FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

Cracked Camera Glass. Another build quality issue?

21 posts
Thanks Meter: 17

By jackwu95, Junior Member on 23rd April 2013, 10:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th June 2013, 12:31 AM |#611  
Thanks Meter: 518

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poongash

the kiosk rep manager looked at me and said "why do you want to replace the defective phone with another HTC One, you know that the camera lens will likely crack just like the one you're returning because HTC either flawed their design or the high heat from the metal casing has something to do with the cracking".

Am I the only one who finds this report less than credible?

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

10th June 2013, 01:34 AM |#612  
Thanks Meter: 649

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW

As much creditable as everyone saying their lens cracked on its own I guess. Its the internet take it for what its worth

Sent from my Infected Rezound using Tapatalk 2
10th June 2013, 05:15 AM |#613  
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 122

More
I cant imagine anyone who values having a job, saying that. lmao.
10th June 2013, 06:02 AM |#614  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
HTC One cracked camera lens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Jedi

It could also be viewed the person at Costco was questioning why you would want another HTC one when you are upset and complaining of design flaw. So she might have wondered if the damage was user in flicked or a flaw.

Anyways glad you was able to replace your phone. Like its always said its all in who you get on the phone or in person. Great job on pleading your case.

Thanks for the upbeat message Dark Jedi...you're correct. At first the manager questioned me, and so did my wife!! I also told the manager that too (haha)!! My answer to the manager was that I took the time to review the HTC One for a couple of months prior to the phone launching in the USA on CNet and ZDNet and other online publications so I got hooked with all the high scores it received from senior editors, and just because of the 'design flaw' I had a hard time letting go of the phone. So maybe I am wrong to take another chance, it is entirely my call. I do like the phone, I am just perplexed at the lens thing, but the phone is awesome...

She did offer me to switch over to the S4 or S3 (my choice) - (again Costco has 90 days no questions asked return policy on cell phones) so she was definitely being accommodating. Also, I'm sure that she read the 20 or so pages I printed out from the web about other people complaining like I did and we all said nearly the same thing (we didn't drop, bend or cause the lens crack to the best of our knowledge) so I think she was just doing the best she could.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW

Maybe yes, maybe not...who cares what you think...but that's the way it happened, believe it or not!! Hope you can sleep without tossing and turning in bed thinking about it!

The manager put herself in my shoes, realized that a customer with an expensive product is unhappy in a customer friendly business environment, and offered her thoughts about the 'flawed design build' - what's so hard to believe? Too many people on this website have this problem so its definitely credible! (HTC should be the one swallowing hard and figure out what they should be dong next to save themselves from losing credibility, and not people like you and me debating!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Poongash For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Poongash Ad-Free
10th June 2013, 09:27 AM |#615  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Same problem, noticed the lens cover was broken yesterday. I have had the phone since 29/03/2013 on contract with 3 UK. Half the time it has been in a HTC hardshell case, never been dropped.

Serial HT33FW

GlobeUK - April 22
jackwu95 - April 23
person via fidelcstrl - April 25
nab195 - April 25
dirtyhamster73 - April 25 - front facing camera on arrival
KMadine - April 27
HarveyTAS - April 27
dark4181 - April 28
teshnit - April 29
dmk123 - April 29
morehands - May 3
craig19904 - May 3
vivanshah - May 7
xiLLeNtz x2 - May 10
jncojoke - May 11
TEKtheMAESTRO - May 16
Lookatthemonkeys - May 16
vivanshah - May 16
troot - May 17
stevedebi - May 17
Twyxx - May 18
bjones72751 - May 18
levanoza - May 19
AmoebaAstronaut - May 20
fadercrusader - May 21
UberMoogle - May 22
jongie123 - May 24
randychuah - May 25
nitrox1 - May 29
?stevessvt? - May 31
Gadget_Grover - May 28
TheChad72 - May 30
paparis13 - June 1
sherold - June 1
Wilsonium - June 2
EricRKnudson - June 2
?metinagar? - June 2
JamieKitson - June 2
saladbowl831 - June 3
Moenmann - June 3
softei - June 3
timme282 - June 3
beeklaan - June 4
kcolatay - June 5
eironman23 - June 5
NOlightON - June 6
outrage_uk - June 6
soldatosp - June 7
jakr202 - June 10
10th June 2013, 10:47 AM |#616  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Updated List
GlobeUK - April 22
jackwu95 - April 23
person via fidelcstrl - April 25
nab195 - April 25
dirtyhamster73 - April 25 - front facing camera on arrival
KMadine - April 27
HarveyTAS - April 27
dark4181 - April 28
teshnit - April 29
dmk123 - April 29
morehands - May 3
craig19904 - May 3
vivanshah - May 7
xiLLeNtz x2 - May 10
jncojoke - May 11
TEKtheMAESTRO - May 16
Lookatthemonkeys - May 16
vivanshah - May 16
troot - May 17
stevedebi - May 17
Twyxx - May 18
bjones72751 - May 18
levanoza - May 19
AmoebaAstronaut - May 20
fadercrusader - May 21
UberMoogle - May 22
jongie123 - May 24
randychuah - May 25
nitrox1 - May 29
?stevessvt? - May 31
Gadget_Grover - May 28
TheChad72 - May 30
paparis13 - June 1
sherold - June 1
Wilsonium - June 2
EricRKnudson - June 2
?metinagar? - June 2
JamieKitson - June 2
saladbowl831 - June 3
Moenmann - June 3
softei - June 3
timme282 - June 3
beeklaan - June 4
kcolatay - June 5
eironman23 - June 5
NOlightON - June 6
outrage_uk - June 6
soldatosp - June 7
person via mikeyd85 - June 7
Poongash - June 7
jakr202 - June 10
10th June 2013, 04:44 PM |#617  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Cracked Lens
same thing happened to mine early last week. got it about three weeks ago and haven't dropped it once. i turned it around the other day and my camera lens was cracked. now i have weird fading on the top and bottom of all my photos. best camera i've had on a smartphone until that happened. I hope HTC can stand up and solve this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to TRuss4420 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TRuss4420 Ad-Free
10th June 2013, 06:13 PM |#618  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 258

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Jedi

Thought one person took out his lens and it was plastic.

I hope it is glass. Over time plastic tends to change color. Of course, no one is likely to have the One for more than a couple of years anyway, before the battery needs replacing - so maybe it won't have time to fade. But I'm having trouble believing that plastic would crack like that. Depends on the chemical formulation I suppose.

How this thread has me checking my camera lens cover every couple of days!
11th June 2013, 03:07 AM |#619  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Add me to the HTC One cracked lens list
After owning the HTC one for 3 weeks, I noticed some cracks on the camera lens. The camera has never been dropped, but has been subjected to blows while in my pocket. Some from crawling on the floor, and others from my pocket making contact with other objects. I carried a different brand phone in the exact same manner for 2 years with no issue leading me to belive it was a manufacturer defect. Of course ATT wants me to sent it in to HTC where I experienced the same $90 quote as others on this forum. I have decided to wait until HTC owns up to the problem, or a cheap remedy is made available.
11th June 2013, 06:42 PM |#620  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
HTC One cracked camera lens
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookienut

After owning the HTC one for 3 weeks, I noticed some cracks on the camera lens. The camera has never been dropped, but has been subjected to blows while in my pocket. Some from crawling on the floor, and others from my pocket making contact with other objects. I carried a different brand phone in the exact same manner for 2 years with no issue leading me to belive it was a manufacturer defect. Of course ATT wants me to sent it in to HTC where I experienced the same $90 quote as others on this forum. I have decided to wait until HTC owns up to the problem, or a cheap remedy is made available.

I took a couple of big steps yesterday, first I called HTC customer service and spoke with a decent rep (Tennessee location) and right upfront, I asked if he had heard of the cracked camera lens issue and he said yes a couple of times this week and last week also. I asked if HTC made any official statements about it or how they would address the issue, and he said that he had not heard anything as of the time of our call and there was nothing posted on their site. I mentioned the XDA Forum comments by quite a few perplexed HTC One owners all of us admitting that we did not drop, over squeeze or bang the phone into another hard object to the best of our knowledge (he told me that he would also read the blog as he usually does) so I was wondering what is taking HTC so long to come forward and deal with this head on. He said that he would elevate it to his supervisor to handle it.

Then I sent an email to CNET senior editors Brian Bennett and Jessica Dolcourt with the same issue we have all been talking about in this forum, and Jessica replied this morning saying that she would talk to Brian as he was the one that reviewed the HTC One, but she expressed concern.

So now this is really out in the open. My intent is to push HTC to research this issue properly, and find a corrective action step for all as the crack is likely a flaw either in design or materials, and likely not caused by a dropped phone or some other self created damage. This should help HTC be a better company. Look at Toyota and how they handled the Prius sticky accelerator problem back in 2009-10. I have never seen so many new Prius' on the road!! The consumer knows that Toyota was accountable, they stepped up, 'fixed' the problem, making the car safe and have never looked back. HTC can learn from success stories similar to this! We're counting on them!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poongash For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Poongash Ad-Free
11th June 2013, 08:26 PM |#621  
Cleveland
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poongash

I took a couple of big steps yesterday, first I called HTC customer service and spoke with a decent rep (Tennessee location) and right upfront, I asked if he had heard of the cracked camera lens issue and he said yes a couple of times this week and last week also. I asked if HTC made any official statements about it or how they would address the issue, and he said that he had not heard anything as of the time of our call and there was nothing posted on their site. I mentioned the XDA Forum comments by quite a few perplexed HTC One owners all of us admitting that we did not drop, over squeeze or bang the phone into another hard object to the best of our knowledge (he told me that he would also read the blog as he usually does) so I was wondering what is taking HTC so long to come forward and deal with this head on. He said that he would elevate it to his supervisor to handle it.

Then I sent an email to CNET senior editors Brian Bennett and Jessica Dolcourt with the same issue we have all been talking about in this forum, and Jessica replied this morning saying that she would talk to Brian as he was the one that reviewed the HTC One, but she expressed concern.

So now this is really out in the open. My intent is to push HTC to research this issue properly, and find a corrective action step for all as the crack is likely a flaw either in design or materials, and likely not caused by a dropped phone or some other self created damage. This should help HTC be a better company. Look at Toyota and how they handled the Prius sticky accelerator problem back in 2009-10. I have never seen so many new Prius' on the road!! The consumer knows that Toyota was accountable, they stepped up, 'fixed' the problem, making the car safe and have never looked back. HTC can learn from success stories similar to this! We're counting on them!

Awesome! Best of luck Poongash, and I hope the issue gets some light.

I was almost sold on the phone until seeing the lens issue, and have been going through this thread trying to figure out if it was a certain batch or what. I am a Tmobile customer and if it's just the TMobile phones that are effected, I might not buy one.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
camera glass, crack

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)