Easy guide to twrp and 2nd bootloader

Search This thread

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
Hello all!

Do you want TWRP, a 2nd bootloader, and custom roms at your fingertips for your Kindle Fire HD? Well you have come to the right place! Over the past months, through trial and error, I've managed a full-proof, easy method to unlock the Kindle Fire HD's true potential. While this is aimed at 7" devices, it should work no problem on the 8.9 either - however you will have to use your head. These instructions are geared towards the 7", and you will have to realize what changes to this blueprint you personally will need to make with the 8.9.

!WARNING! WHILE THIS HAS WORKED FOR ME ON MULTIPLE DEVICES, YOU MUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY. I PERSONALLY SUGGEST YOU FIRST BUY A SkOrPn FACTORY CABLE IN CASE ANYTHING GOES WRONG. (Although using this guide, it almost certainly will not. Still, those cables come in handy!! :good:

Also, I would like to point everyone to seokhun's thread on this matter, which came before my own: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2271909

BIG thanks to LinearEquation for helping maintain this thread. Trust any advice he gives; it WILL help! :thumbup:

Although our posts on this process are essentially similar, he goes far more in depth on the process, and has an excellent troubleshooting section if something here goes wrong for you and I cannot respond to your question soon enough (although if done right, that won't happen :p)

Ok. Lets begin!

Step One: Download Kindle Fire First Aide, an amazing tool which is only getting better: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

This is probably the most work-intensive step, although once you have it you'll be glad you do. You are to follow the directions on this thread and install the necessary files, and adb drivers. This is necessary for your KFHD7 to communicate with your computer properly. When finished, make sure your Kindle has ADB enabled under its device settings.

lets see if you're ready for step 2. Plug your kindle in and check your device manager. If your kindle fire shows up as "android adb interface" then you sir/ madam are ready. If not, please use the Kindle Fire First Aide (hereafter referred to as KFFA) thread to find out where you went wrong. The answer you seek will be there, I promise you.

Step Two: BACK UP ANY FILES/FOLDERS/MOVIES/ETC YOU WANT TO KEEP. STEP THREE WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE!

Step Three: Here, we are going to use KFFA to reset our device to 7.2.3. Make sure you have transferred any backups you have made to your computer. Run KFFA and select the option that reads "Reboot the Kindle into Fastboot Mode". At the time of this posting, there are two options to do this. Try the preferred option first, and if that doesn't work, try the alternative method. Alternatively, just plug your kindle in with a fastboot/factory cable to get it into fastboot. YOUR DEVICE MUST BE IN FASTBOOT MODE FOR THE NEXT STEP

Step Four: while in fastboot mode, in KFFA, use the option "COMPLETELY RESTORE THE KFHD7 7.2.3. This will take a while, and you will be prompted at certain points to continue. I usually chose not to wipe user data at the end, as for me at least it takes forever and shouldn't be necessary.

Step Five: While still in KFFA, Disable Amazon's OTA updates with the option provided. This is important - If an update sneaks by, you will have to start from scratch!

Once KFFA says it's finished, unplug your device and hold the power button to hard-reset it. Now boot it back on. Your kindle will now be stock 7.2.3, with google play and superuser installed, along with root permissions.

Step Six: Here we go! Download the provided FireFlash11.apk, kfhd7-Freedom-boot-7.3.0.img, and kfhd7-twrp 2.4.4.0-recovery.img to your computer. Connect your KFHD7, make sure you check "allow installations of unknown applications" on your kindle's options (they will have reset thanks to KFFA, don't forget), and go to either the amazon or google play marketplace and find a file browser you can use to navigate to your download folder. Find where you placed the FireFlash11.apk, open it, and install.

Step Seven: Almost there guys! Open up your new FireFlash app. The first thing you (should) notice is that there is a warning that you have the incorrect bootloader at this moment. Check the box that says "Flash kfhd7-u-boot-prod-7.2.3.bin. scroll to the bottom of the app, where it says "execute", and press "flash, install script". Exit the program and reboot your device.

Step Eight: Now that your kindle has rebooted, open up the FireFlash app again. This time, you should see no warnings at the bootloader. If for some reason you do, STOP and retrace your steps. If you see no warnings, we're ready to install the 2nd bootloader and TWRP!! While still in FireFlash, under "boot partition" it should say "not flashed". Click on the "not flashed", and navigate to the "kfhd7-Freedom-boot-7.3.0.img" that we downloaded earlier. Check the box next to "apply stack override".

Now, under "recovery partition", again select the "not flashed" box and navigate this time to the "kfhd7-twrp 2.4.4.0-recovery.img". Once in place, check the "disable recovery auto update" box to the right. Now scroll to the bottom, to where it says "execute", and tap "Flash, install script" just like we did before with the bootloader.

Thats it! Select "reboot into recovery" from the Fireflash app if you're still in it, and if you followed the instructions and put everything where it belongs, you should wind up in TWRP after your kindle reboot (dont worry if you see the blue kindle fire logo for a minute before it enters TWRP - it's completely normal. From here you can install custom roms, wipe your cache, and most importantly MAKE BACKUPS! :laugh:

ATM I am using Hashcode's CM10.1 with the 1.5 ghz kernal, with Nova Launcher Prime and LMT launcher. It's simply amazing the difference in both speed and functionality. Hopefully, this guide got you there and now you too can enjoy a fully unlocked Amazon Kindle Fire HD!

Here is a link to the page for Hashcode's CM10.1, If you want to give it a shot I highly recommend it!! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2245335

One last note. I want to make it clear that I have not personally developed any of these tools, I've just organized them for you. The real ones you want to be thanking if this works are the developers. Thanks Devs!! :good:

Attachments

• kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.3.0.img
    8 MB · Views: 1,513
  • kfhd7-twrp-2.4.4.0-recovery.img
    8 MB · Views: 1,503
  • fireflash11.apk
    314.9 KB · Views: 1,580
Last edited:

esema1o

Dec 12, 2010
Can u make video on youtube doing this plz thanks :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
Unfortunately, I lack the recording equipment or I would do so and link it. :confused: however, I promise if you follow the instructions closely, there should be no issues. And if for some reason you run into trouble, just post the problem and I'll do my best to walk you it. I realize there are other guides out there, but in my opinion this is currently the easiest one to get you through it. Good luck friend :)

Sent from my cm10.1 KFJD

Reactions: LinearEquation

seokhun

Feb 23, 2013
How is this different from my tutorial? I see you included KFFA, but other than that, same method, and you lack the troubleshooting portion as well as only promoting Hashcode's CM10.1.

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
How is this different from my tutorial? I see you included KFFA, but other than that, same method, and you lack the troubleshooting portion as well as only promoting Hashcode's CM10.1.

I wrote this tutorial as a newer method of achieving TWRP/2nd bootloader, as every OTA update amazon pushes out makes different root methods temporarily break/ ineffective, while this method SHOULD always remain consistent with the help of KFFA doing the rooting. However upon going back and looking over your thread again, I now realize there are quite a few similarities. I strived to simplify mine as much as possible, which is why I avoided the troubleshooting section and left explanations of the process to a minimum. As your guide is more in depth, I will edit my original post to include a link to yours as well should people want additional information/help. Please, don't look at this guide as an attempt to derail yours - rather as an attempt to simplify it even more. I apologize for not mentioning your thread in my original, that was an unfortunate oversight, and thank you for bringing it to my attention :good:

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
I will finally be doing a video this weekend if no one beats me to it got Saturday off thx open system to for the written tut as I do not have a lot of free time

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD 7

You're welcome! Good luck on the video, if you complete it and follow these steps to do so, feel free to post a link on here and I will include it in the main thread to help people who need the visual aid to really drive the idea home :)

fs1023

Opensystem

Brilliant!!

Had a look at your guide and thought why not...checked with Chris of KFFA about rooting KFHD 7 with 7.4.3 update, he gave me the 'fakebackup' file. Rooted with KFFA....followed EXACTLY from your step 6 to 8 and ATM doing a TWRP backup.

Fantastic job mate.

One question though. If I am going to put another ROM to KFHD7, do I need to do a full wipe (cache, factory, delvik) everytime before a flash install?

regards
fs1023

Reactions: Opensystem

seokhun

Feb 23, 2013
Opensystem

Brilliant!!

Had a look at your guide and thought why not...checked with Chris of KFFA about rooting KFHD 7 with 7.4.3 update, he gave me the 'fakebackup' file. Rooted with KFFA....followed EXACTLY from your step 6 to 8 and ATM doing a TWRP backup.

Fantastic job mate.

One question though. If I am going to put another ROM to KFHD7, do I need to do a full wipe (cache, factory, delvik) everytime before a flash install?

regards
fs1023

Check the bottom of my thread in my signature for instructions on installing a new ROM.

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
Opensystem

Brilliant!!

Fantastic job mate.

regards
fs1023

I'm delighted to hear that my guide helped you! And sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Seokhun seems to have managed to point you in the right direction, but in case anyone else needs an answer (or of course, you still do :)) you only need to fully wipe when going from one type of Rom to another (ie: from stock Amazon to cyanogenmod). This is known as a "clean flash". Otherwise, if say you are simply upgrading cyanogenmod or whatever Rom you're on to a new update, all you really need to do is a "dirty flash" - wipe delvik/cache and you're good to go!

More info on this can be found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1882629

Cheers!

Sent from my Android Kindle Fire HD 7 Running Cyanogenmod 10.1

galearned

Apr 6, 2012
Gainesville
Hashcode Stock OS Zips for 7" HD do not block OTA updates

awesome :) glad to hear it!

I thought I would post here my experience with the latest 7.4.6 Amazon update.
I placed the update on my HD7" and was able to update.
When I booted, 2nd Bootloader/LOG was gone.
I decided to try this again.

I rooted the tablet and used Fireflash to re-load 2ndbootloader using the 7.4.3 series of Hashcode files.
Once I was not able to boot up into the 7.4.6 OS because the 7.4.3 boot image is used for 2nd bootloader as I expected.
I had downloaded, the 7.4.3.zip stock OS to the sdcard originally so, it was still present locally.
I flashed the OS zip and I was back to 7.4.3.
I downloaded 7.4.6 again to the tablet and again was presented with the Bright update Kindle in "More+/Device/About".
After, the update, I was again without 2nd boot and unrooted.
Point though is the update should not occur if the zip OS was in fact blocking OTA updates.
Is the zip file supposed to have OTA blocked?
I used KFFA to block updates as a second test and once disabled with KFFA, the update is Grayed out and then once re-enabled with KFFA, the update is bright and does update.

I know a lot of people have complained about OTA happening even when blocked...
It looks like this Zip is not blocking.
I will try the LINUX rootplus to see if it blocks OTA...

Regards

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
I thought I would post here my experience with the latest 7.4.6 Amazon update.
I placed the update on my HD7" and was able to update.
When I booted, 2nd Bootloader/LOG was gone.
I decided to try this again.

I rooted the tablet and used Fireflash to re-load 2ndbootloader using the 7.4.3 series of Hashcode files.
Once I was not able to boot up into the 7.4.6 OS because the 7.4.3 boot image is used for 2nd bootloader as I expected.
I had downloaded, the 7.4.3.zip stock OS to the sdcard originally so, it was still present locally.
I flashed the OS zip and I was back to 7.4.3.
I downloaded 7.4.6 again to the tablet and again was presented with the Bright update Kindle in "More+/Device/About".
After, the update, I was again without 2nd boot and unrooted.
Point though is the update should not occur if the zip OS was in fact blocking OTA updates.
Is the zip file supposed to have OTA blocked?
I used KFFA to block updates as a second test and once disabled with KFFA, the update is Grayed out and then once re-enabled with KFFA, the update is bright and does update.

I know a lot of people have complained about OTA happening even when blocked...
It looks like this Zip is not blocking.
I will try the LINUX rootplus to see if it blocks OTA...

Regards

Well if you said that KFFA works, then why not keep that?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD 7 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Opensystem

galearned

Apr 6, 2012
Gainesville
Hashcode Stock OS Zips for 7" HD do not block OTA updates

Well if you said that KFFA works, then why not keep that?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD 7 using xda app-developers app

Yes: Of course, you would keep what works and in this case, KFFA works.

However a ton of people have used various other methods over the last year or two and KFFA is pretty new.
Lots of people have written in saying "why did I get an update when I am blocked?"
I was just offering a reason why.

You can find lots of pre-rooted ROMs on the forum that all say "Rooted, No ADs, and OTA blocked, Gapps, etc.".
The user takes that descriptor on faith and flashes the ROM thinking they have what they need.

In my case, I purposefully updated to 7.4.6 and needed a way to get back to an older version of Kindle OS.
I restored back to 7.3.0 then flashed Hashcode's, 7.4.3 ZIP OS.
It was there I realized I could then update to 7.4.6 which I should not have been able to do.
Just a point of information.

Another point or question is whether there is a difference between a true OTA update that takes place automatically and the case where the user downloads the update to the tablet and then selects "Update" in Device/about. I have always thought it might be nice to have an option where the OTA is blocked but, the user could still download and update manually. When the KFFA method is used to block OTA, both options are blocked.

Regards

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
Yes: Of course, you would keep what works and in this case, KFFA works.

However a ton of people have used various other methods over the last year or two and KFFA is pretty new.
Lots of people have written in saying "why did I get an update when I am blocked?"
I was just offering a reason why.

You can find lots of pre-rooted ROMs on the forum that all say "Rooted, No ADs, and OTA blocked, Gapps, etc.".
The user takes that descriptor on faith and flashes the ROM thinking they have what they need.

In my case, I purposefully updated to 7.4.6 and needed a way to get back to an older version of Kindle OS.
It was there I realized I could then update to 7.4.6 which I should not have been able to do.
Just a point of information.

Another point or question is whether there is a difference between a true OTA update that takes place automatically and the case where the user downloads the update to the tablet and then selects "Update" in Device/about. I have always thought it might be nice to have an option where the OTA is blocked but, the user could still download and update manually. When the KFFA method is used to block OTA, both options are blocked.

Regards

If you're trying to get a custom Rom, this thread is for you. If you wanted the newest Amazon update with working root, wrong thread

From the first step to the last, my guide can get you twrp and root and a set up for a new rom. No more, no less

Sent from my Android Kindle Fire HD 7 Running Cyanogenmod 10.1

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com

I don't think Hashcode removed the OTA Scripts. He may have, but I'm not sure.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all!

Do you want TWRP, a 2nd bootloader, and custom roms at your fingertips for your Kindle Fire HD? Well you have come to the right place! Over the past months, through trial and error, I've managed a full-proof, easy method to unlock the Kindle Fire HD's true potential. While this is aimed at 7" devices, it should work no problem on the 8.9 either - however you will have to use your head. These instructions are geared towards the 7", and you will have to realize what changes to this blueprint you personally will need to make with the 8.9.

!WARNING! WHILE THIS HAS WORKED FOR ME ON MULTIPLE DEVICES, YOU MUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY. I PERSONALLY SUGGEST YOU FIRST BUY A SkOrPn FACTORY CABLE IN CASE ANYTHING GOES WRONG. (Although using this guide, it almost certainly will not. Still, those cables come in handy!! :good:

Also, I would like to point everyone to seokhun's thread on this matter, which came before my own: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2271909

BIG thanks to LinearEquation for helping maintain this thread. Trust any advice he gives; it WILL help! :thumbup:

Although our posts on this process are essentially similar, he goes far more in depth on the process, and has an excellent troubleshooting section if something here goes wrong for you and I cannot respond to your question soon enough (although if done right, that won't happen :p)

Ok. Lets begin!

Step One: Download Kindle Fire First Aide, an amazing tool which is only getting better: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

This is probably the most work-intensive step, although once you have it you'll be glad you do. You are to follow the directions on this thread and install the necessary files, and adb drivers. This is necessary for your KFHD7 to communicate with your computer properly. When finished, make sure your Kindle has ADB enabled under its device settings.

lets see if you're ready for step 2. Plug your kindle in and check your device manager. If your kindle fire shows up as "android adb interface" then you sir/ madam are ready. If not, please use the Kindle Fire First Aide (hereafter referred to as KFFA) thread to find out where you went wrong. The answer you seek will be there, I promise you.

Step Two: BACK UP ANY FILES/FOLDERS/MOVIES/ETC YOU WANT TO KEEP. STEP THREE WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE!

Step Three: Here, we are going to use KFFA to reset our device to 7.2.3. Make sure you have transferred any backups you have made to your computer. Run KFFA and select the option that reads "Reboot the Kindle into Fastboot Mode". At the time of this posting, there are two options to do this. Try the preferred option first, and if that doesn't work, try the alternative method. Alternatively, just plug your kindle in with a fastboot/factory cable to get it into fastboot. YOUR DEVICE MUST BE IN FASTBOOT MODE FOR THE NEXT STEP

Step Four: while in fastboot mode, in KFFA, use the option "COMPLETELY RESTORE THE KFHD7 7.2.3. This will take a while, and you will be prompted at certain points to continue. I usually chose not to wipe user data at the end, as for me at least it takes forever and shouldn't be necessary.

Step Five: While still in KFFA, Disable Amazon's OTA updates with the option provided. This is important - If an update sneaks by, you will have to start from scratch!

Once KFFA says it's finished, unplug your device and hold the power button to hard-reset it. Now boot it back on. Your kindle will now be stock 7.2.3, with google play and superuser installed, along with root permissions.

Step Six: Here we go! Download the provided FireFlash11.apk, kfhd7-Freedom-boot-7.3.0.img, and kfhd7-twrp 2.4.4.0-recovery.img to your computer. Connect your KFHD7, make sure you check "allow installations of unknown applications" on your kindle's options (they will have reset thanks to KFFA, don't forget), and go to either the amazon or google play marketplace and find a file browser you can use to navigate to your download folder. Find where you placed the FireFlash11.apk, open it, and install.

Step Seven: Almost there guys! Open up your new FireFlash app. The first thing you (should) notice is that there is a warning that you have the incorrect bootloader at this moment. Check the box that says "Flash kfhd7-u-boot-prod-7.2.3.bin. scroll to the bottom of the app, where it says "execute", and press "flash, install script". Exit the program and reboot your device.

Step Eight: Now that your kindle has rebooted, open up the FireFlash app again. This time, you should see no warnings at the bootloader. If for some reason you do, STOP and retrace your steps. If you see no warnings, we're ready to install the 2nd bootloader and TWRP!! While still in FireFlash, under "boot partition" it should say "not flashed". Click on the "not flashed", and navigate to the "kfhd7-Freedom-boot-7.3.0.img" that we downloaded earlier. Check the box next to "apply stack override".

Now, under "recovery partition", again select the "not flashed" box and navigate this time to the "kfhd7-twrp 2.4.4.0-recovery.img". Once in place, check the "disable recovery auto update" box to the right. Now scroll to the bottom, to where it says "execute", and tap "Flash, install script" just like we did before with the bootloader.

Thats it! Select "reboot into recovery" from the Fireflash app if you're still in it, and if you followed the instructions and put everything where it belongs, you should wind up in TWRP after your kindle reboot (dont worry if you see the blue kindle fire logo for a minute before it enters TWRP - it's completely normal. From here you can install custom roms, wipe your cache, and most importantly MAKE BACKUPS! :laugh:

ATM I am using Hashcode's CM10.1 with the 1.5 ghz kernal, with Nova Launcher Prime and LMT launcher. It's simply amazing the difference in both speed and functionality. Hopefully, this guide got you there and now you too can enjoy a fully unlocked Amazon Kindle Fire HD!

Here is a link to the page for Hashcode's CM10.1, If you want to give it a shot I highly recommend it!! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2245335

One last note. I want to make it clear that I have not personally developed any of these tools, I've just organized them for you. The real ones you want to be thanking if this works are the developers. Thanks Devs!! :good:

Thx for this guide Opensystem. It made rooting and flashing my friends tablet so easy!

That it does. It was key to me getting my tablet modded out.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM 11 KitKat 4.4 using xda app-developers

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Flashfire11 won't let me check "flash kfhd7-u-boot-prod-7.2.3.bin. I can check every other box but that one.

Is that portion red indicating a need to check it? If you are on 7.2.3 already, FireFlash won't let you. Be real sure and drop you custom ROM on the root of your SD card before flashing first. This way if you do bootloop, you can move forward with less hassle.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM 11 KitKat 4.4 using xda app-developers
    Wow, I appreciate that. I'm humbled.

Where else but XDA do people help others out un-asked? I'm the humbled one to be part of such a great community. I see you helping all over the place, you're a true member :thumbup:

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Opensystem

Brilliant!!

Fantastic job mate.

regards
    fs1023

Check the bottom of my thread in my signature for instructions on installing a new ROM.