Search This thread

AspenMan

Jun 25, 2007
Denver
I've searched high and low and haven't found anything on rooting the new Toshiba Excite AT305. Apparently there's an issue finding ADB drivers that will work with it.

I've had mine for a couple days and other than not being able to root I love it.

Has anyone had any luck rooting this tablet? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Motochopper does work for SE models, but does not work past temp shell root for all other excite models, for whatever reason the SE has no sealime.ko loaded, so system r/w is possible, the AT300 and other models still have sealime.ko loaded after updating to JB, so either Toshiba made a mistake and it was left out of the ramdisk, or they intentionally left sealime inactive and any Excite users wanting root will need to repurchase an Excite from them.

I've contacted them about issuing an update for all non SE models to also have sealime.ko disabled. I'll probably be ignored, as everyone else has, I mean its literally a 2 minute change, I've done it myself, remove 1 line from init.rc, pack it up, done.

For those with the SE that are failing to gain root, its not 100%, if it fails to gain root, reboot, and try again. You'll also need to be on JB, its FB exploit isn't available on the ICS kernels.

For now I'm still tinkering with various ways around sealime.ko until the kernel source gets here.

Reactions: ohdev

sdancer

May 17, 2013
Motochopper does work for SE models, but does not work past temp shell root for all other excite models, for whatever reason the SE has no sealime.ko loaded, so system r/w is possible, the AT300 and other models still have sealime.ko loaded after updating to JB, so either Toshiba made a mistake and it was left out of the ramdisk, or they intentionally left sealime inactive and any Excite users wanting root will need to repurchase an Excite from them.

I've contacted them about issuing an update for all non SE models to also have sealime.ko disabled. I'll probably be ignored, as everyone else has, I mean its literally a 2 minute change, I've done it myself, remove 1 line from init.rc, pack it up, done.

For those with the SE that are failing to gain root, its not 100%, if it fails to gain root, reboot, and try again. You'll also need to be on JB, its FB exploit isn't available on the ICS kernels.

For now I'm still tinkering with various ways around sealime.ko until the kernel source gets here.

My AT300SE-101 Rooted just fine.

Thanks !

TURBOWANDS

Jul 7, 2013
Saint Louis, MO
new user thanks

Hey guys I just want to say thank you for all the work you have pored into rooting the at305!!! I can't wait until you guys get this solved because a rooted excite will be legendary! Anyway thanks again and keep up the good work :)

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Hi,
having a rooted shell waiting for input, isn't it possible to simply rmmod sealime at run time?

Nope, sealime won't unload without -f which the kernel wasn't built with for obvious reasons. Modprobe might work but breaks with busybox not being in xbin/bin, may be a way to fix that, haven't looked at it yet.

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

m4f1050

Apr 20, 2007
I've been using an AT300SE rooted,
advantages: titanium backup, connectbot, gscript, vncserver, openvpn, ... ... ... U get the picture.
DISADVANTAGES: No flashlight, No HDMI, microSD (to me that's a + others, - ), camera sucks but I use my Note II for pics..

I want my AT305 ROOTED! .... Toshiba... UGH!~

Wuestengecko

Jul 5, 2013
I guess if we could make the 305 unload sealime, we could also do this with the 300. At least I hope this, since I also have a 300 ;)

So, because our stock kernel loves sealime and doesn't want to let it go, we would need another kernel with the "force module unload" config flag. Can't we read out the kernel image of the stock rom, strip out the build configuration, add this one flag and recompile it to reboot into that kernel? I guess I oversaw a tiny detail, because nobody tried it yet.

m4f1050

Apr 20, 2007
I guess if we could make the 305 unload sealime, we could also do this with the 300. At least I hope this, since I also have a 300 ;)

So, because our stock kernel loves sealime and doesn't want to let it go, we would need another kernel with the "force module unload" config flag. Can't we read out the kernel image of the stock rom, strip out the build configuration, add this one flag and recompile it to reboot into that kernel? I guess I oversaw a tiny detail, because nobody tried it yet.

Someone already tried, they can't get it to boot after recompiling it. If you search google you will find the thread..

Wuestengecko

Jul 5, 2013
Here are some other naive and potentially already-tried approaches to the problem:
We're still stuck with sealime blocking write access to the system partition. Someone (can't remember the name, sorry) stated earlier that modprobe might work, but currently fails because it cannot be placed in /system/xbin - this would require to unload sealime first.

I don't know how exactly sealime blocks writing, but
a) would it be possible to bind-mount the system partition somewhere else and inject a su binary?
b) what about a "virtual" system partition made of a UnionFS (or other similar) with the original system partition underlying, where the driver projects the modprobe binary from somewhere else on top? This might work to trick the kernel into thinking that modprobe is in /system/xbin and allowing it to unload sealime. (I can't imagine this could work, because modprobe uses the same kernel methods as rmmod does, doesn't it?)

Top Liked Posts