FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Compatibility with car charger on 1.5A and 5V

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By f4b1ck, Junior Member on 26th December 2010, 05:31 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,
a friend of mine have gifted to me a car charger that is incompatible with my Legend, because is miniusb (with output: 5V - 1.5A) and the regular charger in bundle with the phone is microusb with output: 5V - 1A.
Can I use the car charger, with a differte cable (the car charger can use usb cables), or the current in output is to much for the phone?

7th January 2011, 07:09 PM |#2  
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 208

More
It doesn't actually matter how powerful the PSU (power source unit) is, even if it was 5V / 10A you could still use it... To put it to easy talk, the phone will just take what it needs. The important parameter is Voltage, which is OK - 5V
2nd February 2011, 07:51 PM |#3  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Romca

It doesn't actually matter how powerful the PSU (power source unit) is, even if it was 5V / 10A you could still use it...

That's not quite true. The power does matter, but only in a limited way. The voltage (volts) must match. The current (amps) or power (watts) rating of the supply must be at least that which the device draws.

So in this case; yes, you are absolutely fine. You just need an adaptor to make the plug fit.

My work phone has a mini-USB socket, but requires 1.5A to charge successfully, which is three times as much as standard USB. My personal phone has the same socket, but will charge when connected to a conventional USB host like a laptop, which only supplies up to 0.5A. I can use any USB charger with my own phone, but I can only charge my work phone from its own charger.

Apparently I've not made enough posts to include links, but you can google "Charging Batteries Using USB Power - Maxim" and click on the first link, as long as you don't mind reading a moderately technical document.
6th February 2011, 05:07 PM |#4  
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 208

More
Don't nitpick I'm an engineer so I know how these things work end to end, If you have power and a good charger (not meaning the car charger, but the actual charging circuit handling the battery charging inside the phone) you can charge even from 5V / 200mA It'll just take more time, of course you'd have to add more than the phone consumpts, but if you do that you're basically OK...
What you're referring to is USB charging, we all know USB doesn't have to have full 5V but in case of charger, there will be 5V...(possibly even more when open)
31st March 2011, 12:20 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 15

Donate to Me
More
I have this car charger with 5V and 1000mAh

http://www.ansmann.de/cms/de/consumr...micro-usb.html

and i must say it is worse than the Original charger for the Wall outlet from HTC -- it takes about twice as long to charge the phone.
And when i use my phone for Navigation it even slowly discharges the phone - which is truly annoying!

EDIT:
I did some research: on original HTC Chargers the Data+ and Data- pins on the micro-USB-connector are short-circuited to tell the HTC-Phone that it connected to an original charger - only when the phone realizes this, it charges with 1000mA!!! Otherwise it only charges with the USB-specificated 500mA

You can easily check this when you charge your Phone with a 3rd-Party charger, go to:
Settings-> Telephone-Status -> Battery
Here is usually written charging (USB)
only with original chargers you get "charging" (AC)

I opened the connector of my Car-charger and short-circuited the Data+ and Data- --> Now it says charging (AC)
I still have to test if charges faster now, and charges the phone while navigation - because until now it discharges while navigation, despite being connected to the Car-charger.

So to say it short: If you want to quickly charge your phone in your car buy a original HTC Car charger, or short-circuit a 3rd-Party one.
14th December 2012, 09:56 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Storage
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4b1ck

Hi,
a friend of mine have gifted to me a car charger that is incompatible with my Legend, because is miniusb (with output: 5V - 1.5A) and the regular charger in bundle with the phone is microusb with output: 5V - 1A.
Can I use the car charger, with a differte cable (the car charger can use usb cables), or the current in output is to much for the phone?

don't worry you can charge your phone with no problem
i have the same 5V 1.2 A ,it's charging with no problem
20th June 2013, 06:12 PM |#7  
Flag Wien
Thanks Meter: 5

More
It's good to have stornger charger. Probably you wil be able to charge your phone faster But it always have to be 5V.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)