Best protection for least bulk

Search This thread

reaeg

Jan 22, 2009
I'm looking for a good bumper, not a full case, just a bumper. I think that's the best balance of drop protection for added bulk.

My reasoning is that if I drop my phone, the most likely thing to break (and most expensive to fix) will be the screen. Even in high-performance cases like the Otterbox Commuter, the only thing protecting the screen is the lip. I don't care about all that protection on the back of the phone; I can easily replace the battery cover if it gets damaged and if a lip is good enough to protect the screen, it should be good enough to protect the back.

This leads me to think that the most important part of drop-protection is the lip and a high-quality bumper with a good, thick, shock-absorbent lip will have the best drop-protection/bulk ratio. I think it would give much better protection than the thin cases with minimal lips like the SGP Slim Armor.

Are there any bumpers like that out there? What does everyone recommend? Right now I'm leaning toward getting the Roocase Bumper and adding a high-quality battery cover like oddspec did here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42813168#post42813168

I've seen a lot of posts about aluminum bumpers but it seems to me that they wouldn't add any screen protection. If your phone falls face-down, the screen will just slam against the hard aluminum which isn't an improvement. Can someone with one comment?

I'm interested in any comments on my thinking as well as bumper recommendations. I used an Otterbox Commuter on my last phone and it works very well but after staring at it, I can't help thinking that there's a more efficient way to get the actual level of protection I need.

Thanks, everyone.

flipq88

Aug 11, 2011
I always recommend the UAG case, it's not bulky and it is great for protection. I've dropped my S4 so many times and not a scratch on it.

Sent from Flip's Galaxy S4

valentinrascu

Jan 10, 2011
I dropped my phone from 1meter on concrete, and is fine.. I use aluminium bumper only. The bumper is scratch, but not deformed. Look my treed

Reactions: jmackr13

reaeg

Jan 22, 2009
I dropped my phone from 1meter on concrete, and is fine.. I use aluminium bumper only. The bumper is scratch, but not deformed. Look my treed

I saw your review, thanks for the reply. Is there any kind of soft buffer material between the aluminum part of the bumper and the screen?

I see in the pictures that there's a rubber looking material inside the bulk of the bumper but it looks like the glass rests directly against aluminum.

reaeg

Jan 22, 2009
I always recommend the UAG case, it's not bulky and it is great for protection. I've dropped my S4 so many times and not a scratch on it.

Sent from Flip's Galaxy S4

I appreciate the response but I'm looking for just a bumper unless someone can give a strong argument that a full case will protect the *screen* better.

fritobandito86

Mar 8, 2011
UAG all day. Bumpers imo make the phone feel way too wide. They also tend to tear at the charging ports when there is less material. So that leaves aluminum bumpers only. Curious about how much weight a metal bumper would add.... Uag is feather light.

Xcor3

Aug 14, 2010
UAG all day. Bumpers imo make the phone feel way too wide. They also tend to tear at the charging ports when there is less material. So that leaves aluminum bumpers only. Curious about how much weight a metal bumper would add.... Uag is feather light.

It depends on which bumper you get.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Shug69

Jun 18, 2012
Might want to look at Tech21's D30 mesh case. They've some quite impressive videos on YouTube.

reaeg

Jan 22, 2009

What bumpers have used that are wider than a full on case?

sn707

Oct 25, 2007
Oregon
www.sn7.smugmug.com
Another vote for UAG case. I have had a number of them and they are excellent. I have the white one on my S4 now. I also have a glas.t screen protector on so short of falling in water it is very rugged but still slim.

reaeg

Jan 22, 2009
Another vote for UAG case. I have had a number of them and they are excellent. I have the white one on my S4 now. I also have a glas.t screen protector on so short of falling in water it is very rugged but still slim.

How much impact protection do the glass screen protectors give?

ballu84

Jul 31, 2008
Diztronic case. No bulk and great feel

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Well the UAG case has a lip to protect the screen so that helps. I think the Glas.t would crack but save the screen. I have the Glas.t slim and it is a real joy to use.

I've been using their new nano glass protector and its awesome

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

icevapor

Jul 1, 2007
How much impact protection do the glass screen protectors give?

I would a little bit, but not a lot. Think about the karate guy that breaks boards... He hits hard, they all break. He hits not quite as hard... and breaks only 3 of the 5 boards.... you get the idea. The difference is the screen cover "board" is very thin.

valentinrascu

Jan 10, 2011
I saw your review, thanks for the reply. Is there any kind of soft buffer material between the aluminum part of the bumper and the screen?

I see in the pictures that there's a rubber looking material inside the bulk of the bumper but it looks like the glass rests directly against aluminum.

Yes, the glass touch the aluminum bumper. I isolated with neoprene tape.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I personally like my ballistic case!

2e9ybera.jpg
    ebademaj.jpg

e4ezumyt.jpg

Great case, and its name brand if you care about that lol!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C7ENKXG/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1372490197&sr=8-6&pi=SL75

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2