[Q] Unlocked bootloader for E617G?

Search This thread

Skellums

Mar 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Hi all,

I was following the "main thread" a while ago before these phones had their own section, but hadn't checked for updates since early to mid January (before the bootloader was unlocked). Now I see that it's unlocked, there is unfortunately no support for the Canadian (Bell) variant, the E617G.

I extracted the bootloader from my wife's phone and did a binary comprison to the various unlocked bootloaders for the E610, 612 and 615 and it's almost identical byte for byte to the E610. Aside from the edited messages and the tail end of the files where the checks appear to be located, there is one location (byte 0xB476) that is different.

I'm not really experienced in this sort of work, but could that one byte be what's causing the random reboots for the E617 variants? Before I try truncating the file I extracted to removed what appears to be the secure checks and flashing it, does anybody have any other reasons why the E617 has been "left out in the cold"?

I've attached some screenshots of the comparison to the E610 emmc_appsboot.bin

First Difference

Differences in Messages

Apparent Secure Checks?

In the 3rd screenshot, you can see in the E610 file, after 0x40F07 the file is blank, but in mine the file continues on (it's 4MB of null padding by the looks of it).

KingDaedrix

Jun 21, 2013
Hi all,

I was following the "main thread" a while ago before these phones had their own section, but hadn't checked for updates since early to mid January (before the bootloader was unlocked). Now I see that it's unlocked, there is unfortunately no support for the Canadian (Bell) variant, the E617G.

I extracted the bootloader from my wife's phone and did a binary comprison to the various unlocked bootloaders for the E610, 612 and 615 and it's almost identical byte for byte to the E610. Aside from the edited messages and the tail end of the files where the checks appear to be located, there is one location (byte 0xB476) that is different.

I'm not really experienced in this sort of work, but could that one byte be what's causing the random reboots for the E617 variants? Before I try truncating the file I extracted to removed what appears to be the secure checks and flashing it, does anybody have any other reasons why the E617 has been "left out in the cold"?

I've attached some screenshots of the comparison to the E610 emmc_appsboot.bin

First Difference

Differences in Messages

Apparent Secure Checks?

In the 3rd screenshot, you can see in the E610 file, after 0x40F07 the file is blank, but in mine the file continues on (it's 4MB of null padding by the looks of it).

Hey, I have the E617-G too and I'm looking for a way to unlock the bootloader. have you made any progress on doing it? I would forever be in debt to you if you did hahahahh!

Skellums

Mar 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Hey, I have the E617-G too and I'm looking for a way to unlock the bootloader. have you made any progress on doing it? I would forever be in debt to you if you did hahahahh!

Sorry for the lack of reply, I've been busy for the past few weeks!

I went ahead and truncated the backup I made, and changed the one byte that was different... So far I haven't had any problems. I was able to flash the recovery image and make a CWM backup.

I made a few other slight modifications (changed the messages in the file, from "Russia" to "Canada" :p), but other than that the files are identical.

I've attached my modified file if you want to give it a go. The instructions are the same as the other unlock instructions here.

Make sure you don't skip making a backup just in case!!!

As usual with things of this nature: I claim no resposibility for any damage to your phone, loss of data, etc!! Flash at your own risk!

All credit to the original devs of the unlock, fix is the same, just different source files were used.

Attachments

• emmc_appsboot_617_truncated.zip
    155.5 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:

KingDaedrix

Jun 21, 2013

I went ahead and truncated the backup I made, and changed the one byte that was different... So far I haven't had any problems. I was able to flash the recovery image and make a CWM backup.

I made a few other slight modifications (changed the messages in the file, from "Russia" to "Canada" :p), but other than that the files are identical.

I've attached my modified file if you want to give it a go. The instructions are the same as the other unlock instructions here.

As usual with things of this nature: I claim no resposibility for any damage to your phone, loss of data, etc!! Flash at your own risk!

thanks a lot! I was looking to put a Windows Phone 7 ROM on it, is that possible? Sorry, I'm kind of a noob with phones, more into building computers and such.

Skellums

Mar 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
thanks a lot! I was looking to put a Windows Phone 7 ROM on it, is that possible? Sorry, I'm kind of a noob with phones, more into building computers and such.

Unfortunately no. Windows Phone 7 is not open source so there is no easy/legal way to port the OS over. There are launchers that have been made so the Android interface mimics Windows Phone 7, but it's still Android running under the hood.

ris066

Aug 4, 2013
Help!

I have followed the instruction you posted but i still cant boot into recovery. I have used adb command reboot bootloader and it gets stuck on a black and white screen tht says fastboot processing.
I am not sure if there something wrong with my device. :confused:

KingDaedrix

Jun 21, 2013
Thanks!

Me again, just replying to confirm that following the steps posted I successfully unlocked the bootloader of the phone. Not very much use however as there is very few ROMs for the model. Thanks a lot though OP!

BuffMcBigHuge

May 31, 2012
Canada
I also successfully unlocked the bootloader using your binary. Thank you!

I wrote an article here on getting it all running with CM10.1 on the L5 E617G!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

All credit to the original devs of the unlock, fix is the same, just different source files were used.