stays on "waiting for device" you have adb driver problems, I would suggest perusing the forums for a solution
I have learned a lot through making this, such as you have to make this n00b proof in terms of safety features. I also learned that i hate bash coding with a passion. I will release an update soon with the Linux bash script version of this in it, it may or may not work for mac users, I don't have any OS X macs around to check for commands like awk, but base don the last time i used one in school they didn't have half of the busybox commands I'm used to in them.

Many thanks to pjeby, who worked with me to make sure it had plenty of safeties to prevent bricks,and gave me the process to know how to do this so i could figure out a way to automate it, as well as checking my script every few updates. Also would like to give credit to JulianPaoloThiry, who noticed where the problem resided. Have to give some credit to a friend of a friend of mine who helped me overcome a really stupid error that i couldn't figure out because i didn't read the debugging text properly, his name is probably Matei, we communicated through email. And final thanks to awidawad and vashypooh, because i based most of this on the kindle fire utilities ui code, must say their tmp variable was the source of my agony with a java bug. Also to thank my testers lordhavemercy, and thekid41.

Now with credit given where due here is the wallpaper fix. I will add a readme file later. Just unzip the file and click the file called RunMe.

Oh thought I'd add if a mod also might want to move this post as a new thread in the general section, I'm ok with that. If that happens i figured more people would see this since it affects 3 different models and this is only listed in the 7' hd section.
So overall this is pretty safe for the Kindle Fire HD 7 and will give you wallpaper and live wallpaper support back???

Reactions: JettMartinez

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Yes and the live wallpaper you have to get its apk and put it in the system app folder and set the permissions yourself, mine doesn't install live wallpaper. Also i don't know if it did it before this update, but go launcher hd doesn't give me the option to choose live wallpaper, the other launchers do though, so i had to install a live wallpaper chooser app to get the pick screen to come up. I will now flash back to cm10.1 because i prefer it in almost every way over stock os.

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Version 2.1 Released!

Ok after debugging my script and making it better for 3-4 days, i finally have a safe version for the general public. Things you should know:

• Highly recommended that you have 2nd boot loader + twrp in the rare chance this bricks your kindle, because you can adb from twrp and restore the backup
    • If you have any alternative launchers installed, the widget picker apk, and/or the live wallpaper apk, it's suggested removing these before running my script or it may tell you your system partition is too low on disk space to continue.
    • You need Microsoft Visual C++ Redist installed
    I have learned a lot through making this, such as you have to make this n00b proof in terms of safety features. I also learned that i hate batch coding with a passion. I will release an update soon with the Linux bash script version of this in it, it may or may not work for mac users, I don't have any OS X macs around to check for commands like awk, but base don the last time i used one in school they didn't have half of the busybox commands I'm used to in them.

Compatible Devices:
    1. Kindle Fire HD 7"
    2. Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
    3. Kindle Fire 2
    4. Kindle Fire HDX 7"
    5. Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"

Many thanks to pjeby, who worked with me to make sure it had plenty of safeties to prevent bricks,and gave me the process to know how to do this so i could figure out a way to automate it, as well as checking my script every few updates. Also would like to give credit to JulianPaoloThiry, who noticed where the problem resided. Have to give some credit to a friend of a friend of mine who helped me overcome a really stupid error that i couldn't figure out because i didn't read the debugging text properly, his name is probably Matei, we communicated through email. And final thanks to awidawad and vashypooh, because i based most of this on the kindle fire utilities ui code, must say their tmp variable was the source of my agony with a java bug. Also to thank my testers lordhavemercy, and thekid41, and halfvast. Have to thank soupmagnet for some recent advice on transferring a error code over adb. Another huge thanks to starstremr for having the patience to help me work out a number of bugs introduced in 2.1 update changes that were made before release.

Now with credit given where due here is the wallpaper fix. I will add a readme file later. Just unzip the file and click the file called RunMe. Linux users run the RunMe.sh, you may have to fix permissions to give it execute permissions though.

Edit:Confirmed this works on the 8.9' HD as well!

For now to help me with any problems you may have with this upon release I unhid the extra text that the programs and such are putting out and included a really crappy debugging script that logs the output. So if you run the program and it completes "successfully" but your wallpaper still wont apply do this:
    1. Run the script again, choose restore
    2. Right click runme.bat and hit edit, change the first line to say "@echo on" (without quotes). Save and exit.
    3.Run the debugger.bat and give it a 5 count then hit 1 and enter, the console's going to remain blank, couldn't find a work around.
    4. Wait until your kindle reboots, give your pc a 10 count, then press enter one or two times and send me the debuglog.txt that was created or just send me it in a pm using code tags

Once all the bugs have settled down I'll update with a copy without the extra text showing up.
    Anyways try the new version!

Changelog:
    -fixed a syntax bug in the Linux script.
    -Got rid of awk bug in windows by switching to findstr
    -Fixed broken safeties bug due to previously mentioned awk bug fix
    -Fixed restore function again so it works and is safe
    -Temporarily disabled the sdcard check for the backup, due to new method being a bit buggy with partitions over 1gb
    -Changed backup path to help people with "system partition is low on disk space" messages
    -Complete overhaul and cleanup of the Linux script (thanks soupmagnet)
    -Fixed ./adb.exe in the Linux script
    -Fixed patching bools from \ to / in Linux script
    -Added a chmod line to Linux script to run at startup to make sure binaries have execute permissions
    -Fixed Linux script Unexpected EOF error
    -Fixed some clumsy mistakes in the low disk space warning in Linux script
    -Think i fixed a stupid bug in the Linux script randomly trying to download xmlstarlet from source after a bad exit status from script.
    -Added latest adb binary to Linux version(windows already had the latest version)
    -Fixed safeties i previously implemented in a way that didn't work
    -added some safeties for preventing brick if your sd card or system partition is low on disk space. Some of these safeties may be duds, as i
    haven't had the opportunity to test whether an error code from android carries over adb to windows as a bad exit code, and I'm doubtful that
    it does, so i will work on making safeties work if they don't in this release.
    -added first revision of linux bash script (plan on updating it to be better later on)
    -Added a safety to reduce bricking devices with low disk space on data partition. I have a feeling this is also a possibility of what was
    causing some of the initial bricks that were reported on here after release.
    -added a makeshift fix for people with java path issues, lets see how the fix works!
    -Copied a set path function i forgot to originally that may or may not at some point could have caused problems, not too sure though.
    -Changed the Microsoft visual C++ check to use %windir% instead of c:\windows
    -Enabled more output for debugging purposes
    -Included a crappy debugger script for helping me improve on errors
    -Initial Release
    My Thoughts On Stunt's Wallpaper Fix

Hey guys I don't think it's fair to get on Stunt about his script. Just like any script on the forum you take a chance of bricking your Kindle. The guys that provide these scripts for us take a chance with their own Kindles in order to even make their scripts available. They advise you when using their scripts that you are doing so at your own risk.

I was one who had a bricked Kindle after using the script, but I was always able to restore it with backups, etc. Yes, it was frustrating, but what made the experience okay for me is that there were other members that did not experience bricking on their device. So, I knew the script worked, it had to be something I was doing or even the software I had on my Kindle. The experience wasn't bad because Stunt hung in there with me until he figured out why I was having problems with the script.

In fact, to make anything better it's always about trial and error. You have to have someone with a bricked device to report their findings to the coder so they can modify the script to make it work under most circumstances.

I really appreciate people like Stunt, Hashcode, and others because they do this without compensation for the countless of hours they pour into these free scripts to help those of us who are not coders or hackers to enjoy our tablets.

What's important is to take heed to their advice and back up your tablet so it won't be a devastating experience if you need to restore it. It is your responsibility to take precautions so you are not holding a brick after one of these scripts don't work the way it is designed. I knew I would brick my device, but before I started using the scripts, I purchased a fastboot cable to have on hand. That has been a life saver. If you are going to root your Kindle or use any script on the forum, you need to purchase one of those cables either here or on Amazon.

These are some good guys, talented and committed to helping us Kindle owners be able to enjoy our devices. They pour a lot of time and effort into these scripts. So, instead of insulting them or criticizing their work use their script, note what happens to your device when using it and report back to them. This helps them to make a better script for everyone.

The script works, but you have to take some precautions to limit the time you may have to spend restoring your Kindle in case it doesn't work. You use these scripts at your own risk. Instead of criticizing, encourage Stunt by reporting any errors in the script or what happened during the script that bricked your device. That's the only way to make the script better where it will work for anyone using it.

The script works. My Kindle Fire HD 7 is displaying beautiful live wallpapers because of Stunt's script and because we communicated about the difficulties I was having with the script (In fact, I'm considering restoring my Kindle HD 7 back to square one to assist with his new script).

Stunt provided suggestions and even went back to the drawing board to make the script better so others wouldn't have the same problem I was having (memory issue). That in my opinion shows commitment and integrity. Stunt could have done nothing, but he kept working to modify the script so it would work better for anyone wanting to use it.

In my book, that calls for KUDOs to Stunt, not criticism. The script works.

No such thing as "safe" when modding

1. Is it safe on the Kindle Fire HD 7?

As safe as modifying your Kindle in general is, which is to say, not very. ;)

If you mean, "does it work on the KFHD7?", the answer is yes, because that's what I used to work this out on.

Will it brick it. From yesterday's experience I don't want it happening again.

I hear you. I bricked my machine more than once figuring this out, but the steps I've given should be sufficient for someone who understands what they're doing to avoid repeating my mistakes.

You should not install this by copy and paste. Not because it can't be done (my first attempt was done that way), but because if it's too much trouble to set up and use adb first, then you're not going to be in a position to recover if you make a mistake. ;) Set up adb and make darn sure you can get in. Better yet, use KFFirstAide and back everything the hell up before you start, use it to install drivers and test adb communication, etc., before you start.

The file is /system/framework/framework-res.apk. It has to be copied, decompiled, altered, recompiled, and a specific file re-merged with the original version in order to create a new version. It is not something you can edit by hand, you need apktool and a good zip utility. I believe stunts513 is including all the needed tools with his script.

There are no guarantees here, and always the possibility of *something* breaking. I've been reviewing stunts513's scripts as he works on them, identifying places where things could break (as is he), and we're trying to make it bulletproof, but there is still no such thing as 100% bulletproof, not on a hobbyist budget. No way to know if something will be different about your specific PC or Kindle, which is part of why I wouldn't upload my working modded file. The script stunts513 is writing should hopefully work even if the framework-res.apk file on your machine is 100% unique, because it pulls the file off first and then only modifies the smallest possible part that needs changing.
    Sorry to hear it bricked your kindle, I wish I had some debugging info so I could find out why it did. I have used it on mine during testing about 10 times, back and forth between installing modded one to the backed one without problems. Strange that this happened. Personally I recommend having 2nd boot loader installed + twrp so if u get bricked it much easier to fix with a restore. Maybe I should update it to have enabled logging of the utility so if there are bricks it will record the process of the command prompt and they could send me them.
    If you can get your kindle into adb mode the original framework is backed up in the same folder, my apps restore function should fix it but if u prefer doing it manually after a bad experience u need to run adb shell then mount the system as writeable and su -c 'mv /system/framework/framework-res.apk.orig /system/framework/framework-res.apk'. Like I said my script will d this for you automatically though.