471 posts
Thanks Meter: 927

Post Reply Email Thread
4th July 2013, 10:50 AM |#331  
Thanks Meter: 360

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xda163fm

Thanks it boots to the ubcd menu but the few items i have tried cause kernel panics. Must be my old machine or is anyone else having trouble after it is has been converted?

I did have similar problems with Hirens boot cd on an old hp laptop, luckily they propose an alternative Grub4Dos boot menu which worked for me.
4th July 2013, 01:36 PM |#332  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llacanon

None of the tools work for me =D, did u read my support email?

Yes, I replied 4 days ago, but maybe you're refering to another email?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeg725

I did have similar problems with Hirens boot cd on an old hp laptop, luckily they propose an alternative Grub4Dos boot menu which worked for me.

Yes, I can imagine keeping all those different tools looking at the same USB disk (instead of a CD) can be a challenge. Strangly enough my laptop works quite alright with it (FreeDOS and MiniXP).

---

Apart from that, I've submitted the CD-rom switching patch to CyanogenMods d2 kernel. You can find it here: http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/45105/
Once it is accepted, it'll allow the following devices to switch between CD-rom and USB:
Samsung Galaxy S III (AT&T)
Samsung Galaxy S III (Cricket)
Samsung Galaxy S III (Metro PCS)
Samsung Galaxy S III (Sprint)
Samsung Galaxy S III (T-Mobile)
Samsung Galaxy S III (US Cellular)
Samsung Galaxy S III (Verizon)

CD-rom emulation should already be fixed on these devices, so I haven't applied the other patch.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FrozenCow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FrozenCow Ad-Free
4th July 2013, 10:26 PM |#333  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 182

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenCow

Yes, I replied 4 days ago, but maybe you're refering to another email?

How did u message me back I don't have anything in xda inbox =/

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app
5th July 2013, 03:00 AM |#334  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llacanon

How did u message me back I don't have anything in xda inbox =/

I'm talking about email, not XDA's private messages They are replies to the support email you send through DriveDroid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrozenCow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FrozenCow Ad-Free
5th July 2013, 01:16 PM |#335  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 182

More
Quote:

I'm talking about email, not XDA's private messages They are replies to the support email you send through DriveDroid.

Oh god knows lol I checked my Gmail no message I don't know what email I sent it on lol anyway doesn't matter =)

5th July 2013, 07:49 PM |#336  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
For anyone interested in installing Windows, UBCD, Hirens or whatever, I've found a new tool for Windows that works easy, fast and is opensource, called Rufus. I've written another tutorial on how to use it with DriveDroid (though it doesn't differ much from the other tutorials):
http://softwarebakery.com/using-rufu...ble-usb-images
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FrozenCow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FrozenCow Ad-Free
6th July 2013, 01:07 AM |#337  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Quote:

For anyone interested in installing Windows, UBCD, Hirens or whatever, I've found a new tool for Windows that works easy, fast and is opensource, called Rufus. I've written another tutorial on how to use it with DriveDroid (though it doesn't differ much from the other tutorials):

Wow this is amazing thank you for sharing!!!
7th July 2013, 08:42 AM |#338  
Thanks Meter: 78

More
Hi Frozen Cow,

Thanks to the others keeping up the testing with you.

Quote:

Since it has GPT support, Rufus could help macusers (official or hackintosh) too. I don't have an Apple rig anymore but it should work.

Last week, I was visiting a friend who own a 21.5" Intel iMac, I hopped it'd boot even on Hiren, no dice, needing place on my phone, I hadn't my Windows Seven disc image. Then, my GS4 LTE didn't even mount on the desktop, even back in MTP but we lacked time to investigate why.

I'll ask my friend's son to try later with my former GS3 I gave to him, leaving it with many links to XDA to deal with his new device. Since he's actually studying development, it can be helpful to everyone.
7th July 2013, 02:22 PM |#339  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot Allures

Hi Frozen Cow,

Thanks to the others keeping up the testing with you.

Since it has GPT support, Rufus could help macusers (official or hackintosh) too. I don't have an Apple rig anymore but it should work.

Last week, I was visiting a friend who own a 21.5" Intel iMac, I hopped it'd boot even on Hiren, no dice, needing place on my phone, I hadn't my Windows Seven disc image. Then, my GS4 LTE didn't even mount on the desktop, even back in MTP but we lacked time to investigate why.

I'll ask my friend's son to try later with my former GS3 I gave to him, leaving it with many links to XDA to deal with his new device. Since he's actually studying development, it can be helpful to everyone.

Since Mac OSX only supports UEFI booting, this might be of help. I switched to a new PC some months ago and wanted to use UEFI booting on it. My PC did not recognize most of the hybrid ISOs as UEFI-compatible disks. I needed to format the disk with MBR+FAT32 and copy all the files from the ISO to the FAT32 partition. GPT should've worked too, but MBR worked also fine.
I'm not entirely sure how different Mac OSX works in this regard. I tried a Macbook Pro a few days ago and the hybrid ISO of ArchLinux seemed to be recognized, other images that I tried were not recognized. I think the image of ArchLinux does not have a GPT layout (since it already has MBR *and* ISO format... I'm not sure how sane adding GPT on top of it is for them, seems like madness ). So, I think Mac OSX should also be able to recognize MBR with a FAT partition. Just be sure the FAT partition has a EFI directory in its root with an EFI file in it.

Anyway, I was working on the test-image of DriveDroid a few days ago and added EFI support (so that people using Mac OSX can also test whether their phone actually allows them to boot). I tried it in an emulator and that all seemed to work. My PC also seems to recognize the EFI stuff (it just seems to exit immediately when booting though). I'd like to know whether this image does actually work on Mac OSX machines. If you or anyone else can, it would be great this was tested on a actual Mac OSX machine. You can get the image here:
http://softwarebakery.com/apps/drive...drivedroid.img
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrozenCow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FrozenCow Ad-Free
8th July 2013, 02:41 PM |#340  
Thanks Meter: 78

More
Quote:

[snip all this very helpful and interesting stuff]
You can get the image here:
http://softwarebakery.com/apps/drive...drivedroid.img

Many thanks. I'll keep you updated or my friend's kid (20 years old, actually) will.
8th July 2013, 07:52 PM |#341  
Flag Timon
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Man, this works great! tahnk you this might app! (samsung galaxy ace, gt-s5830)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
drivedroid, img, linux, ums, usb

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)