By sauprankul, Senior Member on 12th June 2013, 06:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st June 2013, 01:56 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 345

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauprankul

OK just a quick comprehension check (for me):
Wimax has been dropped and all Wimax towers will soon be converted to LTE. Is this correct?

Sprint currently uses the 1900 MHz freq for LTE, and the One uses that. Can anybody comment as to how much progress the rollout of 1900 LTE has made?

Sprint is just starting to roll out 800 LTE, which offers better signal strength and building penetration. However, the One will not be able to use this band, ever, because of the hardware. Widespread 800 LTE coverage isn't expected until most of our contracts are up, so this shouldn't matter. Is this correct?

I've heard of Sprint's upcoming "tri-band" devices. These are supposed to use 800, 1900 and 2500 MHz frequencies for LTE. Does that mean our phones will be significantly outdated by the end of this year?

Please excuse my ignorance.

Sprint's statement is that they will not dismantle the WiMax network... They did the Vision upgrade which means they can run WiMax and LTE out of the same system without any major changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayTrue04

That statement about Wimax not being 4G is very inaccurate. Both Wimax and LTE are 4G but only meet 4G requirements in their second forms, (Wimax 2 (802.16m) and LTE Advanced). To me Wimax honestly had potential but the crappy frequency they chose to deploy it in established an early death. The 2.5 band is the reason 4G was always looking for signal causing extreme battery loss. If I'm not mistaken I think Wimax 2 can actually be a bit faster than LTE Advanced, at least that's what I remember reading back then..

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

The problem was, Sprint deployed (along with clearwire) 802.16e which isn't ment for moving systems. It is suppose to be competition with other broadband home/business providers....
WiMAX was never ment for mobile phones... Mobile Wimax Release 2 (802.16m) was... but it wasn't ratified until 2011...

- Got that this week while traveling 70 mph on the Florida Turnpike.
The Following User Says Thank You to numus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift numus Ad-Free
22nd June 2013, 04:10 PM |#42  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Cleveland, OH
Thanks Meter: 2,646

Donate to Me
More
I live in a good wimax area, when I was with sprint I never used it. The signal dropped if you looked at the device funny and it ate battery if it wasn't connected to wimax. Not sure what sprint was really thinking.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
25th June 2013, 06:36 PM |#43  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I hope they keep Wimax to lessen the load on LTE if it were to ever get deployed here in Sacramento.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)