[REPAIR] HTC Desire Z bad keyboard contacts WITH PHOTOS

Search This thread

XCT

Mar 15, 2012
Bucharest
Hi

Good news , you don't have to take it apart or touch any screw, you can fix it even with phone working.. :D
But watch out for the adhesive between layers not to get on actual contacts.
I have got adhesive on contacts and i had to dissasemble the phone, isolate the keyboard and clean all adhesive with isopropyl alcohol. Lucky me. :)

This guide will cover following problems when pressing the keys:
The key needs to be pressed hard to register
The key doesn't register at all
The key registers two times when pressed hard

You will need a sharp knife.

The problem does not come from dust.

Gently remove the black cover starting ftom right , near that charging port
7cie.jpg

This is what you get
tq5e.jpg

Gently remove this Layer
lu4t.jpg

Now watch out for this flex that goes under the contacts
Edit: this flex does not seem to affect kb functionaity but leave it there just in case
zq2v.jpg

8mps.jpg

And remove this layer----this has the actual problem
6wgq.jpg

Now you will see 4 heads in the middle of the metal part that is actually touching the contacts
la7d.jpg

With a sharp knife press on the center of the metal part to make a small pit/cavity, something like those 4 pits/cavity, but NOT an actual hole.
WARNING dont do this on the phone, this layer must be removed from the phone.
uity.jpg

Now you will see that the metal part tends to stay pressed, now you come from behind an do the same until it comes FIRMLY back
Also don't abuse that methal part because in the end the key feedback may differ from other keys.
la7d.jpg

Now put everything back watching for this flex
Edit: the flexible tab seems to have all the keys connected and i think it has ground (negative polarity) on it to help on key press,
like the situation when that metal touchs only the centre flex contact.
8mps.jpg

And you should have a perfectly functional key
It might be harder to press, so press once harder and it will level out with other keys.

But.. if u are some of those lucky enough to really mess up that metal part you can always
1.Switch metal parts with keys that you never use.. like menu or search or sym.. there must be one that you didn't touch in the last month. :))
2.Borrow that part from retired phones like i did in the following photos
ittf.jpg

ezaz.jpg

ieei.jpg

In the last image you can see clearly that i cut that thing from htc vox's keyboard and i glued it there with paper glue
Paper glue will do the job, don't try with poxipol or other hard adhesives for metal wood or anything like that.
Now the key must have the good old feedback.

if the black rubber does not stick or even falls off you can put paper glue on the left and right of all the keys (those two big empty spaces on sides) between al layers,

After i used all those methods i really recommend the last two ones (switch or replace) because it's quite hard to make it have perfect feedback and last for a good amount of time with that feedback.

Dont forget to thank if i helped you .

I attached the images in case they are removed and also posted a link to dropbox below.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47380813/Keyboard fix by XCT.zip

Update:
you can take those metal clickers from pcb buttons too
qxQRJkt.jpg

Last edited:

MonkeySnot

Jun 22, 2011
Props very detailed guide! :good:
I've got no problems with my keyboard what so ever, but placed this post in my bookmarks just in case.

Reactions: XCT

oVeRdOsE.

Sep 19, 2011
MTL
Nice guide!

I had this problem twice.

It's related to humidity.

Both time, I had this issue after a trip to mexico. 60 to 80% HR, is way to high for this phone I guess.

Back to my place, the keyboard took few days to get working well again.

Same problem on my gf phone (motorola milestone)

XCT

Mar 15, 2012
Bucharest
Nice guide!

I had this problem twice.

It's related to humidity.

Both time, I had this issue after a trip to mexico. 60 to 80% HR, is way to high for this phone I guess.

Back to my place, the keyboard took few days to get working well again.

Same problem on my gf phone (motorola milestone)

i can't really explain myself how any humidity can get inside the keyboard where the contacts are made.
It's simply too well sealed.
I had a problem with E letter because since it's a vowel it's used most of the times especially in romanian.
And that metal thing got loose.

nz_

Nov 18, 2012
I have the same problem.
I'll try this out - I would normally take it for warranty repair, but I expect proving it malfunctioning might be a challenge - plus, I dropped it to concrete the other day and it's scratched so they will give me trouble if I take it like this.

XCT

Mar 15, 2012
Bucharest
I have the same problem.
I'll try this out - I would normally take it for warranty repair, but I expect proving it malfunctioning might be a challenge - plus, I dropped it to concrete the other day and it's scratched so they will give me trouble if I take it like this.

get it to warranty, i had a digitizer problem and earlier i dropped it on the pavement.
they repaired my phone and no one said anything. they even stated there that the phone was hit and guess what.. they changed my case too! :D

so if u have the warranty, it's worth a try.

nz_

Nov 18, 2012
In that case, I'll give it a shot.
It fell and got scratched pretty nasty in the corner, so I do expect problems, but we'll see :)

OzgurAda

Aug 23, 2013
Kusadasi
Thanks for the tutorial. It helped me fix my 'E' button.
the flexi spreads the background lights to the other buttons. So its better to replace the flexi when you are done with repairing.

Photopuppet

May 22, 2007
A quick note to give @XCT my greatest thanks for this procedure. It worked extremely successfully! The keyboard is actually more sensitive now than when it was new!

Here are some notes:

1) I found using sharp safety pin was best for releasing the keyboard surround without causing any cosmetic damage, and then lifting up with knife edge

2) I used some electrical contact cleaner/de-oxydiser with cotton bud to clean all the contact pads underneath and also the electrical pads on PCB.

3) The flexible tab in photo 6 doesn't affect the keyboard light at all. Be very careful to align the different layers when re-assembling keyboard otherwise the key illumination won't be completely correct.

4) When pressing the underside contacts (the ones that touch PCB), just give a quick but firm press on the centre of each with your sharp knife tip. I found doing this on flexible magazine was best!

Reactions: XCT

XCT

Mar 15, 2012
Bucharest
A quick note to give @XCT my greatest thanks for this procedure. It worked extremely successfully! The keyboard is actually more sensitive now than when it was new!

Here are some notes:

1) I found using sharp safety pin was best for releasing the keyboard surround without causing any cosmetic damage, and then lifting up with knife edge

2) I used some electrical contact cleaner/de-oxydiser with cotton bud to clean all the contact pads underneath and also the electrical pads on PCB.

3) The flexible tab in photo 6 doesn't affect the keyboard light at all. Be very careful to align the different layers when re-assembling keyboard otherwise the key illumination won't be completely correct.

4) When pressing the underside contacts (the ones that touch PCB), just give a quick but firm press on the centre of each with your sharp knife tip. I found doing this on flexible magazine was best!
you're welcome! :D

the flexible tab seems to have all the keys connected and i think it has ground (negative polarity) on it to help on key press,

Last edited:

Pea.

Oct 7, 2013
Thank you XCT.
I was searching the internet for a new keyboard, but your guide fixed it alright. It's not as responsive as a new one, but it works way better than before.

XCT

Mar 15, 2012
Bucharest
Thank you @xtc, thank you, thank you!
My keyboard is fine now :D
I'm glad i did help you :D

Thank you XCT.
I was searching the internet for a new keyboard, but your guide fixed it alright. It's not as responsive as a new one, but it works way better than before.

Try to take that metal part from another old phone. I've been in the same situation like you and i was thinking to switch that metal part from another key that i haven't been using, like sym or menu or search key (that is an option too if you really don't have another phone around) but i took it from a htc vox and it happend to be the same shape and feel.

Never settle for less.

arunal_123

Oct 2, 2012
Thanks for the lovely guide.
Mine (a e k) were not working properly. Especially key k needed to be pressed twice. And e and a used to get double by itself. But now with this guide, i have repaired them.
Thanks... Even writing this post with my DZ keyboard. ;)

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda app-developers app

daimyorl

Jun 6, 2013
Thank you very much!

I also have problems with the letter e and started using less and less the physical keyboard.
Now it's working perfectly :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi

Good news , you don't have to take it apart or touch any screw, you can fix it even with phone working.. :D
    But watch out for the adhesive between layers not to get on actual contacts.
    I have got adhesive on contacts and i had to dissasemble the phone, isolate the keyboard and clean all adhesive with isopropyl alcohol. Lucky me. :)

This guide will cover following problems when pressing the keys:
    The key needs to be pressed hard to register
    The key doesn't register at all
    The key registers two times when pressed hard

You will need a sharp knife.

The problem does not come from dust.

Gently remove the black cover starting ftom right , near that charging port
    7cie.jpg

This is what you get
    tq5e.jpg

Gently remove this Layer
    lu4t.jpg

Now watch out for this flex that goes under the contacts
    Edit: this flex does not seem to affect kb functionaity but leave it there just in case
    zq2v.jpg

8mps.jpg

And remove this layer----this has the actual problem
    6wgq.jpg

Now you will see 4 heads in the middle of the metal part that is actually touching the contacts
    la7d.jpg

With a sharp knife press on the center of the metal part to make a small pit/cavity, something like those 4 pits/cavity, but NOT an actual hole.
    WARNING dont do this on the phone, this layer must be removed from the phone.
    uity.jpg

Now you will see that the metal part tends to stay pressed, now you come from behind an do the same until it comes FIRMLY back
    Also don't abuse that methal part because in the end the key feedback may differ from other keys.
    la7d.jpg

Now put everything back watching for this flex
    Edit: the flexible tab seems to have all the keys connected and i think it has ground (negative polarity) on it to help on key press,
    8mps.jpg

And you should have a perfectly functional key
    It might be harder to press, so press once harder and it will level out with other keys.

But.. if u are some of those lucky enough to really mess up that metal part you can always
    1.Switch metal parts with keys that you never use.. like menu or search or sym.. there must be one that you didn't touch in the last month. :))
    2.Borrow that part from retired phones like i did in the following photos
    ittf.jpg

ezaz.jpg

ieei.jpg

In the last image you can see clearly that i cut that thing from htc vox's keyboard and i glued it there with paper glue
    Paper glue will do the job, don't try with poxipol or other hard adhesives for metal wood or anything like that.
    Now the key must have the good old feedback.

if the black rubber does not stick or even falls off you can put paper glue on the left and right of all the keys (those two big empty spaces on sides) between al layers,

After i used all those methods i really recommend the last two ones (switch or replace) because it's quite hard to make it have perfect feedback and last for a good amount of time with that feedback.

Dont forget to thank if i helped you .

I attached the images in case they are removed and also posted a link to dropbox below.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47380813/Keyboard fix by XCT.zip

Update:
    you can take those metal clickers from pcb buttons too
    qxQRJkt.jpg
    Props very detailed guide! :good:
    I've got no problems with my keyboard what so ever, but placed this post in my bookmarks just in case.
    It worked!
    Thank you very much.. (but I still have ordered a new phone :D )
    Thanks for the tutorial. It helped me fix my 'E' button.
    the flexi spreads the background lights to the other buttons. So its better to replace the flexi when you are done with repairing.

you must have two left hands if you've done that...
    edit:uhm sorry i missunderstood that u messed that phone

Here are some notes: