FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] MTK GPS and EPO solution

11 posts
Thanks Meter: 1
 
By zvikagol, Junior Member on 25th June 2013, 05:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I wonder when someone will ever find a real solid solution to the MTK GPS issues.
I think i have tried any possible solution out there. I went over any possible internet forum and site. Really.
I have EPO enabled with automatic download. I have AGPS enabled. I used FasterGPS, GPS test, GPS status and all other kinds of similar applications. I have rooted my device, tried endless settings in the gps.conf file, etc
I have Star N9500 device.
Its not that i do not have a GPS reception. I do !!!!
And i can also use maps navigation quite well !!!
The only problem is that in order to get a fix on satellites in a reasonable time i always have to go into engineering mode -> YGPS -> Information and download full EPO. Only by doing that, i can get a normal TTFF time and get back to the navigation application. Otherwise, the navigation application (like Waze) never succeed to get a fix by its own (at least not before 10 minutes are past).
I have noticed that in engineering mode->Location Based Service->EPO there is a parameter called "Update Period Setting". Its default value is set to 21600 minutes. I don't know if it is relevant, but i tried to set it to lower value like 360 minutes, but it keeps on returning to the default after restart the device. Does someone know how to make the value permanent? Is it relevant at all?
HELP please. I am starting to give up
Thanks
 
 
26th June 2013, 05:45 AM |#2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Anyone. Please help
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvikagol

I wonder when someone will ever find a real solid solution to the MTK GPS issues.
I think i have tried any possible solution out there. I went over any possible internet forum and site. Really.
I have EPO enabled with automatic download. I have AGPS enabled. I used FasterGPS, GPS test, GPS status and all other kinds of similar applications. I have rooted my device, tried endless settings in the gps.conf file, etc
I have Star N9500 device.
Its not that i do not have a GPS reception. I do !!!!
And i can also use maps navigation quite well !!!
The only problem is that in order to get a fix on satellites in a reasonable time i always have to go into engineering mode -> YGPS -> Information and download full EPO. Only by doing that, i can get a normal TTFF time and get back to the navigation application. Otherwise, the navigation application (like Waze) never succeed to get a fix by its own (at least not before 10 minutes are past).
I have noticed that in engineering mode->Location Based Service->EPO there is a parameter called "Update Period Setting". Its default value is set to 21600 minutes. I don't know if it is relevant, but i tried to set it to lower value like 360 minutes, but it keeps on returning to the default after restart the device. Does someone know how to make the value permanent? Is it relevant at all?
HELP please. I am starting to give up
Thanks

Anyone? Please?
5th July 2013, 05:57 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag On the banks of the river Maas
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvikagol

Anyone? Please?

check this:
http://chinaphonearena.com/forum/Thr...rking-Method-B
The Following User Says Thank You to intrax For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift intrax Ad-Free
11th December 2013, 07:22 AM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Question Still no luck with GPS in a116 CHD
First of all, thanks for the link. Tried all possible solutions suggested here. Still GPS in my CHD A116 is not fixing. It never got fixed in my phone. using the phone for more than 6 months. Installed 4.2.1 Stock ROM, Canvas 4 ROM and now this Turbo ROM.

Tried MTK Tools > Engineer Mode...tried EPO download, Faster GPS app, editing the gpsconfig file...etc., no luck yet ...

I am happy for the people it is working... Shall I reflash the ROM and try??? Is it an option???

Or Is there any patch for GPS fix issue? Will try to upload few screenshots of whatever I tried soon.

Dev's pls help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131211121616.jpeg
Views:	3653
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	2447585

Click image for larger version

Name:	gps config file content - 20131211001003.jpg
Views:	3587
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	2447586

Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS COnfig file permissions - 20131211001056.jpg
Views:	3233
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	2447587

Click image for larger version

Name:	Searchning for GPS indefinitely - 20131211000649.jpeg
Views:	2907
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	2447588


Quote:
Originally Posted by intrax

check this:
http://chinaphonearena.com/forum/Thr...rking-Method-B

27th December 2013, 05:40 PM |#5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spljoe

First of all, thanks for the link. Tried all possible solutions suggested here. Still GPS in my CHD A116 is not fixing. It never got fixed in my phone. using the phone for more than 6 months. Installed 4.2.1 Stock ROM, Canvas 4 ROM and now this Turbo ROM.

Tried MTK Tools > Engineer Mode...tried EPO download, Faster GPS app, editing the gpsconfig file...etc., no luck yet ...

I am happy for the people it is working... Shall I reflash the ROM and try??? Is it an option???

Or Is there any patch for GPS fix issue? Will try to upload few screenshots of whatever I tried soon.

Dev's pls help.

Attachment 2447585

Attachment 2447586

Attachment 2447587

Attachment 2447588

Hi,
I own a B94m phone with mtk6589. I get pretty fast fixes by clearing AGPS data by gps test app. My problem is that navigation apps get a "jumping" position between correct location and some meters aside, recalculating the routes very often...
Sometime Waze seems to work properly, sometime it doesn't.
Google maps navigation never works correctly.
Someone suggests Sygic, but I don't wanna pay for it...
13th January 2014, 03:43 AM |#6  
Junior Member
Flag Dayton, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Question GPS for No.1 N3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradstallion

Hi,
I own a B94m phone with mtk6589. I get pretty fast fixes by clearing AGPS data by gps test app. My problem is that navigation apps get a "jumping" position between correct location and some meters aside, recalculating the routes very often...
Sometime Waze seems to work properly, sometime it doesn't.
Google maps navigation never works correctly.
Someone suggests Sygic, but I don't wanna pay for it...

any word on why the epo file won't download?
13th January 2014, 08:38 AM |#7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachThomHayes

any word on why the epo file won't download?

I don't have such problem
16th January 2014, 01:16 AM |#8  
Member
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 4
 
Donate to Me
More
gpd.conf and EPO dowload method does not work for me. My phone is HDC N9006 Note3 clone with MTK6589. I'm thinking maybe poor antenna design or they don't even put antenna to safe cost. Anyone know how the gps antena looklike and located in HDC note3 clone?
21st January 2014, 03:08 PM |#9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
finally got mine working
Hi guys i finally got my gps working properly when i first got the phone, it was terrible, all i did was download gps test clear the agps and wait, note: the fix in the image ive attached was in my car in a town centre, surrounded by buildings no data, or epo, agps etc just pure gps, guess i have a 1 in a 1000 device its a fienteng gtn9300 s3 clone mtk6577, let me know if i can help guys thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-20-14-28-21.png
Views:	1403
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	2530073  
5th May 2014, 12:17 AM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvikagol

I wonder when someone will ever find a real solid solution to the MTK GPS issues.
I think i have tried any possible solution out there. I went over any possible internet forum and site. Really.
I have EPO enabled with automatic download. I have AGPS enabled. I used FasterGPS, GPS test, GPS status and all other kinds of similar applications. I have rooted my device, tried endless settings in the gps.conf file, etc
I have Star N9500 device.
Its not that i do not have a GPS reception. I do !!!!
And i can also use maps navigation quite well !!!
The only problem is that in order to get a fix on satellites in a reasonable time i always have to go into engineering mode -> YGPS -> Information and download full EPO. Only by doing that, i can get a normal TTFF time and get back to the navigation application. Otherwise, the navigation application (like Waze) never succeed to get a fix by its own (at least not before 10 minutes are past).
I have noticed that in engineering mode->Location Based Service->EPO there is a parameter called "Update Period Setting". Its default value is set to 21600 minutes. I don't know if it is relevant, but i tried to set it to lower value like 360 minutes, but it keeps on returning to the default after restart the device. Does someone know how to make the value permanent? Is it relevant at all?
HELP please. I am starting to give up
Thanks

Here is the fix :

What you need is Mobileuncle mtk tools,root explorer,gps test download them from play store.
THIS SHOULD BE DONE OUTDOORS.

1. Turn GPS off on your phone.
2. Open Root Explorer and find the mtkgps.dat file in /data or /data/misc
3. Delete mtkgps.dat
4. Reboot phone
5. Open Mobileuncle Tools
6. Tap on 'Engineer Mode'
7. Tap on 'Engineer Mode (MTK)'
8. Scroll across to 'Location'
9. Tap on 'Location Based Service'
10. Tap on 'AGPS' and then make sure 'A-GPS On/Off' is checked
11. Tap on 'EPO' and then make sure 'Enable EPO' is checked
12. Swipe down (notification bar) and turn GPS on
13. Hit back and then tap 'YGPS'
14. Wait until you get position lock (mine took about 6 seconds).
15. This process should create a new mtkgps.dat file.
16. Hit home button and open GPS Test.
17. You should get a position lock reasonably quickly.

This works fine for me . You can enable or disable agps and epo in settings it does not matter but after this fix your gps should lock under 20 seconds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arrowblue For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Arrowblue Ad-Free
3rd September 2014, 08:07 AM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Worked perfectly !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowblue

Here is the fix :

What you need is Mobileuncle mtk tools,root explorer,gps test download them from play store.
THIS SHOULD BE DONE OUTDOORS.

1. Turn GPS off on your phone.
2. Open Root Explorer and find the mtkgps.dat file in /data or /data/misc
3. Delete mtkgps.dat
4. Reboot phone
5. Open Mobileuncle Tools
6. Tap on 'Engineer Mode'
7. Tap on 'Engineer Mode (MTK)'
8. Scroll across to 'Location'
9. Tap on 'Location Based Service'
10. Tap on 'AGPS' and then make sure 'A-GPS On/Off' is checked
11. Tap on 'EPO' and then make sure 'Enable EPO' is checked
12. Swipe down (notification bar) and turn GPS on
13. Hit back and then tap 'YGPS'
14. Wait until you get position lock (mine took about 6 seconds).
15. This process should create a new mtkgps.dat file.
16. Hit home button and open GPS Test.
17. You should get a position lock reasonably quickly.

This works fine for me . You can enable or disable agps and epo in settings it does not matter but after this fix your gps should lock under 20 seconds.

Man You saved me and my PHONE. many greetings to YOU !
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes