FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] The Generic SD Issue (READ FIRST)

410 posts
Thanks Meter: 340

By KingAmir, Senior Member on 29th September 2012, 10:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th June 2013, 01:16 PM |#51  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Need to add one more to your list OP. This is one that bit me in the ass the last time I tried to move to CM 10.1

Format incompatibility. CM 10.1 does not support the exFAT or NTFS filesystems required to make effective use of SDCards >32GB.

Let me explain:

SDXC MicrosSD cards now come in capacities over 64GB and, as shipped, phones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 supports them in hardware and software.

Capacities of over 32GB are very trouble-prone when using the mroe common FAT32 file system found on lower capacity SDcards. Worse, Windows absolutely refuses to format a +64GB SDCard to FAT32. Samsung (and I am sure other vendors that support 64GB SDCards) have licensed Microsoft's exFAT filesystem to legally provide support for exFAT. However CyanogenMod does not have this licensing in place and Google does nto provide blanket licensing for it.

This is a royal pain to those of us that have a 64GB SDCard in our Sammy GS4s, but want to move to SM10.1 or related rom. This leaves either reformatting your +64GB SDCard as FAT32 using a third party utility OR downsizing to a 32GB SDCard if you want to run anything except the bloated, OEM-branded, as-shipped ROM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penguinjoe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift penguinjoe Ad-Free

10th June 2013, 07:45 PM |#52  
Thanks Meter: 73

More
64GB SDXC MicrosSD sporadically unavailable
I have a sporadically unavailable 64GB SanDisk SDXC MicrosSD. Generally, when it becomes unavailable, that is, when the phone is unable to "see" the card or its contents, restarting the phone again makes it available. But sooner or later it again becomes unavailable.

I tried wiping the card with a microfiber cloth. When I reinserted it in my phone, it wasn't seen. Restarting the phone made it available.

My phone is a Galaxy S3 running Stockorama version2 with 4.1.2. The same problem existed, however, on my previous ROM.
11th June 2013, 01:04 AM |#53  
New York
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftone

This thread has been created to address the hundreds of "Ma SD Don't Work" Threads spawned in the Accessories forum. After seeing and answering many of these, I though it would be appropriate to simply create a thread for this.

Almost 80% of all of these defective SD card threads have common solutions. I will list these below.

1) A corrupt SD card:

2) Dirty Contacts:

3) Corrupt Data:

4) Casing:

5) The "Write Protected" Issue

Please hit thanks if you found this useful.
Please read this before posting another SD thread.

If any further help is required, please leave it down below.

EDIT: Thanks to Cooleagle for making this a sticky. Because of the stick, many more people will see this first and not have to create a thread.

Could read anywhere here is this issue was covered, i dropped my galaxy, phone suffered no scratches but SD card is unreadable now. I tried it in my laptop as well an still unreadable... any assistance much appreciated, thanks
12th June 2013, 02:38 PM |#54  
Flag Pasuruan
Thanks Meter: 441

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinjoe

Need to add one more to your list OP. This is one that bit me in the ass the last time I tried to move to CM 10.1

Format incompatibility. CM 10.1 does not support the exFAT or NTFS filesystems required to make effective use of SDCards >32GB.

Let me explain:

SDXC MicrosSD cards now come in capacities over 64GB and, as shipped, phones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 supports them in hardware and software.

Capacities of over 32GB are very trouble-prone when using the mroe common FAT32 file system found on lower capacity SDcards. Worse, Windows absolutely refuses to format a +64GB SDCard to FAT32. Samsung (and I am sure other vendors that support 64GB SDCards) have licensed Microsoft's exFAT filesystem to legally provide support for exFAT. However CyanogenMod does not have this licensing in place and Google does nto provide blanket licensing for it.

This is a royal pain to those of us that have a 64GB SDCard in our Sammy GS4s, but want to move to SM10.1 or related rom. This leaves either reformatting your +64GB SDCard as FAT32 using a third party utility OR downsizing to a 32GB SDCard if you want to run anything except the bloated, OEM-branded, as-shipped ROM.

You can use SD Association's SDFormatter to format your SDCard to it's "factory state"
The Following User Says Thank You to awaaas For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift awaaas Ad-Free
19th June 2013, 08:01 PM |#55  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
so useful I had kept a broken SD card that contains some important info, see if this guide might help me bring it back
23rd June 2013, 05:54 AM |#56  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
number 4 o.o
24th June 2013, 11:45 AM |#57  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 224

More
It's worth a try.
Ok so this may get long winded but stay with it, it may be worth it.
I had 3 x 32gig cards 'fail' and I thought this can't be right. I noticed that sometimes when I rebooted the phone the SD would be OK and then a short time after the phone would say it couldn't see it again and it needed to be reformated. So it was intermittant. Even in the PC it would sometimes be seen and other times not. So I started to look for a pattern. The SD started out fine until I put them in the PC to transfere data files music etc. A short time after that they would start to play up and 'fail' saying they needed to be reformated when back in the phone. But as mentioned I could sometimes get them to work again. If you have exprience this type of behaviour try the following.
Keep trying to put the SD into a PC until it does read, I had to use different usb slots with an adapter but eventually they do read, then back it up. Then reformat the SD using SD Formatter 4.0 at www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4
Then reload the SD with your backed up files. I had 3 x SD fail in 4 weeks. I used this method with 1 of the failed SD's and it has worked without issue for 3 months. I then did it to the other 2 SD's and have both of them running in my Note 10.1 and Acer 501. I suspect my issues were related to some structure change in the SD when I put them in the PC but I haven't had an issue since using this format tool. I don't know weather it is just pure luck but it did work for me.
Try it and see if it does help your issues, if so please just hit thanks - I would be interested to see how many had the same issues and this helped.
Thanks for reading.
26th June 2013, 09:32 PM |#58  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I have a unique issue ("unique" meaning that I can't find anything on it anywhere, but I'm probably not looking hard enough). I have a 32gb sandisk microsd, and I was using it in my tablet for a while before it suddenly unmounted. I put it in a reader for my computer, but it doesn't mount at all- doesn't even show up in disk management. The only thing keeping me from scrapping and saying "corrupt data" is that when I put it in my tablet (galaxy tab 2 plus) it says "sd card blank or has unsupported file system" and then unmounts the card. Same thing happens if I just hit "mount sd card" in the storage menu. My s3 is in the same boat as the computer, it does not see the card at all (or is unmounting the card faster than I can see). I have a good amount of data I would like, none life-threatening but I would like to fix this card if I can.
27th June 2013, 08:46 AM |#59  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Database
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftkatyowser

I have a unique issue... I would like to fix this card if I can.

It sounds like the disk has become partially corrupted. Your situation sounds like a good candidate for simple data recovery. My favourite apps are Lsoft's [email protected], Paragon's programs, and Easus's programs. There are also free programs, such as Recuva and PC INSPECTOR Smart Recovery. You can get them from MajorGeeks.
29th June 2013, 10:30 AM |#60  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Thanks

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk 4 Beta
4th July 2013, 04:21 PM |#61  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebDovid

I have a sporadically unavailable 64GB SanDisk SDXC MicrosSD. Generally, when it becomes unavailable, that is, when the phone is unable to "see" the card or its contents, restarting the phone again makes it available. But sooner or later it again becomes unavailable.

I tried wiping the card with a microfiber cloth. When I reinserted it in my phone, it wasn't seen. Restarting the phone made it available.

My phone is a Galaxy S3 running Stockorama version2 with 4.1.2. The same problem existed, however, on my previous ROM.

My experience with the 64gb cards, is i have to format the card on my computer, my phone wont even see it to format it. I have a mac, and formatted it in MS DOS (FAT-32 i believe)

Hope it helps
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
guide

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)