Official android 4.2 discussion thread for Asus transformer infinity

Search This thread

ronniereiff

Oct 28, 2012
Pride
I've noticed that when you type in keywords in the serch bar all it does is load a google page with out actually serching for anything. :mad:

xRevilatioNx

Jul 15, 2012
My stock browser intermittently crashes. Have no clue why. Did a factory reset and cold boot to no avail.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

louiscar

Oct 12, 2007
Hmmm, after getting my transformer back from the incompetent Czech service center I noticed that it had been downgraded to 4.1.1 and no root.

After downgrading to ICS I find that there are no OTA updates. Have the awful feeling they've blocked me.

I'm going to need to do this manually so if anyone can point me to the dplgk <sp?> file for WW (Europe) 4.1.1 and 4.2.1 I'd be grateful.

quietseb

Nov 23, 2008
Did you downgrade to ICS just to get root? If so, I suggest you restore a recent JB firmware. There is now a JB root method known as motochopper. It's been announced in several forums, including the tf700.

Cheers

Sent from my Xperia Neo V using xda app-developers app

Reactions: louiscar

louiscar

Oct 12, 2007
Did you downgrade to ICS just to get root? If so, I suggest you restore a recent JB firmware. There is now a JB root method known as motochopper. It's been announced in several forums, including the tf700.

Cheers

Sent from my Xperia Neo V using xda app-developers app

Yes I did. Thanks for the heads up on the JB root method, that's exciting news at last. :)

I'm still going to need to force an OTA upgrade but presumably if I do a normal one via the Asus site this will still work.

averystrangeguy

Jan 5, 2013
I did the workaround to get the 4.2 launcher up and running. I noticed everything is way way way faster after that. I'm wondering if the launcher settings are the real issue, and if anyone has tried just clearing the data and cache from the default launcher, to see if that fixes a slow tablet without the need for a full reload.

Just an idea...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

I did that too and the performance was much better, but I switched back because I couldn't use the Asus quick settings (which has more options, e.g. change system performance, and turn on/off sync, both of which I use very often)
Do youyou know if there is any way to enable it in the 4.2 launcher
(TL;DR the launcher I'd awesome but it doesn't have Asus quick settings

Trans-amers

Nov 14, 2012
Bath
I did that too and the performance was much better, but I switched back because I couldn't use the Asus quick settings (which has more options, e.g. change system performance, and turn on/off sync, both of which I use very often)
Do youyou know if there is any way to enable it in the 4.2 launcher
(TL;DR the launcher I'd awesome but it doesn't have Asus quick settings

Search the infinity forum, there are several list about the launcher transforming.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Gudders

Nov 19, 2010
Warrington
Battery Life

Has anyone else got very poor battery life after this update? I am using the new 4.2 style launcher and balanced mode, normal IPS as before. However I only seem to get about 2.5 hours screen time whereas I would get about 8-9 with the dock previously. It appears to me that the system is not properly sleeping when I put it down. I used to be able to leave it on for a day and only lose around 2% battery. Now it is closer to 30% battery loss!

The only thing I have different was I put two widgets on, BBC News and Appy Geek. I can't see a refresh time for either so have removed them to check if they are the culprit. Settings Battery stats says that Android System is using the most power, nearly 70%. On 4.0 and 4.1 the WiFi or screen would be the largest by far.

Any ideas?

ronniereiff

Oct 28, 2012
Pride
Has anyone else got very poor battery life after this update? I am using the new 4.2 style launcher and balanced mode, normal IPS as before. However I only seem to get about 2.5 hours screen time whereas I would get about 8-9 with the dock previously. It appears to me that the system is not properly sleeping when I put it down. I used to be able to leave it on for a day and only lose around 2% battery. Now it is closer to 30% battery loss!

The only thing I have different was I put two widgets on, BBC News and Appy Geek. I can't see a refresh time for either so have removed them to check if they are the culprit. Settings Battery stats says that Android System is using the most power, nearly 70%. On 4.0 and 4.1 the WiFi or screen would be the largest by far.

Any ideas?

People always come on these forms asking these types of questions hoping for a better answer but the only answer is
Do a full wipe and factory reset.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

An update rolled out for the tf300 yesterday morning and read reports of better proformance and no more lag/crashes and fixes for dock.

Improvement:
1. IME bugs fix
2. improve HDMI compatibility with more devices in the market
3. improve the Gmail compatibility with Splashtop
4. improve the privacy : only account owner can access any UI or settings related to external storage device
5. Other minor bugs fixed_

Have not yet herd of a patch for what evere issues the tf700 stock might be having but its likely.

(Or you could flash cromi-x ;) )

Gudders

Nov 19, 2010
Warrington
People always come on these forms asking these types of questions hoping for a better answer but the only answer is
Do a full wipe and factory reset.

I appreciate your response but I would be interested to learn the science behind why a factory reset would resolve this problem. I'll probably end up doing one at some point as it's something I try to do with a large update. However the internet is full of rumours and wives tales, I would rather try to understand the problem if possible.

(Or you could flash cromi-x ;) )

I'm sure I will eventually (I have a HTC HD2 so have flashed a few roms in my time). But at the moment I don't have any issues with stock and whilst I still have some warranty left....

Last edited:

Gudders

Nov 19, 2010
Warrington
Just as an update I removed the two widgetes and the issue hasn't come back. I don't know which one it was or whether it is a 4.2 specific issue with them as I never tried them before. I'm happy to live without them though so no great loss for me.

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
I had to dump this POS update last night and go back to 4.1.1

I gained NOTHING and lost way too much.

No CIFS mounting. I use EDS to mount encrypted volumes and it wasn't working right.

I also hated the new default keyboard. If I wanted swype typing back I had to use the built in android keyboard which has no row of numbers at the top. Really just WOW, and WTF are these idiots thinking?

dteg

Nov 24, 2012
FL
Hello, Everyone. After Upgrading to 4.2.1 my PS3 Controller stop working. I can't even detect on bluetooth options. The Sixaxis controller app can't start the drivers. Anyone Else? Someone know how to fix this issue? Thanks.

just gonna bump this... i certainly haven't found a working solution yet...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've successfully upgraded to 4.2.1 and preserved root with OTA Rootkeeper, but I am not able to activate Bluetooth any more. Can anyone confirm same issue or is it just me?

Odesláno z mého ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T pomocí Tapatalk 2

It's the same bug on the TF300. It can be fixed by changing the permissions on the system/vendor/lib/libbt-vendor.so file to 644 ( rw-r-r). You obviously need to be rooted to do this and can use esfile explorer or root explorer to accomplish it.

Which proves how useless Asus are at doing this as they haven't fixed it on the TF300 yet and have now made the same mistake on the TF700. Surely that have been told bluetooth won't turn on? This is not connecting devices it's actually not turning the radio on at all. It's basic stuff. Good job we know how to fix it for them eh? ;)
    Issues and solutions with SU and Superuser

For those that are having issues with root access after upgrading to 4.2.1. I think I have located the problem with a solution below.

Problem:
    The problem is related to your SU binary and Superuser.apk in relations to the latest 4.2.1 multi user feature. Prior to 4.2.1, SU assumes permission requested for only one user. In 4.2.1, root requests should specify current user or other users. Simply put, the SU binary is out of date (depending on when and how you rooted, for those with working root, I suspect you have the latest SU binary).

Solution:
    Install the new SU binary and SuperSU,apk
    SU binary:
    https://plus.google.com/103583939320326217147/posts/4FemP5ACLSn
    Instructions:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2183105

Superuser.apk version 3.1.3 will not intercept root access requests so you need to install SuperSU.apk.

Hope this helps!

---------- Post added at 02:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

BTW, if you are trying to play games with Sixaxis controller via BT. It is not working for me. Even with root restored, I cannot get the drivers to load. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
    Asus Global on Facebook has posted that tf700 would be updated to android 4.2 today. So lets keep hitting that check update.
    And lets wait and see whats new with this version on our tablets
    So far so good, using OTA root keeper still have root. Here are the versions,

Android v. 4.2.1
    GPS v. 7.9.11
    Wifi v. 7.2.1.44
    Bluetooth v. 11.33
    Touch panel v. ELAN-3024-7053
    Camera v. TF700T-B03400
    Kernel v. 3.1.10 g03bdcb1 android@Ceres#1
    Build # jop40d.US_epad-10.6.1.14.4-20130329
    Pad EC v. PAD-EC20T-0216
    MobileDock v. DOCK-EC20N-0207
    I'm guessing that since this update has changed the partitions it's killed the protected binary.

The update does not change any partitions on the TF700.

I wonder how voodoo keeps the root, or where exactly.

Two things: It saves a copy of the su binary in a location where it is not overwritten by the update. But the more important thing is that the update resets all permissions in /system, which kills the important SUID bit of su and its backup - without that flag, the su binary can't give you root. To prevent that, Voodoo OTA RootKeeper sets the "immutable" flag of the file in the filesystem. You can protect files yourself using the "chattr" command, that's what VRK uses internally.